Artymouse

Characters We Hate

5 minutes ago, doram said:

I think I liked April simply as a reaction to disliking Lexie so intensely and the show pitting the two on opposite sides so often. 

As annoying as Catherine's role in s11 was, I found her reasons for it (projecting her own custody battle for Jackson into this current situation) sympathetic enough to not hold it against her. And Jackson and April managed to move past it - you could even say that she catalysed their reconciliation because it was Jackson digging into the post-nuptial agreement that reminded him of the time when he and April were best friends, and made him realise that he had been acting like an ass for a long time.

I can't say I liked Jackson a lot this season and he's usually my favourite character. I felt sorry for him, but after a while, I felt he was just being unreasonable. He obviously still loved his wife so the only reason the divorce happened was out of sheer spite. Basically, he acted like a 12-year old all season long. 

Very good point! I did not think of it that way and you are right. I guess for me when I weigh it out the times she has done more harm than good kind of tipped the scales, however I know that she loves Jackson. No doubt about that. Maybe "hate" is too strong a word for her, but she gets on my nerves a lot of the time. 

Jackson: Yes. Now I love the guy, but he did act like a complete jackass this season. Or well, the majority of the season. I am definitely not saying that some of it wasn't justified, it was. One of the most frustrating lines from him was when he found out about April's pregnancy and he asked her if she knew before they signed the divorce papers and she said yes that she knew before - he says "Why? Why would you do that?" Well hell fella!!!! You've been talking about a divorce for ages now, you quit going to counseling because it apparently wasn't working, you served the woman divorce papers at work in front of God and all his people, and when asked if you wanted it right before the papers were signed you just sat there looking like "Well there's the pen...." so all of those reasons is his why. He can't have it both ways and at times I thought he was just doing it to prove a point. I have never gotten the impression he was "over" April at all. I mean just like him going on that one date but asking Alex and Arizona not to tell April because he didn't want her feelings to be hurt....well who cares if you are divorced and done with her?! I'll get off my soapbox now. 

• Like 1

I don't hate Jackson, I just find him to be bland.  Other than the fact that he is good looking and rich, I am not sure what his personality traits are.  He is a nice guy and seems to be a good doctor, but beyond that he's kind of generic.  I find that he does better when paired with a character who does have a strong personality like Catherine, Mark or Alex, so he can sort of play the straight, normal guy to their quirks.  I guess that includes April, who does have a strong personality, but I am not sure that they are good for each other in the long run, they just seem fundamentally too different to me.

• Like 1

I couldn't stand April and she was the reason I stopped watching the show a few years ago.  However, I have just finished watching the whole series (the last few seasons completely new to me), and I ended up not disliking her as much.  She's still not my favorite, but to me, she got better the last season or two.

Of the other current characters, Stephanie Edwards is really the only one I don't like.  Not sure why, just overall.

April also grew on me. Not a favorite, but don't dislike her as much. As did Arizona. Post plane crash. As said earlier, the darkness after that incident made her more realistic IMO. I'm also quite fond of Stephanie, she doesn't bother me as much as she seems to bother most. Jo on the other hand I despise. I find her so dull! 

• Like 1

I liked April up until the most recent season. There was too much of her acting unreasonably and then stubbornly refusing to see how her actions had led her to that point. In prior seasons, she didn't seem to have such a problem with self-insight. 

Stephanie was OK, just kinda bland and "there" until the Kyle arc, which made me actively dislike her. There's still time to make her more interesting, I guess.

Bailey needs to step down as chief and get back to terrifying interns. 

I will agree with you about Bailey. Rewatching the earlier seasons, I now realize that I miss her. She was great in the beginning. I'm not sure if it's the new husband but I find her too much now.

• Like 1

I can definitely see how people feel the way they do about April. She is not for everyone, that is for sure. I guess that is why I never get super defensive when other people have negative things to say. I get it. I didn't particularly want to like her either. It just happened! ;-)

12 hours ago, Deanie87 said:

I guess that includes April, who does have a strong personality, but I am not sure that they are good for each other in the long run, they just seem fundamentally too different to me.

