Jump to content
Null 302

Homicide Hunter: Lt. Joe Kenda

Recommended Posts

I am not terribly worried about it. If the moderators want to move it, they can. In which case, it would be a good idea to put all of the episode posts there instead of scattered around like they are. I am not sure who "we" is, though.

Share this post


Link to post

Joe mentioned in the arson case that he still has nightmares every night because of what he's seen and what he's done.  I wonder what kind of support is available for retired police officers who clearly have some component of PTSD on a long-term scale.  Or whether Joe would ever accept that kind of support.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

That would have been a great question. I should have thought of it. He did say that talking about his cases is a help, but that he does not sleep well. He also said it took him 2 years to become a nicer person after retiring. His wife noticed it one day and brought it to his attention that he was back to the guy she used to know. The scene in City of Fear where he comes home covered in blood and scares the shit out of Kathy happened quite a few times. He said his dry cleaner hated him and he had a friend who sold suits and Joe would go at the end of each season and get a great deal on the suits that did not sell. He would buy a dozen at a time, knowing he would trash most of them. He said that is the reason Homicide cops wear cheap suits

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Didn't know where to put this, but Kenda flew out to LA and did a Nerdist podcast. Chris Hardwick and his fiancee are huge fans of the show. The interview is almost 2 hrs long. Show got renewed for a 6th season and 20 eps. The end has some bonus Kenda marriage advice to Chris and Lydia.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
turnitwayup, on 27 Jan 2016 - 9:55 PM, said:

Didn't know where to put this, but Kenda flew out to LA and did a Nerdist podcast. Chris Hardwick and his fiancee are huge fans of the show. The interview is almost 2 hrs long. Show got renewed for a 6th season and 20 eps. The end has some bonus Kenda marriage advice to Chris and Lydia.

 

 

Makes me like Hardwick and Kenda just that much more.  Thank you, turnitwayup, for giving me something to listen to with my morning cup of coffee (served in my JOE KENDA MUG!).  :-)

Share this post


Link to post

Didn't know where to put this, but Kenda flew out to LA and did a Nerdist podcast. Chris Hardwick and his fiancee are huge fans of the show. The interview is almost 2 hrs long. Show got renewed for a 6th season and 20 eps. The end has some bonus Kenda marriage advice to Chris and Lydia.

Chris's Homicide Hunter love is the reason I knew about the show and checked it out. I'D doesn't show enough reruns....grr.

But the interview is very good and addresses the PTSD question in depth. He did go to a psychiatrist who ended up disturbed by the hour so he didn't go back. Someone (maybe a retired cop or soldier) told him that the images never go away which was actually helpful for him because he knew what to expect. Also helpful is the show.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Best quote I have heard is, "Jerry is a jerk, but being an asshole is not against the law. If it were, we'd have to erect a fence around the state of Colorado and inform everyone they're in custody."  

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

While visiting the apartment of a suspect " he was a typical 23 year old, everything he has worn in the last three years is laying on the floor"

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Just watched the Hank Waller episode, and it really bugged me that the show made up so much. It was especially bad that they acted like Bob was ever a suspect, dragging him through the mud. According to news reports, Hank had a will in his hand and a letter to his pastor. The cops were either sloppy as hell, or the writers and Kenda are full of shit. 

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1987/Four-Dead-in-Murder-Suicide-In-Colorado-Springs/id-f4e4bc42ab3cf9451397bb5a16f6c311

Anyway, after reading up on Waller, I have very little sympathy for him. He really was a religious zealot who slaughtered an entire family over divorce--in 1987?!

I also ran across genealogy records that Bob maintains for Lucinda. It indicates that there is a living child from their marriage. The show doesn't mention the other child at all. 

Share this post


Link to post

I'm kind of new to the series.  This Kenda guy is so full of himself and pretty arrogant.  I love it. "I'm not a friendly person."  You say??? Totally hooked and laughing myself out of the door each episode. I know I should hate him, but he's too funny to. And I betcha that he perfectly knows it. Bastard. ;-)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/9/2016 at 5:39 AM, Myriad said:

 I know I should hate him, but he's too funny to.

