Jump to content
SilverStormm

The Rap Game

Recommended Posts

Haven't finished this week's episode but based on last week: Deetranada is crashing, it's hard to watch. She's talented but she's falling apart when it counts. Hopefully she'll get it together. 

As far as Ekko and the lyric writing, don't care because JD doesn't care. I think the drama was about the manager feeling insecure about what she had to offer her artist. She's not a writer so another manager with writing ability had her worried. All of the managers have their own skill sets, be it social media, advertising,  Focus on you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/5/2017 at 5:12 PM, Lyinfait said:

As far as Ekko and the lyric writing, don't care because JD doesn't care. I think the drama was about the manager feeling insecure about what she had to offer her artist. She's not a writer so another manager with writing ability had her worried. All of the managers have their own skill sets, be it social media, advertising,  Focus on you. 

So this brings me back to Season 1. If JD doesn't care if a writer has help with his or her lyrics, why was it such a big issue with Supa Peach? Why didn't JD say to the group, "Supa is 12. If she needs help with her lyrics, that's okay). He said it during the TH interviews but not with the 5 contestants, especially Miss Mulatto, who had the biggest problem with it. 

On 2/5/2017 at 5:12 PM, Lyinfait said:

Haven't finished this week's episode but based on last week: Deetranada is crashing, it's hard to watch. She's talented but she's falling apart when it counts. Hopefully she'll get it together. 

I like Dee more after getting to know her, but she needs to stop making this a personal beef between her and Tally. I do agree with her that Tally's lyrics are somewhat basic and aren't as poetic or rhythmic as some of theirs. But she needs to learn to relax. 

I wish they'd have another session working with mentors--professional rappers. I think that really helped during the first challenge, and I think the kids could use more of that assistance. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/6/2017 at 9:47 PM, nyahsky said:

Miss Mulatto and Young Lyric are beefing right now.  Go check out my reaction video all three of the diss tracks that came out! 

Nice. I'll have to show it to my boys later. We all love the show, especially Season 1. 

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I wish they'd have another session working with mentors--professional rappers. I think that really helped during the first challenge, and I think the kids could use more of that assistance. 

I agree. And I think Roscoe in particular could use some guidance. If he had an Ekko, he'd be in a very different place in this competition. Roscoe's mom will do a great job of protecting him and looking out for his interests. But she doesn't seem to know much about the industry or managing talent, and she doesn't appear to have the right instincts to guide him in his career as an artist.  He needs a creative mentor. She's no help at all, and in some cases has been a hindrance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, topanga said:

So this brings me back to Season 1. If JD doesn't care if a writer has help with his or her lyrics, why was it such a big issue with Supa Peach? Why didn't JD say to the group, "Supa is 12. If she needs help with her lyrics, that's okay). He said it during the TH interviews but not with the 5 contestants, especially Miss Mulatto, who had the biggest problem with it. 

Good point. I wonder if it's because of the season 1 drama that JD has decided to make explicit his opinion on the matter. E.g. I said don't care so squash it now. He seemed totally embarrassed by that season 1 behavior and not at all interested in a repeat of it. And the simple truth is many rappers have ghostwriters and collaborators anyway...his artist, being so young, will almost certainly be given that help too. 

Edited by Lyinfait · Reason: Technical difficulties
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

I agree. And I think Roscoe in particular could use some guidance. If he had an Ekko, he'd be in a very different place in this competition. Roscoe's mom will do a great job of protecting him and looking out for his interests. But she doesn't seem to know much about the industry or managing talent, and she doesn't appear to have the right instincts to guide him in his career as an artist.  He needs a creative mentor. She's no help at all, and in some cases has been a hindrance.

Agreed! Especially in the last episode. All of her nitpicking and input kept him at number 4...yet it was her hustle that helped make his money. I feel a little bad for him. He needs different guidance. I wonder if there will be switch up with managers this season? Those episodes are always interesting. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/6/2017 at 9:47 PM, nyahsky said:

Miss Mulatto and Young Lyric are beefing right now.  Go check out my reaction video all three of the diss tracks that came out! 

Great video. And those dis tracks are hilarious. I do think Miss Mulatto is more talented than Young Lyric as a rapper, but she still doesn't impress me. 

I've always wanted to know the details of the Miss Mulatto/Supa Peach confrontation. I'm sure Young Lyric exaggerated for the sake of the rap, but it sounds like Supa Peach was whupping that ass, at least until the adults broke it up. 

Sorry I keep referring to Season 1 so much. But so far, that was my favorite group of kids. 

