PreviouslyTV

Law & Order Needs To Jump Into The TV Stream

My sister has been after me for years so I finally started watching L & O (original recipe only so far). I couldn't believe it doesn't stream anywhere. My DVR is now one lonnnnnnnng list of episodes, which is fine but so very 2013. For the love of god, why hasn't Netflix picked this up?

• Like 3

Couldn't agree more. I haven't seen original recipe L&O since it went off the air, and haven't seen any of the classic episodes since A&E dropped it from their afternoon lineup. You'd think that streaming it would be a no-brainer, wouldn't you? I mean, Netflix (at least in Canada) is streaming SVU, why not the original series?

I don't have cable and so I agree 100%. Netflix used to stream the first like eight or nine seasons, and I watched them over and over again, and then one day they disappeared. Their absence is a hole in my life.

• Like 1

Yeah, Netflix used to have early seasons of "Law & Order" (through the Jamie Ross years, I believe) and a good chunk of "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" and then they both were removed, breaking my heart.

• Like 2

And to Dave's point on the podcast, it would introduce a good chunk of the audience to Ben Stone as those years, by the sheer numbers vs. the later seasons, pop up a lot less in repeats.

• Like 3

Does anyone know what the story is with Law & Order and streaming? Besides being annoying, it's kind of weird. SVU is all over Hulu, but CI and Mothership are impossible. I think you can buy all of CI on iTunes and Amazon, but I'm not actually sure. And you can't even buy all of mothership. Is it a Dick Wolf thing? An NBC thing? A copyright/royalties thing due to so many cast and crew members? Anybody know?

• Like 1

On Demand sometimes has it at random, to my delight and my husband's dismay, but it comes and goes like that weird rash you can't explain. I want a permanent Law and Order channel, dammit!

• Like 3

There is nothing more comforting to me as background than L&O Mothership episodes (CI will do in a pinch). While I'm working, on my way to sleep...there's a wonderful rhythm to them. But Netflix betrayed me when both series disappeared a couple of years ago. Boooooo!<br /><br />(Not to mention that the tv marathons run Rohm era episodes way too often.)

• Like 2

There is nothing more comforting to me as background than L&O Mothership episodes (CI will do in a pinch). While I'm working, on my way to sleep...there's a wonderful rhythm to them. But Netflix betrayed me when both series disappeared a couple of years ago. Boooooo!<br /><br />(Not to mention that the tv marathons run Rohm era episodes way too often.)

I actually contacted Netflix's feedback to ask that both the Mothership and CI be reinstated. No go.  :-(

• Like 2

It is really weird that Netflix dropped Mothership, limited access though it was. Was that messing up syndication deals?

That is the only thing I can suspect.  And maybe people prefer to watch it on TV when you're "surprised" by the episode being shown rather than choosing an ep.  I know that's me.  I've seen every ep so I like to be surprised by what I'm seeing that day.

On 12/18/2015 at 4:03 PM, TeeVee329 said:

I prefer McCoy at the end of the day, but I think there's good stuff in those early years, yeah.

Yeah, I loved "Indifference" all the way back in S1 and how Stone just wanted to "annihilate" Carla and Jacob Lowenstein. The Betty Broderick-based "Wages of Love" in S2, where Jerry Orbach first appeared as defense attorney Frank Lehrman, was another good early episode.

It's a shame that Seasons 1 and 2 seem to get short shrift in syndication.

• Like 2

I don't have cable and so I agree 100%. Netflix used to stream the first like eight or nine seasons, and I watched them over and over again, and then one day they disappeared. Their absence is a hole in my life.

You have NO IDEA.  I must have watched those eight seasons twenty times each, to the point that I had most of the dialogue memorized.  I had that on in the background all day.  When they discontinued it, it threw me into a state of listless withdrawal, and I have never managed to fill that hole.

You say that like it's a good thing.

...oh no you didn't.  We don't take kindly to people not taking kindly to Ben Stone around these parts...sir.

• Like 1

The syndication deals on these shows are driving me nuts. Some have the later seasons (16-20 are nowhere near as good at the previous ones). Some have seasons 1-5, etc. So it's hard to set your DVR to get the ones you might want to see unless you go through the upcoming episodes episode by episode, and even then they have been edited for objectionable language (despite originally airing on Network tv), or cut for more commercial time, or the ending is cut off by the DVR because the episode runs past the hour.

Amazon doesn't have all the seasons streaming, no one does. Not Itunes, not SeeSo, not Universal. I'm seriously considering getting the full season package on Ebay even though I'm trying to break away from discs (and I assume that once I buy them someone will finally get off their butt and put them all out digitally - it happened when I bought the first season of Cheers on DVD). The show is over 20 years old, it's shouldn't be this hard to get digital access.

• Like 4

On 12/18/2015 at 0:00 AM, mrsdalgliesh said:

There is nothing more comforting to me as background than L&O Mothership episodes 

I wish they'd do an All L&O On Demand offering.  They could have all programs on it, and rotate them on a [whatever] basis based upon topic: corrupt cops for a while, then move onto overly entitled rich kids for a bit, then onto people who don't like science so they explode a lab, then every episode involving Hudson U.

• Like 6

This link should show the nearest libraries (based on IP address, I believe) that have DVDs of the Mothership. Sorry that they don't sort chronologically very well. If anyone wants to check out VHS tapes, you can edit the search.

I've been very grateful to be able to watch the marathons on the free, over-the-air ION channel during at least one day of each of my chemo rounds.

• Like 1

Between WE, ION, and the Sundance channels, most every day is covered, and ITA -- nothing better than background Mothership episodes. But if you don't have cable, or travel and don't necessarily have TV access, you're screwed. I've had to buy DVDs of most of it; my favorite era was during Lenny Brisoce's reign, so I have Season 3 through Season 13 on DVD (need to get S14). But you can't take a laptop everywhere either; we need L&O streaming or on demand, somewhere!

Sundance at least has started showing L&O from the beginning with Season 1, so the Ben Stone fans, rejoice. (FWIW, I love me some Jack McCoy justice, but fully appreciate the Ben Stone era.)

• Like 1