Kromm

In Memoriam: Celebrity Deaths

41 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I'm amazed Kirk Douglas is still alive and kicking. He's almost to 100!

Please don't put the mouth on Kirk!  He's not bothering anybody! : )

• Like 5

Billionaire Businessman William Louis-Dreyfus, Father of Emmy-Winning Actress Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Dead at Age 84.

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/westchester/bedford/2016/09/18/william-louis-dreyfus-obit/90622404/

Charmian Carr's sister is/was TV actress Darleen Carr, who's probably best known as 1 of the daughters/the daughter in Henry Fonda's, I think short-lived, ABC series The Smith Family. I think 1 took the name "Carr" from the other, but I forget who did it. Also, regarding use of the family name "Farnon" in acting I believe there's an actor or actress named Shannon Farnon who's part of the same family, but I don't know how they're related.

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To Add Some Comments/Change Some Info.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Blergh said:

And a sad way to go. :(

Well, to try to keep things from being totally gloomy, I think it's a bit odd that she claimed she got her stage surname of Carr due to the director Robert Wise believing that her actual birth surname of Farnon made her full name too long.  How come it was okay for Christopher Plummer and Eleanor Parker to keep their names, then? I seriously doubt anyone stayed away from the movie just because the latter two performers' names were 'too long' and their names appeared in the billing promoting the movie whereas Miss Carr's name only appeared in the  credits -along with  Nicholas Hammond, Heather Menzies, and Angela Cartwright all of whose names were longer than hers!

I would consider that story somewhat apocryphal for the simple reason that her sister Darlene Carr shared the same last name.

I remember when some Internet friends of mine and I organized a virtual tour of Europe a few years ago, and one of the stops on our virtual itinerary was a "Sound of Music" sing-along tour in Salzburg hosted by Charmain herself.  Watching the clip of the actual tour that she hosted, I saw how much she still enjoyed being associated with the movie and really didn't mind at all that that was what people remembered her for, unlike Christopher Plummer, who for decades made it plain that he HATED that movie and did everything he could do to distance himself from it.  It's only been more recently that he's made peace with the fact that many people still see him as Georg Von Trapp.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

Charmian Carr's sister is/was TV actress Darleen Carr, who's probably best known as 1 of the daughters in Danny Thomas' classic shows Make Room for Daddy & Make Room for Granddaddy. I think 1 took the name "Carr" from the other, but I forget who did it. Also, regarding use of the family name "Farnon" in acting I believe there's an actor or actress named Shannon Farnon who's part of the same family, but I don't know how they're related.

Angela Cartwright and Sherry Jackson were the daughters on Make Room For Daddy.

• Like 1

The In Memoriam Section just played on the Emmys.   Thought I was mentally ready for it.   But seeing so many of those we lost this year again hit hard.   The song was absolutely beautiful.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Willowsmom said:

Angela Cartwright and Sherry Jackson were the daughters on Make Room For Daddy.

You're right. I fixed it. Thanks. I heard the title of Danny Thomas' shows in my head, but saw pics of Henry Fonda's TV series--the right show--in my head at the same time. I went with Thomas' show 'cause I thought it sounded correct.

Hanson was also involved (writer, director, or both) with the film Bad Influence, which brought Rob Lowe back to Hollywood prominence (or at least closer to it than he had been) after his sex scandal at the 1988 Democratic National Convention in Atlanta.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 9:27 PM, Bastet said:

Yikes - I remember James Stacy from his Emmy-nominated guest spot on Cagney & Lacey, the TV movie about the accident that cost him his limbs, and his precedent-setting lawsuit, but I somehow completely missed the child molestation conviction and all the craziness that surrounded it.

Well, I clearly fell a bit behind on the James Stacy news.

The last time I saw him--on my tv, I mean--he was standing on a ski slope, with one stump and one ski, and was just so pretty, smiley and sparkley.

On September 18, 2016 at 5:47 PM, BW Manilowe said:

Also, regarding use of the family name "Farnon" in acting I believe there's an actor or actress named Shannon Farnon who's part of the same family, but I don't know how they're related.

Shannon Farnon was a voice actress;. I remember her best as Wonder Woman from the Superfriends cartoon.

Jaded,

That's so horrible for the Farrows and I hope someone in that extended family is actively trying to help Mia who has cared for so many but, no doubt, needs some very attentive care for herself.

• Like 2

Terence Baylor who played the Bloody Baron in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and was in Monty Python and more has passed away at the age of 86.

RIP sir.

Link to an article about his passing.

Source: msn.com

Do the Right Thing was eeriely prophetic of recent current events. Of course that stuff was going on back then too...

But RIP to Bill Nunn. Loved him in Sister Act and Regarding Henry.

• Like 9

On 9/23/2016 at 2:07 PM, AntiBeeSpray said:

Terence Baylor who played the Bloody Baron in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and was in Monty Python and more has passed away at the age of 86.

He had that great line in the crucifixion scene from Life of Brian: " I'm Brian and so's my wife!" .

That always made me laugh. R.I.P.

• Like 4

Awww... Bill Nunn.  He was such a good character actor.  I remember him mostly of course as Radio Raheem from Do The Right Thing and also as Duh Duh Duh man from New Jack City.  RIP.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, merylinkid said:

You realize that we still have 3 months of 2016 left?   We're gonna need a bigger roll of the dead.

I was thinking the same thing, only yesterday. 

This is terrible, he was a extremely talented young pitcher . I saw this small clip this morning and it made me smile.he aeemed to play witj such joy.He defected from Cuba when he was 15 and became a citizen. 

Edited by shoregirl
  • Like 4

Here's to Arnold Palmer!  

Raise a glass half of Lemonade and half of Iced-Tea in Tribute!

How many people have DRINKS named after them?  Oh. And that little Golf thing too.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Kromm said:

Here's to Arnold Palmer!  

Raise a glass half of Lemonade and half of Iced-Tea in Tribute!

How many people have DRINKS named after them?  Oh. And that little Golf thing too.

Golf is a niche sport, far more people knew him for the drink. And it's 75% Tea to 25% lemonade as told by the man himself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Golf is a niche sport, far more people knew him for the drink. And it's 75% Tea to 25% lemonade as told by the man himself.

I think it depends upon how old you are.  I think people, say, over 40 know him primarily for the golf.  

Doesn't matter about the tea/lemonade composition; the point is, the man had a drink named after him.  And I'm going to buy one tomorrow in celebration of his life, like @Kromm said. 

Also, when they're talking on the news channels tomorrow about Arnold Palmer's accomplishments in golf, and in life, I doubt very seriously that they'll even mention the drink, or if they do it won't be discussed that much.  

Edited by Ohwell · Reason: Just had to add that last sentence. Still shaking my head.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, merylinkid said:

I hate 2016.   Seriously this year sucks so bad.

RIP Arnold Palmer.   Good, classy guy.   

Word. Chill out 2016. Take a vacation.

RIP Arnold Palmer.

• Like 1