 

On 2/9/2017 at 10:10 PM, Lyinfait said:

Agreed! Especially in the last episode. All of her nitpicking and input kept him at number 4...yet it was her hustle that helped make his money. I feel a little bad for him. He needs different guidance. I wonder if there will be switch up with managers this season? Those episodes are always interesting. 

I like those "switch the manager" challenges. JD does a good job matching up the kids and the managers. It usually brings out the best in the kids. And sometimes the worst in the managers, unfortunately. 

Share this post


Link to post

Hmm...I wonder. You guys were making me suspicious of JD--that he only brought her back because he planned to sign her. Like maybe he wanted his own white female rapper. I sure hope not. Like Dee said early on, Tally's lyrics are basic. I have no problem with a white rapper winning. But I'd have a problem with a talentless rapper winning simply because she's white. 

Glad Deetranada finally got #1. The kids seemed to like her.

And Nova is smelling himself a bit too much

Can't wait for next week

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I love Deetrenada. I don't agree with what JD said about making sure they know she's a girl. How? Come in softer? He wants to change her somehow but I absolutely love her sound. She may need work but the tone of her voice is so freaking good! Most of the time female rappers like Iggy or Tally's voices get on my nerves because to me it sounds like a bitchy girlfriend nagging at you but I love Queen Latifa and Missy Elliot because their voices can keep up with the boys while remaining feminine. I would compare Dee to these ladies and I'd love it if she won. There's just something about her low alto. I didn't like the sound of Jayla or the other little girl, I forgot her name. I didn't watch season one. Just saying, JD doesn't need to change Dee. You're a girl so you must wear your hair like this? or wear this dress, pose like this, sound like this, make sure a bunch of ten year olds know you're girly girl. No. I don't like him saying that stuff. She's not a girly girl most definitely. She has an edge. Let's keep it that way. No need for another Tally or even Flau'jay (sp?). 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

SoSo fake on the Tally goes home bs. I know the producers are whispering in her ear for one reason or another. If daddy didn't want her to be there, don't you think he would have said something at the beginning? None of that made sense. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Hiacios said:

The kids absolutely showed up and destroyed those arrogant assholes Durtty Boyz and their sadass rapper. lol.

But I agree with JD's rage that they were more motivated and excited about a rap battle than the actual competition--and the recording contract that comes with it. 

19 hours ago, Nowhere said:

SoSo fake on the Tally goes home bs. I know the producers are whispering in her ear for one reason or another. If daddy didn't want her to be there, don't you think he would have said something at the beginning? None of that made sense. 

Clearly it was all for the drama. But I felt bad that King Roscoe was genuinely upset. 

 

On 2/25/2017 at 0:01 AM, Nowhere said:

I love Deetrenada. I don't agree with what JD said about making sure they know she's a girl. How? Come in softer? He wants to change her somehow but I absolutely love her sound. She may need work but the tone of her voice is so freaking good! Most of the time female rappers like Iggy or Tally's voices get on my nerves because to me it sounds like a bitchy girlfriend nagging at you but I love Queen Latifa and Missy Elliot because their voices can keep up with the boys while remaining feminine.

This! I hate the screechy sound of some female rappers. MC Lyte has always been one of my favorites because of her alto voice and no-nonsense attitude. 

I like Dee wearing the two ponytails. It's feminine without being too girly-girly. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, topanga said:

Is anyone watching The Pop Game? Does it have its own show thread yet? #TooLazyToCheck

I looked for a show thread and couldn't find it. I watched the first episode and I don't think I can do it again. The girls are all terrible. The boys are ok. I guess Timbaland found some kids that got millions of views on YouTube and thought he'd find another Bieber. Now he's stuck finishing a season with a bunch of girls who cannot sing. The only interesting part is watching him cringe when the singers are off key, pitchy, flat or whatever and then trying to explain it away. I think he said once that attitude and stage presence is more important than if they can stay on key lol. What an embarrassment of a show for Timbaland. I dare say, he will be holding better auditions if he gets another season of this crapfest.

Just because you got views on YouTube doesn't mean you can sing. The Pop Game is proof of that. 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

Now he's stuck finishing a season with a bunch of girls who cannot sing. The only interesting part is watching him cringe when the singers are off key, pitchy, flat or whatever and then trying to explain it away. I think he said once that attitude and stage presence is more important than if they can stay on key lol. What an embarrassment of a show for Timbaland. I dare say, he will be holding better auditions if he gets another season of this crapfest.

Just because you got views on YouTube doesn't mean you can sing. The Pop Game is proof of that. 

I agree. Timbaland keeps saying that he likes Cravetay (what a horrible stage name) because she has so much swag and attitude, even though she constantly hits wrong notes and has a very inconsistent voice overall.

