TheGongOfDoom

NFL Thread

2 hours ago, stealinghome said:

I don’t believe for a second that Gurley isn’t injured. McVay is too smart to pull a Malcolm Butler the year after Belichick probably pissed away the Super Bowl by doing it. I think they just haven’t wanted to admit how banged-up Gurley is.

So Gurley is lying? McVay is still lying? Both of them said before and after the game that Gurley is healthy. So that would be a really crazy coverup. If he's injured just say so and all the questions stop. 

• Like 1

They were trying to use them both, while being careful of Gurley.   He's healthy but not 100%.    Unfortunately when you do running back by committee neither one gets into a game rhythm with the QB.    When the QB is already rattled, that hurts even more.  

• Like 1

But yeah boring game.    I look forward to next season with more Mahomes and Goff.   They will get their chance to shine.   Brady can't play forever.

I'm pretty certain that not only Mahomes & Goff will not be playing in the Super Bowl next season, but neither one of them will even make it to the AFC (Mahomes) & NFC (Goff) Championship Game.

BTW, the Patriots parade is happening today. A dive into the Amazon River would be more fun than watching that crummy parade. Frankly, I think Adam Levine needs to take a dive into the Amazon River for that revolting halftime show. At least, that will of brought some entertainment.

Edited by Magog
  • Like 1

If Gurley wasn't hurt, then they looked like they were worried one shot would knock him out of the game. He didn't play for like 4 weeks. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 10:13 AM, Moose135 said:

You may know that the Patriots have their own airplane used to fly to games.  I got shots of it when they flew into Charlotte to play the Panthers in the preseason.

JM_2018_08_23_N36NE_002-L.jpg

What you may not know is that they used the call sign "Underdog" for their flights...

Patriots better not win any more Super Bowls because they won't be able to fit all the trophies on the tail anymore. #6 will be a tight fit.

• Like 2

All this early talk about Mahomes and the Chiefs’ being the SB favorites, yup that’s what that kid needs now:  the added pressure in his second year after his breakout.

We don’t know *yet* if Mahomes will progress to greater heights, or if this was his best shot at a SB.

The more interesting development I think is if the Chiefs falter how long will Andy Reid be good enough as head coach.

• Like 4

Looks like the OAKLAND Raiders will still be a thing next year. 

Mark Davis is an awful businessman. I hope, as a condition for their "return", Oakland asks for a healthy settlement on their lawsuit.

• Like 5

On 2/5/2019 at 11:11 PM, caracas1914 said:

The more interesting development I think is if the Chiefs falter how long will Andy Reid be good enough as head coach.

And that’s the issue. Andy Reid is a really good coach. But he isn’t quite a great coach. The Eagles had successful seasons under him, got close to the SB many, many times. Got to the SB once but lost. 

The Chiefs have had similar seasons under him. Good regular seasons but underachievement in the playoffs. 

Does Andy have what it takes to get over his personal hump?

I don't know if there's anyone better in the league at offensive X's and O's than Andy Reid.

He's a complete nonfactor in defensive strategy.

There may not be a worse coach in the league in managing the clock and timeouts.

He needs a voice in the coaches' box to remind him about such issues, like Ernie Adams does to Belichick.

• Like 3

On 2/7/2019 at 9:33 AM, topanga said:

And that’s the issue. Andy Reid is a really good coach. But he isn’t quite a great coach. The Eagles had successful seasons under him, got close to the SB many, many times. Got to the SB once but lost. 

I'm one of the few people in Philly who actually liked Reid as a coach so I find myself defending him when people run him down.  I totally agree that he can't clock manage to save his life but he's more than good enough to have multiple championship wins.  No one will ever convince me otherwise that the Eagles loss in SB 39 wasn't a direct result of cheating.  As for his other losses?  The NFC Championship loss against AZ in '09 was squarely on the defense---just like the Chiefs sickening loss to the Pats this year.  But I get it.  The head coach gets the glory and takes the blame.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

No one will ever convince me otherwise that the Eagles loss in SB 39 wasn't a direct result of cheating.

The Eagles loss in the Super Bowl was a direct result of Donovan McNabb being too gassed to run the 2 minute offense.   Also his throwing up on the field didn't help.   Didn't he also set the record for interceptions in a game?

Of course Andy Reid stuck with Donovan McNabb as his QB faaaaaaar longer than he should have.

