Jump to content
Rhondinella

Say Yes To The Dress

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, SabineElisabeth said:

Bride's mother:  "I have a little fantasy about Randy.  Putting Randy in one of my larger purses.  A beautiful, over-the-shoulder bag, that I carry kind of like this.  ((Demonstrates how she would be holding the bag))  He would peek out of the top with his hydrated skin and his lovely eyewear...  And we would go places, like, I don't know, grab a coffee, go to lunch....." 

Yep. It should have been offensive but there's just something about her appreciation for life--in a way that wasn't the usual sob story--that really worked for me.  That whole family was a blast.

I enjoyed the other bride too. I wasn't sure if I was going to because she did look a little Real Housewife of Sioux Falls to me but ultimately, over the course of the hour, I kind of felt she was genuine and appreciative of the fact that she found someone she'd actually want to marry again.

Of course, the third bride ruined it.  There was absolutely nothing joyful about her appearance on the show.  She seemed so set on the one dress, she put it on and was like "okay."  She was almost resigned.  I forget what one of her entourage said but I think it was something like it's the best she's going to do. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't need tears or shaking or some kind overreaction.  In fact, I loved the bride in the first Seattle episode, that was bundled in my DVR recording of this episode, who found a dress she liked but wanted no bling (I hear her--I think bling looks cheap even when it's not.)  She didn't cry or jump and scream when she found out she could get the dress without the bling.  She was happy but also practical/pragmatic and I felt she felt satisfied with her choice and her feelings about that choice.  But the Texas bride seemed like she was settling and not really thrilled about not finding THE dress.

Then at the wedding, her smile seemed forced.  And the pale lipstick made her look like she had hypothermia.  It was just weird and kind of a bummer ending.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

The woman on the Seattle show who didn't want anything sparkly was so ... mature about everything. It was a relief watching her. She was set on a poufy skirt but when the consultant removed it and showed the figure-hugging dress underneath, wow! So much better.

I've often thought that bridal salons should take pictures of the top 3-4 choices, do a quick photo edit, and print them out so the bride has a side-by-side comparison. They used to do that for viewers on Something Borrowed, Something New and it was a great visual of how the bride actually looked in each of the dresses.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Those "bonus episodes" they called Northern Edition were from Say Yes to the Dress Canada.  Not Seattle.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I wanted to hate the blond with the huge entourage and ring to match . . . but didn't.  Agree that she seemed mature and happy.  Didn't like any of the dresses she tried on, but it's her dress and if she's happy . . .

I do wonder if the consultants are given additional financial incentives to get brides to choose a designer whose dresses can only be purchased at Kleinfeld (e.g., Randy, Pnina).  Alternatively, do they pull more of those dresses to show brides and/or do they select brides for the show who have self-identified themselves as wanting one of those designers or the types of dresses they make (based on pre-interviews, budgets, etc.)?  We see SO MUCH of Pnina and now Randy that it's not coincidence.  And I assume Kleinfeld makes more money on their "own" designers than on others. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I don't remember if it was this week's or last week's episode.  Dianne was the consultant and she had an extreme tan (looks hideous with her yellow hair).  Her bride's budget was unlimited and wow, did Dianne work her game.  Over-big smile and nodding, and getting the entourage all worked up.  SELL SELL SELL  The more money she can get on commission, the more her game is ON.  Yeah, Dianne is not my favorite.  The bride tried on 3 styles, I didn't like any of them.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I adored Jamelha's attitude on the Canadian version (she was the first bride shown) . I'm paraphrasing here but it went something like,

" I'm going to wear this dress to my wedding, birthday party, your kids' parties, Christmas, my kid's party .... if we get divorced I'll wear it to court." 
 

I found my soul sister!

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, 2727 said:

The woman on the Seattle show who didn't want anything sparkly was so ... mature about everything. It was a relief watching her. She was set on a poufy skirt but when the consultant removed it and showed the figure-hugging dress underneath, wow! So much better.

I've often thought that bridal salons should take pictures of the top 3-4 choices, do a quick photo edit, and print them out so the bride has a side-by-side comparison. They used to do that for viewers on Something Borrowed, Something New and it was a great visual of how the bride actually looked in each of the dresses.