The best singer is the blond girl, and I like her, but she has absolutely no stage presence. That is something that can be taught, IMO. But honestly, she sounds like every other young female singer out there (Ariana Grande, Selena Gomez, Zendaya, the girls from 5th Harmony--I could go on and on).  

I like Timbaland as a producer, and I'm sure he knows talent when he sees it.  I'm just wondering how he selected these particular kids. Was it just based on YouTube hits?  There are more talented kids singing at churches on Sundays. I would have hoped there had been some sort of audition process before he picked these five. Maybe he's convinced that autotune can fix everything. 

I was just looking up the singer Jamia Simone Nash, whose voice has blown me away since she was a little girl. I can't believe she's 20 years old! She'll be 21 in August. I guess she's too old for the show. And she's sung on other people's projects and been on a Lifetime movie, though she's never had a CD of her own. So she's not totally "new" to the music scene. I still think Timbaland should scrap this show and sign her. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, topanga said:

I agree. Timbaland keeps saying that he likes Cravetay (what a horrible stage name) because she has so much swag and attitude, even though she constantly hits wrong notes and has a very inconsistent voice overall.

The best singer is the blond girl, and I like her, but she has absolutely no stage presence. That is something that can be taught, IMO. But honestly, she sounds like every other young female singer out there (Ariana Grande, Selena Gomez, Zendaya, the girls from 5th Harmony--I could go on and on).  

I like Timbaland as a producer, and I'm sure he knows talent when he sees it.  I'm just wondering how he selected these particular kids. Was it just based on YouTube hits?  There are more talented kids singing at churches on Sundays. I would have hoped there had been some sort of audition process before he picked these five. Maybe he's convinced that autotune can fix everything. 

 

The blonde sounds like the other singers you mentioned but she's nowhere near as good or consistent.

Cravetay is a brat and nowhere close to being as good as Rihanna. Timbaland picked a Rihanna song for her to perform because he knows she's well practiced in singing those songs and she would seem better than the other girls. It worked for the most part but even as she was singing a song by her idol that she's probably practiced since she was a baby, she still didn't nail it. 

They keep saying he picked them off YouTube. I hope he's smarter than that. The producers will have to do a hard edit to make these kids look and sound worthy of a record deal. They are not good. Period. 

The one kid that plays the uke has a nice voice. He has his own style and he's a little different than what is already out. He's the only choice I can see Timbaland having as a protégé because he's already good, he's kind of original, and he's itching to be molded into anything. But I have a feeling Tim is set on Cravetay. And we will know her record will be fake as hell. No way that girl can tour. Unless she wants things thrown at her.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

The pop game has its own forum now.

But back to the Rap Game, the Tally thing was the most half-assed fake drama I've seen in a long time. They didn't even try to make that believable.

"My dad made me leave." Right. And I'm sure he forbade you from leaving a note too, right? You just broke your contract, packed up, and took off and nobody in the house heard anything?

Then Jermaine comes in with his fake confusion. "I just got a message saying Tally is gone. Wow. You better find her because we have to have five for the cypher." Yeah. Like the cast is in charge of finding Tally. What happens if they don't have 5 for the cypher? They do it with four, genius. Or they just put the new kid in the house. Or don't do the cypher at all. I promise you, the cypher and the show could both survive without the weakest rapper in the competition. 

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

Then Jermaine comes in with his fake confusion. "I just got a message saying Tally is gone. Wow. You better find her because we have to have five for the cypher." Yeah. Like the cast is in charge of finding Tally. What happens if they don't have 5 for the cypher? They do it with four, genius. Or they just put the new kid in the house. Or don't do the cypher at all. I promise you, the cypher and the show could both survive without the weakest rapper in the competition. 

Or if Tally really just took off and was gone for a day, Jermaine would have ripped her a new one. During the hit list, probably.  Remember how upset he got when Tally rapped that she's an artist not a rapper? Remember how upset he got on this past episode when Nova said they were motivated to perform their best because of the cypher.  Oh, and remember how upset he got at Supa Peach when she started rapping to herself while Jermaine was talking to her? 

Share this post


Link to post

I was so so glad to see Roscoe paired with Ekko and that he really learned from it. I loved the way they worked together. Having said that, I was less excited about all of Ekko's talk about "giving" Roscoe a #1 as if it's his gift to give and Roscoe isn't working his little tail off.  For that reason, I was a tiny bit glad that Roscoe didn't get #1 because Ekko would've taken all the credit. But on balance, I do think Roscoe earned #1. His verse was better, and he was great in the video. Dee was good, but all of the faces and mugging in the video were cartoonish.

