radishcake

S27.E02: Cue Detective

Scotty Boom, a Chew Network super-chef, challenges Homer to a smoke-off. But when someone steals Homer’s secret weapon – a smoker he bought off a mysterious man at a BBQ shack – Lisa and Bart are on the case.

When the episode starts with kids booing the 20th Century Fox logo, I knew this was gonna be a good one. This one was MUCH better than last week.

I can't believe the Simpsons would show (most) of the real Dr. Doolittle. Well, I guess the writers are tired of writing their own bad movies, so they used a real one.

Loved the return of the Land of Chocolate music for Homer's BBQ trip...which came back for Marge's. I also noticed Homer's muumuu in the attic. Also, Bender in the basement!

I did like how even after Homer failed to buy a washer the family kept wearing laundry day clothes for the rest of the episode. You really don't see continuity like that these days. Marge should really know not to trust Homer to spend money wisely, this whole plot had a "curse you, magic beans" vibe to it, which I actually liked. I was kinda sad at Greasy Hobo (Edward James Olmos) being needlessly killed off, but his Cloud Self was just so funny. Now he can spy on anyone in the shower!

I wish Alton Brown was in the episode more, but I liked what he brought to it. And That was Ben Schwartz (aka Jean-Ralphio) as the Trader Joe's guy with the hoop earrings. Also, Bobby Moynihan as Bobby Flay, er, Scotty Boom's son.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 5

When the episode starts with kids booing the 20th Century Fox logo, I knew this was gonna be a good one. This one was MUCH better than last week.

I can't believe the Simpsons would show (most) of the real Dr. Doolittle. Well, I guess the writers are tired of writing their own bad movies, so they used a real one.

Loved the return of the Land of Chocolate music for Homer's BBQ trip...which came back for Marge's. I also noticed Homer's muumuu in the attic. Also, Bender in the basement!

I did like how even after Homer failed to buy a washer the family kept wearing laundry day clothes for the rest of the episode. You really don't see continuity like that these days. Marge should really know not to trust Homer to spend money wisely, this whole plot had a "curse you, magic beans" vibe to it, which I actually liked. I was kinda sad at Greasy Hobo (Edward James Olmos) being needlessly killed off, but his Cloud Self was just so funny. Now he can spy on anyone in the shower!

I wish Alton Brown was in the episode more, but I liked what he brought to it. And That was Ben Schwartz (aka Jean-Ralphio) as the Trader Joe's guy with the hoop earrings. Also, Bobby Moynihan as Bobby Flay, er, Scotty Boom's son.

Agreed, that was a definite improvement over last week.

Wasn't quite sure what to make of the scenes running over the credits -- the smoker was indestructible and survived for over a 1000 years until aliens bees landed on Earth and took it with them.

• Like 1

Wasn't quite sure what to make of the scenes running over the credits --

And that was the theme song for season 1 True Detective, right? Edited by GaryE
  • Like 1

Yes it was -- which kind of made things even more confusing.

Well, the episode is called "Cue Detective." Don't know why it played over a Mad Max-like timeskip, though.

Agreed, that was a definite improvement over last week.

Wasn't quite sure what to make of the scenes running over the credits -- the smoker was indestructible and survived for over a 1000 years until aliens bees landed on Earth and took it with them.

The Greasy Hobo's story that The Hive fell from space ended up being true.

• Like 1

I had such poor hopes for this season after the depressing, Lena Dunham-infused premiere. But, holy crap. This episode had a reasonable ending and a television show tie-in that won't totally date the episode in a few years. I'm impressed.

Loved the Alton line regarding cuts that'd make the cooking show more dramatic. Also loved the reaction to Marge's every-spice brisket. And I laughed out loud when the greasy hobo in the clouds quickly mentioned that he died. Well done, season 27.

• Like 1

This episode was far better than last week's episode. I also loved how the whole family was wearing attic clothes the whole time during this episode and that the washer machine plot wasn't solved till the end of the episode (and I am thinking that the animators had a hell of a time drawing/coloring in all of those new clothes!). Although, I was thinking that Homer would've won the contest or at least won enough money to buy a new washer but it turns out Marge just sold the Beehive Smoker, and we even got a flashforward with the life of the magic Beehive Smoker! Why isn't that all flashforward's to distant futures always end up in a dystopian world for this show?

I was kinda sad at Greasy Hobo (Edward James Olmos) being needlessly killed off, but his Cloud Self was just so funny. Now he can spy on anyone in the shower!

Wait that was Edward James Olmos?! I never noticed. 

For a moment there I actually thought that they would show one of their own, make believe movies, but they ended up just showing Dr. Doolittle (without hearing the Talk To The Animals Song), but I am not surprised that this was one of Skinner's favorite movies. Totally typical of him to like a bad movie and I feel we dodge a bullet and Skinner didn't show Howard The Duck

• Like 1

I agree, there was a definite improvement in this week's ep compared to the premiere. The second the kids started booing the 20th Century Fox logo I smiled and my hopes were raised. Loved all the guest VOs, I have the weirdest crush on Ben Schwartz and loved hearing him as the guy with the ear lobe hoops. Loved seeing the Simpsons, er, Stink-sons, in their various attic clothes; I swear Maggie was wearing an oven mitt at one point. It's too bad the Greasy Hobo died, I really liked him and Edward James Olmos performance. 

I so feel for those Springfield Elementary students. We too were subjected to old family-demo movies in the elementary and middle grade school I attended (via projector!), one of them being Dr. Doolittle, and I never want to see any of them again. :-)

MUCH BETTER! Not perfect, but the first episode that made me laugh in a while.

I loved the kids heckling Dr. Doolittle. And I was pleasantly surprised that Marge actually had a funny joke about Lance Armstrong...and she actually tried to encourage Lisa's Buddhism! That really shocked me, considering how intolerant she is of it most of the time.

I groaned when they sent Homer out alone with a bag of money to buy a washing machine. You just know he's going to lose the money buying something silly. Then Homer made a reference about what we're thinking, so I'll give them props for that.

• Like 2

MUCH BETTER! Not perfect, but the first episode that made me laugh in a while.

I loved the kids heckling Dr. Doolittle. And I was pleasantly surprised that Marge actually had a funny joke about Lance Armstrong...and she actually tried to encourage Lisa's Buddhism! That really shocked me, considering how intolerant she is of it most of the time.

I loved that Lance Armstrong moment. I thought for sure Marge was going to be behind the times on the Livestrong Bracelet story and have Lisa correct her, but instead she was just awesome in the way she turned the real story into an inspiration.  Heh.

I did like the little throwback to a great earlier moment when Homer lifted his head up off the ground to say "To try is to fail!"  To me, that's almost the same thing as showing the Mumu in the attic.  

And god help me, I loved Santa's Little Helper with his head in the peanut butter jar.  Possibly because I now own a greyhound, (the Italian version) and yep. I can see that happening.  

• Like 2