I don't know that they are necessarily good for one another when it comes to living harmoniously, haha. I think they love(d) one another in spite of all that, but the situations they were faced with were just too great to tack on to those fundamental differences. It was too much too fast. I think they learned a lot from one another in retrospect, but I have no idea where TPTB will take it in S13. I'd hate to see them always fighting and hurting one another now that they have this little baby. For once, I wish a kid on that show could just grow up without a bunch of turmoil. This baby is the ONLY child currently on there that even has the potential to know what it is like to have her parents together. Everyone else is either divorced/dead/living across the country/you name it! I mean I am not looking for a remake of "The Waltons" or anything, but I feel bad for these Grey's kids! 

Another one I didn't like was Burke. My reasons are so plentiful that I am not even going to get into it. I just never liked him. 

• Like 3

Oh Hahn.............

She was horrible. All I ever saw with her was her down in that hole on Silence of the Lambs. 

Glad they sent that ship sailing quick as they did! 

On 6/24/2016 at 9:51 AM, doram said:

Never been able to get past Stephanie Edwards' hypocrisy or her self-inflicted sense of victimisation after Jackson dumped her. I think the writing failed to show that her relationship with him was anything more than a convenient booty call for both of them, so her feelings of hurt/humiliation over what happened always seemed out of proportion, especially since there was zero focus on Matthew who was actually the person left on the altar. Since then, the show's tried to keep her relevant and interesting, but nothing has worked.

Like her or not, that is an incredibly humiliating thing for anyone to have to experience.  It doesn't matter I how long you've been dating someone, if they publicly dump you by interrupting someone else's wedding and running away with the bride I think you have the right to be as pissed and bitter as you need to be.  Especially since they both work with the people who witnessed the whole thing.  IRL she'd be an object of pity and ridicule.  I think on the show they were making is painfully obvious that she was at least falling in love with him. Same deal with Matthew, but at least he didn't know them or work with them and that sort of thing plays out worse on women it than it does on men.

• Like 3

Re-watched S1-S3 several times.  I am CONVINCED that Denny was what turned an edgy/witty medical drama into a mediocre prime time soap.  The killing of Denny made for some GREAT episodes, but the huge stretches they made by betraying reality killed the awesomeness of the show.  It became mediocre in the aftermath of Denny's death.  Izzie could have/should have lost her medical licence. Had they done that, they would have been able to keep the show together.  I HATE Denny, not because he sucks...but because he lead the writers to believe that they could get away with murder on this show.  The show lost its credibility.  

Addison-  Great, great, great reveal at the end of S1, but they should have kept to the original plan of keeping her arc to a few episodes.  It dragged on and on for too long.   So, while I like Addison....I feel like she hurt the show with cast bloat.  Her story wasn't necessary after the "Derek was married" reveal.  She should hatve done the consult, had him sign divorce papers...and been done with it.  

Callie-  Sara was brought on the show because Shonda had a girl crush on her singing voice, if I recall.  Her character was fine as a series regular, but Gizzie killed her character for me.  I loved her with George because it was awkward & unpredictable...but it seemed to work well.  I wish they would have worked out their issues, and stayed together.  Gizzie was SO gross.  Just so bad.  Callie sold me on her heterosexuality, so it was hard for me to swallow her bi-sexuality, especially after watching her chemistry with George & Mark.  There was NO chemistry with Hahn, IMO.  In that regard, I am not a Callie fan & I'm not sad that she ran away with dishrag.  

Without Addison's arc we wouldn't have met Mark.  Fine by me.  He added to cast bloat. 

Owen-  He's always been a waste of storyline.  

I hated Izzie, but I think if she had been dealt with properly after Denny I would have felt differently.  It would have been interesting to explore what one does after losing their medical licence.  