It was also great to see Nova served a big slice of humble pie. He is very talented, and was a clear front runner for a while, but Dee is right on his heels and I would not be surprised if she wins this.

Flau'jae is fading fast. I'm over the constant mentions of her father. She needs to work on her craft more. It seems like every week she produces these verses where she's rapping so fast she's out of breath and can't get her mouth around the words. She needs a lot more seasoning.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

This is the first episode I've seriously disagreed with. This is how I would have done the hit list:

1. Nova--I liked how he slowed down and then came in hard with how fast he raps. That makes up for the bars he missed in my opinion. I understood where he was going with it and I loved the contrast. He also worked very well with Mani and Mulato. 

2. Roscoe--I actually think he's a toss up for number one this time around. I LOVED his verses. I don't mind giving Ekko some credit because the dude is a good manager. Rosco is a good rapper. He needed somebody like Ekko to encourage and understand what he's trying to put out there, and for young men, mommy doesn't always cut it. She doesn't get it and she gives too many mom opinions, whereas Ekko was down with the lyrics and helped him get it in order.

3. Deetrenada--I love her. But I didn't get it this time. The rhythm was off or something. It just didn't sound good to me. Although, I am glad she got the top spot because I'm a Dee fan, if I'm being honest, she didn't sound right. 

Speaking of Deetrenada, I think she's pretty and she looks great when she's a little bit polished. I don't think she needed Tally's sister to tell her that her jean jacket was girly. Yay, Tally's sister. You really brought it. We get it. Y'all are pretty, but what do you actually bring to the table, girl? Face it. She's not a manager. She's a fame whore and this is her shot. It pisses me off that JD keeps telling Dee she needs to be girly. What does that even mean?? Just stop. Looking polished and changing yourself into a girly girl are two different things. She looked amazing in the video but for the love of God, stop saying she has to be "girly". 

4. Tally--She just can't move her body in such a way to make it believable that she'd be in a video with Mani and Mulatto. She can't dance, is what I'm getting at so she shouldn't be trying to choreograph. And yes she needs to stop bringing up that she's the white girl. We can see. 

5. Flau-Jae-- It was not her manager's fault that she decided to stay up until 6am changing shit. Her recording session was a mess. Her lip syncing was a mess. She didn't take the advice of her manager and decided to go rogue at the last minute and her mom wants to blame him? Get the fuck outta here. Oh and just a question because I'm unsure. Who is Flau-Jae's dad? I just can't for the life of me remember what his name is. Because she hasn't said it like A MILLION TIMES PER EPISODE! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/1/2017 at 10:22 PM, sleepyjean said:

The pop game has its own forum now.

But back to the Rap Game, the Tally thing was the most half-assed fake drama I've seen in a long time. They didn't even try to make that believable.

"My dad made me leave." Right. And I'm sure he forbade you from leaving a note too, right? You just broke your contract, packed up, and took off and nobody in the house heard anything?

Lol, that whole episode was such a waste. A nice breather maybe, but ended up having nothing to do with the competition. 

13 hours ago, Nowhere said:

3. Deetrenada--I love her. But I didn't get it this time. The rhythm was off or something. It just didn't sound good to me. Although, I am glad she got the top spot because I'm a Dee fan, if I'm being honest, she didn't sound right. 

Speaking of Deetrenada, I think she's pretty and she looks great when she's a little bit polished. I don't think she needed Tally's sister to tell her that her jean jacket was girly. Yay, Tally's sister. You really brought it. We get it. Y'all are pretty, but what do you actually bring to the table, girl? Face it. She's not a manager. She's a fame whore and this is her shot. It pisses me off that JD keeps telling Dee she needs to be girly. What does that even mean?? Just stop. Looking polished and changing yourself into a girly girl are two different things. She looked amazing in the video but for the love of God, stop saying she has to be "girly". 

UGH, this! The sad thing is this is exactly how it works in real life. Young kids are forced into these rigid 'gender roles' and when they waver, they're shot down or 'corrected'. I hate that Dee seems to absorbing all of it instead of sticking up for herself and her style.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

A bit behind, but my thoughts:
 

IMO, Tally and Disney channel reject sistager did that whole dip out for attention. They probably hoped there would be a will they/won't they return cliffhanger episode. All this after being invited back on the show and talking about proving yourself to the haters and now all of a sudden stepdad has a problem with it? GMAFB. I can't stand these two and can't wait for the finale when Tally gets to walk out yet again (third place probably) without a chain.

That boy the wack boyz brought in was just to test him with the audience for next season. Guarantee we'll see him then. Boring.