• Like 4

The AAF isn’t bad so far.  It feels closer to college than pro though, and I miss kicking.

• Like 3

They don’t do kickoffs, just start on the 25 yard line.  They kick field goals but PAT’s are always two point conversion tries.

• Like 1

The televised game reminded of the Super Bowl.  And not in a good way.  Should have gone with the Atlanta and Orlando game.

• Like 1

Yeah there were SO many dropped passes in San Antonio.  If I wanted to see that I would just re-watch a Giants game.

Twitter seemed to be more interested in the Orlando game, too.  Except for the one hit on the San Diego QB when his head fell off.  That clip was everywhere.

Two games today.   Let's see how they do.   I remember watching the original XFL then losing interest.   So it's not just how this weekend does, but how is it doing in a month?

The teams have only been practicing for a month so I can see a lot of errors.   But I guess they told the refs to be stingy with the yellow fflags.   That was one thing I REALLY liked.   It wasn't a laundry fest of penalty flags.

The AAF coverage on CBS got 2.9 million viewers.....not bad..... not NFL numbers but do you expect that?  It did better than the NBA game in the same timeslot.   It now all goes to the sub outlets until the championship.  Pro Football can use a division ll  type league and I kinda like this one.

• Like 1

I had been led to believe the play clock would be 30 seconds..... but I guess they must've bumped it to 35 thinking there'd be too many delay of game calls.  It promoted a quicker pace..... but the Commanders/ Fleet game dragged.  The play was predictably sloppy..... but you expect that early on..... like the NFL preseason.   It'll get better.

One thing it already has in common with the NFL..... the officials got too much face time...... that accounted for a lot of the sluggish pace..... DAMMIT LET THEM PLAY!!

I found this helpful:

Some major rules differences from the NFL include:

♦ No kickoffs or extra point attempts. Teams must attempt two-point conversions. Possessions will start at the 25-yard line. There also are no onside kicks; instead, a team can attempt a play from scrimmage from their own 28-yard line and need to gain at least 12 yards.
♦ No television timeouts.
♦ A 35-second play clock (the NFL employs a 40-second play clock).
♦ Coaches get two challenges; no challenges, however, in final two minutes of each half.
♦ Overtime will be one possession for each team from their opponent's 10-yard line. No field goal attempts can be made

Oh, crap, I see all of the games are on CBS Sports Network and NFL Network. I don't have those, so I guess I won't be a fan. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

16 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I found this helpful:

Some major rules differences from the NFL include:

♦ No kickoffs or extra point attempts. Teams must attempt two-point conversions. Possessions will start at the 25-yard line. There also are no onside kicks; instead, a team can attempt a play from scrimmage from their own 28-yard line and need to gain at least 12 yards.
♦ No television timeouts.
♦ A 35-second play clock (the NFL employs a 40-second play clock).
♦ Coaches get two challenges; no challenges, however, in final two minutes of each half.
♦ Overtime will be one possession for each team from their opponent's 10-yard line. No field goal attempts can be made

Oh, crap, I see all of the games are on CBS Sports Network and NFL Network. I don't have those, so I guess I won't be a fan. 

I believe they're also streaming live on YouTube and on the AAF website, if you're into that sort of thing. Hopefully if they remain popular we'll get some more major network broadcasts.

One more major rule change:

• Teams can only rush 5 defenders max

This was a smart, prescient rule, but the defenses still played significantly better than offenses this first week. Dropped passes abound! Everyone was saying that offenses takes longer to gel than defenses, and that played out exactly as predicted.

I loved all the games. If the AAF can keep the game more fun than the NFL than they'll have a winning product. (Not saying they'll ever compete 1 for 1 with the NFL, that's not the goal.)

In my mind, more fun = faster pace, fewer penalties, fewer injuries, fewer commercials, lots of creative and dynamic play making. Since all players are on the same contract, there's much less drama over super stars and a lot more focus on the game itself.

And the lack of a million commercial breaks is already a HUGE boon!

I noticed the NFL Network broadcast would simply not let go of the "they're trying to get a second chance at the NFL" narrative. I reckon they said "NFL" 10 times as often as they did "AAF." It's fine if some players are there for that reason, but like college ball, I also want to see a good product in and of itself, with players being proud to play THIS game and competing for THIS championship. The first CBS broadcast mentioned it a few times but it wasn't a constant tirade like the NFLN game.

