Jump to content
Lisin

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

Recommended Posts

The picky Austin husband was obnoxious, lazy and pompous.  He doesn’t want to cut a tiny piece of grass or maintain a pool.  Well, hire a kid to cut the grass and a pool company to maintain the pool.  And his comment that he won’t compromise just made me want to slap him.  How does that woman stay with him?  Has he looked in the mirror?  He ain’t no trip to Hollywood. 

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, edie3 said:

well, if you are a Dale Sr. fan,  I will forgive you 😁

I'd have to say that it was more of a "When in Rome" situation.  But it does show that I try to appreciate what various places offer.

.

2 hours ago, CruiseDiva said:

I'm not crazy about Charlotte (DS used to live there), but it's a really nice cosmopolitan Southern city and the airport is very easy to get around. As a hub for US Air, now American, it has a LOT of flights to many destinations domestic and abroad.

When one of the main attractions is how easy it is to get to somewhere else...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I agree with you that they picked the nicest house.  But they were in Waukesha, Wisconsin——-I know that because I grew up there.  I laughed when the husband said he wanted 10 acres, but they only had a $250,000 budget.  Anything in an area that has more than 2 acres of land will run you at least $400,000 on up. And when they looked at the house in Palmyra on 1 1/2 acres, the husband said they were so isolated he couldn’t even see another house, but right there in the background was a house behind a couple of trees.  And believe me, Palmyra is not in the sticks, like the wife had you believe.  There’s shopping nearby, and a good school system (I have a friend who’s a teacher there).  The neighborhood where their house is located is quite nice. 

Sorry! Autocorrect offered “Waukegan,” and I didn’t notice the mistake! 😆

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

The picky Austin husband was obnoxious, lazy and pompous.  He doesn’t want to cut a tiny piece of grass or maintain a pool.  Well, hire a kid to cut the grass and a pool company to maintain the pool.  And his comment that he won’t compromise just made me want to slap him.  How does that woman stay with him?  Has he looked in the mirror?  He ain’t no trip to Hollywood. 

I wonder which one of them will get the house in the divorce settlement. Mr Picky's wife looked totally over him  with his uncompromising obsessions.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

I wonder which one of them will get the house in the divorce settlement. Mr Picky's wife looked totally over him  with his uncompromising obsessions.

Were they married? I remember them saying they met online and it was now 5 years later. Maybe they were married and I zoned out. Lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Were they married? I remember them saying they met online and it was now 5 years later. Maybe they were married and I zoned out. Lol.

Maybe they aren't married. I just assumed they were since I can't imagine why she'd put up with him otherwise.

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

The house the Austin couple bought is in a very small collection of mid century modern houses called Starlight Village.  It is located in Leander, Texas which is about 30 miles north of Austin.  Here's a link to the website of the development.  The website says that one of their houses was to be featured on HGTV House Hunters.   https://starlightvillagehomes.com/  

The husband/boyfriend was beyond annoying with his perfectionism.  I don't understand why they didn't just buy a lot and build something custom.  Of course, if they had done that, he probably would have driven any contractor nuts.  The wife/girlfriend at one point said he was being worse than usual and might have been having a bad day.  Maybe he has some type of disorder that causes him to be overly picky.  I liked the changes they made to the house, but I also liked the original house.  MCM is my favorite style, and I would love to live in a house like that. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Per the Austin couple:  I read in the description that "Picky buyers look for a house in Austin" and I knew one of them would give me a headache - sounds like I made the right decision to skip it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

The Chicago couple tonight. That girl needs to run. Her guy was so hung up on wanting to live as close as possible to his parents. Even 15 minutes away was far for him. It seemed he wanted to recreate his parents' home. He wanted double ovens, he wanted a bungalow just like he had grown up on, they could bump up the roof just like his parents had done. Something was really off with that guy. She was settling for sure. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Pickles said:

The Chicago couple tonight. That girl needs to run. Her guy was so hung up on wanting to live as close as possible to his parents. Even 15 minutes away was far for him. It seemed he wanted to recreate his parents' home. He wanted double ovens, he wanted a bungalow just like he had grown up on, they could bump up the roof just like his parents had done. Something was really off with that guy. She was settling for sure. 

You got that right! I thought they were already married so the ending surprised me.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Pickles said:

The Chicago couple tonight. That girl needs to run. Her guy was so hung up on wanting to live as close as possible to his parents. Even 15 minutes away was far for him. It seemed he wanted to recreate his parents' home. He wanted double ovens, he wanted a bungalow just like he had grown up on, they could bump up the roof just like his parents had done. Something was really off with that guy. She was settling for sure. 