I hope they really do start doing eliminations now just so we can put Flau'jae and Roscoe out of their misery. They're not going to win this, let's be real. Flau'jae needs to stop rapping about her dad. She didn't know him, none of her contemporaries know of him, only people old enough to be her dad, from a very limited geographic region, know him, and those people aren't sustaining a market for a 12 year old girl rapper. Goodbye. Roscoe is corny, and he might have worked in a Kriss Kross or DJ Jazzy Jeff/Fresh Prince era, but no. It was nice to see him get a lyrical boost and confidence from Ekko. Funny how no one was complaining about Ekko's writing contributions on that episode.

Nova...I wanted him to win, and he's still the most consistent, but he's kind of a one trick pony. No more wow factor. Now I'm rooting for Deetranada. She seems to respond better to critique (even though she blew up a bit at the beginning) and incorporate it and be humble. Yeah, you have to be a bit cocky in rap but you also have to realize you aren't the boss and don't run shit in this game when you're starting out.

I will say that this season, I am so pleased with the way the adults are getting along and they way they all seem to encourage the kids. I was sick of the pettiness of the last two seasons and the managers being more childish than the kids. Intimidation, arguing, sabotage...that was disgusting and stupid and would make any real professional watching them have second thoughts about signing their little amateur artists...none of them are superstars enough to put up with that bs. 

Not suprised Mulatto and Mani haven't come out with anything yet. When was JD's last hit? He's just putting out these seasons as fast as he can to collect the Lifetime checks, I doubt he really even sees any market for these kids. Maybe their contracts hold them long enough to develop them as adults and he doesn't even have any intention of putting them out now?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

@sunsheyen Iggy wannabe and Disney reject are producer plants. That's why she was allowed to leave "because of her dad." I could tell JD knew about it and I could tell that their story was bullshit, set up by the producers. And surprise she comes back with the best rap she's had so far, in a battle no less. The producers are helping her. I'm not saying she'll win, but I think they thought there would be a good chance so they brought her back. Maybe JD wanted an Iggy but Nova and Dee are better than he anticipated and clear winners, or maybe they just brought her in for drama. They're giving her tips and she has a good edit. Think about how hardcore she came back, interrupting JD so she can dramatically throw her notes on the ground like she's a badass. What the fuck ever. It's so fake. What do you really think that sister is doing as a manager? So far I've only seen her sit there and look pretty. It all strikes me as a setup.

And she may still win. Apparently she already had a big following seeing that "roll wit it" sucked and was still number 2. So JD may look at it from that standpoint and give it to her. Remember how Mani pretty much sucked it up all season and Lil Key seemed like the clear winner but Mani still won because Snoop liked him? Yeah ok. They know who they want before this show even begins and then they make up scenes to support the decision. Thing is, I liked Mani so I'm not pissed. He just shouldn't have beat Lil Key just because he looks like Snoop Jr.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Deetranada needs a stronger manager. He's managed to learn how to keep her from complete meltdown and get her out of her funks without starting a fight...brother dealing with a somewhat volatile younger sister. I just see his eyes when they speak "diffuse the tension!": he doesn't seem comfortable telling her what needs to be done. She needs someone with more forceful attitude to match her own but who she respects enough to listen to. It was clear last week, he is only trained in dealing with Deetranada's behavior, he isn't able to manage another artist with a different temperament and needs. I felt the same of DJ. She is mom first and when it came time to simply manage, she didn't have much to offer her new artist. I was not at all surprised that King Roscoe improved with Ekko. I think JD should mix up the artists and managers and keep the mix for more than a week. The artists will be able/be forced consider who they are as an artist and the managers will learn other skills to help them work with their own artists. I guess that's not the point of the exercise though. It's just entertainment, not artist and manager development. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm still rooting for Deetranada but my GOD, I can't stand moody, sullen teenagers. She is so extra and spoiled with her pouting and sulking, and doesn't even have the good sense to not get a funky ass attitude with the person she is hoping to get hired by. At least when the others object, they can express their frustration without the eyerolling and disrespectfulness. She's making me not like her.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, Deetranada is still my favorite, but JD does not like dealing with moody, sulking artists. Dee needs to show that she's still teachable. Last week, Nova was upset that he got #4, but it was a wake-up call for him to work harder. I hope Deetranada does the same thing. I did like it when Flau'jae's mom spoke to Dee, almost mother to daughter. She didn't have to do that, but it was needed. I agree with Lyinfait that Deetranada's brother sucks as a manager. 

That being said, their beat was wack, but they made a nice rap out of it. I've been sing Dat Way all weekend. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

To me Dee had the advantage in the beat switch as she went last.  Nova the disadvantage, going first.   I totally called her as #1 this week.  

