radishcake

S27.E05: Treehouse of Horror XXVI

In the annual fright fest Halloween episode, Sideshow Bob finally kills Bart, only to reanimate him; Homer wakes up with short-term memory loss; and Lisa, Bart, and Milhouse get super powers from radiation.

Cold Open: John K goodness! I'll admit, this was freaking awesome. And of course the monster in the grave was Grimey (according to Al Jean, it was the crew's only note to John K aside from Bart saying "Tick or Treat.")

Wanted: Dead, Then Alive: "24 years of attempting to kill a 10 year old boy has finally paid off!" Massive balls for the show doing this story first. But man, this was just brutal. Of course Bob wouldn't be able to stand today's college students. But this IS Springfield U after all. (I loved that he still went back to teach after becoming a chimera).

Homerzilla: Great detail on everyone's dialogue being poorly dubbed and badly acted. I also loved how Homerzilla (at least the B&W one) clearly looked like Homer in a Godzilla suit...and then it revealed it really was a movie. I thought the segment went downhill once we got that twist, even if it took lots of great potshots at the two American Godzilla movies.

"We can only slowly avoid it!"

Telepaths of Glory: This was probably the best of the three segments. Of course Milhouse and Maggie getting superpowers would be awesome. Maggie making Frenchmen polite was probably my favorite paert.

"God gave you these powers for good, not jazz!"

ETA: All three segments started great but just...petered out. None of them had any ending, they just ended.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 2

Last week's Halloween episode was a lot better. To quote Kang and Kodos, just because you make it look like season 4 doesn't make it season 4.

And I did not need to see Bob abusing Bart's corpse like that.

• Like 4

"Just cause it looks like season 4 doesn't make it season 4!'  True words, Kodos.

I don't watch Simpsons as often anymore but I did tonight for Sideshow Bob and it didn't disappoint.  There was a LOT of hidden jokes for both Simpsons and Fox properties (Scrat!) I did enjoy the Zilla French AND Quebec French dubbings being tossed.

• Like 1

Telepaths of Glory: This was probably the best of the three segments. Of course Milhouse and Maggie getting superpowers would be awesome. Maggie making Frenchmen polite was probably my favorite part.

A Chronicle parody? Really? Although, I did enjoy the shot at all the found footage movies.

Homerzilla: Great detail on everyone's dialogue being poorly dubbed and badly acted. I also loved how Homerzilla (at least the B&W one) clearly looked like Homer in a Godzilla suit...and then it revealed it really was a movie. I thought the segment went downhill once we got that twist, even if it took lots of great potshots at the two American Godzilla movies.

I didn't see the parody swerve into making fun of the Godzilla movies, but not bad.

Wanted: Dead, Then Alive: "24 years of attempting to kill a 10 year old boy has finally paid off!" Massive balls for the show doing this story first. But man, this was just brutal. Of course Bob wouldn't be able to stand today's college students. But this IS Springfield U after all. (I loved that he still went back to teach after becoming a chimera).

Damn, I wanted to love this but just killing Bart over and over got old. I did enjoy the shot at the young people, though. Get off my lawn!

"Just cause it looks like season 4 doesn't make it season 4!'  True words, Kodos.

Simpsons meta at its finest.

• Like 1

I thought it was particularly funny after Homer knocked out Sideshow Bob with the lamp and he stated that "that was for framing Krusty" -- a callback all the way to Season 1.  Loved that moment.

• Like 2

I thought the segment went downhill once we got that twist, even if it took lots of great potshots at the two American Godzilla movies.

The first of which had Hank Azaria, Harry Shearer, and Nancy Cartwright among its cast.

• Like 2

The first of which had Hank Azaria, Harry Shearer, and Nancy Cartwright among its cast.

Yep, saw it in the theater when Rifftrax mocked it last year. One of the guys sucking up to the director at the end was modeled to be Hank Azaria to boot.

I loved the first story, but I found the last two to be okay. I never saw Chronicle (which is on my always growing list of movies I want to watch, but have been out for a long time) and I never saw the Godzilla remake but still I liked how Grandpa was the only one feeding the Homer beast donuts. 

I seriously only laughed when Bob stepped on a rake (of course!), had to deal with Springfield's finest collegiate students, Homer hitting him for framing Krusty a million years ago, and when Maggie turned the Frenchman into a polite Frenchman.

I think I liked last week's ep better than the actual ToH but I'll rewatch this when I can, maybe I'll like it better. 

I'm not sure where to put this but FXX is showing Treehouse of Horror I through XXV  this Saturday beginning at 11:30am.  Enjoy!

• Like 2

When did Marge stop introducing the episodes? It was probably a few years ago.. but this was the first time I noticed.

It didn't feel like a THOH.

20 years ago. THOH5 was the last time.

OMG, Really? Man, I am old. Thanks for making me feel old. You're the worst.

I guess they all ran together in my head.

It's so weird that the majority of the episodes didn't have the Marge Intro, but I associate THOH + Marge intro as a thing. I'm living in a very specific past I guess!

• Like 2

It's not the traditional Standing In Front Of The Curtain bit, but Treehouse XVIII sort of has a Marge intro... "Remember Halloween?  It was last week, but here at the Simpson house, we're still celebrating!"  Then her attempt to introduce the episode keeps being interrupted by on-screen promos for other Fox shows.  Which she then violently destroys... I particularly enjoy Marge microwaving House.

Edited by JyDanzig
  • Like 1

I did rather enjoy Japanese Moe sticking by his decision to mock Grandpa's floating donut ritual. Dan Castelenetta's Godzilla scream in Homer's voice was also freaking great.

There are a things that this show lost as it passed the ten year mark, but great voice acting was never one of them.