I don't understand this.  Hate him?  Why?  Pretty much everyone who watches the show, AFAIK, absolutely loves Joe, and that's why the series continues.  Because he was apparently extremely good at his job, and now brings realism and insight, with a touch of black humor, to the presentation of his cases.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I find him amusing, but I do think he's kind of an asshole, too. I certainly wouldn't question anyone who felt that, that's for sure, regardless of how most people might feel. I tend not to like cops, and I have found some of his statements obnoxious. And after researching the Waller case, I don't trust the way the show depicts things, either. I am wondering how much of this is made up for TV, and he would have to be complicit in that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/5/2016 at 4:09 PM, azshadowwalker said:

Just watched the Hank Waller episode, and it really bugged me that the show made up so much. It was especially bad that they acted like Bob was ever a suspect, dragging him through the mud. According to news reports, Hank had a will in his hand and a letter to his pastor. The cops were either sloppy as hell, or the writers and Kenda are full of shit. 

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1987/Four-Dead-in-Murder-Suicide-In-Colorado-Springs/id-f4e4bc42ab3cf9451397bb5a16f6c311

Anyway, after reading up on Waller, I have very little sympathy for him. He really was a religious zealot who slaughtered an entire family over divorce--in 1987?!

I also ran across genealogy records that Bob maintains for Lucinda. It indicates that there is a living child from their marriage. The show doesn't mention the other child at all. 

The article you cited clearly states that the child who was killed was the Wallers' "only grandchild." 

I  haven't seen this episode for awhile. I wouldn't be surprised if the writers dragged out the investigative process to make an episode of it. I've seen this done on other crime shows too and it can be irritating. Of course, when the detectives first arrive on the scene they aren't going to know everything, and a lot of questions and possibilities are (we hope) going to occur to them as they begin investigating. Where I get irritated with these shows is when they pad out, and drag out, one of those possible scenarios, one of those "what ifs," and it turns out that IRL it was eliminated very quickly. I can't remember if the show disclosed that the killer had a note in his hand; if not, it should have. 

Basically I'm a big fan of this show. Not every episode is created equal, of course.

I didn't have much "sympathy" for Waller either, but IMO even if he was some kind of "religious zealot," he would have been highly unlikely to commit mass murder and suicide but for the effects of brain damage from his stroke. There are lots of religious nutjobs living among us who don't slaughter their families. (BTW I hate religious nutjobs. Just saying.)

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

"Sometimes stories, true stories are bizarre because you assume a certain level of intelligence.  Harvey has been mercifully spared of the ravages of intelligence."

LOL!  Love Kenda!

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

From one of the current season's episodes: "He thinks by calling himself Playboy, he can attract girls.    Well, all right then.  How is that working out for you?"

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

I liked the stories early on, but I agree that they are running out of interesting things to show and are now just milking the popularity. My feelings about him are mixed. I like his delivery, but I have a problem with some of his moral proclamations and agree that he is very impressed with himself. 

I also think they naturally used the most interesting cases first, and are scratching hard to find material for the latest seasons' shows.

OTOH, I really like Kenda anyway.

BTW, @azshadowwalker, I know you very much disliked how they dramatized that horrible murder-suicide case, which we discussed above. Are there any other cases shown on the show, besides that one, where you have issues with how they were portrayed?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/2/2017 at 4:46 PM, meowmommy said:

Clearly they have run out of material, and it's time to retire this show gracefully and find another venue for the venerable Lt.

 

2 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I work a lot so there are many episodes I haven't seen. But for those that have seen them all, I completely understand

Kenda has stated "nearly 400 homicides" (384 solved), so I think there is more material there to use.  The producers simply need to keep sifting through the case files. I strongly suspect that there is enough for another season.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 7:21 PM, Stratego said:

Kenda has stated "nearly 400 homicides" (384 solved), so I think there is more material there to use.  