All in all, I was happy with what I saw and I'll be here each week. Haven't decided who to cheer for yet!

• Like 4
  • Useful 2

Of all the teams in all the world, since Dallas has Zeke, I would have bet cash money that Cleveland would be the one to sign Hunt.

Only because I would hold out hope that Washington learned its lesson. 

And on a related note, can we let the Redskins name go now?

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

Of all the teams in all the world, since Dallas has Zeke, I would have bet cash money that Cleveland would be the one to sign Hunt.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Sigh....  

It was a rough day at work - thanks for the laugh. 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

On 2/11/2019 at 5:31 PM, mojoween said:

Other than the whole kicking & shoving that woman, aside, The Browns are probably a bad place for Kareem.  He's from the Cleveland area and it will be harder for him to extricate himself from old people & haunts, which does not bode well for his reformation.

• Like 2

Husband watched the press conference announcing Hunt’s signing.  It did not go well.  It was unbelievable how ill prepared the GM was to answer questions and how unwilling the reporters (well, one female reporter in particular, but the others pretty much let her ask almost all the questions) were to accept his platitudes.  My favorite question was her asking (I am paraphrasing here) if he really thought Hunt would say it was cool that he beat up women.  Not a good day for the Browns.

ETA: I wrote this while tired last night and want to clarify a little today.  The female reporter was awesome; she was not letting the GM get away with any of his vague comments and cliches.  My favorite question cited above came after the GM assured everyone that after talking with Hunt, he knows Hunt feels really bad about what happened. The GM kept repeating that he did “extensive research” before making the decision.  She drilled him on what exactly he did (spoiler alert-not much).  She was my super hero yesterday.

Edited by Crs97
  • Like 1
  • Surprise 1

I was going to say that I am going to be real tired of hearing about Kyler Murray by the draft but ya know what?  I’m already there.

Not his fault, but here I am.

Honestly I wish that TODAY he would put out a video where he is standing on one of those scales like they have in the doctor’s office with the stick that measures height so that particular nugget can be put to bed forever.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I was going to say that I am going to be real tired of hearing about Kyler Murray by the draft but ya know what?  I’m already there.

Not his fault, but here I am.

Honestly I wish that TODAY he would put out a video where he is standing on one of those scales like they have in the doctor’s office with the stick that measures height so that particular nugget can be put to bed forever.

There's always one or two people during the draft season that the sports media latches onto and shakes for all it's worth. None of the other QBs are all that interesting this draft, there don't seem to be any super star RBs or WRs, and while the defensive class is deep, well, I guess they're not as exciting as a 5'10" - no wait, more like 5'9" - no way, could he possibly be only 5'8"? - quarterback prospect.

The only interesting thing about KM to me is that he doesn't seem to have the injury history that most running QBs have. At least, based on my 5 minutes of research into him, I didn't find anything. 

• Like 1

I have to say, it will be interesting to see what Kyler measures at the combine. I know it's not unusual for teams to inflate a player's height and weight, but that dude looks like he's barely 5'9" in cleats. I know QB's like Drew Brees and Russell Wilson have found success despite being undersized, but Murray seems small even in comparison to them.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, ae2 said:

There's always one or two people during the draft season that the sports media latches onto and shakes for all it's worth. None of the other QBs are all that interesting this draft, there don't seem to be any super star RBs or WRs, and while the defensive class is deep, well, I guess they're not as exciting as a 5'10" - no wait, more like 5'9" - no way, could he possibly be only 5'8"? - quarterback prospect.

I disagree.  Dwayne Haskins broke Drew Brees’ College records by miles.  He’s the prototypical NFL QB.  

I like Kyler, but he’s so tiny for a QB.  Not just height, but physique.  I hope he succeeds, tho, he seems like a great kid.

Why is Kyler Murray being covered so much? He's the Heisman winning QB of  a playoff team who is already a millionaire in another sport. And people question his ability to compete in the NFL despite his collegiate success. That's a pretty compelling narrative. (And that doesn't even include the conspiracy theory about him, his agent and Kliff Kingsbury.)

