maraleia

Doctor Who in the Media

43 minutes ago, DanaK said:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/01/30/doctorwho-bbc-china-posters/?utm_content=buffer72f2a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

More info on the show’s upcoming debut in China including some very pretty posters. The article’s writer makes an interesting suggestion to not be surprised to see a future episode set in China

Nice art, but this is a terrible idea. What would a China story be about? Crushing resistance? Obeying authority? These are not Doctor Who themes.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Joe said:

Nice art, but this is a terrible idea. What would a China story be about? Crushing resistance? Obeying authority? These are not Doctor Who themes.

Also, in the recent past (like within this decade), China has banned time travel movies and tv, citing they "disrespect history" with the inherent potential to change the future by altering the past.  Now, this ban may have only applied to Chinese-based productions, so it may never have applied to Western programs like Doctor Who.  But an article I read about this also said that time travel wasn't really a popular motif in Chinese fiction to begin with.

• Like 1

It is a time travel show, so you could set it in in another time. There is a lot of untapped history there, after all.

China has over 5000 years of history. I'm sure they could find an interesting story in there. 

The Doctor has already been to China - way back in 1964 he spent a mammoth seven-episode epic travelling across China with Marco Polo (who had confiscated the TARDIS). It was a story about a group of unwilling companions learning about the culture in which they found themselves immersed, forging alliances (and enmities) along the way, pooling all their resources and ingenuity to fend off danger and eventually escape, and becoming a family along the way. The serial is completely missing today, but can still be experienced as a reconstruction, and is one of my favourite Classic adventures - slow-paced rather than action-packed, but beautifully written as a study of both character and culture. The Doctor ends up winning half of Asia in a game of backgammon with Kublai Khan and then stakes it all on one last game to win back the TARDIS - and loses!

So yeah, it would be perfectly possible for the present Doctor and her companions to have an adventure in China - which would not have to be set against a backdrop of the present regime! There is plenty of historical context to choose from.

Edited by Llywela

15 hours ago, Llywela said:

The Doctor has already been to China - way back in 1964 he spent a mammoth seven-episode epic travelling across China with Marco Polo

I think the article author meant actually filming in China as opposed to it being a story setting

9 hours ago, DanaK said:

I think the article author meant actually filming in China as opposed to it being a story setting

Yeah, I was more talking to the person who thought it would be impossible to set a story in China because they assumed it would have to be about the current oppressive regime - the show has already proved that is not the case, was my point.

Doctor #10 David Tennant's podcast interview with current incumbent Jodie Whittaker https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/jodie-whittaker/id1450005207?i=1000429677359&mt=2

Jodie comes across really well like I thought from previous interviews. She tends to have some panic about some things though, like trying not to overthink things and working to get into the character of the Doctor in the audition phases. If it were me, I would have probably stressed far too much about it

Edited by DanaK

On 2/12/2019 at 8:34 AM, DanaK said:

She tends to have some panic about some things though, like trying not to overthink things and working to get into the character of the Doctor in the audition phases.

That's funny to hear because I think you could definitely see that in her portrayal of the Doctor.

Anyone who likes Tennant and/or Whittaker should try to listen to the podcast interview. It’s a lot of fun. One thing that surprised me was that they set the show in Sheffield because Chibnall having a connection, not because of Whittaker

Just a note on famous Dr. Who fans. Stacey Abrams, who ran as the first black female for governor of Alabama (and lost), indicated she was a Who fan in a recent interview https://www.ajc.com/entertainment/brilliant-stacey-abrams-doctor-who-fan-and-twitter-aflutter/BDlv3p9ESDJbbFI8wVvemL/

Producer/showrunner Shonda Rhimes is also a Who fan https://www.shondaland.com/live/a26328702/shonda-rhimes-talks-doctor-who/

• Like 2

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/britbox-doctor-who-love-island-3666149

It looks like the Britbox streaming service is coming to the UK. The article says that British shows like Doctor Who will be made available on the service and that it’s likely previous seasons of New Who will no longer be available on Netflix UK. I’ve seen speculation that current seasons of Who could eventually be shown on Britbox first