TheGongOfDoom

NFL Thread

45 minutes ago, Court said:

In regards to Kap, let's not forget Denver offered a contract to him early on but he turned them down. I think both the NFL and Kap were wrong which is why both agreed to the settlement. 

The circumstance were very different then. Kaepernick wasn't a free agent, Elway was exploring a trade with the Niners and he wanted Kaepernick to take a fifty percent pay cut. Kaepernick said no and stayed with the Niners. All of this happened before Kaepernick started his protests, so it's not like Elway was doing him a favor.

I would have said no too. Elway wanted to pick him up on the cheap.

Edited by xaxat
  • Like 5

It's my understanding that Denver's offer was way below Kap's market value at the time. I don't see an NFL player being 'wrong' for wanting to negotiate what they are worth since contracts aren't guaranteed. One may argue that market value dollar figure, and that's fair. No player in any sport is obligated to just take what is offered. 

I would like to know the circumstances surrounding this settlement because it seems to me that the NFL did not want this trial, given there is audio from the owners' meeting that is very damaging to them. I don't think Kap did anything wrong. The issues he wanted to raise awareness for are still problems now. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, ganesh said:

It's my understanding that Denver's offer was way below Kap's market value at the time. I don't see an NFL player being 'wrong' for wanting to negotiate what they are worth since contracts aren't guaranteed. One may argue that market value dollar figure, and that's fair. No player in any sport is obligated to just take what is offered. 

I would like to know the circumstances surrounding this settlement because it seems to me that the NFL did not want this trial, given there is audio from the owners' meeting that is very damaging to them. I don't think Kap did anything wrong. The issues he wanted to raise awareness for are still problems now. 

I don't think he needed to take a pay cut either nor do I think his kneeling was wrong. However, the fact is that he was offered a contract elsewhere and teams did work him out.  Wrong may have been the incorrect term to use. For Kap to agree to the settlement also means to me that perhaps his case isn't as strong as some might think.  Do I think he could start for an NFL team? Absolutely but he hasn't played now in what 2 seasons and there are simply teams that his style doesn't fit. I am surprised no one signed him last season for many reasons.  That would have been an easy way to have the lawsuit dismissed. 

I'm guessing we won't know all the terms because of "confidentiality".

I wasn't aware any teams worked him out. And it was pointed out that the Denver offer was a 50% pay cut, so it's hard to fault Kap for turning that down. 

I certainly would have liked Kap to continue the case against the NFL and drag them through the mud. I don't necessarily think because Kap settled that his case wasn't strong. Say the case goes to trial and he wins. He might get the same money. None of this results in him getting a QB job in the NFL. He never was going to. We all know the owners shut him out. There's documented audio. He got his pound of flesh. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Court said:

teams did work him out.

No teams worked him out.    In fact, they preferred to keep trading Osweiler around and signed Jack Johnson who had last played in the League longer ago than Kaepernick than even bring him in for a tryout.   Mostly because if they gave him a tryout it would have shown the claim that he couldn't play anymore was a lie.   Or that he wanted too much money.  Or that he wouldn't accept being a back up.    

• Like 3

I'm actually not disagreeing with either of you. I just can understand why some teams may not have signed him or needed him. Other teams should have signed him and did need him. I hope he does still get to play somewhere but I think his lawyer is crazy to suggest he sees the Patriots signing him. 

Rightly or wrongly, I think it is pretty obvious that none of these teams wanted to deal with the distraction.   He most certainly would have been a distraction.  Even if he didn't make one, the media sure as hell would have.

I can think of no place of employment where a person can protest at work while on the job.  Away from the job during off hours? Sure, but not at the job itself.  Even under those circumstances, depending on the protest a person could lose their job.

I didn't like it when Kaepernick signed a deal with Nike.   I am not a fan of Nike.

