radishcake

S27.E19: Fland Canyon

Opening: Ralph as Charlie Brown!

Billboard: Quimby: Interns Wanted. Must be slutty and slender

Chalkboard: Dad swears he'll get his taxes done soon.

Couch Gag: Disney style! Of course it was GORGEOUSLY animated, since an actual Disney animator worked on it.

Remember that time when the family went on a trip to the Grand Canyon that looked like a really good advertisement for the Grand Canyon? "It's like Disneyland for thin people!" It was pretty much Homer Loves Flanders and Boy Scoutz in Da Hood if everyone was mean. I do like how it was all a story Homer related to Maggie, then Lisa. Of course Lisa's piece of the canyon had been tagged by El Barto.

I can see myself naming a band Hogwar Swanson.

That was actually pretty good.

Even though there were some oddly out of place things/references -- since Bart and Lisa have basically been 10 and 8 respectively for 27 years now, things like cell phones and Netflix didn't even exist when they were just two years younger.  It's weird.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Like 1

I think we can say that this was a different "two years ago" than when Homer worked at the bowling alley.

Even though there were some oddly out of place things/references -- since Bart and Lisa have basically been 10 and 8 respectively for 27 years now, things like cell phones and Netflix didn't even exist when they were just two years younger.  It's weird.

That observation deck also wouldn't have existed, it was installed in the last ten years or so.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 1

I thought that Bart and Lisa were only supposed to be 2 years younger than what they were in the present. Although, I do have to agree that they do constantly screw up their own continuity. For example, I thought that Homer lost all of his hair when Maggie was born but in this episode, he was fully bald. 

IMO, the episode itself wasn't too bad and I thought that the story was decent and it was nice seeing a living Maude. 

• Like 2

I enjoyed this episode. Enjoyed Homer and Ned teaming up. Made me want to go to the Grand Canyon(went once in middle school haven't been back in 15 years even though I have lived in AZ for 6 years.

The Disneyphile in me loved the couch gag. Interesting fact: the music they played when they were riding the mules down the canyon can be heard in Disneyland when passing the Grand Canyon scene on the railroad.

• Like 2

That music was the Grand Canyon suite by Ferde Grofé (thanks, closed captioning.)

I thought this was heavy on gags, and intermittent on continuity (they remembered that Lisa wasn't always a vegetarian), but it was fun.  Sometimes, like the Grand Canyon itself, I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

Although, I do have to agree that they do constantly screw up their own continuity. For example, I thought that Homer lost all of his hair when Maggie was born but in this episode, he was fully bald.

I think that is one continuity that is never the same.  For some bizarre reason, when he tears his hair out in When Maggie Makes Three, I remember thinking that that is shown to be different in another episode.

it was nice seeing a living Maude.

Especially with Maggie Roswell voicing her.

I did giggle at the bear needing to use the bathroom.

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Like 1

Yeah, it was weird seeing a living Maude Flanders in an episode that was supposed to be taking place "two years ago", since the episode where she died actually aired 16 years ago at this point. But yeah, in order to keep Bart perpetually 10 and Lisa perpetually 8 these kind of things have to happen I guess. 

Aw, I've missed Maude and her judginess. And I loved how Homer and Gordo really saw each other at the end…and then just turned around and walked away from each other.

I was really impressed with the Disney couch gag, Homer as Baloo the bear bopping along to the Bare Necessities knockoff made me smile, I heart that song. Re: the billboard in the opening credits, I thought Quimby's classy billboard read "Assistants Wanted, Must Be Pretty and Soft Slapper, No Dudes." Hee!

Seeing Maude was great, but my favorite part (aside from the couch gag), was Mrs. Lovejoy motioning to Rev. Lovejoy that she didn't want to vacation with the Flanders.  

• Like 1

I liked this episode -- it was nice to see Maude again, and I like it when Homer and Ned actually get along.  Plus, I adored the conversation between Lisa and the guide (glad he made it!).  They've done that recently -- inserted small little conversations that don't directly relate to the plot and don't have obvious jokes, but are nonetheless sweet/clever/touching/amusing.

I caught this while on vacation--not to the grand canyon though.

I liked seeing Maude so much I kinda just wish they would find some way to bring her back.  The way they killed her off was so pointless and cruel, and they've messed with continuity by the freakin longevity so much anyway.