The brilliance came from original stories between Derek/Burke  Mer/Der  Cristina/Mer  Cristina/Burke  George/Burke  Weber being a hard ass.  Bailey being the real Bailey.  Alex being a jerk, but being sweet with Izzie  Izzie/Alex  Izzie/George (before the disaster of Gizzie)  Bailey/Derek (Marching band geeks!) 

It was so brilliant.  Cast bloat and a run away writers room killed the shows shine.  

• Like 5

On 7/18/2016 at 5:35 PM, DearEvette said:

Like her or not, that is an incredibly humiliating thing for anyone to have to experience.  It doesn't matter I how long you've been dating someone, if they publicly dump you by interrupting someone else's wedding and running away with the bride I think you have the right to be as pissed and bitter as you need to be.  Especially since they both work with the people who witnessed the whole thing.  IRL she'd be an object of pity and ridicule.  I think on the show they were making is painfully obvious that she was at least falling in love with him. Same deal with Matthew, but at least he didn't know them or work with them and that sort of thing plays out worse on women it than it does on men.

Yes, I do agree with this. While Jackson and April are my favorites, I did feel bad for Matthew and Stephanie in that whole debacle. That was humiliating for sure. Stephanie had to go back to work after most of the people she works with watched that happen. Matthew at least had the luxury of going elsewhere. Jackson and April knew all along they wanted to be together and they should have grown up and admitted it to one another rather than dragging two innocent people into it. I know that wedding scene is iconic for fans of the couple, but I did not feel the same way. 

• Like 5

I'm rewatching and am on season 8.  I find that Derek is an ass who spends time trying to change Meredith rather than love her for what she is.  Owen is annoying AF.  He went with her to abort their kid, but then gets so mad he has an affair.  Izzy is addicted to the idea of romantic love, but hurts Alex badly.  Callie whines a lot too.  So, that's who I don't like. Oh and Kepner.  She annoys me.  

• Like 4

Really the only characters who I can say I hated were Izzy and Penny.

Now, there were times when I hated a character's story line or there were a few characters who just didn't click for me (I was never one for McDreamy....)

On 8/14/2016 at 7:43 PM, Chairperson Meow said:

I find that Derek is an ass who spends time trying to change Meredith rather than love her for what she is.  

There are episodes where Derek said stuff to Meredith that was so harsh it caused me to flinch for a second. Like some of the most hurtful, verbally abusive things. I am not interested in getting in a debate with any MerDer fans, but there were a few times I would have cheered Meredith on had she knocked him upside the head. 

• Like 8

On 7/21/2016 at 11:15 PM, Meow25 said:

Re-watched S1-S3 several times.  I am CONVINCED that Denny was what turned an edgy/witty medical drama into a mediocre prime time soap.  The killing of Denny made for some GREAT episodes, but the huge stretches they made by betraying reality killed the awesomeness of the show.  It became mediocre in the aftermath of Denny's death.  Izzie could have/should have lost her medical licence. Had they done that, they would have been able to keep the show together.  I HATE Denny, not because he sucks...but because he lead the writers to believe that they could get away with murder on this show.  The show lost its credibility.  

i just finished re-watching all the "BIG" storylines and that is what got on my nerves the most, and I hated that when it first aired. Especially when you heard the chief's opening remarks of several will choose an 'easier' programme, and some will quit and some will be asked to leave. 

i will state this (like someone pointed out) - I hate Denny so much, like the point i can't watch him in any other role. and I honestly do believe that he hurt the show. and everytime it got brought up - you just want to go, in classic Grey's. "Seriously?" ? like people make it like cutting l-vads and stealing organs is a laughable, snarkable thing (like in the domino surgery Bailey snarked on this). 