 

21 hours ago, kirklandia said:

Those "bonus episodes" they called Northern Edition were from Say Yes to the Dress Canada.  Not Seattle.

Thanks for the explanation! I saw it just said Northern Edition and I was thinking Northern U.S. But I did love how un-fussy she was, such a refreshing change from "I want all the bling!" brides who are just there to be on T.V.

 

  I adored Jamelha's attitude on the Canadian version (she was the first bride shown) . I'm paraphrasing here but it went something like,

" I'm going to wear this dress to my wedding, birthday party, your kids' parties, Christmas, my kid's party .... if we get divorced I'll wear it to court." 
 

I found my soul sister!

 

AMEN!! I laughed so loud at that!

Edited by nekilarose · Reason: forgot a comment
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, the Northern Edition was quite refreshing!  Brides (and entourages) who weren't made-up, dressed, and coiffed within an inch of their lives.  No one who looked like she had single-handedly put some plastic surgeon's kids through college.  Dresses at reasonable prices.

I see that there is a British version of Say Yes.  Maybe it will be the wedding dress equivalent of the Great British Bake Off.  It's available On Demand. Fingers crossed!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I watched some episodes from the UK version. They had a gay male "head of style" or whatever they're all called. So odd that the producers enforce that. 

Anyway, there's a lot less drama and bridal/entourage shenanigans. Without that, there was room  for 4-5 brides per episode.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, 2727 said:

I watched some episodes from the UK version. They had a gay male "head of style" or whatever they're all called. So odd that the producers enforce that. 

I'd say he's legit. He designed Princess Diana's wedding dress, so he has some cred in the industry. But I don't know if he's affiliated with the store in any other way than the show.

Edited by rur
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I watched the first episode of the U.K. version that was OnDemand.  It turned out to be a themed episode, so I am hoping it was not typical.  Professional royalty impersonators. As bad as the fame whores on the Original.  Ugh.

Edited by kirklandia

Share this post


Link to post

Bleach blonde bride and her equally bleach blond friends were a little over the top.  First getting married in the cathedral as a second marriage (unless she had the first one annulled or was widowed) and wearing really revealing dresses is a no no.  Also thought she was a little old for that dress.  But I did like her ring.

Share this post


Link to post

The tons of fun shown in the Northern version of Say Yes to the Bride weren't overly impressive.

Share this post


Link to post

I thought the first woman (basketball WAG) was going to be a nightmare but I appreciated that she trusted the consultant and tried on the dress that she didn't think she'd like. Hated the bodysuit under the dress, just like adding sleeves to an existing strapless dress, I don't think it ever doesn't look like an add on. I never understand people who boast about how spoiled they are, its not a good thing.

The 2nd bride was really walking a fine line between sexy and trashy, so glad she went with the dress she did which was venue appropriate and not too revealing. Is it just me or were the dark red/maroon bridesmaids dresses more appropriate for a non tropical climate wedding? The wedding looked super fun, I love it when you can feel the love between the couple and everyone looks like they're having a good time.

I love Debbie as a consultant but surely the first dresses you show the bride should be within the budget even if there is potential wiggle room. The eventual dress was 4400 when her budget was 3k, almost 50% more than what she said her budget was is a lot.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

It’s likely that it was arranged ahead of time for the “sick” mom to disclose her current state but no. Why was it necessary to do that except for the sake of adding more drama to the storyline?  Let it be the bride’s day - her mother’s mysterious illness should have played no part in that visit. My narcissistic mother told me five minutes before my wedding ceremony that she had had a bad mammogram reading the day before so I’m a little prickly in this department as she made herself the focus of my day when it could have waited until at least the day after. And it turned out that there was no concern in the end. 😤 Rant over 

  • Like 3
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, maggiegil said:

I thought the first woman (basketball WAG) was going to be a nightmare but I appreciated that she trusted the consultant and tried on the dress that she didn't think she'd like. Hated the bodysuit under the dress, just like adding sleeves to an existing strapless dress, I don't think it ever doesn't look like an add on. I never understand people who boast about how spoiled they are, its not a good thing.

The 2nd bride was really walking a fine line between sexy and trashy, so glad she went with the dress she did which was venue appropriate and not too revealing. Is it just me or were the dark red/maroon bridesmaids dresses more appropriate for a non tropical climate wedding? The wedding looked super fun, I love it when you can feel the love between the couple and everyone looks like they're having a good time.

