SilverStormm

Halloween Baking Championship

I somehow missed the first half of this season (no fear, I've already set all of Holiday Baking Championship to record) so tuned in last night for a marathon from the episode where Brenda got eliminated with rosewater through the finals. Kept me going while working on making my own Halloween costume from scratch ... so here are my quick thoughts ...

I was absolutely rooting for Jamal who I thought was lovely and creative. It seemed he went through those last few challenges, though, with little (or not-so-little) careless errors each time in the process but with an end result of apparent deliciousness which kept him alive.

With no prior opinions built, I felt like Lyndsey was the favorite so not really surprised when she won. 

On the final challenge, all I could think of with Michelle was the time back when I was 10 that I competed in a sandcastle contest. Basically, I was surrounded by much better sandcastles (though we were all 10 so they weren't THAT amazing) whereas I made a big pile of sand with a few notches here and there but crafted such an elaborate story for the judges of "what everything was" that I actually won. Almost 50 years later I'm still sort of ashamed of that victory. And Michelle's decapitated mermaid twin head reminded me of that.

I REALLY thought if the title was supposed to be based on the performance in the finals then Jamal was ripped off ... I thought his creation was absolutely breathtaking (a big fan of night-sky designs) and it was clearly the most delicious based on the judges' response ... 

That said, it seems like the title was more of a "what you did all season or at least recently" pick and I can't really argue with that.

Hoping that we'll see Jamal on future shows because he's just a delightful breath of fresh island air!

PS Speaking of people I wish we were NOT still seeing from previous shows, I winced every time they showed the trailer for Ultimate Thanksgiving Challenge ... ugh Christopher ugh ugh ugh. 

• Like 6

I am not a fan of Lynsey whatsoever and am so glad that her sing-song, baby voice is gone.  But I will absolutely give her props for a having great deal of talent and her cake was the most beautifully decorated of the three last night -- she deserved the win based on the final challenge.  Jamal has definitely missed the mark in the last couple of weeks' challenges which is a shame because I like him SO much.  I agree with the poster above -- FN, let's see Jamal on future shows (if he wants to do so)!!  Michelle's final cake was not even slightly appealing and she was not a gracious loser.  With all of the "your cake is so dry" comments, it could not have come as a surprise to her that she didn't win, but to just STAND THERE when everyone is hugging and talking at the end was bizarre.  It was like she couldn't leave her spot on the stage.

Love John Henson; Lorraine grew on me this season; Carla was the wonderful Carla; Zach is just meh for me -- his personality is not my cup of tea.

On to the Holiday Baking Championship... 

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 4

Maybe Jamal will end up on Best Bakers, or one of the other FN shows where there aren't gimmicks.      I think Jamal would have won if he hadn't done fondant that was so thick.    I wish in the finale they would give the contestants a lot more time, even two days, and no gimmicks except the theme. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, mlp said:

I stared at that mess Michelle made and listened to the explanation and I still couldn't figure out what I was looking at.  The judges' comments were way too kind.

I have to admit that Lindsey earned her victory but I just didn't like her and her flirty expressions.  I was hoping Jamal would win.  I hope good things come to him as a result of the exposure.  He seems like a genuinely nice guy.

I hope FN finds something else for John Henson in the near future.  I really enjoy watching him.  

I agree. To me it looked like a giant blob. 

15 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Maybe Jamal will end up on Best Bakers, or one of the other FN shows where there aren't gimmicks.      

I would like to see him again. He is very talented and just a real nice guy. I didn't care for Lynsey, but she was really good. When I saw that last cake, I knew she was going to win it unless it was the WORST thing they had ever tasted. 

• Like 5

Quit giving all these ridiculous complicated themes that are so hard to work with and guarantee failure. And the requirement for a smoke effect was lame at best.  For the final just tell them to make their best Halloween cake, pie and go with it. I am betting we would see more spectacular results.  

AND come back John Henson. For anything!

• Like 9

The smoke theme was lame mostly because everyone implemented it the exact same way, i.e. let's throw some dry ice into a little pool of liquid and be done with it.  I'm not saying I could've done better, but that tells you it was probably just a lazy theme in the first place.

I'm ok with Lindsay winning and would've been ok with Jamal, too.  So I guess all is right with the world.  Michelle's mermaid cake was a big ol WTF (and a clear indicator that trying to scale home baker talent to that level ain't easy!) 