Amen!  She needs to run very far and very fast.  A guy who wants to live within walking distance of Mom and Dad in a house just like theirs is not going to mellow with age.    His insistence on double ovens, etc was just weird.  I never heard him say that he was the cook in the relationship, why did he care?  Because his parents had one, apparently.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

The couples that they are using for this show are getting more and more unbelievable.  Maybe a better word choice is obnoxious.  Also who in their right mind lets their agent pick out prospective properties to see.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I certainly hope that whole story was made up.  Who marries a guy who is so obsessed with copying mommy and daddy? He kept harping on a private place for him to watch his sports on TV which, I bet, will be he and his brothers all over for the games while she is expected to make them all snacks in those double ovens like mom used to do.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I was disappointed in the Chicago episode that there was no voice over.  I am from there originally and love to know where they are.   I was thinking the parents were in Edison Park.  And they were either in Jefferson or Portage Park (where my hubby grew up in a bungalow his grandpa built).

I was trying to see if his parents had the double ovens but couldn't.  We have one oven and either grill the turkey or put it in a Nesco.  Also in a bungalow unless they gut it bathrooms are tiny.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Minority opinion here in that he didn't bother me too much and it is because I found myself agreeing with the same stupid things that irked the Texas guy. I liked the second house, liked that they updated it using what they had (kitchen cabinets?) but would have walked out as soon as I saw the curved wall in bedroom. And my heart melted when I saw the entrance in the brand new mid century style. The colors in the separator (can't think of the word for it) were just so retro and perfect. And that made me completely on his wtf perspective side with the pink nineties style globes over the kitchen island?? I was happy surprised when they chose that house and then cringed a bit because usually people on the show want a "theme" for a house but don't follow through in the decorating of it. Well this couple aced the refresh! It was perfect choices for updated mid century decorating. I am shocked that they pulled it off. 

Also, I got that they met online and immediately clicked several years ago but I don't remember if they mentioned their jobs. Even with his high maintenance personality I sensed that she was a good effect on curbing it.  I liked this couple and would love to see pictures of their home to study more details. 

I was back and forth over the Chicago couple but found myself agreeing with the above posts. I did find it endearing when he said "I thought it was exciting" when she was describing how they met as not being as exciting as medical show exciting. Ha. I hated all the choices. Chicago is really letting me down lately. 

Edited by LucindaWalsh · Reason: needed side to make sense

Share this post


Link to post

According to the Starlight Village website, there will be another house in that development featured on HH in a few months, so if MCM is your thing, watch for that episode.

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/20/2019 at 12:41 AM, KLovestoShop said:

The picky Austin husband was obnoxious, lazy and pompous.  He doesn’t want to cut a tiny piece of grass or maintain a pool.  Well, hire a kid to cut the grass and a pool company to maintain the pool.  And his comment that he won’t compromise just made me want to slap him.  How does that woman stay with him?  Has he looked in the mirror?  He ain’t no trip to Hollywood. 

I thought he was SO unattractive. And yeah, if you can spend $750K on a house (and I believe they spent way less), you can outsource your maintenance. Or SHE could cut the grass. (I used to work with someone who was the youngest of four sisters and mowing the lawn was her chore growing up. She mowed the lawn when she got married, too.) I did laugh when his girlfriend* pointed out that he was wearing pink shorts when he talked shit about the pink lights.

*He wanted to make it official after one date? that would have given me tremendous pause.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder if the picky Austin guy/couple were in the art business? They said they had started a business together. All of the art talk and then they showed a picture of so much art work stored somewhere. Just a thought.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I wonder if the picky Austin guy/couple were in the art business? They said they had started a business together. All of the art talk and then they showed a picture of so much art work stored somewhere. Just a thought.

They said they were collectors but they didn't say they had a business. Could be!

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, laredhead said:

According to the Starlight Village website, there will be another house in that development featured on HH in a few months, so if MCM is your thing, watch for that episode.

Thank you for that information! I will be on the look out. I will probably now so try to find the website and go down a rabbit hole. MCM, seventies, sixties type houses are my favorite. 

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, WI GIRL56 said:

I was disappointed in the Chicago episode that there was no voice over.  I am from there originally and love to know where they are.   I was thinking the parents were in Edison Park.  And they were either in Jefferson or Portage Park (where my hubby grew up in a bungalow his grandpa built).

