Jump to content
Galileo908

S27.E21: Simprovised

Recommended Posts

Quote

Homer takes up stand-up comedy to gain confidence in public speaking after making a mess of a speech at work; Marge decides to rebuild Bart's treehouse; the last three minutes will feature Homer "live" (actually Dan Castellaneta being motion captured) 

Share this post


Link to post

Bart's treehouse has been a lot, but it's nice to see an episode centered around it. Although there WAS an episode where Bart got an awesome treehouse...which burnt down in that same episode. I think it was Old Yeller Belly?

I really liked Homer being so desperate he drank down cans of corn (and creamed spinach). I can really relate to Homer's fear of public speaking. Everyone and everything staring at you, thinking you're an idiot for a minor mistake.

Sigh, Marge just had to act like a bitch again. But this time it seemed justified, Bart flat out refused to thank her for rebuilding the treehouse. So...essentially acting like the bratty kid that he is? "Kids are ungrateful, that's their job." At least Bart managed to apologize (with a bit written by Homer to boot!)

Homer really was great in this one.

The Live segment was...weird. I loved all the characters running through the screen, especially Kodos(?) and Bender. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I haven't watched this show all season but tuned in for the "live" element.

 

Eh...well they tried.  The first woman sounded REALLY nervous.  The second woman had the perfect Homer question though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Bart's treehouse has been a lot, but it's nice to see an episode centered around it. Although there WAS an episode where Bart got an awesome treehouse...which burnt down in that same episode. I think it was Old Yeller Belly?

I really liked Homer being so desperate he drank down cans of corn (and creamed spinach). I can really relate to Homer's fear of public speaking. Everyone and everything staring at you, thinking you're an idiot for a minor mistake.

Sigh, Marge just had to act like a bitch again. But this time it seemed justified, Bart flat out refused to thank her for rebuilding the treehouse. So...essentially acting like the bratty kid that he is? "Kids are ungrateful, that's their job." At least Bart managed to apologize (with a bit written by Homer to boot!)

Homer really was great in this one.

The Live segment was...weird. I loved all the characters running through the screen, especially Kodos(?) and Bender. 

Aside from the Drake reference, which wasn't all that specific, there was no real indicator that this was live.  I thought it was pretty underwhelming.  I thought it was odd that they referenced the fact that the show has been on for 27 years.

The episode itself was ok.  Bart has Treehouse envy.  Hasn't Homer had an episode similar to this before -- speaking in front of crowds.  It seemed really familiar.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

The episode itself was ok.  Bart has Treehouse envy.  Hasn't Homer had an episode similar to this before -- speaking in front of crowds.  It seemed really familiar.

Simpson & Delilah, from season 2(!!) covered this. No one listened to him because he went bald.

If there's anyone on the west coast, can someone report how that version went when it airs? I hope it's not as awkward.

Edited by Galileo908

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Aside from the Drake reference, which wasn't all that specific, there was no real indicator that this was live.  

Also, at least from what I've seen, Drake is getting decent reviews.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Sigh, Marge just had to act like a bitch again. But this time it seemed justified, Bart flat out refused to thank her for rebuilding the treehouse. So...essentially acting like the bratty kid that he is? "Kids are ungrateful, that's their job." At least Bart managed to apologize (with a bit written by Homer to boot!)

Doesn't excuse how her nastiness (unintentionally) psyched Homer out. Bart has ALWAYS been an ungrateful brat, why is she only just annoying this now? And why take it out on Homer, who didn't even do anything wrong except be happy about his own success.

So even when I'm supposed to feel sorry for her, Marge still comes off as a bitter bitch.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I thought seeing Marge rebuilding Bart's treehouse was a good call back to the episode where she became a master carpenter (although, it was never directly referenced in this episode) and I liked seeing how she dealt with that city inspector (I'll get around to it. Classic). Overall, I did feel that Marge was a bit justified on being a bitch to Bart, she literally built him an awesome treehouse and it seemed that he didn't appreciate what she did to him. 

I also liked Homer's plot line of become an improv comic. That was some interesting development and I can totally relate to the fear of speaking. Having everyone just stare at you is creepy and getting nervous is always a pain to get over.

The live part was okay but I felt that something was weird with Homer. I don't know what it was exactly; if it was just seeing his face move so little or what? Although, I did like seeing the characters moving around on the screen. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I loved the background gags in this episode, the signs at the improv studio were a lot to take in. Krusty is banned for among several reasons, corncobbing (don't ask)

Luigi's Medicinal Marinara got a great laugh out of me.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

There didn't seem to be much of a point to the live portion.  First, nothing they said showed it was live - Drake hosted SNL!  Toronto played Texas at baseball!  Second, why all the random distracting animation?  If it was to distract us from what Homer was saying, then that defeats the whole point.  But if we were meant to focus solely on the dialogue, why animate it?

Honestly, if you're looking for a better example of in-character improv, watch the Inside the Actor Studio episode featuring all 6 main players.

ETA Though I do think Homer's answer about liking Colonel Bernie Sanders' chicken was very funny.

Edited by futurechemist
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I wasn't that impressed with the Homer live segment, what I enjoyed most was Apu, his octoplets and his "free to good home" sign; Kodos (I think?) and the "don't blame me, I voted for Kodos" bumper sticker (I still have mine!), and Bender of course. Some of the Dan C. improv was funny, especially Homer referring to Colonel Bernie Sanders' chicken. Hee!

 

Enjoyed Ralph's elaborate tree house and Marge building Bart his own new tree house. Also liked Homer's improv SL, for some reason what made me lol was Homer and the other male improv comics sporting the de facto comic uniform of tee shirt and blazer with pushed up sleeves. 

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, futurechemist said:

There didn't seem to be much of a point to the live portion.  First, nothing they said showed it was live - Drake hosted SNL!  Toronto played Texas at baseball!  Second, why all the random distracting animation?  If it was to distract us from what Homer was saying, then that defeats the whole point.  But if we were meant to focus solely on the dialogue, why animate it?

Honestly, if you're looking for a better example of in-character improv, watch the Inside the Actor Studio episode featuring all 6 main players.

ETA Though I do think Homer's answer about liking Colonel Bernie Sanders' chicken was very funny.

Rangers won by TKO (or something to that effect) referenced the brawl.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I got both east and west coast on my Hulu, so I watched them both. Both still awkward although the questions were different. Same animations throughout though. Interesting thing, but they don't need to repeat it.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×