radishcake

S27.E09: Barthood

Bart’s coming of age story a la “Boyhood” chronicles his life from six years old to his time as an accomplished young man. Along the way, his tense relationship with Homer, an overly uncaring version of himself, and Lisa, who overshadows him in every way possible, shape Bart more than he realizes.

That Rotoscoped couch gag was freaky. And should've been longer.

Weird that while Bart was young, Chief Wiggum and Lou were the same age as they are in the present.

I liked that for once, Bart was portrayed as a little boy! I actually felt...emotions for him! And they showed the kids age. Again. But more realistic this time.

Bart: "Do you know what it's like to be second best at everything?!"

Lisa: "Yes, I'm going to Yale!"

God, I love whenever this show bashes the ivy leagues.

This was a REALLY good episode. And I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this was the best flash forward episode since Lisa's Wedding. Everything just felt so right.

• Like 4

I never saw what it was based off of (liked the nod at the end to that) but man, this was a Feels episode.  Really good episode; loved the age and progression in general. 

And yes, Wiggum and Lou wouldn't have aged all that much since it was only 2-3 years before present day (if that); once I realized that I had no problem with it. (I didn't realize the time skips until Bart's 12th birthday cake). 

In any case, I loved this; very good job all around with the little details. 

• Like 2

And yes, Wiggum and Lou wouldn't have aged all that much since it was only 2-3 years before present day (if that); once I realized that I had no problem with it. (I didn't realize the time skips until Bart's 12th birthday cake). 

The thing I had a problem with was that everyone else was drawn younger. Abe, Homer, Frink. But not Wiggum and Lou.

It was sad that to see that while Homer finally opened up to Bart on why he was an emotionally absent father, their relationship remained strained. But the story overall was lovely, it was a good parody while remaining true to its characters!

• Like 2

Was that Kang or Kodos as Santa in the intro ?  And no Rudolph leading the sleigh ?

The rotoscoping couch gag actually looked pretty cool.

Since when did Abe ever have a cabin in the woods ?

I liked the younger version of Professor Frink as Bart's tutor.

Homer: "That boy is so much trouble. Never should have had a first born, shoulda skipped right to the second."

Liked the shade thrown towards Apple getting into the car business by Marge.

At the BMX Championship, the past champions' entrance was wheelchair accessible -- because of all the spinal injuries and such.

The scoreboard statistics were pretty funny: Broken Necks, Sketchy Endorsements, Stokage, Rad Moves, Career Air Time.

The hangtime on Bart's jump was kind of ridiculous -- and why did he fall straight down after spotting Lisa's shadow ?  Heck, the hangtime on Bart's helmet was equally ridiculous -- on the order of minutes -- even if it did hit him on the head after Lisa warned him to move. 

Why was Lisa's shadow so large at the BMX competition ?  And why when Bart woke up no one was casting long shadows at all ?  That was kind of stupid.

If Bart, Milhouse, Lisa and Nelson were all graduating, why was that bush party a Milhouse-palooza ?  Lisa was going to Yale, Milhouse was going to flight attendant school.  Yeesh !!

Maggie was kissing the grown up version of her nemesis -- the baby with one the monobrow.  Ha !!

I liked that the mural was scenes from the entire episode.

I also thought this was a lovely episode. 

I really loved that they showed how close Abe and Bart were over the years and how that came into play with Bart opening up that bike shop.

As someone who doesn't want Lisa to end up with Millhouse, I loved that she found a cure for Nelson's pituitary problem and they began dating. This all predates Bart and his two boys, Lisa's marriage to Millhouse.

• Like 2

This was a sweet episode. I've never seen Boyhood but using the device of seeing Bart in multiple ages was great. Out of all the possible futures that's been shown I think is my favorite(second being the Christmas future one). Also Maggie kissing Gerald!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Like 1

Was that Kang or Kodos as Santa in the intro ?  And no Rudolph leading the sleigh ?

The rotoscoping couch gag actually looked pretty cool.

Since when did Abe ever have a cabin in the woods ?

I liked the younger version of Professor Frink as Bart's tutor.

Homer: "That boy is so much trouble. Never should have had a first born, shoulda skipped right to the second."

Liked the shade thrown towards Apple getting into the car business by Marge.

At the BMX Championship, the past champions' entrance was wheelchair accessible -- because of all the spinal injuries and such.

The scoreboard statistics were pretty funny: Broken Necks, Sketchy Endorsements, Stokage, Rad Moves, Career Air Time.

The hangtime on Bart's jump was kind of ridiculous -- and why did he fall straight down after spotting Lisa's shadow ?  Heck, the hangtime on Bart's helmet was equally ridiculous -- on the order of minutes -- even if it did hit him on the head after Lisa warned him to move. 

Why was Lisa's shadow so large at the BMX competition ?  And why when Bart woke up no one was casting long shadows at all ?  That was kind of stupid.

If Bart, Milhouse, Lisa and Nelson were all graduating, why was that bush party a Milhouse-palooza ?  Lisa was going to Yale, Milhouse was going to flight attendant school.  Yeesh !!

Maggie was kissing the grown up version of her nemesis -- the baby with one the monobrow.  Ha !!

I liked that the mural was scenes from the entire episode.

It was Milhouse's party. And the Apple car was right out of Richard Scarry, I loved it.

Also, not the first flash forward that showed Maggie and Gerald as a couple.

EDIT: Concussion stats: 3 1/2

Edited by Galileo908

This was a surprisingly sweet episode!  I love that they gave Bart's future selves nuance, rather than making him a "comedic" loser type.

• Like 2

Is it just me or did it seem like both Sherri and Terri wound up being screwed up as they aged? That seems to be a recurring theme in the future-themed episodes, which adds some nice continuity.

I too liked this episode, it didn't feel as forced, if that's even the word I'm thinking of, as recent eps have been. I especially loved the glimpses into Bart and Abe's relationship, Bart and Homer and of course Bart and Lisa. 

Milhouse continues to creep me out no matter which flash forward episode he's in. 

Maggie and Gerald kissing made my night. From nemeses to smooches, who knew. LOL 

• Like 1

No, Ethan Hawke played a very loyal father in the film. Usually Abe was portrayed as the emotionally abusive Dad to Homer, while Homer tried to be a better Dad to Bart...yet still very neglectful to him. But Abe turned out to be the role model this time. There did seem to be a history rewrite.