Lisin

House Hunters: Buying in the USA

They say there are two kinds of people - starters and finishers.  I'm a finisher.  So, after the Christmas  madness subsided and my house guests departed, I worked my way through 2 weeks worth of HH (gosh there were a lot of extra episodes - they must be cleaning out the attic in preparation for the new year).

Between the bogus holiday episodes, the tiny house and beachfront retreads, and the relentless repetition of the latest House Hunter tropes, I am ready for a break.  

HH bingeing = really bad idea.

• Like 12

Okay there is a House Hunters on now. Couple with 5 children. She is a vet. tech. He is a self employed carpenter. They are in the Bostn area looking for a new construction home iwth acreage , barn, stables workout room, a pool and at least 5 bedrooms.  Wait for this their budget is 2-3 million. I know salaries are higher in the north east but come on. They have not said they won a lottery. I call B/S on this show.  

Don't mean to be off topic by putting this in the House Hunters thread but they did a string of "how close to the beach" shows last night.  There was what appeared to be a young twenty-something ARTIST whose budget was $750,000!!!  Excuse me?  She teaches painting to students in her home.  I guess I better dust off my water colors.  Geesh.  Similar to the quote above, this had to be a case of trustfunditis!!

• Like 10

18 hours ago, 65mickey said:

Okay there is a House Hunters on now. Couple with 5 children. She is a vet. tech. He is a self employed carpenter. They are in the Bostn area looking for a new construction home iwth acreage , barn, stables workout room, a pool and at least 5 bedrooms.  Wait for this their budget is 2-3 million. I know salaries are higher in the north east but come on. They have not said they won a lottery. I call B/S on this show.  

If I had been drinking a beverage, I would have done a spit take when I heard that budget! 😮 Didn’t the house they pick have only three bedrooms for 5 kids?

• Like 3

Don't remember the number of bedrooms but it was the least expensive and the oldest home. Maybe around 1.4 million.  Sill that's a lot of money for a veterinary tech. and a self employed carpenter.  I think  she had a home that she was looking to sell and maybe she made a ton of money on that house. Still I don't know how much income one would need to qualify for a home with a million $+ mortgage even with a large down payment.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, stewedsquash said:

The new Vermont ski lodge episode was listed as regular HH tonight but I think it was a vacation episode

It's not unusual for HH to show a family looking for a vacation home. It didn't feel like a Beachfront Bargain Hunt or similar genre show to me.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2018 at 5:16 PM, 65mickey said:

I was trying to figure out how they had so much money to get a house. Could the husband's business be that successful? I can't imagine they made so much money from the alpacas. Maybe it was a lottery win or inheritance? At least it was fun to see those mansions.

Yeah it could be a divorce settlement too.

On 12/30/2018 at 6:06 PM, chessiegal said:

And they weren't married. Someone inherited a bundle/trust fund/divorced well.

• Like 1

Alpacas are a hobby animal, not profitable unless you breed, and sell to amateurs who think they're going to make a fortune on them.     Selling breeding stock is profitable, but you really don't make a profit just having a few.    I knew a lady who was raising them years ago, and she had a dozen or so, but except for selling the wool once a year or however often they shear them, that was the only profit.  Plus, you had to pay the shearing crew too.    My guess with the Boston couple is trust fund babies, one or both.    My guess is the woman is the one with the money, because she seemed to be the one doing the choosing.    I bet the carpenter boyfriend will be supervising the giant addition on the house, on her dime.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, stewedsquash said:

The new Vermont ski lodge episode was listed as regular HH tonight but I think it was a vacation episode. I liked the duplex condo that was shown and I also liked the cabin they picked. Well, I wouldn't like it for just me but it works as a lots of people on vacation together home. It was nice to see them do old fashioned updating versus "gotta gut this place". I thought the brown painting of the outside did wonders for spiffing it up outside, along with the man fixing the boards on the deck. I didn't catch the first part so I don't know their story but this episode reminded me of HH, back in the day style and it was nice.

I felt that cabin they picked was a money pit and didn’t he say there were structural issues? but it seemed with the husband’s skills, he was able to do a lot of the work himself, so maybe it was cheaper. I can see why though they would pick it, but I thought the duplex condo was better.

