Kromm

In Memoriam: Celebrity Deaths

Ohhhhh, yes, "Shades of Gray". Lovely song. I remember liking that one a lot when I was a kid. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bastet said:

I know his program wound up being syndicated nationally, but he's forever in my mind as a local (Los Angeles) reporter, because he was a fixture here in the '70s and '80s.  I don't remember the specifics of how they were ripped off, but my friend's parents were the consumers he helped in one of his early segments.

He guest starred as himself on Alf when Willie(the dad of the family Alf was living with, got scammed by a mechanic and Alf gets him on the "Fight Back" show to catch the guy.

I still remember the theme song:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Davy has not been gone since 2012.   It's not possible it's been that long.

I realized looking at the dates, Peter Tork was only 2 years younger than my Dad.   They seemed so young on the show.   

Actually, Pete was the oldest of the four (born in 1942).  Davy the youngest ((born 1945).  

I remember having a conversation with my father (who wasn’t much older than they were as he was born in 1939) and he was surprised when I told him how old the guys were at that point.  Despite the guys being in their 70s now still makes me feel they were too young.  It’s weird when you see birth years in the 1940s and hearing news of their passing.  You forget they’re not 25 anymore.

Since the show and music have been around so long and new fans introduced over the years, they seem eternally young.  When the show was running on MTV back in ‘86, there were teens who thought the show was brand new!!

• Like 15

34 minutes ago, magicdog said:

Actually, Pete was the oldest of the four (born in 1942).  Davy the youngest ((born 1945).  

I remember having a conversation with my father (who wasn’t much older than they were as he was born in 1939) and he was surprised when I told him how old the guys were at that point.  Despite the guys being in their 70s now still makes me feel they were too young.  It’s weird when you see birth years in the 1940s and hearing news of their passing.  You forget they’re not 25 anymore.

When I saw the news yesterday I was shocked that he was 77. It is so easy for me to forget that when I was watching that show as a little kid that it was already 10 years or so off the air. I forget that they are all close to my mom's age (also born in 39). OTOH, maybe because I'm 52 now, 77 seems too young to go.

I'm glad I got to see them in the mid 80s even though Mike wasn't on that tour. I will also forever blame the show for me being such a collector of odd things. I was so fascinated with their apartment as a child.

RIP Peter.

• Like 12

22 hours ago, magicdog said:

Just now hearing of Pete's death saddens me deeply.  I've seen the Monkees at various times (and various pairings depending on who was willing and able to tour at a given time) and enjoyed all the work these guys put into their concerts.  Peter always came across to me as a sensitive soul.  He had battled alcoholism (sober since '81) and battled so many other personal demons before finally being able to comfortably shoulder being a Monkee, but also being Peter Tork -  musician, artist, part time actor, and full time character.  

I've been reading all the comments here about Peter and the Monkees.....oh man....It seems my childhood pops up so much lately.  Sadly, due to the death of my favorite singers, band members or idols.  Their music brought me so much happiness.  I still get emotional when I think of losing Davy....RIP Peter.  

Here's one of my favorites.  

• Like 9

46 minutes ago, UYI said:

He looked JUST LIKE HIM. WOW.

RIP. He was my age. 😢

Yeah, with that little bit of facial hair, I can see a very strong family resemblance.  He also had his grandfather's eyes.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jaded said:

And sadly, Clark Gable's great-granddaughter will now almost certainly grow up up no memories of her father- the same way her paternal grandfather John Clark Gable did being born six months after the Gable patriarch's death! Yes, the Gable grandson did have a strong resemblance to him. Oddly enough, he looked as though he could have not only been his grandfather's son but also Carole Lombard's- even though his own father had been born posthumously  and he had no genetic link to the onetime King of Hollywood's favorite wife! 

• Like 3

I didn't really know anything about Clark Gable's grandson.  But a day after seeing that post, I still can't stop thinking how heartbreaking it is.  No mother should ever have to post those words.

Edited by ElleryAnne
  • Like 2
  • Sad 10

4 hours ago, ElleryAnne said:

I didn't really know anything about Clark Gable's grandson.  But a day after seeing that post, I still can't stop thinking how heartbreaking it is.  No mother should ever have to post those words.

