JES004

Babylon 5

On 2/7/2019 at 3:45 AM, John Potts said:

One of the funniest scenes (IMO) was Marcus & Stephen bickering about their wedding ("And that, your Honour, is when I killed him")!

"He's going to spend the night locking himself in the bathroom."

On 1/28/2019 at 3:06 AM, starri said:

I have to wonder if it's better or worse than Vir's "We have six" scene.

I have many thoughts about the way B5 didn't deal with gender issues.  I honestly can't think of a single scene that's just between two women from any point after Talia left.  I can't remember a single female Minbari other than Delenn.  Zero female Rangers.  One female Psi Cop.  Maybe two female EarthForce members that weren't Ivanova or Lochley.  And Na'Toth was only recast in S2 because they needed G'Kar to have someone to talk to in a few episodes.

In fairness, I did like Number One and really loved the ISN anchorwoman who needed a minute to compose herself when she was able to go back on the air once Clarke was overthrown.

That isn't gender issues, that is straight up sexism. 

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who hated Byron. The character and the way the actor played him was just insufferable. Worst of all because th idea of a telepath war had a lot of potential. Think of Bester using and manipulating Garibaldi and the fallout. Think of Bester training his young interns. How imagine a war for power and planets with an enemy that knew everything you were thinking. Could other races with telepaths help you develop defenses? How does espionage and intelligence work for both sides? Could a mundane hold a false thought and fool a telepath? That story would have been amazing. 

I loved Day of the Dead and I liked The Deconstruction of Falling Stars. I appreciated the homage to Canticle. 

Of course Londo and G'Kar were wonderful as we're their story arcs. I had a little trouble with Sheridan, not because I mind a hero, but because he never struggled with anything. He might as well have been named Dudley Do Right. Heroes overcome, but not without internal struggle as well as external. 

All that said, B5 remains a favorite. 

1 hour ago, AuntieMame said:

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who hated Byron.

You say that as if there are people who liked him. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ganesh said:

You say that as if there are people who liked him. 

I’ve never gotten to chat with other B5 fans until now, so I thought it was just me hating his every moment on screen. Which was a bummer because Lita’s part of the story had potential. The others really did use her when they needed her. If Byron has been less annoying that could have been an interesting story line. Even if the Byron character was black and white on the pacifism and/or the absolute demand for a telepath planet, this could have been written and acted in a way that was good storytelling. 

17 minutes ago, AuntieMame said:

I’ve never gotten to chat with other B5 fans until now, so I thought it was just me hating his every moment on screen. Which was a bummer because Lita’s part of the story had potential. The others really did use her when they needed her. If Byron has been less annoying that could have been an interesting story line. Even if the Byron character was black and white on the pacifism and/or the absolute demand for a telepath planet, this could have been written and acted in a way that was good storytelling. 

It was pretty much everyone. I ran a bulletin board during that period of time and no one liked Byron. There was a lot about season 5 that sat wrong with people but Byron was by far the one thing everyone agreed on. He was awful and we were hoping that the willow tree was cut down far sooner then it was. And then there was the singing. Your telepaths, send your song telepathically and don't make me listen to it.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 3:12 AM, Joe Hellandback said:

Interesting, is that official or just your own interpretation? I never thought of it that way but you are right, we naturally tend to side with the Centuri as they are so human. Plus of course they are the post colonial power whilst the Narn are the post colonised people, as westerners we see their viewpoint more. The scene where Morden goes around asking all the races what the want is pivotal, Earth isn't really fussed, the Minbari recognise him for what he is, the Narn want revenge on the Centuri but beyond that have no real ambitions. It's Londo despite possibly being the most peaceful of all the races who tells them what they want to hear, to restore the Centuri empire? 

Wow. I sympathized with the Narn, especially once we learned the types of manipulation the Centauri were using to make the attacks. I tended to equate the Narn with the indigenous peoples of the Americas, genocided for money and conquest by a race with superior war technology. 

don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Londo and enjoyed his storylines, but I never felt his treatment of the Narn was sympathetic even though it was easier to initially identify with the Centauri because of their human appearance. 

Edited by AuntieMame

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

To be fair to Londo, he objected to the use of mass drivers. 

That’s a pretty low bar though.  Let’s be thankful the Centauri didn’t have planet-killers.

The Narn were set up as the aggressors in the first 2 seasons. They beat back the Centauri, adapted their technology and built up a force to rival the Centauri. The Centauri were afraid of engagements they might not win, their empire was contracting and they were trying to guide Earth and reflect themselves in that glory. When Morden showed up, Londo felt like his empire was fading away, just like himself.

I would almost equate the Narn to the Americans, rather than the native people of America. Americans broke free of British rule and became an even bigger power. The British Empire then shrunk to a shadow of its former self. That's what probably would have happened to Centauri had Londo not met the Shadows. JMS tried to keep Londo on the knife's edge, showing how he could be taken in early on and how the Republic made the deadliest deals with the Shadows. Still, Londo was forced to rule over a destroyed plant by the Drakh, cruel but fitting punishment.

• Like 1