3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Alpacas are a hobby animal, not profitable unless you breed, and sell to amateurs who think they're going to make a fortune on them.     Selling breeding stock is profitable, but you really don't make a profit just having a few.    I knew a lady who was raising them years ago, and she had a dozen or so, but except for selling the wool once a year or however often they shear them, was the only profit.  Plus, you had to pay the shearing crew too.    My guess with the Boston couple is trust fund babies, one or both.    My guess is the woman is the one with the money, because she seemed to be the one doing the choosing.    I bet the carpenter boyfriend will be supervising the giant addition on the house, on her dime.   

That could very well be possible with the girlfriend. Good point.

• Like 1

Vermont Ski Lodge Hunters episode last night: Producer-driven, maybe, but that wife had something negative to say every single time she opened her mouth. And then the husband would grin and make a joke. How can those two be married? And then twice she threw huge shade at her husband and kids about how they think there's a Dinner Fairy who comes in and cooks for them and a Laundry Fairy who takes care of all the dirty clothes. Ha-ha-ha it was so funny ... except it sounded like she was really cheesed off about it. I bet she does have to do all the cooking and all the laundry and I bet none of them ever thinks of helping and I bet all she does is be snide to them all the time. Brrrrrrr.

Oh, yeah, and they looked at some houses :)

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Kathcart said:

Vermont Ski Lodge Hunters episode last night: Producer-driven, maybe, but that wife had something negative to say every single time she opened her mouth. And then the husband would grin and make a joke. How can those two be married? And then twice she threw huge shade at her husband and kids about how they think there's a Dinner Fairy who comes in and cooks for them and a Laundry Fairy who takes care of all the dirty clothes. Ha-ha-ha it was so funny ... except it sounded like she was really cheesed off about it. I bet she does have to do all the cooking and all the laundry and I bet none of them ever thinks of helping and I bet all she does is be snide to them all the time. Brrrrrrr.

Oh, yeah, and they looked at some houses :)

RIght? And then when he was pointing out the structural issues with the deck in the one they bought she looked at him and asked, very annoyed, "can you NOT be a forensic architect for one minute!?" Even though his explanation was easy to understand, a legitimate concern, and maybe be grateful that the expertise to diagnose the issue resides within your family. She was awful.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, jcbrown said:

RIght? And then when he was pointing out the structural issues with the deck in the one they bought she looked at him and asked, very annoyed, "can you NOT be a forensic architect for one minute!?" Even though his explanation was easy to understand, a legitimate concern, and maybe be grateful that the expertise to diagnose the issue resides within your family. She was awful.

A husband who is a forensic architect would be ideal for house hunting!

South Carolina: Nonny and Pawpaw. 🤢 I can’t stand cutesy names for grandparents.

• Like 3

I bought my townhouse 20 years ago and it wasn't new. At the time it didn't occur to me to buy new-new. Now, that I'll be moving (downsizing....it's just me) I'm going all out on my next home. I want all new and I want everything white. White on white on white. LOL!!! I'd be perfect for HH.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I can’t stand cutesy names for grandparents.

Ditto!  The minute that came out I turned it off. I know some of that is regional but still.  Ugh.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Ditto!  The minute that came out I turned it off. I know some of that is regional but still.  Ugh.

Nonny & Pawpaw are cutesy names or weird or diffident? I’ve heard everything for grandparents names. My parents are great grandparents and the grandparents had to come up with another name. They’re actually similar to Nonny & Pawpaw. I didn’t realize it was a problem for people. Who knew?

• Like 2

18 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

South Carolina: Nonny and Pawpaw. 🤢 I can’t stand cutesy names for grandparents.

No kidding, I think it would be great to have someone who not only could figure out the deck was unsafe before it collapsed, but would also know what to do to fix it.

• Like 4

On 1/1/2019 at 10:56 PM, stewedsquash said:

The new Vermont ski lodge episode was listed as regular HH tonight but I think it was a vacation episode. I liked the duplex condo that was shown and I also liked the cabin they picked. Well, I wouldn't like it for just me but it works as a lots of people on vacation together home. It was nice to see them do old fashioned updating versus "gotta gut this place". I thought the brown painting of the outside did wonders for spiffing it up outside, along with the man fixing the boards on the deck. I didn't catch the first part so I don't know their story but this episode reminded me of HH, back in the day style and it was nice.

