Artymouse

Characters We Hate

One thing I love about Grey's is how indelible some of the characters are. But of course some of them are indelibly irritating. So I thought it would be fun to talk about the GA denizens we hate the most, whether they're regulars, ex-regulars, recurring characters or one-off guest stars.

The guest character I hate the most is Ava/Rebecca. I guess I understood why Alex was drawn to her in the beginning; she brought out his protective side. But after she was healed, I never got their connection. Then when she came back in S4, I cringed every time she was onscreen. I didn't like the hysterical pregnancy, her sneaking into the OR gallery to watch Alex operate, or the catatonic state in which she ended the season. I'm a big Justin fan, and I think he has chemistry with most of the other actors on the show, but there was no spark at all, or none that I could see, between the two of them.

I'm also on the Amelia-dislike bandwagon and the very-crowded Penny-dislike train. And Dr. Boswell bugged because she was so blatantly trying to seduce Arizona, even though she knew Arizona was married.

And I'm on the fence about Ellis Grey. On the one hand, she was a really interesting character, and Kate Burton portrayed her beautifully. But good Lord, what a monster as a mom!

• Like 4

I'm also on the Amelia-dislike bandwagon and the very-crowded Penny-dislike train. And Dr. Boswell bugged because she was so blatantly trying to seduce Arizona, even though she knew Arizona was married.

And I'm on the fence about Ellis Grey. On the one hand, she was a really interesting character, and Kate Burton portrayed her beautifully. But good Lord, what a monster as a mom!

I am not an Amelia fan.  I think it's partly how Caterina Scorsone plays her and partly the focus on her.  I just don't care about her so I don't need to see her as much as we do.

Boswell bothered me for the reasons above and because she was so clearly a plot device and they didn't do anything but completely destroy Calzona with it.

Owen is a really problematic character for me.  It's definitely not Kevin McKidd.  I just don't know why I'm supposed to root for him.  He is very unlikeable a lot of the time.

Leah Murphy, I didn't mind her when she was comic relief, but then they hooked her up with Arizona and turned her into this nutter who was hung up on someone who had no interest in her.  It became so bad they had to write her off because not a lot of people liked her by the end.

• Like 3

I'm not the biggest Amelia fan either but I cannot pin point yet why that is. Because at times I actually do like the way she comes across, although those times are very rare.

I love Ellis, as screwed up as she is and despite her screwing up Meredith. Funny enough, I didn't remember Ava until you mentioned her, but I didn't care for her either and she actually reminded me of Dennie... who I did NOT like the first time around and HATED the second time. I quite liked how they revealed his presence to be a symptom of Izzie's melanoma, but prior to that, the whole "Izzie cheating on Alex with her dead husband" story dragged on and on so much, I got fed up of him being around. Especially considering I was kinda happy when he died, because as I said, I did NOT like that man.

Edited by timimouse

Regulars: Lexie (season 6+), Owen (season 6+), April, Jackson, Jo, Shane, Amelia

Guests: Sloan Riley, Catherine Avery, Morgan (the intern), the kids  

Leah Murphy, I didn't mind her when she was comic relief, but then they hooked her up with Arizona and turned her into this nutter who was hung up on someone who had no interest in her. It became so bad they had to write her off because not a lot of people liked her by the end.

I think part of the problem with Leah was that the new intern additional four were too much and they should have never been given such prominence let alone made regulars. After watching season nine only Jo should have become the regular as she at that point was the only one fully developed. The rest were just walking plot points and should have been kept recurring like in season four and five with Lexi and her class.

It's the over the top writing for Amelia that kills her for me. The speeches written for her are Scandal Olivia Pope style bullshit and awful to listen to. Add to that the actress has the smuggiest way of delivering all the lines.

Her and Hunt should be gone at this stage. Their random pairing just shows that the writers have little left to write about with them.

Edited by Chas411
  • Like 3

Hate is probably too strong a word, but I really don't like Cristina. I think she's the most overrated character in the history of the show.

Denny Duquette - I kind of hate him. He was okay at first, but once he came back as a ghost and spirit to guide Izzy to the light? No. And his speechifying to Meredith when she was near death was also annoying.

Amelia is one of the reasons I quit watching the show.

Callie has rarely been anything but annoying, whiny, and entitled.

• Like 5

Denny Duquette - I kind of hate him. He was okay at first, but once he came back as a ghost and spirit to guide Izzy to the light? No. And his speechifying to Meredith when she was near death was also annoying.