Share this post


Link to post

It did seem that watching the others was an advantage, especially as the beat switch up didn't sound as random as it could have been. But, Nova did ask to go first, as usual. I found it interesting that DJ ranked him so low and said he wasn't memorable at all. I didn't think he was as bland as all that. Given his cockiness, I thought the response was funny but still odd. I was with JD, lacking some energy but surely better than being memorable for missing lyrics, being out of breath, and being way off beat? Interesting. That's all I'm going to say. 

"It's impossible to prepare for this. I'm just gonna memorize as much as I can." Every time I heard that, I kept thinking why not practice over different beats with different tempos as preparation? Someone play the dj and randomly change up the tracks. Do like I do and change playback speed just for the fun of it (chipmunk, slow motion, normal). I can't be the only person who does that? Phrasing and flow have to change with beat and style...memorization did not seem like the only thing to do. When DJ said she would be at the computer if anyone wanted to practice, I was hoping to see her playing with tempos. Not sure we were shown what she intended though? 

Edited by Lyinfait · Reason: fun and funny are different words
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

When DJ said she would be at the computer if anyone wanted to practice, I was hoping to see her playing with tempos. Not sure we were shown what she intended though? 

I think that's what she was doing, though it was a bit strange that it wasn't shown.

This week's hit list was entirely predictable because it was telegraphed way before the end of the show. They made it too obvious. Tally was last because she was off beat, which was the worst offense of the week. Roscoe was second to last because wasn't paying attention and following directions. Dee and Nova were best at the rap challenge, and Holiday decided who got one vs two. Flau was fine, not the worst at anything and not the best at anything, so she was right in the middle. On the whole, all of the kids did better at switch the beat than I thought they would. I didn't watch last season, so I don't know how it went, but I thought there would be more fumbling.

Kelly showed up in full sweats, which seemed appropriate for the occasion...and sweats. Which seemed weird. I had no idea she was trying to be a fitness guru now. But if that's her deal, it was surprising that she didn't wear gym attire to show her physique. Maybe because she was working with kids? I don't know. It was an interesting choice.

I noticed last week that every time Roscoe gives himself a pep talk, he dabs at the end of it. I think he did it 3-4 times this week. It's starting to look like an involuntary twitch and it needs to stop.  And speaking of things that need to stop, Flau'jae needs to let Camouflage go. Referencing the deceased father she never knew in every rap seems either unhealthy, desperate, or lacking creative inspiration. Perhaps some combination of all three.

I think 12 year old Flau'jae is taller than Jermaine. I didn't realize how short he is until just now.

Edited by sleepyjean
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/18/2017 at 2:14 PM, sleepyjean said:

I think that's what she was doing, though it was a bit strange that it wasn't shown.

This week's hit list was entirely predictable because it was telegraphed way before the end of the show. They made it too obvious. Tally was last because she was off beat, which was the worst offense of the week. Roscoe was second to last because wasn't paying attention and following directions. Dee and Nova were best at the rap challenge, and Holiday decided who got one vs two. Flau was fine, not the worst at anything and not the best at anything, so she was right in the middle. On the whole, all of the kids did better at switch the beat than I thought they would. I didn't watch last season, so I don't know how it went, but I thought there would be more fumbling.

Kelly showed up in full sweats, which seemed appropriate for the occasion...and sweats. Which seemed weird. I had no idea she was trying to be a fitness guru now. But if that's her deal, it was surprising that she didn't wear gym attire to show her physique. Maybe because she was working with kids? I don't know. It was an interesting choice.

I noticed last week that every time Roscoe gives himself a pep talk, he dabs at the end of it. I think he did it 3-4 times this week. It's starting to look like an involuntary twitch and it needs to stop.  And speaking of things that need to stop, Flau'jae needs to let Camouflage go. Referencing the deceased father she never knew in every rap seems either unhealthy, desperate, or lacking creative inspiration. Perhaps some combination of all three.

I think 12 year old Flau'jae is taller than Jermaine. I didn't realize how short he is until just now.