I love Debbie as a consultant but surely the first dresses you show the bride should be within the budget even if there is potential wiggle room. The eventual dress was 4400 when her budget was 3k, almost 50% more than what she said her budget was is a lot.

I say trashy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:44 PM, cameron said:

The tons of fun shown in the Northern version of Say Yes to the Bride weren't overly impressive.

As much as I loathe "let's jack her up" from the Atlanta SYTTD, I equally loathe the "pump it" from the northern one.  Thank you to Randy and his co-workers that they don't do this.    The northern edition falls flat for me.  I think it's because I've just watched the super extravagant store of Kleinfelds in NYC, so other stores pale in comparison for me.  The consultants in NYC seem to be better versed in all things bridal.  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

The guy who is the Northern version of Randy seems really weird to me...like he’s a bad actor brought in to play the part of “gay wedding dress consultant”.  Not as bad as Monty, who I cannot stand, but just weird.  Also, the dresses in the Canadian erosion are so much less expensive, they even had a really pretty one for under $1000...

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder if they’re quoting US or Canadian currency. The prices of the dresses are more reasonable, either way. A lot of the gowns are by Mori Lee, whose gowns I’ve seen in bridal magazines for many years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

The guy who is the Northern version of Randy seems really weird to me...like he’s a bad actor brought in to play the part of “gay wedding dress consultant”

Yes! He reminded me of Criswell from "Plan 9 From Outer Space" (played by Jeffrey Jones in the movie "Ed Wood.")

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, ChitChat said:

The northern edition falls flat for me.  I think it's because I've just watched the super extravagant store of Kleinfelds in NYC, so other stores pale in comparison for me.  The consultants in NYC seem to be better versed in all things bridal.  

I think the problem with the "Northern Edition" for me is that I feel like that's just what normal bridal dress shopping would be. (Also, the store seems REALLY odd--almost like a pop up. It just feels temporary.) It's almost like watching brides trying on dresses at David's Bridal. The dresses are fine, but it's just not as interesting to see someone trying on more "normal" dresses.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I watched a rerun Saturday evening, and bride Emanuela wanting to spend $16K of daddy's money on a horrific Pnina.  Daddy said she looked like a turkey, which she did, albeit a full busted turkey.  She was full on breasts with glimpses of aereolas peeking out.  What are these brides going to do if fiancé/husband can't provide $$$ for her in everyday life??

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/9/2019 at 10:19 PM, maggiegil said:

I thought the first woman (basketball WAG) was going to be a nightmare but I appreciated that she trusted the consultant and tried on the dress that she didn't think she'd like. . . . I never understand people who boast about how spoiled they are, its not a good thing.

I was not impressed by her at all, and if her fiancé was playing  pro ball in the US but is now trying to get back into the NBA, I'll take the under on the length of his professional career. I don't want to see any marriage fail, but I'm afraid there's going to come a time when his salary will not support what she considers her WAG lifestyle.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Basketball "WAG" ... I loved her dress, and thought that the blush version was gorgeous. I'm glad that they were able to help her see what it would look like in white. The sleeves, the sparkles, everything about it was so pretty and in line with what she said she wanted, except for the skirt/silhouette.

Blond bride who had recently lost some weight ... the mom said she didn't want to see too much cleavage, but each dress showed tons of it! I don't know whether to blame the consultant or the bride. I did like her though and the wedding seemed wonderful, with everyone looking incredible and very happy.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/13/2019 at 1:19 PM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Blond bride who had recently lost some weight ... the mom said she didn't want to see too much cleavage, but each dress showed tons of it! I don't know whether to blame the consultant or the bride. I did like her though and the wedding seemed wonderful, with everyone looking incredible and very happy.