I disliked Denny from the very beginning.  I don't know if it was his drawling unkemptness or his skeevy, sexually charged flirting with Izzie, but he grossed me out right from the beginning.  The fact that theirs is held up as one of the great romances of the show boggles my mind.  They knew each other for maybe 2 months (and that is me being generous), had never been outside of the hospital together, really knew nothing about each other and yet Izzie mourned for him as thought they had been married for 35 years.  It never worked for me at all, but I had to fanwank that, like George, Denny was a "safe" reaction to Alex.  He was totally dependent on Izzie and couldn't cheat and blew smoke up her ass 24/7.  I always assumed that she was mourning for what could have been rather than what was, or that he was perfect because she didn't know him long enough for her fairy tale fantasy to show any cracks.  I honestly was wishing for him to live so they could get married and then have Izzie find out that he clubbed baby seals or was the President of the Seattle NAMBLA society.  It would have served her right.

His stint in season 5 nearly sent me over the edge and actually ruined the actor for me, which is sad because he seems nice and apparently does pretty good work. It also annoyed me that Denny always got credit for "not seeing Izzie as the pretty girl" which, really?  He literally talked about her boobs, the fact that she was a hot blonde and "getting into her pants" non-stop.  The one person that almost never mentioned her looks was Alex.  After their first kiss, he told her that he wanted her even if she lost the boobs and the looks, and the only times he complimented her looks was when he told her she looked "nice" at the prom and when she shaved her head in season 5 and he told her she was hot.  (Yes, I am kind of embarrassed that I remember all of those details, but god it irked me.)

Denny is the epitome of Shonda falling in love with a character to the detriment of her show, which continues to this day.

• Like 16

I think part of the problem with Leah was that the new intern additional four were too much and they should have never been given such prominence let alone made regulars. After watching season nine only Jo should have become the regular as she at that point was the only one fully developed. The rest were just walking plot points and should have been kept recurring like in season four and five with Lexi and her class.

This is the very reason I disliked Jo from the jump.  It was obvious she was being given favored nations status.  And it made me resentful on behalf of the other characters because I felt like I was being too obviously manipulated.  Why not give all the new characters some equal weight and let the viewers decide who to like and dislike?  Why weight the scale on behalf of one character while making the others seem faceless and disposable.  So yeah it had to opposite effect on me.  Made me dislike the character and that has not abated to this day.

Denny is the epitome of Shonda falling in love with a character to the detriment of her show, which continues to this day.

I never disliked Denny.  Honestly, JDM has the sort of rough-sexy look I like.  So I was fine with Denny.  It was Denny + Izzy together that I disliked intensely.  I did not feel their love was epic.  And yes, I 1000% agree that the storyline does represent the terrible habit of SR writing for her teacher's pet. 

Speaking of Izzie+Denny  hate I find that more than individual characters,  I tend to hate the romantic pairings.  There were a handful that really worked for me, Yang & Burke, Mer & Der, Callie & Arizona, even April and Jackson after a while.  But overall, the game of sexual musical chairs on this show creates some really anti-chemical pairs.  Like the black hole of good sexual chemistry.

Izzie & George are like the Queen and King of terrible romance on this show.  Almost repulsive, really. But Hunt & Amelia currently are just doing absolutely nothing for me.

The only characters I have actively hated were Hahn and Peter MacNicol's character. 

• Like 3

Somebody on TWoP once said about Denny that he just looked like he would have bad breath.  I haven't been able to get it out of my head since (and this was probably 5+ years ago) whenever I see the actor.

But it practically ruined Izzy for me that they acted like this was her great love story when she never saw him outside of the hospital.

• Like 3

Somebody on TWoP once said about Denny that he just looked like he would have bad breath.  I haven't been able to get it out of my head since (and this was probably 5+ years ago) whenever I see the actor.

Hah, I can totally see that!

Amelia is just unbearably smug. In the last episode in that scene with Meredith in the bathroom I just wanted to punch her in the face. And she's just not believable as a top-notch neurosurgeon. I don't know whether it's because of the actress or the admittedly horrendous text she's given most of the time, but she simply does not sell it for me. 

Maggie is really starting to get on my last nerve with her incessant babbling rants. It doesn't make her cute or charmingly ditzy, she just comes across as slightly crazy. 

I certainly don't hate Bailey, but she used to be my fave character and now I've actually come to prefer episodes she doesn't have a big part in. 

I grew tired of Cristina by the end of her time on the show. Yeah, she's perfect, amazing, best surgeon ever, she can raise people from the dead and walk on water. We get it. Other than that I felt her character had very little depth left and was no longer interested in her. Frankly, I don't miss her at all. 

• Like 2

For me, Denny had his charming moments, but almost none of them were with Izzie. And I agree that the greatest love story of all time vibe was hard to swallow, given how they met, how much time they spent together, etc. And while Sydney Heron wasn't my favorite character, I thought Izzie was horrible and self-righteous to her during the peer counseling episode.