That's why in Erica Hahn's last scene i felt so bad for her because she was talking all of the reason and everyone is treating her like she fell off the turnip truck and how dare she call UNOS and everything. Everything she was saying is what Richard should have done. It doesn't matter if it was "love" (which, bull. it was to avoid Alex. and she got swept up in being romanticized. it wasn't ever love). In fact that is worse. because what happens if Izzie falls in love with someone else? Or feels all attached to a child? 

People fail things on this show (George his intern exam, April her boards) and it's never any serious repercussions or come to Jesus moment like "you know, i like it, but maybe it's not for me. or something. Denny did kill the show. 

On 9/3/2016 at 5:02 AM, apn85 said:

There are episodes where Derek said stuff to Meredith that was so harsh it caused me to flinch for a second. Like some of the most hurtful, verbally abusive things. I am not interested in getting in a debate with any MerDer fans, but there were a few times I would have cheered Meredith on had she knocked him upside the head. 

I have hated Derek since he called Meredith a whore. At that point McDreamy was McAssy and I was done with him. 

as menitoned:

Denny. Hate. 
Derek. Hate. 
Izzie AND Denny. Hate. 
Amelia. Hate.
Jo. Hate.
Arizona. Hate. 
Bailey. Irritating the snot out of me
April. Hate. (and i hate how Shonda writes her Christianity. As a Christian I'd give all of my cashmere yarn to have Hollywood stop writing Christians because it just grates on my nerves). 

the only reason why i watch is Alex and if he will ever get his happy ever after with someone normal, non cancer-y, non crazy, non whatever-y. and who will put him first. which answer is apparently not. 

• Like 6

The only reason I'm writing is because of Amelia.  Ugh.  Nothing endearing about her AT ALL.  As someone else wrote, not sure if it's the character or actress (delivering her lines all snarky--"goin' daaaawn",  "deaaad Derek")  Mean, hateful, victim mentality ("how could you do this to me?") does not even remotely line up with the neurosurgeon status....Whaaa?  And suddenly Owen 'loves' her--no buildup--nothing there.  Could write paragraphs about what else is hateful about her, but I'll just say--Ick. 

Arizona.  Liked her a lot initially.  But then she became deceitful, whiney, and selfish--all with the angelic look on her face and the teeny tiny pixie voice wondering WHY anyone would be upset.  Sick of her antics, and at this point with not being with Callie, doesn't add a thing to the show.  Boring and old.

Bailey.  What happened?  When did they decide that anything that comes out of her mouth should begin with "D-d-d-d"....all that stuttering and stammering drives me nuts.  Just TALK already!  Agreed that we loved her early on, but not sure about this Chief thing...

Derek.  Yep, it was hard to admit.  Somewhere between his attitude towards everyone about his awe-inspiring wonder, and his selfish BS with the DC job (coming back and acting like it was a 'gift'), I lost interest.  Meredith is by no means loveable, but she loved him well.

Stephanie.  Flip of the switch and she goes off on somebody (usually Jo) about some perceived 'wrong'.  Sick of her bad attitude.  She adds nothing. 

Leah.  Glad she's gone.  Didn't like her skulking around from the get-go, and the complete 180 with her stalking Arizona was just creepy. 

Curtain.  Yes, the curtain around the ER beds.  I don't like you, curtain, because when I shop for a sound-proof curtain, I can't find one.  But yet, here you are on the show, and when you are pulled, physicians are able to discuss the patient loudly without their hearing.  Where can I find one like you???

• Like 7

On 8. 9. 2016 at 3:45 PM, calluslouis said:

The only reason I'm writing is because of Amelia.  Ugh.  Nothing endearing about her AT ALL.  As someone else wrote, not sure if it's the character or actress (delivering her lines all snarky--"goin' daaaawn",  "deaaad Derek")  Mean, hateful, victim mentality ("how could you do this to me?") does not even remotely line up with the neurosurgeon status....Whaaa?  And suddenly Owen 'loves' her--no buildup--nothing there.  Could write paragraphs about what else is hateful about her, but I'll just say--Ick. 

