radishcake

S27.E20: To Courier with Love

The Simpsons are going to..." Paris (well, Homer and Marge are), but in order to be able to afford the trip, Homer has to smuggle an exotic snake into France so it can be made into a gourmet meal.

...Despite the fact that there have already been two "Characters Go to France!" episodes: The Crepes of Wrath in season 1 (Bart is an exchange student) and Bart-Mangled Banner in season 15 (some clumsy Patriot Act satire revolving around the family getting deported). Sigh.

Title Screen: Milhouse in a flying bouncy house!

Billboard: Burly Paper Pooper Towerls

Chalkboard: Dirty Clothes Are no Mother's Day Gift

Couch Gag: Football themed.

Couldn't believe they were gonna get rid of the Olmec Head (how they got it on wheels is another delightful mystery about it that this show will never answer). Also, anyone else notice Maggie drawing a Picasso on the wall? Or that Lisa was dressed as Madeline in France?

I liked the bit with Homer's tiny car. It felt like something Family Guy would do, but this show pulled if off better. I love that Jay Leno showed up to buy it...only to give it up when he discovered a modern car. The face that animated on him when he popped open the trunk made his cameo worth it. It felt like something right out of the Classic Simpsons playbook.

Hey, it's the wine guys from season 1! It's weird that their old designs made them stand out so much from everyone else.

I loved Marge listing off all the disastrous trips they've been on, even including Knoxville and the underground jockey lair but not the Grand Canyon trip from a few weeks ago. And the Knoxville trip had a courier plot, too.

I thought this episode was really good! It was nice to see more French humor, although I'm surprised that they didn't bring up Bart's random ability to speak French.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

I liked the bit with Homer's tiny car.

How would they have never noticed that old car before ?  And if it belonged to the previous owner of the house, when did Wiggum ever live there ? It wasn't like it was hidden in the garage behind the giant Olmec head all this time -- because the head has been in the basement nearly all the time.

I liked that the French police chief looked exactly like Wiggum.

But how was that snake not detected during the carry-on luggage x-ray ?

I also liked how the Springfield Air jet had Blinky the 3-eyed fish on the tail.

17 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

Hey, it's the wine guys from season 1! It's weird that their old designs made them stand out so much from everyone else.

I loved Marge listing off all the disastrous trips they've been on, even including Knoxville and the underground jockey lair but not the Grand Canyon trip from a few weeks ago. And the Knoxville trip had a courier plot, too.

I thought this episode was really good! It was nice to see more French humor, although I'm surprised that they didn't bring up Bart's random ability to speak French.

I'm glad that they brought back the wine guys from Season 1 -- I guess they finally got out of jail.

Loved it when Marge named off all those trips.  And it was kind of odd that Bart forgot he could speak French.

The caveman portion of the episode -- I get what they were going for (that basically nothing has changed in 50000 years), but it just wasn't funny.

How many times is this now that Marge needs more excitement in her life ?

I was disappointed that the evil wine guys never ran into Bart.  For Homer and Lisa, they were just 2 random French criminals.

The episode was decent, but nothing spectacular.  Definitely not my favorite episode featuring France or snakes.

• Like 1

I could not get "chubby dude in a tiny car, making friends both near and far, in this little town he's a shooting star, that's a chubby dude in a tiny car"  out of my head last night. Great, I think it's back since I typed it out!

It was just an ok episode for me but I did like Homer using Flanders' "keep" and "donate" boxes, Marge's hair knocking down all of the tv screens on the airplane as she walked to "the LOO-uvre," and French Wiggum and French Lou smooshed Homer's cheeks after he insisted they French up their kisses. :-)

• Like 1

I could not get "chubby dude in a tiny car, making friends both near and far, in this little town he's a shooting star, that's a chubby dude in a tiny car"  out of my head last night. Great, I think it's back since I typed it out!

For me, it's up there with "Bacon Pancakes" from Adventure Time.

• Like 1

A solid episode, but not a great one. I think its placement hurt it more than anything - we literally just had a family vacation last episode (and that itself felt weirdly like an updated season-one-quality episode, which makes Ugolin and Cesar feel like odd additions here), and we just opened an episode with a musical number three episodes ago. If they'd held this over until next season I think I'd have liked it better.

I was excited to see the French baddies from so long ago and do agree that it would have been nice if Bart had a scene - even a quick "Holy Merde!" or something just to acknowledge the history.  The car thing was really dumb - the fact they had never seen it was very odd and totally took me out of the story. I do like the travel episodes usually because the family works together at some point instead of constantly fighting.

moar police doggehs plz. I totally lost it at that point.

I didn't remember the criminals from S1, but I could have watched the episode from their pov. Six courses?! Are we peasants?!

Lisa got to play at her favorite jazz club too, and it was nice she and Homer bonded over saving the snake. 

• Like 2

That same afternoon, FXX showed all the previous France episodes so I had just seen Ugolin and Cesar a few hours earlier.

Aw, they had a Georges Seurat joke/reference.