radishcake

S27.E18: How Lisa Got Her Marge Back

When Marge takes Lisa to Capital City for a musical, the star tells Lisa how lucky she is to have a great mom; Bart comes up with a new plan to trick people.

Billboard: Kirk - Punch me in the stomach $5! Cash only

Chalkboard: Never Lose a Bet to Bart Simpson

Cough Gag: 2001 spoof I'm guessing? Either way I liked it.

Really loved the British Football stuff. Shary Bobbins! Paddington and Winnie The Pooh as a couple was yet another odd pairing I thought I'd never see on this show.

Man, this was a good one, I really liked both plots tonight. Lisa's was able to pull off that rare feat of being funny and heartbreaking at the same time. That hasn't happened on this show in a while. We don't see many plots that involve either Bart or Lisa with Maggie, so I liked Bart bonding with her.

The musicals in Capital City were great. I'd see "Cheney Get your Gun" and "Jesus Christ, Supercar." I also liked the spoofing on the trends of making musicals out of movies that aren't musicals (and casting American Idol has-beens in them). Of course Marge would go see Bad News Bears: The Musical. Mom taste, after all. I loved how the ghost of Walter Matthau gets a standing ovation. I also liked how they used Andrew Rannells here. (From The Book of Mormon! Not the Fat Guy!)

• Like 2

Marge and Lisa got to be some of the last people to see Bad News Bears: The Musical, since it's closing tomorrow according to that cab.

I would go see Riddler on the Roof, no question about it.

• Like 2

I got a lot of laughs tonight. Only nitpick was that NFL games from London are on earlier in the US, not later.

• Like 2

I liked Bart and Maggie bonding. That, at least, was new.

But everything else was yet another "Marge is the patron saint of martyrs and Lisa is just a pretentious brat lucky to dwell in her shadow" story. Maybe I'd be more sympathetic to Marge if every once in a while someone would call her out on her shortcomings. Like when she tried to manipulate Lisa back to Christianity, and didn't stand up for her when Rev Lovejoy called her a "devil daughter."

I just don't feel it with this show anymore. I think I'm done.

• Like 1

I liked the section at the start with Bart and his pranks, especially how no one would fall for the dollar bill gag -- that speech by Cletus was funny about how even he wouldn't fall for that.  And Hans Moleman has never needed glasses -- who knew ?

• Like 1

Marge and Lisa got to be some of the last people to see Bad News Bears: The Musical, since it's closing tomorrow according to that cab.

I would go see Riddler on the Roof, no question about it.

Sing me up for Riddler on the Roof! I would also like to see Men In Black: The Musical. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Like 2

Man, this was a good one, I really liked both plots tonight. Lisa's was able to pull off that rare feat of being funny and heartbreaking at the same time. That hasn't happened on this show in a while. We don't see many plots that involve either Bart or Lisa with Maggie, so I liked Bart bonding with her.

They did it last week with Smithers's plot. I do agree we need more Maggie plots though, although I guess part of the issue is her plots kind of have to be either "Maggie temporarily bonds with character X" (Homer, Moe, now Bart) or sightgaggy silent films (the Ayn Rand School for Tots, The Longest Daycare, that time Homer left her in the playground behind Moe's).

Actually, as much as the show now will never live up to the standards of the show twenty years ago, this season's had a few really, really strong episodes - this one, last week, the canon Halloween episode, even the one with Apu's nephew running the Kwik-E-Mart was pretty decent.

• Like 2

I forgot about Riddler on The Roof! Who would play him now that Frank Gorshin is dead?

Jesse Eisenberg, he already gave me massive Riddler vibes in his portrayal of Lex Luthor.

• Like 1

I laughed a little TOO loud when I saw the Cheyney, Get Your Gun poster. I would SO go see that musical, as I would Riddler on the Roof. 

I had totally forgotten that the Capital City Goofball has his own Statue of Liberty-like statue in the harbor, hee! 

Andrew Rannells was so great, loved when he told Lisa she was being an unappreciative little turd (those were not his exact words, lol) to Marge. Also loved Maggie and Bart bonding, they were too cute!

I loved that the theatre was named after Danny Simon (for non theatre nerds - he was Neil's older brother who was also a comedy writer and might have been the inspiration for The Odd Couple). And, Andrew was his normal adorable self.