I cannot warm up to the character or actress who performs her. I have tried, but I cannot.

All in all, I do agree with all the ones you mentioned.

I´d only add Owen on the hate list. Liar. Cheater.

Edited by Nobodysfan

On ‎07‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 11:51 AM, doram said:

I just watched a few episodes of season 4 and it brought back to a fore how much I wanted to reach out into the screen and wring Erica Hahn's horrid little neck. She was a toxic, unprofessional, biphobic, racist, self-aggrandising bully. I know there an outrage when she left the show unceremoniously at the cusp of her relationship with Callie but I was so relieved to never see her again that I couldn't have cared less. 

The sad thing is, she was absolutely right about Izzie and the LVAD/heart transplant debacle, but she was such a toxic person otherwise that it felt almost wrong to agree with her about it.  I did feel for her in the two-parter in which she first appeared, but after that, I wanted her off my screen.

• Like 2

On ‎09‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 5:02 AM, apn85 said:

The scene in the stairwell in season 2 where he basically calls her a whore for sleeping around, this coming from the man who didn't tell her he was married when they began their relationship, soured me on him permanently.

• Like 4

Owen is the one character I really, really hate. A lot of them bore me, a lot of them I wish would be written off, but Owen's the only one who makes me actively angry. I liked him fine when he was first introduced (honestly, I would've pretty much liked anyone for Cristina who wasn't Burke), but that went downhill fast. It went so far, I even got pissed off at *Cristina and Meredith*, because why in god's name didn't Cristina kick his undeserving and deeply disgusting arse to the curb, and why didn't Meredith have a carevention to make her see sense and finally cut him out of her life like the malignant tumor he was? Misogynist freak.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

The scene in the stairwell in season 2 where he basically calls her a whore for sleeping around, this coming from the man who didn't tell her he was married when they began their relationship, soured me on him permanently.

Unfortunately, even in the real world, we have people who deliberately say hurtful things in an argument. I don't think it makes them bad people.... they just fight dirty. And that was Derek. I found he often said pretty messed up things in the midsts of their fights. And I love that Meredith isn't that person. She'd pull away first before lashing out. Her instances of that (I think) only happened when she was pushed and pushed and pushed until she got there

• Like 1

- Perma-hate: Amelia - couldn't stand her on Private Practice, and she's even worse on Grey's. Maggie - she annoys the hell out of me in almost every scene she's in; has the emotional intelligence of a 12-year-old.

- Sometimes hate: Meredith, Bailey, and Richard, whenever they do egregious things on emotional investment. Still haven't forgiven Meredith and Richard for compromising the Alzheimer's trial (I know Meredith was the one who actually tampered with the trial, but Richard guilted her into it), and *hated* Meredith and Bailey being hostile to DeLuca after Alex beat him up, especially when Meredith cornered him and insinuated that his career would suffer if he didn't drop the charges, that scene just made my blood boil.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Like 1

Owen and Amelia - it would be amazing if theY could just get off my screen. The current storyline is just a lather rinse repeat of every time Cristina/Owen split up. It bugs me that you here get so much screen time while other characters get none.

• Like 2

Kepner- No matter what she does, her personally just grates. Kepner is what the Duggar girls would be if they could be anything but homemakers. It went from strong dislike to hate though when she pretty much abandoned her marriage for a year after the baby boy and then was incapable of understanding why things couldn't go back to normal with Jackson, why Jackson wasn't eager to just fall lock step back into happy marriage.

Maggie, but really all 3 of the half sisters, Lexie, Meredith and Maggie just grate for me. I don't know if it's recent or I'm just now paying attention, but Ellen P does this weird uptalk thing now when she's Grey, weird emphasis on random syllables, even when talking about sad things it's like she's talking about what she ate for lunch. I'm guessing it's like she's supposed to be dark and twisty because of all that's happened, and the most dark and twisty character I've ever seen is Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter, so I guess it makes sense (for those who don't know, Umbridge had a super sweet upbeat way of talking while saying the most cruel things).