The husband on that episode was kind of a jerk! He kept laughing about how he never has to do laundry or cook because his wife does it.

On 1/2/2019 at 1:20 PM, Booklady1017 said:

I was trying to figure out how they had so much money to get a house. Could the husband's business be that successful? I can't imagine they made so much money from the alpacas. Maybe it was a lottery win or inheritance? At least it was fun to see those mansions.

Yeah it could be a divorce settlement too.

Good carpenters-not the average fix stuff around the house but master craftsman types-can make a lot of money.

• Like 1

The San Antonio couple----there's no way I could have the wife as my lawyer. Her voice and the vocal fry would drive me crazy. It was especially obvious during house three when the wife was wearing the way too tight white pants. But I will say that as a couple, I did like them. No complaining about everything they saw and they were open to every house. 

• Like 5

San Antonio: I loved the mid-century modern house. That courtyard with the koi pond was zen! 

6 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Nonny & Pawpaw are cutesy names or weird or diffident? I’ve heard everything for grandparents names. My parents are great grandparents and the grandparents had to come up with another name. They’re actually similar to Nonny & Pawpaw. I didn’t realize it was a problem for people. Who knew?

Not a problem. I just don’t like the cutesy names. I don’t know why they are necessary. Is it so hard to distinguish grandparents?

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

San Antonio: I loved the mid-century modern house. That courtyard with the koi pond was zen! 

Not a problem. I just don’t like the cutesy names. I don’t know why they are necessary. Is it so hard to distinguish grandparents?

To a 4 year old. Yes. LOL!!!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I don’t know why they are necessary. Is it so hard to distinguish grandparents?

Guess I'm old fashioned but I feel the same way.  And my 36 cousins had no trouble distinguishing the various sets of grandparents at any age.   

• Like 4

San Antonio::  The husband kind of gave away which house was theirs when they were looking at the house and he said, "When we get in here."

11 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

The San Antonio couple----there's no way I could have the wife as my lawyer. Her voice and the vocal fry would drive me crazy. It was especially obvious during house three when the wife was wearing the way too tight white pants. But I will say that as a couple, I did like them. No complaining about everything they saw and they were open to every house. 

I thought the husband was a tiny bit annoying.  A nice guy with a pretty good sense of humor, but he seems like a slacker. I know he's "about to open a coffee shop," but what is he doing now, when they're purchasing a home? Or did he have money saved up from his prior employment?

I hated the staged scene when the wife was packing up for work and the husband was on the floor stretching on a yoga mat. Couldn't they have been in the kitchen so he could hand her a cup of coffee on her way out the door? I just hated the image that he was on his butt chilling while she busted her ass going to court every day. 

Nevertheless, they were a nice couple that seemed to get along. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Oh, I thought even the husband had a weird case of vocal fry or at the very least, a strange way of speaking. I found both of them insufferable, though...like they were too hip for the room or something. 

• Like 3

On 1/2/2019 at 9:22 PM, jcbrown said:

She was annoying that wife!

On 1/3/2019 at 12:13 AM, LittleIggy said:

Agreed he would be helpful.

Those type of nicknames are annoying.

22 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

San Antonio: I liked them as a couple too, also because they didn’t complain about the houses a lot. I was just confused if they were previously renting or looking for a bigger house. They guy t make it clear.

21 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

San Antonio: I liked that courtyard with the koi pond, but I’m personally not a fan of the mid century style.

• Like 3

One thing I laughed about was when they were standing in a very large closet, instead of saying that it was not big enough or that the husband would have to use another closet, he looked around and said that they would have to do a lot of shopping to fill it! Finally someone who didn't need a separate room for all of their many clothes!

• Like 11

12 hours ago, suebee12 said:
  •  
  •  

Yeah, Suebee,  I get what you're saying about how annoying it is when the HH demands an enormous closet.  And won't share.  But it gets on my last nerve when the HH looks at a large house (or closet) and says "haha, I'll have to buy more furniture (or clothes) to fill it".  