Nor should ANY parent have to suffer having any of their offspring leave this world before them! It's hard to imagine a worse tragedy. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

I remember reading that he and Elaine May had been a couple but I completely forgot until seeing it on Twitter. They were together since 1999, twenty years. My deepest condolences to her.

5.167125.jpg

Some clips from classic Donen movies:

Singin' in the Rain co-directing with Gene Kelly. Favorite scene is Donald O'Connor's "Make 'Em Laugh" number:

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers:

Funny Face:

Charade, The best Hitchcock movie NOT directed by Alfred Hitchcock:

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Like 11

I simply LOVED so many of Stanley Donen's films.  I well remember his acceptance speech for the honorary Oscar for lifetime achievement.  It was what all speeches on awards shows should be - funny, gracious, witty, charming.  

I will have to watch TCM's site to see when they do their tribute to him.  It really shouldn't be only 2 or 3 films, as they usually do, but 8 or 10!  

• Like 10

Some people just know when to make their exits...& so Oscar-winner Stanley Donen leaves us on Oscar weekend 2019 (like the late NFL football Hall of Famer & broadcaster Frank Gifford left us on the opening day/weekend of the NFL football season a few years back). RIP & L, Sir!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Some people just know when to make their exits...& so Oscar-winner Stanley Donen leaves us on Oscar weekend 2019 (like the late NFL football Hall of Famer & broadcaster Frank Gifford left us on the opening day/weekend of the NFL football season a few years back). RIP & L, Sir!

The night the Seinfeld finale aired, which many viewers found disappointing, Frank Sinatra died.  The next day the Seinfeld finale got very little mention with all the tributes to Ol' Blue Eyes.

Then there are deaths occurring on the same day.  A couple examples:  C.S. Lewis and Aldous Huxley both died on Nov. 22, 1963.  The entire world was focused on the assassination of JFK, so little coverage of those other deaths.  More recently, Farrah Fawcett's death was eclipsed by the death of Michael Jackson just  a few hours later.  

Someone is probably editing the Oscar's In Memoriam segment at this moment to include Donen.  I wonder who will get the final spot in the montage.  

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

I loved Peter on The Monkees.  "The Devil and Peter Tork" was one of my favorites, so sweet, and I liked the indulgence with which the other Monkees would sigh, "No, Peter," whenever he'd do something dim.  And for later years, I loved him playing Topanga's dad on Boy Meets World, especially in the episode where he, Davy, and Micky all co-starred and they performed together at Mr. and Mrs. Matthews's anniversary party.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, angora said:

And for later years, I loved him playing Topanga's dad on Boy Meets World, especially in the episode where he, Davy, and Micky all co-starred and they performed together at Mr. and Mrs. Matthews's anniversary party.

That episode is fun. I love Davy annoying everyone by horning in on whatever they're doing, and Peter being like, "You even drive down my street, you're a dead man." 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, bmasters9 said:

Morgan Woodward, known for being Punk Anderson on O-R CBS Dallas from 1980-87, as well as a host of other film and television roles, passed on Friday at 93.

https://westernboothill.blogspot.com/2019/02/rip-morgan-woodward.html

Wow. I have been re-watching Dallas on Imdb Free Dive, and he's been in quite a few of the ones I've seen lately, all about the Takopa development with Jock & then Jock's death. I was looking up Jim Davis a couple weeks ago, I was curious as to exactly when he died in relation to the episodes, and I saw that Morgan was still alive then. Amazing at that age ! I know it's not that uncommon to live that long, but it still surprises me. I can't think of one person, in all my family history, that has made it to 90. 89 is the best so far. Seems like most of the older characters from Dallas are gone now.

• Like 2

He was a familiar face from episodic tv westerns of the 60s, too.

