SilverStormm

United Shades of America

Congratulations to Kamau & the United Shades team on the Emmy win!

Outstanding Unstructured Reality Program

United Shades Of America With W. Kamau Bell
CNN • CNN Original Series, All3Media America, Main Event Media

• Like 3

CNN original series “United Shades of America with W. Kamau Bell” will return for a third season Sunday, April 29, at 10:15 p.m. ET/PT.

• Like 5

Just watched the episode on Sikhs. There is a large Sikh population where I live in Canada, but I still learned in this episode and quite enjoyed it. 

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the Sikh episode. I learned :

That I've been producing Sikh incorrectly.

That they're not Muslim (not that there's anything wrong with being Muslim.)

I was also fascinated by the almond tree shaking machine (and had no idea so many Sikhs were into farming.)

Also, as the mom of an Army daughter, I was surprised and happy to see that a law got passed to allow people in the military to wear articles of their religion, such as beards and turbans. :)

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Like 2

I also thought the Sikh episode was really good. Sometimes I worry this show is kind of boring to people who already know everything they are talking about, and of no interest to those who don't. But I learned stuff this time, and they managed to do it without leaving behind the kind of middle of the road mild mannered accessible gee whiz friendly tone they've been trying to strike so as not to be too threatening.

I kind of want to move to Yuma, now. I wonder if the publicity will cause them problems, or just attract more friendly attention. If they have a  tourism board, they must be ecstatic.

• Like 1

Both Sikh and Gullah episodes really informative and funny. I'm a Kamau fan.

I kind of want to move to Yuma, now. 

I said to my husband: so is there affordable real estate in Yuba City? 

On 5/14/2018 at 9:02 AM, IvySpice said:

I said to my husband: so is there affordable real estate in Yuba City? 

I spent a week in Yuba City earlier this year.  The only thing I knew about it was Juan Corona, the serial killer whose victims were migrant farm workers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the real estate is affordable because it's a small city with not a whole lot going on.  For example, it doesn't have a university.  Chico, which is nearby, has Chico State and it's a much more vibrant town.  Yuba City is trying, and its downtown has something other than antique stores, which is always a good sign.  But it's nowhere I'd pick out to live.

The episode about the Sikhs was interesting because I'd noticed them walking around in numbers that told me it wasn't just random, plus some stores that obviously catered to them.  I figured they were recent immigrants because so many of them were walking instead of driving...in California.  Or maybe I just didn't see the ones who were driving, now that I think about it.  Anyway, they were a definite presence, and the show told me I was probably wrong about their being recent immigrants.