radishcake

S27.E14: Gal of Constant Sorrow

After Bart accidentally sends a sweet homeless woman's cart into the river, he allows her to live in his closet for a small fee. When Lisa discovers that the woman is an incredible folk singer, she offers her own closet and plans a concert, only to be disappointed by Hettie's surprising substance abuse and violent nature. Meanwhile Homer tries to prove he's handy, but accidentally traps the cat in the walls of the house.

I can't believe that's an actual episode plot.

I liked Lisa showing Homer how to use a tablet. "Swipe it like swiping icing off a cake."

This wasn't the first time Bart brought a hobo home, and Kate McKinnon and Natalie Maines made Hettie enjoyable. Lisa, however, was kind of insufferable this week. Hettie does drugs, so of course Lisa thinks that makes her a bad person. And that was after trying to exploit her because she was jealous that Bart was keeping her in his closet. Sigh.

Loved the NPR studio, and all the background signs. I'd listen to "Left, Left, Left, and Middle."

"What time do you do your couch gags?"

"Around 11 in the morning, you'll be fine."

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 1

I liked this episode. I thought that the main plot (which to be fair isn't orginial for a Simpson episode) was enjoyable. Plus I did loved hearing more original songs (which I hope the show will put all of them on a new album) and I also liked the B plot of watching Homer freaking out over the cat being in the walls

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Like 1

Booths spotted at the Springfield Squidport:

• Let Us take your Selfie -- $5
  • Guess your Prejudice
  • It's a Wonderful Knife
  • Just Rainsticks

Krusty-branded or endorsed products:

• No Kidding Condoms
  • Dentist in a Box
  • Chocolate-covered rat poison
  • flamethrower
  • Lawn Darts
  • AR-15 assault rifle
  • My First Cigar -- child-sized cigars for easy handling
  • Flammable Pajamas
  • Not sure what was in the jar -- cooking something

People in rehab:

• Krusty (of course) -- playing ping pong with Disco Stu
  • Disco Stu
  • The Sea Captain -- doing scrimshaw
  • Barney Gumble (reading his own autobiography 'My Name is Barney G.')
  • Lenny and Carl doing yoga -- what are Lenny and Carl recovering from ?

I liked that Moe apparently works in rehab just to drum up customers.

There were a whole bunch of things that made no sense in this episode.

If Bart was paid a whopping $7 in advance for renting out his closet, how did he spend WAY MORE than $7 in his various adventures.  He dropped more than $7 just at the 98 cents store.  Especially since later on in the episode Hettie owes Bart 3 weeks back rent.

Shouldn't there have been a wooden floor under the tile in the kitchen -- something to support the tile and adhere the tile to ?  Even if there was a hole under that tile, shouldn't it have just lead into the basement.  So there was really no reason for Snowball 2 to be trapped anywhere.  And with all the studs in the walls, how did Snowball 2 travel all over the place behind the walls ?  And if there was always a giant hole in the wall in the basement, how come Snowball 2 didn't just come out on his own.  Why are the crawlspaces along the basement walls big enough to fit Homer ?  This whole sub-plot really makes no sense.

How was the refrigerator flat against the kitchen floor after it fell on Homer ?

Why did the EMTs also ride unicycles when they were carrying away the juggler who set himself on fire ?  Did the juggler have a spare, let alone how could the EMTs ride a unicycle while carrying a load ?

When Hettie starts singing in Lisa's room they show Snowball 2 eating lasagna under the floor boards ?  Which means that Homer has been stuffing lasagna in the walls for about a month -- because this was after Bart was pressing Hettie for her 3 weeks back rent.

I like Kate McKinnon and thought she did a great job as Hattie. I had to look up who was Hattie's singing voice tho, I know Kate can sing but that didn't sound like her! :-D

Liked seeing all of the Krusty-brand merchandise, I always do. And oh, can't forget the Mr. Sparkle cameo at the very beginning of the credits, loved it!

Yeah I recognized Natalie Maines voice and it was pretty different from Kate's speaking voice. I liked the A-plot because of the voice acting not because of the actual plot. Although the NPR thing was funny.

I actually preferred the silly B-plot and loved that Marge knew the whole time what was going on.