  • I was pretty sure that Dee and Nova were going to get the top two spots on the hit list--I just wasn't sure who would get #1. I think JD is toughest on those two--he tends to nitpik their performances the most. Maybe it's because he's thinking about signing one of them? But then I keep thinking about last season. JD signed Mani, who never crushed it on the challenges. 
  • Kelly showed up in sweats, yeah. But she wore those high-ass wedges on her feet. She is really, really pretty, though. I liked when Nova rapped to her--it was a sweet gesture. But no one mentioned that she's married with a kid. 
  • Roscoe 
  • "Flau'jae needs to let Camouflage go." This. All day. No one outside Atlanta knows who the heck Camouflage was. It's not like her dad was Tupac or Biggie. She's definitely improving, but her articulation still needs work, and she always sounds out of breath. 
  • I thought Roscoe did well on the beat challenge--until he started licking his lips. LOL. 
  • JD is 5'4." Yes, he's short. But Flau'jae is also tall. Most 12-year-old girls are not 5'5" or taller. 
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/18/2017 at 11:14 AM, sleepyjean said:

This week's hit list was entirely predictable because it was telegraphed way before the end of the show. They made it too obvious. Tally was last because she was off beat, which was the worst offense of the week. Roscoe was second to last because wasn't paying attention and following directions. Dee and Nova were best at the rap challenge, and Holiday decided who got one vs two.

I noticed last week that every time Roscoe gives himself a pep talk, he dabs at the end of it. I think he did it 3-4 times this week. It's starting to look like an involuntary twitch and it needs to stop.  And speaking of things that need to stop, Flau'jae needs to let Camouflage go. Referencing the deceased father she never knew in every rap seems either unhealthy, desperate, or lacking creative inspiration. Perhaps some combination of all three.

I think 12 year old Flau'jae is taller than Jermaine. I didn't realize how short he is until just now.

 

43 minutes ago, topanga said:
  • I was pretty sure that Dee and Nova were going to get the top two spots on the hit list--I just wasn't sure who would get #1. I think JD is toughest on those two--he tends to nitpik their performances the most. Maybe it's because he's thinking about signing one of them? But then I keep thinking about last season. JD signed Mani, who never crushed it on the challenges. 
  • Roscoe 
  • "Flau'jae needs to let Camouflage go." This. All day. No one outside Atlanta knows who the heck Camouflage was. It's not like her dad was Tupac or Biggie. She's definitely improving, but her articulation still needs work, and she always sounds out of breath. 
  • I thought Roscoe did well on the beat challenge--until he started licking his lips. LOL. 

You two are cracking me up. I don't even have anything to add.  Sleepyjean, that dabbing nonsense. It really does start to look like a twitch. Topanga, the single word bullet point: Roscoe. Enough said really. Dabbing, lip licking. Hilarity. 

And Flau'jae with the father references. I don't know him but I've heard enough about him to need no further information. She's creating the shadow and living in it. Agreed sleepyjean, it is a combination of the three. She needs to find out who she is without the spectre of her dad's "fame" haunting her. 

Share this post


Link to post

If he doesn't sign Nova, he's an idiot. Nova and Ekko are a perfect pair. Nova is almost always flawless. The girls would buy an album just because, and speaking of that, he does have an amazing stage presence. The winner seems very clear. But then again, the winner seemed clear last season with Lil Key so who knows what JD is thinking.

I would also be happy if Dee won. I love her voice.

The others just don't seem ready yet. I don't know that there's a big market for subpar kid rappers. Although I love Roscoe.

Tally, just no, honey. I think she just wants to be famous and can't sing or act so she decided to try rapping when she saw Iggy. I really can't stand her and her pretend accent when she's rapping. She's not at all believable as a rapper. And her "manager" is useless. She literally does nothing at all. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

It really got on my nerves that Kelly Rowland wore super high heels with her sweats just so we would all be wow'd by how in shape she is. Look at me! I'm doing ropes in high heels! I'm the coolest and strongest! Now watch me do push-ups in heels! I'm better than you average folks! 

I would have loved it if she showed up ready to help the kids workout instead of trying to be cute. It didn't seem like she took them seriously and the heels made it look like a photo op for her. It was just annoying for me to see that.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Nowhere said:

It really got on my nerves that Kelly Rowland wore super high heels with her sweats just so we would all be wow'd by how in shape she is. Look at me! I'm doing ropes in high heels! I'm the coolest and strongest! Now watch me do push-ups in heels! I'm better than you average folks! 

I would have loved it if she showed up ready to help the kids workout instead of trying to be cute. It didn't seem like she took them seriously and the heels made it look like a photo op for her. It was just annoying for me to see that.

I think it showed that, as a performer, you have to be able to be onstage at your best, at all times. Dancing while singing/rapping live is very difficult, especially in costume. For women, this means being incredibly fit and able to move and dance in your stilettos while still looking and sounding good. I didn't take it as a showoff move at all. If that was the case, she would've been in a sexy/revealing outfit and done nothing at all. She was more than covered and still able to exercise and teach the kids while wearing performance shoes. Even the highest end performers have to do their dance practices in the heels (or something similar) that they will wear onstage.