I was trying to see if his parents had the double ovens but couldn't.  We have one oven and either grill the turkey or put it in a Nesco.  Also in a bungalow unless they gut it bathrooms are tiny.  

Yeah, it was bugging me that they weren't more specific about the locations, since I know that area some.

Share this post


Link to post

Give me a freaking break, Chicago man.  If you need to live within walking distance of your mommy and daddy, you should just give it up and move back in with them.  I’ve never seen such a thing that all the kids have to live so close to their parents.    I kept telling the woman to run as far away as she can from this guy because it’s going to be a nightmare.  At least they decided on the one that was the furthest from his parents.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/20/2019 at 11:47 AM, laredhead said:

The house the Austin couple bought is in a very small collection of mid century modern houses called Starlight Village.  It is located in Leander, Texas which is about 30 miles north of Austin. 

Thanks for posting that.  I wondered where it was. 

MCM is my favorite style, but I think living in a neighborhood of newly manufactured ones would give me the creeps, especially in Leander.  A little too purposeful for my taste (although "purposeful" is not the exact word I'm looking for).

.

12 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Or SHE could cut the grass.

I wondered why, if she was the one who wanted the pool, she wouldn't be the one responsible for its upkeep. 

I didn't like either one of them, and they looked particularly ridiculous next to that gigantic realtor. 

.

16 hours ago, WI GIRL56 said:

I was disappointed in the Chicago episode that there was no voice over.

Me, too.  I have to pay too much attention to get the location and price if there's no voiceover.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I certainly hope that whole story was made up.  Who marries a guy who is so obsessed with copying mommy and daddy? He kept harping on a private place for him to watch his sports on TV which, I bet, will be he and his brothers sall over for the games while she is expected to make them all snacks in those double ovens like mom used to do.

Actually knew a couple in Chicago  who lived in the same bungalow their whole married life and their children bought a few blocks away from them.  It does happen, but not for me!!

Share this post


Link to post

Just watched the episode about the couple moving back to Delaware.  I'm a bit behind on watching the most current shows.  They certainly didn't have the most dynamic of personalities.  I thought the 3rd house was the best bet as far as upkeep, layout, and a compromise on location, but they went with the Victorian which will cost a lot of money to keep up.  Painting that house will be a sticker shock to them in a few years.  I have to say, that yes, I also liked the hummingbird wallpaper in the foyer, but maybe not in so much coverage.  I even think the pheasant wallpaper would have been nice in a small bathroom, or a study.  It goes with the style of the house.    

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, laredhead said:

Just watched the episode about the couple moving back to Delaware.  I'm a bit behind on watching the most current shows.  They certainly didn't have the most dynamic of personalities.  I thought the 3rd house was the best bet as far as upkeep, layout, and a compromise on location, but they went with the Victorian which will cost a lot of money to keep up.  Painting that house will be a sticker shock to them in a few years.  I have to say, that yes, I also liked the hummingbird wallpaper in the foyer, but maybe not in so much coverage.  I even think the pheasant wallpaper would have been nice in a small bathroom, or a study.  It goes with the style of the house.    

I found the wife really annoying, both because I didn't care for the sound of her voice and because she just seemed kind of dour. I liked the bird wallpaper too - I don't think I would have chosen it but it did go with the house.

I just saw one about a cancer survivor in Camden, NJ. She said she promised herself if she survived cancer she'd buy herself a motorcycle and a new house. She and her best friend went cruising on their bikes together. I loved their friendship. She had a modest budget and didn't want the world, which was lovely - she wanted a small yard for less upkeep and enough room for her 7 grandkids to visit. I liked her a lot - she seemed to have a lovely spirit.

Edited by Empress1
  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

Wasn't she inspiring? Seem like a really nice person and had a really supportive family. No carrying on about stupid stuff. Happy to have a house of her own. Such a refreshing episode!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Wasn't she inspiring? Seem like a really nice person and had a really supportive family. No carrying on about stupid stuff. Happy to have a house of her own. Such a refreshing episode!

I love seeing long-standing friendships. My mother has friendships that span 50 years. My grandmothers did too. I have 20-year friendships (since my tweens/teens) and I hope they last forever. I just love seeing that kind of stuff. She said her friend had helped her through cancer and I know she did, you could just tell. Her friend was genuinely happy that her friend was still here and getting things she wanted. When they were cruising on their bikes and one cut off the other one, the other one yelled "You just cut me off!" and I cracked up. They seemed like such nice people. Also, the hunter said she wanted to be near her own mother because she was helping to care for her. That's a family that looks out for each other.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×