Conspicuous consumption at its worst.

And sorry, my first attempt to quote was a big fail and I don't know how to fix it!

Edited by kirklandia
  • Like 1

OMG, I saw a promo for the episode next Tuesday (1-8). It was announced as being a tie-in with that new lost dog on a journey movie. The episode is going to feature a dog touring the houses with his “owners” and making voice-over comments. 🤭🤢

• Like 4

The Dallas couple tonight. They both had the same facial features and body type. I didn't really care for either of them. She was annoying and kept saying how they were "adulting so hard" tee hee. They were young and somewhat obnoxious.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

OMG, I saw a promo for the episode next Tuesday (1-8). It was announced as being a tie-in with that new lost dog on a journey movie. The episode is going to feature a dog touring the houses with his “owners” and making voice-over comments. 🤭🤢

You've GOT to be kidding! If not, that sounds like a shark jump if I ever heard one.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, kirklandia said:

Yeah, Suebee,  I get what you're saying about how annoying it is when the HH demands an enormous closet.  And won't share.  But it gets on my last nerve when the HH looks at a large house (or closet) and says "haha, I'll have to buy more furniture (or clothes) to fill it".  

Oh, I agree with you and when I added that he mentioned that they would need more clothes, I was just happy that they knew the closet was plenty big enough for the clothes they have...just so different from the ones who walk into a closet that is bigger than most people's bedroom and p*ss and moan about not having enough space. It was just so refreshing!!!

• Like 4

Cleveland.  I don’t really understand her aversion to wood or preference for laminate, but it was nice to see someone who didn’t have the typical wish list.  She was also very realistic about what her money could buy and the houses demonstrated why Cleveland is known for its reasonable housing priced; you get a good bang for your buck here.

All of the houses were in eastern suburbs with the house she chose in Eastlake being a little farther out from downtown but, unlike so many others on the show,  she didn’t seem fixated on that.  The Mayfield Heights house was clearly a decoy, weird layout and tiny rooms.  The show never talks about the practical issues involved in deciding where to live, but the school system in Eastlake would be the reason I would choose it over Euclid every time.

• Like 1

The Cleveland woman kept saying she didn't like wood, but what she meant was "stained wood".  At first I thought she was being ridiculous to object to wood in a house.  I think it would have been nice for her mother or friend to have politely interjected something like "you mean you don't like stained wood, and would prefer painted wood".  Took me a few scenes to figure out her hatred of wood.  I liked the front porch on the house she bought.

• Like 1

Cleveland ep:  She kept using the wrong terminology for her dislike of "wood".  She basically wanted white trim, baseboards and doors. Not the "oak look."  I agree with her - a lot of houses where I live are "oaked out" and it really dates the home, IMO.  We chose to paint all of ours white, not only to update the look, but to also to brighten up the rooms.  I have a friend that that painted all of theirs black for a more modern look and others that just stained everything a few shades darker.  The mom said she was coming along to advise her daughter because "there is more to buying a house than the price and the location".  Umm...those are like the two main factors, but okay.  Then she proceeds to tell the daughter she needs to replace the countertop because they are laminate.  UGH!!! 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

Cleveland ep:  She kept using the wrong terminology for her dislike of "wood".  She basically wanted white trim, baseboards and doors. Not the "oak look."  I agree with her - a lot of houses where I live are "oaked out" and it really dates the home, IMO.  We chose to paint all of ours white, not only to update the look, but to also to brighten up the rooms.  I have a friend that that painted all of theirs black for a more modern look and others that just stained everything a few shades darker.  The mom said she was coming along to advise her daughter because "there is more to buying a house than the price and the location".  Umm...those are like the two main factors, but okay.  Then she proceeds to tell the daughter she needs to replace the countertop because they are laminate.  UGH!!! 

I laughed when Cleveland buyer said she didn't like wood and her friend said "Wood is a common building material." I do think it's odd to prefer laminate.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, laredhead said:

The Cleveland woman kept saying she didn't like wood, but what she meant was "stained wood".  At first I thought she was being ridiculous to object to wood in a house.  I think it would have been nice for her mother or friend to have politely interjected something like "you mean you don't like stained wood, and would prefer painted wood".  Took me a few scenes to figure out her hatred of wood.  I liked the front porch on the house she bought.