• Like 1

On 11/10/2016 at 10:36 AM, proserpina65 said:

The sad thing is, she was absolutely right about Izzie and the LVAD/heart transplant debacle, but she was such a toxic person otherwise that it felt almost wrong to agree with her about it.  I did feel for her in the two-parter in which she first appeared, but after that, I wanted her off my screen.

I don't remember there being outrage about Erica leaving....well, I remember there being outrage about how she left (walked out to her car, never came back) because it was so obvious that the writers had lost control of the character.  But, really, it seemed like most people were just glad she was gone.

In a way it was too bad because Brooke Smith is a very good actress--she was just given a very bad role.

• Like 3

I can't believe I ever liked April or called myself a Japril fan. She is insufferable. I just finished the season eleven episode where she's a raging bitch to her mother. She is such an asshole and I haven't even got to the Episodes where she runs off to the army and then returns expecting Jackson to just be ok with everything. She is insufferable. So unlikeable and as sweet as Sarah Drew seems in real life I find her to overact so much.

My shipper heart clearly blinded me the first time because i hated Stephanie/Jackson but on rewatch he should have stayed with her. He'd be living a headache free life now if that were the case.

It baffles me that Shonda has put so much effort into making April likeable but can't be bothered to do the same for other characters ie Jo.

Edited by Chas411
  • Like 3

I like Jessica Capshaw but Arizona, outside of the character's rare comedic moments, is annoying.

I still want to push Amelia and April into the sea.

Jo is a waste of space.

Izzie & Derek were the worst. So glad they're gone.

Isaiah Washington is a good actor but Burke seriously bugged.

Kevin McKidd is a good actor but Owen and his neverending manpain can go at any time too.

Edited by Dee
  • Like 3

Yeah, I don't know how this show manages to do it, but strong actors like sarah Drew and Kevin McKidd end up stuck with annoying characters that really, really grate. Hunt started out as a great character and they torpedoed him into that constantly angry, pissed off guy, and while April quirks are sometimes funny, when they amp up her neurotic or ultra-stubborn personality, I just want to grab her by the hear and scream "shut up!!" in her face. And that is sad since I really, really like the actors.

Both Sheperds never did it for me. I guess I'm insensible to the "dreamy" side of McDreamy, I always found him super smug, and same with Amelia (and I find Scorsone's acting forced at times). 

• Like 3

I found McDreamy smug and awful at times but he had some likeable moments to counteract the bad. Amelia is just awful. Scorscone already overacts but throw in the dialogue they give her and she's just unwatchable. The only times I've ever found her relatable are when Meredith is abusing her neediness and i feel sorry for her. 

Post season ten Meredith is a raging bitch.

• Like 1

I liked April when her general cluelessness and selfishness in relationships seemed to be tied to her inexperience with men. Now with the passage of time, it's just an immovable part of her personality, and that's...unfortunate.

Edited by flickers
  • Like 1

I loved Denny. I have watched all the seasons about 3 times(yes, I need to get a life) and I just don't get all the Denny hate. I didn't start watching the actual show until about 2 years ago so maybe I might have felt differently about Denny if I were watching it week to week during that season?

• Like 2

Patrick Dempsey always seemed like he had one foot out the door the entire time he was on that show. I contrast that with George Clooney who was immensely popular but still put effort into his ER character even coming back for the finale, despite a thriving movie career. I loved Meredith in the beginning but now she has turned into the worst parts of Christina, cold, narcissistic and dour. I don't hate any of the other characters and I'm fond of Owen and April, flaws and all.

• Like 3

On 11/17/2016 at 11:08 PM, hoosiermom said:

I loved Denny. I have watched all the seasons about 3 times(yes, I need to get a life) and I just don't get all the Denny hate. I didn't start watching the actual show until about 2 years ago so maybe I might have felt differently about Denny if I were watching it week to week during that season?

