SilverStormm

Long Lost Family

DNA kits have added to the fun for me and all the 14 people I have tested. Yes, there were some surprises. More good outcomes than bad for us. Some of the discoveries included close family. 

• Like 3

There was an episode a couple of years ago where a man had done a DNA test for fun. LLF had the woman, who was the subject of the episode, take a DNA test.

They didn't find her mother (I think she had died) but they found her father who was shocked he had a daughter. Didn't she show up on the test he took for fun? Or did he not bother to look at the results?

It's kinda maddening that details are sketchy. OK we shouldn't know all the details of these people's lives but if you sign on to be on the show then the relevant information should be part of it.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2018 at 3:17 PM, Enigma X said:

DNA kits have added to the fun for me and all the 14 people I have tested. Yes, there were some surprises. More good outcomes than bad for us. Some of the discoveries included close family. 

Yup, My DNA was sadly exactly as my parents told me it would be but I've had so much fun connecting the dots.  And the whole reason I did DNA in the first place because I know there were some family members placed for adoption and if they are looking I want to be a light for them.  Big DNA fan here.   But I do have a cousin, who totally did DNA because I talked it up who got an awkward surprise.  He's gotten other people tested since then, though.  So I think in the end he came to terms with what he learned. 

On 11/28/2018 at 2:56 PM, Horrified said:

On the flip side, he now knows about me and has never contacted me.  Why haven't we contacted each other? 

Or it is the ancestry contact me method and even if one of you contacted the other might never get the message.  *shrugs*    

• Like 2

There was a new episode last night. Did anyone watch? That was the first time I can recall an adoptee initially saying they did not want to meet but then changing their mind. I'm sure that has happened before, but they haven't really shown much of the behind the scenes discussions that likely happen before the the cameras roll. When the mother and daughter met, it was certainly awkward. I also felt that she was instructed by the producers to write her letter to the daughter in a certain way - it seemed way more about acknowledging her adoptive family than most letters on this show.

I really felt for the other mom who gave up her daughters but they ended up being abused by their adoptive father. When she broke down on learning that, I teared up. I can't imagine the pain and guilt she must feel about that. She thought she was protecting them by getting them away from their own abusive biological father. Such a sad story.

I noticed this show had yet another staged "important call comes in while one of the hosts is out driving somewhere". Do the camera people just follow them around all the time whenever they drive somewhere, LOL.

• Like 4

I immediately liked Summer and Krys. Debra seemed liked a sweet lady with a tortured soul and knowing her girls grew up to be beautiful women despite their shaky past, made for a good story.

I liked Pam and adoptive mom Deanne. Both seem like nice ladies. Jennie. Meh.

There was an early episode where a woman was looking for her birth mom and her own daughter she had put up for adoption. They found both however the daughter didn't want to meet the birth mom.

It was sad but Chris said she's young so maybe one day she'll change her mind.

On 12/18/2018 at 12:12 PM, Jadzia said:

There was a new episode last night. Did anyone watch? That was the first time I can recall an adoptee initially saying they did not want to meet but then changing their mind. I'm sure that has happened before, but they haven't really shown much of the behind the scenes discussions that likely happen before the the cameras roll. When the mother and daughter met, it was certainly awkward. I also felt that she was instructed by the producers to write her letter to the daughter in a certain way - it seemed way more about acknowledging her adoptive family than most letters on this show.

I really felt for the other mom who gave up her daughters but they ended up being abused by their adoptive father. When she broke down on learning that, I teared up. I can't imagine the pain and guilt she must feel about that. She thought she was protecting them by getting them away from their own abusive biological father. Such a sad story.

I noticed this show had yet another staged "important call comes in while one of the hosts is out driving somewhere". Do the camera people just follow them around all the time whenever they drive somewhere, LOL.

This was another episode that lead us down the garden path to a 1 or 2 minute reunion, then nothing.  It's getting to the point that we barely get any payoff for all the setup they give us.  I'm left wondering how the hesitant daughter felt afterward.  Did they keep up a relationship?  They don't even give us the text at the end anymore to give us a little bit of an update.  I almost feel like "What's the point"?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

This was another episode that lead us down the garden path to a 1 or 2 minute reunion, then nothing.  It's getting to the point that we barely get any payoff for all the setup they give us.  I'm left wondering how the hesitant daughter felt afterward.  Did they keep up a relationship?  They don't even give us the text at the end anymore to give us a little bit of an update.  I almost feel like "What's the point"?

Yeah. In the past and on the British series, you get an update. I bet they are going to milk the "afterward" updates for a reunion show.

On 12/20/2018 at 11:47 AM, Enigma X said:

Yeah. In the past and on the British series, you get an update. I bet they are going to milk the "afterward" updates for a reunion show.

They used to do a follow-up show but in the past couple of seasons they haven't done that either, so this is all we get now, unless they put something up on their website.  I think they put a few short clips up last year for a handful of episodes, none of which answered any of the loose ends they left wide open, and nothing new has been updated since Feb. of 2017.

On 12/21/2018 at 2:05 PM, Yeah No said:

They used to do a follow-up show but in the past couple of seasons they haven't done that either, so this is all we get now, unless they put something up on their website.  I think they put a few short clips up last year for a handful of episodes, none of which answered any of the loose ends they left wide open, and nothing new has been updated since Feb. of 2017.

You can download the TLC Go app and watch "Long Lost Family Where Are They Now?" episodes.

9 hours ago, chouston said:

You can download the TLC Go app and watch "Long Lost Family Where Are They Now?" episodes.

It's called "Long Lost Family What Happened Next" and there were only a few episodes following up Season 2.  We're now in Season 5 and nothing like that has been done since.

On ‎2018‎-‎12‎-‎09 at 8:20 PM, bybrandy said:

Or it is the ancestry contact me method and even if one of you contacted the other might never get the message.  *shrugs*    

You have to go to the ancestry website to send messages and check messages.  Some people may check their results when their DNA results come back and not realize that things could change as more DNA is submitted. Or they forgot their username & password.  When my DNA came in I saw there was someone, a first cousin or closer, and sent a message (simply asking if any of my surnames matched her relatives) and never got a reply until she checked online 18 months later.  I had ruled out one side of the family because she wasn't a DNA match for any of my known first cousins on that side. At 78 my new-found aunt learned that her mother was her mother, but her father was not her father (my grandfather was and she had known him as a family friend who she liked more than her own parents).  Anyone who could have known anything is dead, so we can only guess about who knew what and took it to their graves.  Though neither of us knew we had LLF, we were fans of the show from the beginning.  We had just submitted DNA to see if we could get further back in our genealogy.

Edited by deirdra
  • Like 3

I decided to catch up on this show instead of cleaning my house and doing everything I should be doing. The only thing that makes this hard to watch is how some of the adoptees talk about their adoptive parents. I would be devastated if I heard some of it from my child. I understand that we are only seeing edited segments and it’s a complex issue...but I wish more respect was given at times. Some of the adoptive families do seem to have not treated the kids welll. For those that seemed to have a good childhood, some come off ungrateful. It’s a weird dynamic and I probably don’t get it because I’m not adopted. I’m thinking specifically of the Robin/Marcella episode that rubbed me the wrong way.