Snarklepuss

The Kitchen

It’s possible they think the audience knows even less, not much, and would think that all sounded “authentic “ 🤮

I’d say shame on them, but they do this show—what shame would they feel capable of feeling? Katie Lee has reinvented herself as a food celebrity, so coupled with working the angles for the camera, it’s a wonder there aren’t more accidents.

Last year's season featured Eddie Jackson as a host. He did a great job  he was even able to keep Jeff a bit less annoying than usual. FN should hife him as a permanent host, he was really that good.

• Like 2

My DVR/cable guide shows next Saturday's episode as TWO HOURS. Is that a mistake or are they expanding the show?

On 12/10/2018 at 5:20 PM, bichonblitz said:

Katie is a dead ringer for younger Ali, though. Anybody else see it? 

I do, but also for Cecily Strong on SNL. I keep wishing Cecily would do a Katie impersonation on SNL, it would be hilarious.  A whole Kitchen skit would be funny, to me anyway.   Also, I can only watch Katie in small doses. She seems like a lovely person, and I like her "my grandma taught me" homespun southern thing, but her VOICE.  OMG. I cannot listen to her for very long.  

• Like 1

The most recent show was terrible. Very little cooking. Watching two guests make stuff out of pillsbury dough is a waste of time. The Kitchen is a lot of things, but it's no longer a cooking show.

• Like 2

This show continues to be the #1 rated show on FN and, understandably, I think part of that is because folks have it on while doing laundry and other chores on Saturday morning. I actually watched it today. Couldn’t believe it warranted 2 hours, but whatever. That being said, I would eat the crap out of GZ’s braised pork butt, if you know what I mean. Ha! That looked amazing. I was also surprised that he prepares fried eggs in the oven! I never thought of that. I like to fix them on the stovetop cause I can baste with butter to make sure the tops of the whites are done. But I’ll try the oven method. 

I enjoy Alex G as a guest and wish she still had her own show. She has good ideas and is personable. I don’t like putting bacon pieces in a pasta dish, but I do like the idea of drizzling in a bit of bacon drippings with some lemon juice. There is just something off-putting to me about bacon bits sitting in a creamy sauce but I do like the flavor of a carbonara.

Surprisingly, Jeff did not bug the shit out of me today. He was almost amusing! What has happened to me? He was funny saying that he’d sit in his basement eating a bucket of mac and cheese. Yeah, me too, if I had a basement!

I wish I had Katie’s metabolism. She likes to eat and never gains an ounce. Of course she isn’t my age. When I was young, I was cute and skinny, too! And I love her ring. It may be my dream ring. 

Sunny still bugs but nothing I can do about that. She wasn’t quite so loud this time and I liked her wig. 

• Like 2

I was surprised when I saw today's show was two hours.  I thought for sure my DVR accidentally picked up a rerun that would air right after.  Nope, it was intentional.

I have to give props to the first Pillsbury woman who showed her recipe today.  3 of the 4 we've seen so far have been charisma voids. They're not TV professionals so it's understandable, but the dead air has been pretty glaring.  The first woman today made sure to describe what she was doing, even if it was obvious, and worked quickly. She also just cut a piece for Jeff to try instead of making us watch her cut the whole thing like pizza lady did.  I don't know if it was the best recipe but it was the best presentation.

18 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

She likes to eat and never gains an ounce.

She probably doesn't show you the inspiring healthy stuff she eats in between her "good" meals. 

The Kitchen isn't FN's top rated show. It usually comes in 3rd or 4th.

FOOD NETWORK RATINGS FOR ORIGINAL PROGRAMS (February 4-10, 2019)
Source: Showbuzzdaily

(Rank/Show/Timeslot/# of Viewers/Demo 18-49 in parenthesis)

1--WORST COOKS IN AMERICA---Sunday 9:00PM---1,544,000 (0.45) 
2--KIDS BAKING CHAMPIONSHIP---Monday 9:00PM---1,506,000 (0.40) 
3--THE KITCHEN (Season Premiere)---Saturday 11:00AM---1,407,000 (0.27) 

2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The Kitchen isn't FN's top rated show. It usually comes in 3rd or 4th.

FOOD NETWORK RATINGS FOR ORIGINAL PROGRAMS (February 4-10, 2019)
Source: Showbuzzdaily

(Rank/Show/Timeslot/# of Viewers/Demo 18-49 in parenthesis)

1--WORST COOKS IN AMERICA---Sunday 9:00PM---1,544,000 (0.45) 
2--KIDS BAKING CHAMPIONSHIP---Monday 9:00PM---1,506,000 (0.40) 
3--THE KITCHEN (Season Premiere)---Saturday 11:00AM---1,407,000 (0.27) 

It was top rated for Jan 28 thru Feb 3 and is usually near the top. Suffice it to say, it’s always one of the top performing shows.

I got your point, @Spunkygal.  It doesn't have to be at absolutely #1 on a consistent basis to be a valuable ratings asset.  Which it obviously is.  And I agree that a lot of that has to do with the time slot.  If you don't want to be sitting in front of the TV on a late Saturday morning, and you're too old for cartoons in the background, it's an easy show to tune into.  You never know when a particular recipe might grab your attention.

I've been watching this two-hour installment in shifts of about twenty minutes each.  I like to see Alex Guarnaschelli when I get the chance.  (We knew both her parents--I worked with her mother, who was also my husband's editor on one book, so her face brings back memories for me.)  I haven't seen her pasta dish yet, so I have to do another shift at some point. 

On 2/16/2019 at 1:36 PM, Spunkygal said:

Surprisingly, Jeff did not bug the shit out of me today. He was almost amusing! What has happened to me? He was funny saying that he’d sit in his basement eating a bucket of mac and cheese. Yeah, me too, if I had a basement!

I didn't catch what the deal was with the macaroni and cheese--like it's shelf stable for decades or something.

But I howled when Katie told her story about Katie and the guest chef and her (10-year-old-ish) daughter being at "Bobby's house" one time, and Katie was in the pool and asked the daughter to get her an ice cube for her champagne, and the daughter chastised her for putting ice in champagne, and the guest chef said, "She's such a snob."

Then Sunny was making fun of Katie having a story about drinking champagne in Bobby Flay's pool, and Jeff noted that this was in contrast to his discussing the hoard of macaroni and cheese in his basement.

And when the younger Pillsbury person said she would use the prize money toward her dream of getting a food truck, Zakarian said something like "Good for you," which sounded completely heart-felt. 

I'm really enjoying these people, perhaps because they seem to be enjoying themselves.  Two hours is a bit much, but two hours of what they were like a couple of years ago would be unendurable.

Mr. Outlier wonders if Zakarian, in particular, was supposed to be playing a role, like the upper crust iron chef, and they've backed off on that and let him be who he is.  Works for me.

• Like 1