TheGongOfDoom

NFL Thread

45 minutes ago, Court said:

In regards to Kap, let's not forget Denver offered a contract to him early on but he turned them down. I think both the NFL and Kap were wrong which is why both agreed to the settlement. 

The circumstance were very different then. Kaepernick wasn't a free agent, Elway was exploring a trade with the Niners and he wanted Kaepernick to take a fifty percent pay cut. Kaepernick said no and stayed with the Niners. All of this happened before Kaepernick started his protests, so it's not like Elway was doing him a favor.

I would have said no too. Elway wanted to pick him up on the cheap.

Edited by xaxat
  • Like 2

It's my understanding that Denver's offer was way below Kap's market value at the time. I don't see an NFL player being 'wrong' for wanting to negotiate what they are worth since contracts aren't guaranteed. One may argue that market value dollar figure, and that's fair. No player in any sport is obligated to just take what is offered. 

I would like to know the circumstances surrounding this settlement because it seems to me that the NFL did not want this trial, given there is audio from the owners' meeting that is very damaging to them. I don't think Kap did anything wrong. The issues he wanted to raise awareness for are still problems now. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, ganesh said:

It's my understanding that Denver's offer was way below Kap's market value at the time. I don't see an NFL player being 'wrong' for wanting to negotiate what they are worth since contracts aren't guaranteed. One may argue that market value dollar figure, and that's fair. No player in any sport is obligated to just take what is offered. 

I would like to know the circumstances surrounding this settlement because it seems to me that the NFL did not want this trial, given there is audio from the owners' meeting that is very damaging to them. I don't think Kap did anything wrong. The issues he wanted to raise awareness for are still problems now. 

I don't think he needed to take a pay cut either nor do I think his kneeling was wrong. However, the fact is that he was offered a contract elsewhere and teams did work him out.  Wrong may have been the incorrect term to use. For Kap to agree to the settlement also means to me that perhaps his case isn't as strong as some might think.  Do I think he could start for an NFL team? Absolutely but he hasn't played now in what 2 seasons and there are simply teams that his style doesn't fit. I am surprised no one signed him last season for many reasons.  That would have been an easy way to have the lawsuit dismissed. 

I'm guessing we won't know all the terms because of "confidentiality".

I wasn't aware any teams worked him out. And it was pointed out that the Denver offer was a 50% pay cut, so it's hard to fault Kap for turning that down. 

I certainly would have liked Kap to continue the case against the NFL and drag them through the mud. I don't necessarily think because Kap settled that his case wasn't strong. Say the case goes to trial and he wins. He might get the same money. None of this results in him getting a QB job in the NFL. He never was going to. We all know the owners shut him out. There's documented audio. He got his pound of flesh.