• Like 3

Lisa Sheridan, CSI actress, age 44, (other tv roles as well) died on Monday.  Apparently, the cause of death is a mystery.  This article says the family ruled out suicide, but, not sure how when they don't know cause of death.  She was previously engaged to actor Ron LIvingston (Burger) of Sex In The City and had a reputation as a very sweet and kind person. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/lisa-sheridan-death-csi-actress-found-dead-at-her-home-aged-44-a4078691.html

• Sad 5

Composer and conductor (and winner of four Oscars and ten Grammys) Andre Previn has died at the age of 89.  As a teenager, he played piano at a Hollywood theatre, improvising scores at (silent) film screenings; I love this story:

"There was one of those huge silent epics which kept vacillating allegorically between biblical times and the Roaring '20s, and so I really had to pay attention," Previn told NPR's Weekend Edition in 1991. "But I noticed that each time they switched venues, as it were, it would stay there for a while. So we came out of a biblical time and back into people Charlestoning their life away. And I thought, 'Well, I'm safe for a few minutes.' And so I started playing 'Tiger Rag,' and I heard a commotion in the audience, and the manager was storming down the aisle. And I took a quick look up on the screen — and I was playing 'Tiger Rag' to the Crucifixion, which was a bad choice. And I was out on the pavement about three minutes later."

• Like 11
  • Sad 3

21 hours ago, Bastet said:

Composer and conductor (and winner of four Oscars and ten Grammys) Andre Previn has died at the age of 89.  As a teenager, he played piano at a Hollywood theatre, improvising scores at (silent) film screenings; I love this story:

"There was one of those huge silent epics which kept vacillating allegorically between biblical times and the Roaring '20s, and so I really had to pay attention," Previn told NPR's Weekend Edition in 1991. "But I noticed that each time they switched venues, as it were, it would stay there for a while. So we came out of a biblical time and back into people Charlestoning their life away. And I thought, 'Well, I'm safe for a few minutes.' And so I started playing 'Tiger Rag,' and I heard a commotion in the audience, and the manager was storming down the aisle. And I took a quick look up on the screen — and I was playing 'Tiger Rag' to the Crucifixion, which was a bad choice. And I was out on the pavement about three minutes later."

Andre Previn also is, if it wasn’t mentioned in the linked obit, the former husband of actress & activist Mia Farrow, & the adoptive father of a number of her children. This includes Soon-Yi, the Farrow-Previn daughter who went on to have an affair with, & marry & have 2 daughters with, embattled Oscar-winning director/actor/writer Woody Allen. Allen is the former longtime partner of her adoptive mother, Mia Farrow, & the father of at least 2 biological children from that relationship. 1 of these children—along with Ms. Farrow & another Allen/Farrow biological offspring has long accused Allen of, still more unfounded than not, incidents of child molestation against her.

Edited by BW Manilowe · Reason: To fix a sentence for purposes of clarity.
  • Like 1

Aw mannnnnnnnnnn!  While I couldn't stand Jessica Tate/Lois Whelan (Soap/Everybody Loves Raymond), I always liked the actress.  Can't stand ditzy tv characters.

Oh yeah, FUCK Alzheimer's!!

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Like 3
  • Sad 6

28 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

<sniff>  I talked with her a bit at a charity event for local animal welfare organizations, during her Who's The Boss? days.  She was nice, funny, and an animal lover -- aces in my book.  (Okay, she also told me I had beautiful hair, but I swear that's not the only reason I liked her. 🙂 ) I liked her on Soap, loved her as Mona on WTB?, and would tune in to Everybody Loves Raymond, a show I otherwise avoided, when she and Robert Culp guest starred as Debra's parents, because they were hilariously good.

• Like 19
  • Sad 4

Here's Alyssa Milano's tweet about Helmond, and I love that she included a fairly recent photograph along with the older ones (since it's so common to avoid showing old folks as, gasp, old).

• Like 16
  • Sad 16

33 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

Aw mannnnnnnnnnn!  While I couldn't stand Jessica Tate/Lois Whelan (Soap/Everybody Loves Raymond), I always liked the actress.  Can't stand ditzy tv characters.

Oh yeah, FUCK Alzheimer's!!

Lois Whelan on ELR wasn't a ditz. As Katherine explains, she based it on a rich couple she knew who were very self-absorbed and would travel and their child was indidental.

I first grew up knowing her as Mona, Angela's mom on Who's The Boss? where she was sharp as a tack. She was also Blanche before Blanche on The Golden Girls!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Like 8

21 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Lois Whelan on ELR wasn't a ditz.

You're right....still didn't like Lois though.

Bastet, she still looked good; I liked the recent pic as well. 

• Like 4