I watched week to week during season 2 and I loved Denny too, and I don't get it either.

• Like 2

Denny is a tricky character for me because I also watched season two as it aired and was incredibly invested in everything that was happening on the show. I was so absorbed and since Izzie was (and is) my favourite character, it made for some really engaging television. I loved the flirtation between them and the devastation caused after LVAD-gate and through to the end of season two, but the follow-up was a bit botched. Even the fact that Izzie was still allowed to practice medicine was bittersweet for me because while she was my favourite character and someone I wanted on the show, it was still insane that anyone would trust her to be a doctor again, never mind that Bailey herself convinced Izzie to come back to Seattle Grace.

That's not even getting into the weird timeline issues, like Izzie falling for Denny so quickly, or that she seemingly got over Denny in a few months only to fall in love with...George, and we'll not even get into the ghost/hallucination/cancer storyline. 

The Izzie/Denny whirlwind romance absolutely works for me on screen. And, like...it's weird for me to even be complaining about most of that because I still loved Izzie and even enjoyed her post-Denny stuff, but when you think about some of those decisions and the timeline stuff it's just...weird. I don't know. 

Edited by manbearpig
  • Like 3

Denny was the series' first embodiment of sensation over substance -- principally problematic once the show was unable to support the aftermath of his storyline in Season Three. Also, the over-reliance on his memory and presence in the years ahead, particularly Izzie's much ballyhooed fifth season arc, just seemed to reveal how incapable the series would ever be of recapturing old magic. So, as a viewer, there was no other choice but to resent Denny's whole existence, for through him we knew the only connection to the series' initial quality (and tangentially, its "group of interns" premise) would be, literally, ghosts from the past. 

• Like 5

I only started watching a few years ago (actually, quite a few at this point, but anyway), and I didn't hate Denny, but I never really liked him that much either. I only just (like, a month or so ago) started even seeing why anyone would find the actor himself remotely attractive, so to me, his introduction as a charming stud you would want to flirt with you like that never worked, and he just came across as just another cocky guy being all icky and flirty in an inappropriate situation. The fact that it worked on Izzie and she did indeed fall for him was something I just couldn't wrap my head around. Add all that to the fact that I also had no use for Izzie, and he's just not a character I found remotely appealing.

And then, of course, it's all exacerbated by the ridiculous LVAD nonsense and aftermath, and then the dead Denny tumour, and... just no.

• Like 2

I suppose for any sense of realism, Izzy would have been fired and never seen again. She would have been the first person to leave the program, as Richard foreshadowed in the first episode that some participants would. TPTB did not seem to have much of an idea of how to proceed after that big dramatic season finale.

In regard to Denny's return, I actually liked the idea of his being a ghost.  As a big fan of Northern Exposure, in which they could get away with that sort of thing, I accepted the concept. But I'm sure it wouldn't have gone over well with the vast majority of Grey's audience.  When it turned out he was a hallucination, I wasn't interested anymore. 

Edited by Shellie
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Shellie said:

In regard to Denny's return, I actually liked the idea of his being a ghost.  As a big fan of Northern Exposure, in which they could get away with that sort of thing, I accepted the concept. But I'm sure it wouldn't have gone over well with the vast majority of Grey's audience.  When it turned out he was a hallucination, I wasn't interested anymore. 

Agreed. The attempt to ascribe a sense of logic to an inherently illogical storyline was counterintuitive; if you ask the audience to take a leap of faith, then put some faith in the audience. Denny could have simply been a figment of Izzie's grief (and, indeed, in S05E07, he was) and served as a romantic obstacle that she'd have to overcome in her reunion with Alex. His presence wouldn't be realistic, but it'd be symbolic and emotionally connectable. The choice to make his ongoing appearance the result of a brain tumor -- a too obvious choice given that this is a medical show -- completely undermined all the potential character drama, as the situational theatrics of the illness became the focus.