But some of those may be ones where the killer was caught in the act, or soon after.
They most recent one I watched was a serial rapist, and it was more interesting than some of the recent ones had been.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/6/2017 at 8:33 PM, Jeeves said:

 

BTW, @azshadowwalker, I know you very much disliked how they dramatized that horrible murder-suicide case, which we discussed above. Are there any other cases shown on the show, besides that one, where you have issues with how they were portrayed?

Sorry, I have not been in this forum for a long time. Here's the thing, unless you research every case, it's difficult to know if they are being careless with the facts. I just recently started reading up on cases of various shows, so I didn't bother with the earlier Kenda episodes. Hank Waller was the first one I actually researched. Since then, I haven't watched the show much, if at all. This is not a matter of a real estate show, where they fudge the fact that people aren't really looking for a house to buy. This is murder, with an innocent person who is being dragged into a case that was extremely cut and dried. I can't really support someone who would be a party to that, so I quit watching the show. It's quite possible that this happens in all of these shows. Researching the contemporary news reports is the only way to know for sure. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I know some of the true crime shows have caveats with say circumstances and timelines and names may have been changed.
I was just watching one that sounded like they'd changed a lot of things, but can't remember which one it was.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

If anyone watched this today, can you please tell me who shot the couple inside their living room.  Their large family was living in one house and were at home.  I missed it at the point he was going to interview the family members.  Who did it?  The couple were Hispanic, had a large and loving family, and had been married for over 30 years!  Very sad. 

Share this post


Link to post

Is there a new season on now? I know this doesn't address your question SunnyBeBe but it will make me very happy to know there is a whole bunch of new episodes to watch!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Is there a new season on now? I know this doesn't address your question SunnyBeBe but it will make me very happy to know there is a whole bunch of new episodes to watch!

I'm not sure what is new or old, since, I've only seen a little of this show.  Yesterday, they were running them back to back.  The one that I described above was the first one that I have seen.  I watched a portion, but, got distracted and missed the rest.  I'm really curious as to who did it.  I don't have enough details to google it.  Oh well.....I'll have to wait and see if it's repeated later on. 

Share this post


Link to post

Kind of off topic but I'm going to ask anyway. Is there a separate thread (anywhere) for all of the I.D. channel shows? I know there are many shows on that network but darn, I'm so addicted. Lol! Maybe I need to look for a I.D. channel addiction therapy group!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/24/2017 at 6:38 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

If anyone watched this today, can you please tell me who shot the couple inside their living room.  Their large family was living in one house and were at home.  I missed it at the point he was going to interview the family members.  Who did it?  The couple were Hispanic, had a large and loving family, and had been married for over 30 years!  Very sad. 

If it's the one I'm thinking of, the killer was the estranged husband of one of the daughters. She had recently moved back to CO from TX with her young children, including an infant. Very sad story.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Here you go. 

We had an ID thread, but they decided that a network files couldn't be used.

Edited by auntjess

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, auntjess said:

Here you go. 

We had an ID thread, but they decided that a network files couldn't be used.

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, the killer was the estranged husband of one of the daughters. She had recently moved back to CO from TX with her young children, including an infant. Very sad story.

Thanks for the info.  That is terrible.  There seems to be so many cases of murder in which there is a violent, jealous and hostile husband/boyfriend who is responsible.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/25/2017 at 8:00 PM, auntjess said:

Here you go. 

We had an ID thread, but they decided that a network files couldn't be used.

What does this mean? I mean, what files and why do you need them to have a thread on ID Discovery/Investigation?

Share this post


Link to post

It means we used to discuss all the ID shows on the ID thread/forum/whatever, but they decided that it was only for talk about the network, not its shows, so we moved the discussing to the file linked above.

Share this post


Link to post

They can't even be bothered to stage the cases in the late 80s/early 90s where they belong; all the cars, clothes, hair, etc. in the reenactments are current.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×