That's one thing that has always amused me with the various versions of SYTTD. You'll have a mother/someone in the entourage who doesn't want too much cleavage, and somehow when it's a dress that they happen to love, suddenly the cleavage (which is often as much if not more than in the other dresses the bride was trying on) is fine and not a problem anymore. Funny how that works.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

So much Pnina shade in tonight's episode.  There was the new Male consultant who said the 21000 dollar dress one of his fellow consultants tried on wasn't good 'for anybody.'  And then Kimi,  the kid who met Randy, threw down some "cover up" type judgment. 🙂

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

So much Pnina shade in tonight's episode.  There was the new Male consultant who said the 21000 dollar dress one of his fellow consultants tried on wasn't good 'for anybody.'  And then Kimi,  the kid who met Randy, threw down some "cover up" type judgment. 🙂

I loved it!   That consultant bride bugged me, but she looked nice on her wedding day.  I especially liked her hair piece.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

That consultant bride bugged me, but she looked nice on her wedding day.

She was super-annoying as a bride. I'm surprised mom and mom's sister didn't freak out at the amount of boobage showing in that princess dress. I know it was a sample size, but still, I would have wanted a top with some more coverage.  Her actual dress fitted for her looked much better in that area.

The girl with cancer who wanted to meet Randy and have the dress experience with him was so sweet. Whether it was "Make a Wish" or another program, what a great thing to do. 

When you are a celebrity and you make people happy just by being you and meeting them, that is amazing.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Holy shit. Watching current episode with mom who thinks her daughter is “chubby”. I wanted to see what dress she finally choose and found crazy stuff online! First, she is like a E level celebrity in a few movies. Second, they were married last April and are already divorced. She has a FB page talking all about it - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=553457852

Her mother was horrible and I came to comment on that but this is even more interesting!! 

  • Like 7
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, jenifaohjenny said:

Holy shit. Watching current episode with mom who thinks her daughter is “chubby”. I wanted to see what dress she finally choose and found crazy stuff online! First, she is like a E level celebrity in a few movies. Second, they were married last April and are already divorced. She has a FB page talking all about it - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=553457852

Her mother was horrible and I came to comment on that but this is even more interesting!! 

Divorced already???!!  Wow.  I was just going to comment that I don't notice her "chubby" arms ( per Mom), but the Pnina(?) she tried on,  showing way too much side-boob was all wrong, IMO.

Okay, maybe not the same bride.  Tonight's episode says it is new.

Edited by Thumper
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Chubby arms mom was the least likable person this season, IMO. Interesting that one of her initial comments was about showing too much boobage, but she never said anything about it in any of the dresses her daughter tried, none of which presented her girls in a flattering way. 

I stuck around for the twin wedding thing. It was kind of interesting and kind of cute. It was  also about half an hour of show stretched into 60 minutes. I'm glad they'll all be happy together, but that's just a bit too much closeness for me, even if their kids will be genetic siblings.

Edited by rur
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I wanted to slap the hell out of that mother.

Gospel bride annoyed me. No, God did not pick your dress. And the sleeves she had made were white but the dress was eggshell.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, jenifaohjenny said:

Holy shit. Watching current episode with mom who thinks her daughter is “chubby”. I wanted to see what dress she finally choose and found crazy stuff online! First, she is like a E level celebrity in a few movies. Second, they were married last April and are already divorced. She has a FB page talking all about it - https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=553457852

Her mother was horrible and I came to comment on that but this is even more interesting!! 

I also went to her FB page to see if there were any wedding pics posted - and talk about airing your dirty laundry - she posted an audio of her husband screaming and cursing at her. There were posts there where her mother wrote that she didn’t realize her daughter was a battered wife and listed the signs she missed. 

  • Like 2
  • Surprise 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Well that hateful mother who kept telling her daughter she was fat, has she ever looked in the mirror at herself...she was about 75 lbs overweight. Her daughter was quite firm, lovely and beautiful to boot. A little chubby maybe, but nice and firm lovely arms. God, I hated that bitch of a mother.  Okay, somebody do more research, I really hope that is not that particular bride that is already divorced. Whoa. That fat mother ruined the episode.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

What's with brides today wanting to look sexy on their wedding day.  Really!  Keep the sexy look when you want to go to a club.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

Well that hateful mother who kept telling her daughter she was fat, has she ever looked in the mirror at herself...she was about 75 lbs overweight. Her daughter was quite firm, lovely and beautiful to boot. A little chubby maybe, but nice and firm lovely arms. God, I hated that bitch of a mother.  Okay, somebody do more research, I really hope that is not that particular bride that is already divorced. Whoa. That fat mother ruined the episode.