Also, in terms of Izzie's integrity, it was completely destructive for her to go from S05E07 to S05E13 before she questioned her health; she lost all credibility as a result of this absurd plotting. Health, for any character (let alone a doctor), should have been an immediate concern, regardless of whether or not the show followed through with giving her the gimmicky brain tumor. So because Izzie's actions lacked believability, the ascribed "logical" reason for the Denny storyline became irrelevant -- the whole thing had already become too ridiculous, and the explanation was therefore an insult to the audience. 

Edited by upperco
  • Like 8

I just kind of started watching this show casually as it's on when I go home for lunch.  And I absolutely 100% hate hate hate hate hate Christina.  I also don't like Owen Hunt.

Spoiler

First of all, they get married and she had told him that she never wants kids, but he marries her thinking she'll change her mind and gets mad when she says she won't.  Who does that?  And, then apparently Christina accidentally gets pregnant, and apparently for the second time, what kind of dr gets pregnant accidentally twice.  Tie your tubes or something, moron. Anyway, she then aborts it against Owen's wishes as if he has no say in the matter.

Man, I hate these two.

• Like 2

I hope that the intent of the writers is for me to hate Minnick, because they have failed otherwise. The character had some potential to be a catalyst for change (even though she came in way too headstrong, with her "I work alone. If you hire me, you have to get rid of Richard Webber" attitude), but the things they did to make her more human (crying over the loss of a pediatric patient, her attraction to Arizona) ruin that potential. And in last night's episode, she was complaining about how exhausting it is to deal with questions from the residents. Hello...you are teaching them! If you don't want to answer their questions, don't take a position in which you are responsible for helping them by answering their questions! Honestly, not even her ability to make homemade pierogies (mmmm, pierogies) can save her.

• Like 3

Honestly I'd say the writers think she's fantastic. The whole storyline screams perfect Penny of last season to me only I don't think Capshaw is going anywhere so we probably won't have the advantage of her leaving at the end of the season. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, funnygirl said:

Eliza Minnick is the worst thing since Penny Blake. 

I think Minnick is far worse than Penny.  Penny was the epitome of "meh" and she sort of sucked the energy out of any scene she was in.  But, she wasn't, at least from my point of view, a bad person.  Minnick is just plain unlikable and obnoxious.  And, you know what?, if the show would just acknowledge that and sort of relish it, she *might* become a "love to hate" character.  Instead, the show is trying their darndest to convince us that we should like Minnick and it just isn't working.  In fact, it is doing much more harm than good for her character.

And this can't be said enough...there is zero chemistry between Arizona and Minnick, making their pairing even more unbelievable.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, OtterMommy said:

I think Minnick is far worse than Penny.  Penny was the epitome of "meh" and she sort of sucked the energy out of any scene she was in.  But, she wasn't, at least from my point of view, a bad person.  Minnick is just plain unlikable and obnoxious.  And, you know what?, if the show would just acknowledge that and sort of relish it, she *might* become a "love to hate" character.  Instead, the show is trying their darndest to convince us that we should like Minnick and it just isn't working.  In fact, it is doing much more harm than good for her character.

And this can't be said enough...there is zero chemistry between Arizona and Minnick, making their pairing even more unbelievable.

Yes! It seems Arizona is really uncomfortable around Minnick. Like she freezes up and is almost afraid of what Minnick is going to say to her.

• Like 3

On 3/10/2017 at 2:25 PM, OtterMommy said:

I think Minnick is far worse than Penny.

Penny ranks above Minnick if for nothing else than her character led to the fantastic episode last season, "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?".  And it wasn't just the episode itself, but it was the closing moments of the prior episode when we saw Meredith opening her door for a guest arriving at the dinner party and they teased us with both Penny's and Meredith's reactions on seeing each other on the other side of the door.  Hands down, one of the best teases ever on the show and that dinner party episode was just so good. 

• Like 3