And I was of two minds about Dr. Stark. In the beginning, I thought he was a nice, vinegary contrast to the regulars. He was one of the few who struck me as looking and acting like a real doctor. I could imagine him being an attending at any local hospital. I thought he was an ass much of the time, but I liked that he was so different. But when he wanted to amputate a girl's perfectly good leg just to save time, that's when he lost me. Although that did inspire one of my favorite Alex moments, when he body-blocked Stark in the OR while Arizona went to ask Webber for privileges.

• Like 3

Truer words have never been spoken.

Edited by funnygirl
  • Like 2

Artymouse, you started a cool thread:

My take:

1. Amelia,Owen -  EQUALLY.

2. Stephanie.

3. Catherine Avery.

4. Ben (in some scenes).

5. Izzie.

6. Teddy(in some scenes).

7.  Shane.

Yup. 

Edited by Nobodysfan

Hate is probably too strong a word, but I really don't like Cristina. I think she's the most overrated character in the history of the show.

I grew tired of Cristina by the end of her time on the show. Yeah, she's perfect, amazing, best surgeon ever, she can raise people from the dead and walk on water. We get it. Other than that I felt her character had very little depth left and was no longer interested in her. Frankly, I don't miss her at all.

So. much. I never understood why she was supposed to be so amazing. I didn't hate her; I just didn't care.

• Like 4

Grey’s characters I have hated –

Derek – I hated him in season 2 because of the way he treated Addison – but came to like him later.

Izzie – I liked her is season 1, but beginning with Denny, she just went downhill.

George – He was amusing at first – but his treatment of Callie and his self-righteousness left me disliking him in the end.

Owen – I first started disliking him with his reaction to Christina’s abortion and when he let Teddy get by with not teaching Christina – and have disliked him ever since.
Teddy – for her refusial to teach Christina after she saves Callie.
Arizona – never felt she was Callie’s equal in the relationship.
Dr. Stark
Erica Hahn
Dr. Alana Cahill

Leah
Bailey – Was one of my favorites – until around season 9 – and it seems they have destroyed her character.

April – I have hated her from the start – and ever thing she does and ever revelation about her has caused me to hate her more – of all characters she is the one I hate most.

• Like 3

How could I have forgotten Alana Cahill? I really disliked her character, which was disappointing because I like the actress and thought she was very good in "Entourage."

Another character whose scenes I often FF through is Sadie. That whole storyline seemed contrived to me. I didn't buy that she and Mer were old friends, and the character just seemed calculated to up the show's outrageousness factor. Not that I expect medical realism, or even logic, from this show, but I can't imagine that the basement appendectomy on Sadie would have ended as well as it did in real life, and I also think/hope that a real-world situation like that would result in the interns being fired or something more severe than getting banned from the OR for a few days.

Geez, for a show that I love, there are sure a lot of people I don't like. 

• Like 2

True indeed.

I also love the concept of the show being about medicine and doctors´ personal lives,but still so many characters are just simply insufferable 90% of time.

How could I have forgotten Alana Cahill? I really disliked her character, which was disappointing because I like the actress and thought she was very good in "Entourage."

I am torn with her, Cahill had a bad role in the hospital,but I love the actress so much.

Edited by Nobodysfan

Izzie, I loathed this character.  I didn't care for her from day one and it just got increasingly worse every season. Fucking tripping over themselves to take care of this poor wounded "surgeon" who became obsessed with a patient because the sap died, ugh. Love story my ass....

I almost started hating Bailey because of all her damn coddling of Izzie. Going over to Meredith's house to try to soft talk her into coming back to the program, please. Yet she crucified Cristina for hiding her Attending's secret. Shit, Burke had power over her, he was her supervisor, not the other way around. It was his damn secret to tell, and not allow his girlfriend/intern/student to cover up. In the end his punk ass looked like George, angry, pouting mouth, wounded by the evil, heartless Cristina, as if he did nothing wrong. Yeah, no wonder Bambi was his "guy".  I mean who's the teacher here? See I can make excuses too. What? Because he didn't die, Yang gets crucified.  Because her "crimes" weren't done on behalf of "true love" (I'm going to throw up) she gets shunned? But because everyone is caught up with Izzie's big fucking love story, she gets treated with warmth. She stole a heart for her "boyfriend" and was willing to allow someone else's father, husband, brother, son etc. to die all for her big selfish love. Whatever, Bailey was seriously on my shit list back then. But she's kinda OK now.

Then with Gizzie, I wanted Callie to whip her ass except no man is worth it and least of all 007. He wasn't even a man to me except in his last scene with the uniform on. Otherwise, he bitched and whined all the time like a five year old.