Seems like opinions are mixed on the judges... I generally like Lorraine, has anyone ever seen that old baking school show she used to have on Cooking Channel?  She obviously knows her stuff.   I've always disliked Zac on every show he pops up on because he seems to be super into himself, even when he's joking around, it's still like, YEAH I'M JOKING AROUND SEE HOW COOL I AM BECAUSE I CAN TAKE A JOKE.  It just grates on my nerves.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, ruffy666 said:

Seems like opinions are mixed on the judges... I generally like Lorraine, has anyone ever seen that old baking school show she used to have on Cooking Channel?  She obviously knows her stuff.   I've always disliked Zac on every show he pops up on because he seems to be super into himself, even when he's joking around, it's still like, YEAH I'M JOKING AROUND SEE HOW COOL I AM BECAUSE I CAN TAKE A JOKE.  It just grates on my nerves.

Ooh, I now want to hunt down Lorraine's old baking show. I like her a lot. She was on the worst baker in America show wit Duff and they were great together. I stopped watching Worst Cook in America and never would have watched this if not for Lorraine and Duff. It was ok because of them, though. Totally agree on Zac, too. 

I didn't mind Michelle but she did a terrible job on that final cake. Still, she had a pretty good run. As others have said, I would love to see Jamal on another show (and Jon Henson on a lot more shows). He's a delight. I liked Lyndsy and thought she deserved the win. Enjoyed the whole series. 

• Like 2

I didn't mind Michelle and even defended her in the comments, but wow - she was super annoying in the finale. Also that zombie mermaid thing was god-awful ugly and wasn't even close to the theme - and she even got to choose her theme!

I agree with Lindsay's win but she still rubs me the wrong way. Jamal was my favorite.

• Like 6

To my mind, Jon Henson was the best Talk Soup host EVAH. I haven't seen enough of him lately, so more More MORE Henson!

Glad to see everyone agreed on Michelle's mermaid monstrosity. Even after her story I couldn't tell what it was. Her clown face last week was nearly as lame. And she has annoyed me since the season began. When she made that crack when she was assigning the dreams to the other two and Lyndsey gave her a comment right back, she had such a nasty look on her face. Damn, Michelle, if you're gonna dish it out, you gotta learn to take it.

I like Jamal a lot, and I think he'd be great on a show of his own. Sadly, his cake had issues tonight. I think it was close between him and Lyndsey. Notice how he made the face on the running man character? So clean and well done. Michelle didn't even try. I will admit I LOL'd at Jamal's skull with a nose on it. Ha!

• Like 6

What the HELL was that thing Michelle made? I don't think I've ever seen something so bad in the finale before. Damn.

Glad my girl Lindsey won. I loved that she had a dude gone splat with the blood and everything. Girlfriend did not shy away from the macabre this season. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, festivus said:

What the HELL was that thing Michelle made? I don't think I've ever seen something so bad in the finale before. Damn.

Somehow when it came out looking like a three year old smushed play-doh on a pile of dirt, she convinced the judges it was zombie mermaid. Way to go. Now the question is, would some one actually want to serve that at a halloween party? Unless it was a party for three year olds where the three year old guest of honor made it, I don't think so. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, festivus said:

Glad my girl Lindsey won. I loved that she had a dude gone splat with the blood and everything. Girlfriend did not shy away from the macabre this season. 

It was like she wanted to make a zombie even though she had a ghost theme and it turned out looking like a mermaid so she called it the ghost of a zombie mermaid.  Idiotic.

I liked Lindsey too and wanted her to win.

• Like 3

On 10/31/2018 at 3:26 PM, ruffy666 said:

I really like Lorraine and Carla. I've never seen Lorraine's show on the Cooking Channel... but like the authority she brings to the show. She's super critical... but, to me, it seems like she tries to find something nice to say too. She and Carla seem to get along well too. Not like the older woman, who seemed to base her critique's on whether she personally liked the contestant. 

I agree with you about Zac. He seems to be trying too hard... whether he's trying to be funny, clever or snippy. He just needs to pull it back some. Carla can be a little over the top sometimes... but, in the end gives thoughtful and constructive critiques. 

I was rooting for Jamal... but I'm cool with Lindsay winning. Her cake looked the best...  I knew she was going to win, if her cake was tasty too. It was so nice to see Jamal give Lindsay a big congratulatory hug. I think we'll see both of them again. Unfortunately, I think Michelle will pop up a few times too. No way the producers are passing up on that camera mugging and attention grabbing personality.

• Like 6