I read the Broncos might be looking  at QB in the upcoming draft. Did the see how he handled sitting on the bench behind Lamar Jackson? This is not a "mentor" guy.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, roamyn said:

I disagree.  Dwayne Haskins broke Drew Brees’ College records by miles.  He’s the prototypical NFL QB.  

Right, I'm not saying Haskins is a bad QB. I don't watch nearly enough college football for that. I'm just saying he's not very interesting to the media. He's a pocket passer (unless for some reason you listen to Stephen A. Smith), he doesn't have historic football ties, he hasn't been hyped for years as the next Elway (Luck), he wasn't a college sensation (Tebow, Manziel), he hasn't been embroiled in controversy (Winston), and there's not even a looming question over which QB will get picked #1 and which #2 like there is many years (Mayfield vs Goff, Winston vs Mariota, Luck vs RGIII, etc.)

Even watching his highlight reel - it's mostly him throwing from a clean pocket, or to open receivers.

As a Giants fan, I wouldn't hate taking him at #6. (Although I think there are better options and greater needs.)

Then again, the Giants thrive on boring, uncontroversial pocket passers.

@xaxat  you’re reading too much into Flacco not talking to Lamar on the bench.  Flacco is the epitome of classs.  He went to Lamar at the end of the Ravens/Chargers game and offered him some advice & positive thoughts.  He’s given interviews stating that he knew this season was the beginn8ng of the end of his time w/the Ravens and he has been all abt the team most of his career.

Flacco strikes me as a quiet guy who doesn’t normally talk to guys on the sidelines.   (I’m no Flacco-as-QB fan, either, but he is a good person)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

I’m not feeling the Elway/Denver trading for Flacco.   His post Super Bowl career has been underwhelming to say the least.

Flacco’s or Elway’s?

• Like 3
  • Laugh 8

Kyler should be a second round pick, imo. But he'll go first round to the Dolphins. 

The Flacco trade makes zero sense for Denver. There's no way he's their franchise QB and they're still on the hook for 10M of Keenum's salary when they cut him.

7 hours ago, Court said:

Kyler should be a second round pick, imo. But he'll go first round to the Dolphins. 

The Flacco trade makes zero sense for Denver. There's no way he's their franchise QB and they're still on the hook for 10M of Keenum's salary when they cut him.

Denver needs to stick with Case Keenum and find a future franchise QB.    Elway keeps trading for a QB.  That rarely works long term, unless you get one early in his career who turns out to be really good.   Elway keeps going with FAs who are older and are FAs for a REASON.

21 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Denver needs to stick with Case Keenum and find a future franchise QB.    Elway keeps trading for a QB.  That rarely works long term, unless you get one early in his career who turns out to be really good.   Elway keeps going with FAs who are older and are FAs for a REASON.

Obviously Flacco is no Peyton Manning, but if Elway's strategy is basically to build the rest of the team up, then bring in an aging but once successful QB who is being run out of his home town, to be the final piece of the puzzle and make a run at the Super Bowl... At least that's a unique approach.

Drafting a QB is always a crapshoot, and the cost of getting the 1 or 2 "sure things" at the top of the draft each year is enormous. You either have to be terrible, in which case, the chances of that QB prospect living up to his potential is not good. Or you need to mortgage future drafts to trade up and get the QB, in which case you won't be able to as effectively build around him for a few seasons.

Other than that you can pick a guy in the mid to late rounds and hope to find a Brady or a Wilson. Elway has been taking shots at that by drafting Osweiler and Siemian, and while they didn't pan out, he's certainly not ignoring the position.

I'm not a Broncos fan or a Flacco fan, but I hope he's successful there and wins a SB, because it might upset the status quo for how teams are handling QBs right now, which is something that desperately needs to happen.

• Like 1

Kap is getting PAID.  As Chris Kluwe put it, the NFL most likely settled because there was information they did not want to come out in discovery.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mojoween said:

As Chris Kluwe put it, the NFL most likely settled because there was information they did not want to come out in discovery.

I'm kind of disappointed because I really wanted Dan Snyder have to testify under oath. But I suppose Kaep decided he has to move on with his life at some point. I am glad he turned down an offer from the AAF because all of the upside was for them with none for him. Surprised they contacted him because there is no way ex USFL owner, friend of the new XFL founder Vince McMahon, Donald Trump wouldn't have tried to destroy them.

(Eric Reid also settled. I wonder if that means he won't get drug tested every week next year.)

• Like 1