I hated Hahn too, which is too bad, because I liked her when she first showed up, but then she had to mess around for way too long with my favorite character Cristina.

The rest of the characters that I have had negative feeling towards were just frustratingly annoying or I was indifferent to but I can't say I completely hated. 

Edited by represent
  • Like 5

Grey’s characters I have hated –

Derek – I hated him in season 2 because of the way he treated Addison – but came to like him later.

April – I have hated her from the start – and ever thing she does and ever revelation about her has caused me to hate her more – of all characters she is the one I hate most.

True about Derek though. 

April - I hated her at first, but then I sort of got to tolerate her shenanigans. The same with Jo.

Edited by Nobodysfan

One thing I've always appreciated about Grey's is that they don't make any character ever 100% likeable. The show was extremely divisive when it started because Meredith wasn't a bright, shiny, good-girl like most female TV leads were supposed to be. And it rang true for everyone else, too. All of my favourite characters have had stretches or arcs where I disagreed with them and even disliked them - but, to me, that strengthens their characters. Sometime I really dislike my friends, too. And I know I'm far from perfect. Meredith, Alex, Callie, Bailey, Cristina (among my favourite characters) could all be selfish and rude, but I can't say I ever hated them.

It's characters like Amelia, who I find to have no redeeming qualities, that I hate. 

Amelia spent 99% of her screen time during her first year as a regular just screaming at other people. She was arrogant, mean, selfish, and worst of all, annoying. Now when April was introduced I didn't like her, and she stills annoys me from time to time. But I see where she's coming from, and she has a ton of redeeming qualities. Steph, Ben and Jo I simply don't care about, but Amelia I can't stand. The writer for her is awful and the actress isn't great (in my opinion) so she made some stretches of episodes for me really unbearable last year. 

I never liked Hahn or Teddy much at all (Teddy in particular), and Izzie really grated my nerves when she started bullying Callie and then sleeping with George. Still, I definitely felt sympathy for her, and even liked her, throughout season 5 and 6. Unpopular opinion, but I liked her with Alex. I really disliked Shane, because I thought the writing for his character was just horrible. I absolutely hated how he spoke to Meredith and his whole dynamic with Cristina. 

• Like 4

Izzie. She was always insufferable and her speeches! dear god make it stop!

Burke. I did not like the way he treated Cristina. Plus he was just so damn arrogant. And off putting.

Lexie. A dithering idiot.

April. Ugh!

What is Derek's sisters name? Amelia? Oh god! Izzy all over again and maybe even more annoying?

And Jo. They stuck that thing with my dear Alex. That was one of the things that made me stop watching on a regular basis.

• Like 2

One thing I've always appreciated about Grey's is that they don't make any character ever 100% likeable.

I agree, even my favorites have had their moments (or weeks,months, seasons) where they irked me on and off. 

Meredith started out as one of my favorites for the first 2 seasons but by the end of season 3 I couldn't stand her & my dislike of her has held up ever since. There's been episodes here and there where I've found her tolerable but never really liked her again.

I'm fine with not loving every character. I don't need characters to be warm and fuzzy to find their story interesting. I can enjoy the whole spectrum of characters on tv, from the good guy/gal to the very dark characters. My dislike tends to grow if its a combination of not caring for them and them having repetitive/boring/Mary Sue-ish storylines.

• Like 2

Great thread!

My list of hate, hate, hate is pretty short - Rebecca - she sucked from the start and just got worse - so clingy and weird and ruined Alex for awhile for me

Characters that are pretty 'meh' to me is a long list - Owen, Amelia, Jo, Stephanie, Teddy, Izzie, Lexie, Leah, Shane - I don't hate them, but I've never found them that awesome either - they just kind of exist in the Grey's universe, often being non-factors for me and everyone once in awhile turning in a great scene

April was a character I HATED at first and now really enjoy.  She still is annoying sometimes, but it's part of her charm.  I like that she's different from most of the others in her complete dorkishness.

• Like 1

I also disliked April intensely in the beginning. I though she was timid and weird, and then she had that crazy crush on Shepherd. But sometime in S8, she became interesting and a little less weird. I hated her scenes at the medical boards exams where she acted like a sweating lunatic, but before that, I somewhat enjoyed the flirtation with Stark, and the semi-friendship with Mer after April was present for Mer's miscarriage during the Gary Clark reign of terror.

Speaking of the hospital shooting, another character I couldn't stand was Reed. How bad does it make me that I was happy when Reed got shot and died? Most Grey's characters. no matter how much I dislike them, I can find a moment that I like them or some quality that I find less heinous than usual. Not with Reed; I felt like it was torture every time she was on my TV screen. Not sure how much is the character and how much is the actress, because I found her somewhat likable on "Mad Men," although her Southern accent was atrocious.