That is the bride who is already divorced. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, DiamondGirl said:

I didn’t see anything at that Facebook link 🙂

I wonder if she locked it down. I saw the clip @jenifaohjenny was referring to when I looked this morning. You had to scroll down a bit. That mom was a trainwreck and I wonder if the bride was just in it for the famewhoring and to get on TV.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, jcbrown said:

I wonder if she locked it down. I saw the clip @jenifaohjenny was referring to when I looked this morning. You had to scroll down a bit. That mom was a trainwreck and I wonder if the bride was just in it for the famewhoring and to get on TV.

Thinking the whole thing was staged for publicity.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, cameron said:

Thinking the whole thing was staged for publicity.

Thinking the same thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/23/2019 at 8:38 PM, Thumper said:

Divorced already???!!  Wow.  I was just going to comment that I don't notice her "chubby" arms ( per Mom), but the Pnina(?) she tried on,  showing way too much side-boob was all wrong, IMO.

Okay, maybe not the same bride.  Tonight's episode says it is new.

Watched it early on demand! Same bride...the FB page is wild. Possibly engaged to another person at the same time???

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, DiamondGirl said:

No, I mean the link didn’t bring up any page.  I must be doing something wrong:(

For some reason, you have to open Facebook to get to the link. After seeing the page, I had trouble believing it was the same  young woman who was featured on Saturday, until I replayed the show and compared the names. However, after hearing how her mother talked to her on the show, I thought it might be giving some insight into why she didn't see the warning signs of a verbally abusive spouse.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Thinking the whole thing was staged for publicity.

For sure, and it was ridiculous. Can't we just have normal brides? Is there such a thing?

Does anyone watch the "Northern Edition"? It's just OK ... I sort of wish they featured a higher end salon.  Budget is $1,000? Pshaw ... I want to see some really expensive dresses! Actually, it is good to show that a bride can get a beautiful dress without spending thousands.

I know once in a while at Kleinfeld's they will show the entourage "shopping" the showroom floor for gowns. Do brides get to look around too? Wouldn't it be easier to look around yourself, at least a little bit, to show your consultant what appeals to you? Instead of sitting in the room waiting for them to try to find dresses.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/11/2019 at 1:48 PM, roughing it said:

I watched a rerun Saturday evening, and bride Emanuela wanting to spend $16K of daddy's money on a horrific Pnina.  Daddy said she looked like a turkey, which she did, albeit a full busted turkey.  She was full on breasts with glimpses of aereolas peeking out.  What are these brides going to do if fiancé/husband can't provide $$$ for her in everyday life?

Actually, Emanuela is CEO of a successful makeup company (believe it or not) and it was determined when the show originally aired that Daddy works for HER! I suspect she was buying her own gown and the “Daddy Who Couldn’t Say No to His Little Girl” storyline was just producer driven drama. Furthermore, I’ll bet she also paid for that rock on her hand. I forget what fiancé did for a living, but it wasn’t a high paying job. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/13/2019 at 1:19 PM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Basketball "WAG" ... I loved her dress, and thought that the blush version was gorgeous. I'm glad that they were able to help her see what it would look like in white.

How can anybody be so dense? They practically unfurled a white sheet under the tulle skirt to show what the blush dress would look like in white and WAG still squinted and said, “I just can’t picture it...” 

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I just watched the latest episode.  I love Randy's dress on Rebekah (bionic bride.)  What a happy story for her.  I'm glad that we got to see the fitted dress on her.  She looked stunning and classy.  

I felt bad for the other bride with the entourage that just couldn't be happy for her in any dress.  I hope she eventually found something SHE loved.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/25/2019 at 2:41 PM, DiamondGirl said:

No, I mean the link didn’t bring up any page.  I must be doing something wrong:(

If you go to FB and enter “Angelica JJ Pagano” you should be able to view the info. There is a wedding photo where someone is standing in front of her, but she’s leaning over and spilling out of her strapless dress which doesn’t cover her “chubby arms.” She also appeared in what looks to me to be a really cheesy movie, “Jersey Shore Massacre.” She also poses for some provocative photos which strikes me as funny since she was dressed rather modestly on the episode. In fact, when my husband came in the room he asked why she was wearing a parochial school uniform. I told him she must be going for the male fantasy "naughty Catholic school girl look." 

Edited by magemaud
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×