Edited by sunsheyen

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, sunsheyen said:

I think it showed that, as a performer, you have to be able to be onstage at your best, at all times. Dancing while singing/rapping live is very difficult, especially in costume. For women, this means being incredibly fit and able to move and dance in your stilettos while still looking and sounding good. I didn't take it as a showoff move at all. If that was the case, she would've been in a sexy/revealing outfit and done nothing at all. She was more than covered and still able to exercise and teach the kids while wearing performance shoes. Even the highest end performers have to do their dance practices in the heels (or something similar) that they will wear onstage.

You have a good point but the reason she was there wasn't to show that they may have to dance in heels. She was there to help the kids workout. So I thought it was showoffy. There was just no reason for it. If she would have said that she wore heels to demonstrate that performance in heels is necessary then I would have totally understood. But that wasn't the point of the exercise. Not that I heard anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know what to make of the challenges. Nova is separating himself from the pack, although Dee is right there behind him. But in season 2, the challenges didn't matter. Mani never dominated a challenge but still got the chain. 

Glad Roscoe got #1. I like that kid. He's not ready to be a professional rapper, but he's funny and charming. 

Flau'jae, no one cares about your small-town dead dad except for you and your mom! I wish someone would tell her that. Much nicer, of course. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

There goes Tally again. Did the producers make her leave so they could have an even 4 for the battle? 

Tally is such a plant. I bet she's getting paid to stir shit up. And watch JD allow her to do the final performance. That would be a slap in the face to the other kids.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

JD acted like he was really surprised about Tally, so I don't know. 

Roscoe tore it up last night. Even if he did have a lot of help writing his bars, he delivered them to perfection 

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know why I am watching this show again.  I know that JD probably made his mind up on week 1 and the challenges don't mean anything (see Mani), but I still got sucked in.  I actually like all of the managers this time around (no creepy ones like Nia Kay's).

To me, the winner should clearly be Nova, with Deetranada is close behind.  They are the only two even close to ready to becoming professional.  However, I'm all set to be pissed off again as I imagine watching JD pick Flau'jae because of a surprisingly great final performance and his/his crew's respect for her father.  She seems like sweet girl and her mother is one of my favorite "managers" this season, but I don't think she is anywhere near the level of Nova or Deetranada.  She's got some serious breath and enunciation issues that drive me crazy.

Share this post


Link to post

I agree that if it is not Dee or Nova, it is not going to go well.  Flau'Jae is just too young and Roscoe is not ready.  They should have another chance in say 3 years. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/2/2017 at 0:41 PM, HZAnita said:

I don't know why I am watching this show again.  I know that JD probably made his mind up on week 1 and the challenges don't mean anything (see Mani), but I still got sucked in.  I actually like all of the managers this time around (no creepy ones like Nia Kay's).

To me, the winner should clearly be Nova, with Deetranada is close behind.  They are the only two even close to ready to becoming professional.  However, I'm all set to be pissed off again as I imagine watching JD pick Flau'jae because of a surprisingly great final performance and his/his crew's respect for her father.  She seems like sweet girl and her mother is one of my favorite "managers" this season, but I don't think she is anywhere near the level of Nova or Deetranada.  She's got some serious breath and enunciation issues that drive me crazy.

I feel like we're being set up for a King Roscoe win.  Nova and Deetranada are better rappers.  But I think Roscoe with his quirks and personality may have more marketable "star power".   JD like's his kid acts to be characters, not lyricists.  

Share this post


Link to post

I enjoy King Roscoe (minus the Burger King Crown) more than Deetranada and Nova.  Deetranada raps so fast it all sounds like mumbles and Nova....he's just boring.  King Roscoe has got star power.  Neither Deetranda nor Nova have it.  Everytime I hear Flau Jae speak....I wonder...who the hell is Camoflauge?  Tally reminds me of me if I had to battle rap....get the hell out of there before you get hurt girl.  Hilarious.  She should change her look cause she will always be compared to Iggy the way she looks now.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I can not believe my favorite actually won.  And I can not believe that my top two were actually the top two!  I don't know, but I really felt like JD was conflicted this time.  I almost thought he was going to say, "The chain goes to....EVERYONE!  I'm signing ALL of you!"  Seriously, it looked like a really difficult choice between Deetranada and Nova.  I was kind of happy to see Lil Key turn up in one of Deetranada's Instagram live streams though.  I love that kid!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

My favorite, for once, won as well.  I would have been happy if Roscoe won becuz that kid grew on me.  All in all I didn't walk away from this season mystified like last season.  Happy for Nova and good luck to him!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×