• Like 2

I hated denny and Arizona is not one of my favorites. I think that Arizona is a very selfish person. She cheated on Callie for what? She kinda forced Callie to buy with her that surburban large house  that Callie really didn't want. She refused to let Callie go to Africa and left her standing at the airport for some imagined slight. The thing that really ramped my Arizona hate was when all the rest of the attendings wanted get a decent job in a good teaching hospital, she only got Alex interviews in small town New Mexico or North Dakota The reason she gave was that she wanted to keep him on her service. Luckily, Alex got Hopkins on his own.

• Like 2

Jo - just whiny and petty for no reason. You lived in a car and got the short end of the stick as a kid. We get it but that's no reason to be unlikable as an adult.

April - the ONLY time I liked you was when you were GI April last season. Otherwise, I need you to end up in the same hole with Izzie and please take Jo with you. Or better yet, go stay with Mc Dreamy as he will never return. Ever!

I liked Amelia when she was on Private Practice. However, I don't think the GA writers know what to do with her. I think that has to be one of the reasons that folks seem to dislike her on GA.

Izzie- no reason needed. Just goodbye and never comeback.

• Like 2

I'm surprised how many people here don't like Denny. I was kind of in love with Denny, and he has the sort of looks I go for (like DearEvette said).  I also could understand the "great love" aspect, even if it was just a fantasy.  I could see Izzy falling for the flirtatiousness and charm -- like having a crush on him.  His situation being so dire would elevate things to some high romantic level.  Honestly, it reminded me of something I could have compellingly gotten drawn into in my early 20s, especially if I thought I could be part of "saving" him.

I could see him falling hard for her for many reasons, but especially because what else would he have?  Could he even think of getting involved with someone out in the real world, considering his situation?  She was not only this beautiful smart girl, but part of the team that could save his life.

When he died and she got into bed with him and "Chasing Cars" played, I bawled like crazy.

Back on topic.  I feel like BaseOps in that I don't mind if the characters aren't always likable.  I can't remember ever outright disliking any main or recurring character on this show, although sometimes I hate their storylines.  Until now anyway, because I cannot stand Penny and I also cannot stand the story of her being involved with Callie, and Callie not knowing about Dillard, and Penny being all oblivious, "oh, I had no idea you would even have known Dr. Shepherd," and Penny coming to work at Grey's, which is ludicrous IMO. 

I liked Amelia when she was on Private Practice. However, I don't think the GA writers know what to do with her. I think that has to be one of the reasons that folks seem to dislike her on GA.

I agree with this.  Amelia doesn't seem to have any depth anymore, she's become a one-note character, and sometimes that one note gets pretty shrill. 

• Like 2

My list is pretty long - why do I watch this show again?? - but I'll stick with the top three: Cristina, Shane and Owen. None of them ever have appeared on the screen without my wanting to slap them onto the next continent. I was thrilled beyond thrilled when Cristina left, and took Shane with her.

I intensely disliked Bailey at first - and still dislike some of her bullying tactics - she's grown on me.

Oh, oh, oh - Adele. I mute the sound when I'm watching reruns. The way she whined "Richaaaard ... ?" was like nails on a chalkboard. Worse. I'm an evil person for saying this, but I was not unhappy when she died.

Yep. Maybe that's why we watch it. 

• Like 1

Great thread....and after seeing last week's episode, I really need this!

Most hated characters : April (Please, Grey's, let Jackson divorce her! Free Jackson!)

Jo (A whiner who's mean and kind of pointless. Free Alex!)

Which brings me to a question: Why do hot men on this show often get stuck with such annoying women?

Back on topic: Arizona (Again, basically whiny. I was happy when Callie was freed.)

Not hated, yet, but kind of "Meh", in a "Yes, he has an accent but really, he's still not hot", way: Nathan Riggs.

(And yes, I caught the elevator stanvils in last week's ep : He and Meredith will probably get together. A shame,

but, yeah, probably.)

Amelia, I vary between hating and tolerating her. Same for Meredith. (I know, heresy! lol)

Again, thanks for this.

• Like 1

It's funny; Cristina is one of my favorites, but I can definitely see why a lot of people don't like her. She deepened and developed more empathy over the seasons, but she could be very insensitive. But in the S10 feud with Meredith, Cristina was far more likable than Mer.

It just hit me that for me, Meredith didn't become regularly awful (in comparison to earlier seasons of occasionally awful with intermittent flashes of annoying) until baby Bailey came along and she had that push/pull of work and family life. But for a lead character that I've generally liked, she's gone farther to then dark (and twisty) side than I ever would've thought.