She said she didn't like wood, but she did like a wood grained brown laminate floor, so I don't think it was just the color she didn't like.

On 1/6/2019 at 1:53 AM, MsTree said:

You've GOT to be kidding! If not, that sounds like a shark jump if I ever heard one.

Maybe that promo is just a promo and not a real episode since there wasn’t an episode like that tonight. I hope so! 

I was prepared to dislike the Jersey DJ and his fiancée (beauty room 🙄), but they seemed like a nice couple.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I was prepared to dislike the Jersey DJ and his fiancée (beauty room 🙄), but they seemed like a nice couple.

They were quite reasonable, I must say.  No exclamations of horror and I liked when he admitted that while he liked the look of a Cape Cod he never thought through what the inside would be like on the second floor.

• Like 4

How did Drewski land that gorgeous wife?!  They were cute and reasonable.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

They were quite reasonable, I must say.  No exclamations of horror and I liked when he admitted that while he liked the look of a Cape Cod he never thought through what the inside would be like on the second floor.

38 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I fell asleep on the Jersey couple but I thought she was gorgeous.

Yes. She (Starr?) was a bit of a complainer, but she was so beautiful and generally pleasant, I couldn’t bring myself to dislike her. I’ll bet she gets away with many things in life because of her looks. 

I was also prepared to hate the home-boy DJ boyfriend with the red hair and blue eyes, but I ended up really liking him. 

• Like 2

I just watched the single mom in Cleveland this morning.  I really liked her, her mom, and the best friend.  I'd totally house shop with them!

I like the "normal" house hunters like these ladies.  No weird aversions, astronomical budgets to which I can't relate, etc.  Although her fixation on wood (and misuse of the word) was a bit much after a while.  I loved when the best friend noted that wood is a common building material.  Hee.

I saw the dog portion, and it was separate from the house hunt.   However cute it was, I still don't like the tie-in to movies, just show the ad all of the time the way they were doing.   

• Like 1

The NJ fiancée reminded me of a younger Jennifer Lopez - both her looks and her voice.  I was ready for the DJ to be "Vanilla Ice" - thankfully, he was not.  I liked that he thought everything was move in ready (whether it was or not).  He was definitely a glass is half full kind of a guy.  

• Like 4

The Orange County wife made it clear she had zero interest in a kitchen. She does no cooking. They grill. Kind of interesting, but I cannot imagine being so disinterested in that space. 

• Like 5

On 1/3/2019 at 12:13 AM, LittleIggy said:

South Carolina: Nonny and Pawpaw.

The other day, I was watching the College Football National Championship game with my son. He asked me which team I was rooting for. I really didn’t care about either team, but I thought about this couple and their strong Clemson pride, so I rooted for Clemson. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Pickles said:

The Orange County wife made it clear she had zero interest in a kitchen. She does no cooking. They grill. Kind of interesting, but I cannot imagine being so disinterested in that space. 

It was kind of refreshing, though. We've seen more than one wife demand a chef's kitchen even as they brag about not knowing how to cook. At least this one was honest, lol. My mother and I liked the second house best and were surprised they took the first, smallest one without a garage, even if it was the closest to the beach. There's not much difference between 5 and 8 miles, really, you're not walking either way.

• Like 6

Orange County:  I would have taken the second house, too.  In addition to being the smallest and no garage, I didn't like the layout of the outside of the first house.  

However, if I'm not mistaken, the first one was in Orange County, and I thought the other two were in San Diego County?  If so, maybe they just wanted an Orange County address.

• Like 2

Orange County, she got on my nerves.  She was just too "rad" about kitchens and not cooking.  We heard you the first time.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Orange County:  I would have taken the second house, too.  In addition to being the smallest and no garage, I didn't like the layout of the outside of the first house.  

Plus only one bathroom. It was funny when the 15 year old daughter gushed about her loft, but the shot of it made it look like a storage area.

• Like 10