• Like 1

Everything is a distraction unless it isn't. It's amazing how they can manage to get on the field every week with everything being such a distraction. That was the point of the lawsuitm

The NFL isn't a place is employment. Employees are contracted. Comparing it to other jobs is a false equivalency. And I can protest at my job, so there's at least one. 

Out of all the protests in the history of sports, this was arguably the most benign. The NFL doesn't have the copyright on patriotism or the definitive model on what it means to be an American citizen despite all the trucks of money they take from the military. 

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Everything is a distraction unless it isn't. It's amazing how they can manage to get on the field every week with everything being such a distraction. That was the point of the lawsuitm

If teams don't want to deal with the distraction they shouldn't have to.  They are under no obligation to sign Kaepernick.

The NFL isn't a place is employment. Employees are contracted. Comparing it to other jobs is a false equivalency.

Again, they are under no obligation to sign Kaepernick.

And I can protest at my job, so there's at least one.  

If you say so.   I would think that most places of employment have a line that can't be crossed, perhaps yours doesn't.

Out of all the protests in the history of sports, this was arguably the most benign. The NFL doesn't have the copyright on patriotism or the definitive model on what it means to be an American citizen despite all the trucks of money they take from the military. 

It is their business, they can run it as they see fit.

If the players want to start from scratch and make their own league, good luck with that.   

Edited by icemiser69

42 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

If teams don't want to deal with the distraction they shouldn't have to.  They are under no obligation to sign Kaepernick.

But they can't collectively decide to keep him out of the league, collusion. And the league must have thought he had at least a chance to prove his case or they wouldn't have settled.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, xaxat said:

But they can't collectively decide to keep him out of the league, collusion. And the league must have thought he had at least a chance to prove his case or they wouldn't have settled.

Teams could also say, "hey, Kap, you made your point. We want to sign you, we'll support your actions off the field. Can you either please not kneel or stay in the locker room?" They can't all get together and say, "let's not sign him so we can get that sweet DOD money" which was *caught on audio*. 

The thing about Kap being a "distraction" is disingenuous at best when you have players who have beat their spouses, obstructed murder investigations, shooting up strip clubs, etc., vs some guy that kneels, that no one even knew he was doing for a couple of weeks. 

I would have liked them to go to court because the NFL needs a stiff shot to the gut. But, it might have been too costly. He definitely wouldn't get a job after that, so maybe the settlement admits negligence on the NFL's part, collusion itself is very hard to prove.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

If you say so.   I would think that most places of employment have a line that can't be crossed, perhaps yours doesn't.

It is their business, they can run it as they see fit.

I agree that NFL owners can run their business as they see fit (to a degree, obviously). Yet iirc, despite a lot of chest-beating and woofing about it, the owners haven't actually instituted any rules prohibiting anthem protests. In fact, they backed off of doing so before the start of this season because they know it would be incredibly unpopular and a terrible look for the league. It's pretty disingenuous to blacklist Kaepernick for anthem protests when the owners have actively chosen not to have any policies against anthem protests.

The thing about Kap being a "distraction" is disingenuous at best when you have players who have beat their spouses, obstructed murder investigations, shooting up strip clubs, etc., vs some guy that kneels, that no one even knew he was doing for a couple of weeks. 

Exactly. Somehow "distractions" don't matter when a player is talented enough and a team wants him. It's like domestic violence. The NFL/owners care OH SO MUCH, REALLY...until it's a player they really like and want to keep around, and then they look the other way and mouth a bunch of platitudes and let the guy who beat a woman keep playing.

• Like 8

Suuuuure, he's a distraction.     But the Tebow circus didn't keep teams from signing him.   

Kareem Hunt is a HUGE distraction for the Browns right now.   They totally did not expect the press conference they got.    Didn't stop them from signing him.

Yes, each team individually can make a decision not to sign him.    But the teams cannot come together and say "Don't sign this guy."

Underwear olympics soon.   We finally get the "real" stats on Kyler Murray.

• Like 2