Other GA people I don't like: Leah Murphy and the hospital board guy, Larry Jennings I think was his name. He was pretty consistently an ass.

I think I have already mentioned it here but with the latest sneak peek out let me say once again: I hate Amelia.

I am sick of her. Why on earth did she join Greys???!!!

Edited by Nobodysfan
  • Like 2

Adore me some Kevin McKidd, but wasn't impressed with how Owen was introduced.

Then grew to loathe him, after he damn near choke Christina to death.

For starters.

Bailey is unrecognizable to me these days.

April should've died during the shooting rampage.

• Like 2

I found Izzie pretty much insufferable from Day One, and she didn't get any better. I could never for the life of me understand why any of them, let alone pretty much all of them, would fall all over themselves to get her back into the hospital after the Denny incident.

Also not a big Adele fan. I sympathized with her up to a point — having a spouse who always prioritizes work is absolutely a legit complaint. And while I'm no big fan of ultimatums, I even thought her "retire or I'm leaving" was not entirely unreasonable. What was unreasonable was her apparent expectation that he would basically walk away from the hospital that day and that would be that. He's the Chief of Surgery. There has to be some succession planning. If she'd said "If you're not fully retired in six months, I'm out," I'd be down with that. But what really put me over the edge was that the last straw for her, the thing that made her really decide it was over, was Richard's failure to basically force treatment on their niece. I honestly don't know what sh expected of him there, but her reaction to Camille's continued refusal of treatment, like she thought Richard had talked her out of it out of spite or something? I was pretty much done with Adele at that point.

And Hahn. I get being annoyed that you think a particular intern has been coasting because she was involved with an attending, but (a) she didn't really treat Meredith with the same disdain, and (b) it's just as bad to completely dismiss someone because of a relationship as it would be to give them special treatment because of a relationship. If she came in expecting Cristina to prove herself, that would be fine. But she wasn't even willing to give her the chance to prove herself until basically forced to, and that's not fine. Can't say I disagreed with her freakout and leaving the hospital when she found out the whole story about the Denny incident, though. I think I liked her best in that moment.

• Like 1

I just finished my rewatch of the series from the pilot through S11 and I must say Jo has gone from someone I have found annoying to someone I actively dislike.

At first I rolled my eyes because I felt she was obviously Izzie 2.0. That young, ingenue that Shonda likes to present us with and shower storyline and romance on (hello April). But then in the aftermath of the episode with Chest Peckwell I grew to despise her. Not only because she is written so damned self righteous in her love for Alex, but really we are supposed to hand wave away what is apparently her propensity to violence just because she got assaulted once. Also are we supposed tobe impressed that she put three other guys in the hospital too? And breaking bones givs her a rush of pleasure and power? Ugh.

Also I was watching to see just how much evidence we are given to Meredith disliking her. And really there is none. Meredith has never shown active dislike toward Jo. She dismisses her or barely acknowledges her, but that is on the personal level. On the professional level she treats Jo the same as she does Steph. Meredith has shown more active hatred toward Penny in one epsiode that she's shown Jo in three seasons.

So yeah between the shit stunt she pulled on Steph and being basically a whiner I have decided I just can't with Jo. Maybe the writers can turn her around

On the bright side she is still behind Amelia and Owen on my personal 'If Shonda needs to trim the cast then these are the people who should go first' list.

• Like 3

I just finished my rewatch of the series from the pilot through S11 and I must say Jo has gone from someone I have found annoying to someone I actively dislike.

At first I rolled my eyes because I felt she was obviously Izzie 2.0. That young, ingenue that Shonda likes to present us with and shower storyline and romance on (hello April). But then in the aftermath of the episode with Chest Peckwell I grew to despise her. Not only because she is written so damned self righteous in her love for Alex, but really we are supposed to hand wave away what is apparently her propensity to violence just because she got assaulted once. Also are we supposed tobe impressed that she put three other guys in the hospital too? And breaking bones givs her a rush of pleasure and power? Ugh.

Also I was watching to see just how much evidence we are given to Meredith disliking her. And really there is none. Meredith has never shown active dislike toward Jo. She dismisses her or barely acknowledges her, but that is on the personal level. On the professional level she treats Jo the same as she does Steph. Meredith has shown more active hatred toward Penny in one epsiode that she's shown Jo in three seasons.

So yeah between the shit stunt she pulled on Steph and being basically a whiner I have decided I just can't with Jo. Maybe the writers can turn her around

On the bright side she is still behind Amelia and Owen on my personal 'If Shonda needs to trim the cast then these are the people who should go first' list.

I've been thinking of doing a re-watch lately and you may have just inspired me to follow through. I have been avoiding it because Grey's in the early days used to really cut me deep and i dunno if i can handle that now but it was so GOOD. I'm gonna go start that now! :)

• Like 1

Yeah,  there are times when the show declined in quality in places but the experience of watching one after the other becomes really immersive after awhile.  I was kinda sad when i caught up because I had to disengage from that world and S10 & early S11 had gotten strong again.  It also allows you to see narrative patterns very clearly. 

And... on topic... It also made me change my mind on characters I originally hated -- George for instance.  I didn't hate him so much on re-watch.  Also I remember not being a big fan of Alex over the years.  But I found on re-watch I appreciate Alex way more especially his character trajectory.  He is one of the few characters that seemed the most consistent over the years.

In other places it re-affirmed how much I disliked Izzie after season one and was glad when she finally left and really wish she had left earlier than she did.

• Like 2

One thing I love about Grey's is how indelible some of the characters are. But of course some of them are indelibly irritating. So I thought it would be fun to talk about the GA denizens we hate the most, whether they're regulars, ex-regulars, recurring characters or one-off guest stars.

The guest character I hate the most is Ava/Rebecca. I guess I understood why Alex was drawn to her in the beginning; she brought out his protective side. But after she was healed, I never got their connection. Then when she came back in S4, I cringed every time she was onscreen. I didn't like the hysterical pregnancy, her sneaking into the OR gallery to watch Alex operate, or the catatonic state in which she ended the season. I'm a big Justin fan, and I think he has chemistry with most of the other actors on the show, but there was no spark at all, or none that I could see, between the two of them.

I HATE fucking Addison Shepherd 

• Like 3

I cannot believe this shitshow is still on the air.  If I channel surf and come upon it I loudly hum so I don't have to hear any of their dialogue.  How In the hell is this show still on?????  Apologies to all posters who like this show.  I hate it so much I had to document my hate of it for myself hence this post.

• Like 1

That's cool.  To answer your question, I assume you meant it as an actual question, it is still on the air because it is one of the top-rated shows on network tv, lots of people still watch it, and it makes tons of money for the network and production company.  Not terribly complicated.  But it's all good if you hate it and don't watch it, not everyone watches the same shows.

Edited by pennben
  • Like 7

I cannot believe this shitshow is still on the air.  If I channel surf and come upon it I loudly hum so I don't have to hear any of their dialogue.  How In the hell is this show still on?????  Apologies to all posters who like this show.  I hate it so much I had to document my hate of it for myself hence this post.

Why do you hate it?I mean because of some storylines or some characters  get on your nerves or in general you do not like medical drama series?

Edited by Meredithfan

Ok, i might be late but i just have to write it!!! 
1. I hated Erica Hanh, i think she was the worst and every time she spoke i just wanted to punch her in the face and knocked out those ugly teeth.
2. Leah Murphy, i dont care about her or her story line, i mean... If she ever had one! She was so stupid with the whole sexual harassment thing.
3. Stephanie, i mean.. Come one! Tell me one interesting thing about her? Nope! Nada! Next!
4. Jo, she's boring and doesn't contribute to anything. Oh! And she's just a poor excuse for an actress.
5.Amelia, she just annoying and wtf was that about being mad at Meredith for not contacting her when Dereck died? I mean.. Whaaaat? Get over yourselfe bitch, its not about you.
6. April Kepner, i hated her when she was first introduced because she was so stupid and annoying and naive! But then i was beginning to like her a little until she left Jackson.
7. Jackson's Mom, i just can't deal with a bitch who thinks she's better than anyone else and wants that everyone do everything the way she wants. 
8. Meredith, she's just so selfish and always have to be tge fucking victim. 
I know i hate a lot of people on the cast haha but i still like the show. 
(Sorry if my english its bad, its not my first language.) 

On November 28, 2015 at 11:25 PM, DearEvette said:

Yeah,  there are times when the show declined in quality in places but the experience of watching one after the other becomes really immersive after awhile.  I was kinda sad when i caught up because I had to disengage from that world and S10 & early S11 had gotten strong again.  It also allows you to see narrative patterns very clearly. 

And... on topic... It also made me change my mind on characters I originally hated -- George for instance.  I didn't hate him so much on re-watch.  Also I remember not being a big fan of Alex over the years.  But I found on re-watch I appreciate Alex way more especially his character trajectory.  He is one of the few characters that seemed the most consistent over the years.

In other places it re-affirmed how much I disliked Izzie after season one and was glad when she finally left and really wish she had left earlier than she did.

On February 1, 2016 at 2:50 PM, NathanRiggsfan said:

Why do you hate it?I mean because of some storylines or some characters  get on your nerves or in general you do not like medical drama series?

• Like 1

Penny Blake, the most boring and bland character to ever appear on Grey's Anatomy. The fact that she was given so much attention is part of what was problematic about season 12. I guess that's one positive thing about Sara Ramirez deciding to leave, they used Penny as Callie's way out (unfortunate for Callie, though), eliminating the chances of her being added as a series regular.   

• Like 2

Because it can't be said often enough: I disliked Denny from his opening scene.  A show-eating, Izzie-destroying, energy-sucking, in the running for the award for the worst-character-ever.

• Like 8

I'm doing my first ever re-watch and I do not know if to hate Denny or Erica more. OMG. I really really REALLY despise Denny but Erica annoyed me so much that I forced myself to forget her existence.

Also, I realise that I forgot how much they made me hate Burke. I didn't initially but towards the end, he was just too damn arrogant.

However, I think I'd rather Burke still than Owen. I've had a few characters grow on me (eg. Arizona) but NOT Owen. He is the epitome of self-righteousness and I CANNOT STAND HIM!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, timimouse said:

I'm doing my first ever re-watch and I do not know if to hate Denny or Erica more. OMG. I really really REALLY despise Denny but Erica annoyed me so much that I forced myself to forget her existence.

Also, I realise that I forgot how much they made me hate Burke. I didn't initially but towards the end, he was just too damn arrogant.

However, I think I'd rather Burke still than Owen. I've had a few characters grow on me (eg. Arizona) but NOT Owen. He is the epitome of self-righteousness and I CANNOT STAND HIM!

Rewatching the episode or first time viewing of earlier episodes gives a different perspective of the characters. I really enjoyed seasons 1 and 2, love the first year interns, their connections, the story lines, and acting all good. 12 years is a long span to see character development but I can't stand season 12 Mer. Her character has changed a lot. What happened? Did Greys change the writing staff? 

Add me to the list that never liked Denny. I was totally rooting for Izzie and Alex during that time period and when she lost her mind over Denny it was more than I could take. I completely cracked up at this comment - 

On 11/12/2015 at 8:54 AM, Deanie87 said:

They knew each other for maybe 2 months (and that is me being generous), had never been outside of the hospital together, really knew nothing about each other and yet Izzie mourned for him as thought they had been married for 35 years.

So much YES to this. It was annoying. I couldn't take it. The end. 

Catherine Avery: This is a tricky one for me. There have been times where I have sincerely liked her. In Season 11 when Jackson and April found out their baby had OI Type 2 and were obviously devastated I thought she did a really good job of helping Jackson with April when she was so distraught. I thought it was a really tender moment where she stepped up and was an actual MOM to Jackson. On the other hand, I cannot stand how she acts toward Jackson and his life when he has asked her time and time again to not do/say/meddle/etc. I feel like geez, the poor guy already doesn't have a Father and the only parent he does have just creates more problems for him. Case in point: The whole crap about Jackson getting full custody of the baby this past season. If she had just kept her mouth shut and done as Jackson asked and left April alone then NONE of what happened would have happened. 

Izzie: Now I have to say that in the beginning Izzie was BY FAR my favorite character. I loved her from episode 1. She was the intern that I felt was most interesting, I loved the compassion she had for her patients, etc. I still loved her through the Denny shit. I even loved her through the George fiasco. However, by the end when she had the cancer and was having sex with ghost Denny and up and left Alex.....I was done. Bye Felicia. Do not return ever. Which, fortunately, I think Shonda is gonna back me up on that! ;-)

On the contrary, exact opposite from Izzie when it comes to April. When she first came on the show I was like, "Who is this train wreck?" Literally. I thought my dear Lord we have hit rock bottom with this one. She just annoyed me. I felt that way for a while, and then the girl started growing on me. And she grew and grew and regardless of what she did, I had to admit that I genuinely liked her. Now she is absolutely my favorite character. I know....I know....I saw her name mentioned here quite a few times but I cannot help it. Yes, she is still quirky, flawed, stubborn to a fault, and she has made some messed up decisions but at the end of the day she's still April and I love her. When I first was introduced to her character, I would have laughed someone out of the room if they told me I would feel the way I do about her now. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, doram said:

I also like her friendship with April but I really don't want to see it turn romantic. 

Oh gosh no!!! That would be a disaster. I prefer seeing AZ starting a relationship with someone new to Grey's. Similar to how the show was written with Callie early on. Like I have said before, I'm new to GA since season 10 and I watched the Calzona SL on YouTube. I was completely hooked by JCaps charm and how the relationship developed. I wanted to know more about the show And the characters so I started watching S1/S2 on Netflix. I was hooked on the close relationship between interns, Mer/Christina friendship and the witty story lines. The later seasons (10 on) just don't measure up to the earlier seasons and I wonder how much longer will GA continue. 

• Like 1