Jump to content
Bastet

Continuity Errors: Starts With the House Layout and Just Gets Worse

Recommended Posts

On 16/01/2019 at 8:46 AM, Snow Apple said:

She managed to have a wild time with Pablo Picasso before settling down? Even though she met Sal at 17.

I'm sure there are other stories I'm forgetting. I guess we can pretend most of them are her colorful tall tales.

I just love Dorothy's response to the Picasso story: I think you're lying, (Rose to Dorothy: be positive!) so Dorothy says, OK, I'm positive you're lying! 

And the Charles de Gaulle / the Mole cracks me up too. 

Sophia had definitely been around the block a number of times before marrying Sal. Or she's just a liar... 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I'm a little unsure of the timing and seasons to when Aunt Angela and Uncle Angelo come into the picture, as in who came first, etc, but since they each had an episode concerning them trying to find a place to live in Miami, why wasn't it suggested that they live together at least temporarily?  Or was Angelo, Sal's brother?  Was it ever said what Uncle Angelo's career was since he really wasn't a priest?  

Share this post


Link to post

Angelo is Sophia's brother. Angela was first, and at the time claimed to be Sophia's only living sibling. Suddenly she vanished and was replaced by Angelo, again Sophia's only sibling. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, MoistestCake said:

Angelo is Sophia's brother. Angela was first, and at the time claimed to be Sophia's only living sibling. Suddenly she vanished and was replaced by Angelo, again Sophia's only sibling. 

OMG maybe Angela had a sex change and became Angelo! LMAO

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

And Angelo said he had been married for 72 years so he should have been in his 90’s, but obviously wasn’t.

I know, right? I'm glad Angelo's appearances were infrequent because he annoyed me.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I know, right? I'm glad Angelo's appearances were infrequent because he annoyed me.

There was just something super annoying about his Eyetailian accent that was like nails on a chalkboard for me.  

At least there was a bit of continuity with him.  The trashy apartment, Sophia going to him during a hurricane, Blanche seeking his advice when Sophia ran away, etc.  With Angela, aside from her first appearance coming for Sophia's Birthday and then later when she just showed up and they convinced her to move to Miami and she ended shacking up with Sophia's boyfriend, she basically dropped off the face of the earth.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/25/2019 at 9:31 AM, Mabinogia said:

OMG maybe Angela had a sex change and became Angelo! LMAO

Or maybe they were just fraternal twins: Angela and Angelo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 27/01/2019 at 2:46 AM, legaleagle53 said:

Or maybe they were just fraternal twins: Angela and Angelo.

But that doesn't explain her being the only 1 left, but a sex change does. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, MoistestCake said:

But that doesn't explain her being the only 1 left, but a sex change does. 

Maybe she just changed her mind and decided she liked it better back in Sicily with the goat after all. Besides, a sex change would have been a big deal -- they'd have done a special episode about it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I thought Nancy Walker's cancer diagnosis forced the writers to 86 Angela and bring on Angelo.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I thought Nancy Walker's cancer diagnosis forced the writers to 86 Angela and bring on Angelo.

Exactly right. It was another stupid plot change that they thought the viewers   wouldn’t notice or care about.  But they could have just not featured  Angela and not  brought in Angelo. I never cared for any episodes he was in. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Nancy's cancer is an acceptable reason, but why invent an *annoying* Angelo instead? Either just don't mention Angela again or explain she moved back in with her goat in Sicily, or find another actress, like there were 2 Glorias. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe not continuity, but time related: We're watching the episode in which Rose is Blanche's vigenfrügen because she lost her earnings and Dorothy submits her student's story which wins 1st prize and he gets deported. On the same day that Rose offers to be a vigenfrügen for a full week, Dorothy submits the story. During the same week, because the vigenfrügen is still going on, Mario's story is judged and wins, and the INS come looking for him. Surely submitting a story, waiting for the panel to judge the stories, declare a winner and waiting for the INS to do their thing would take a lot more than a few days... 

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/10/2019 at 3:54 PM, Bastet said:

Except, the story then was that she said she was dating the quarterback, but actually bought her own corsage and spent the night hiding in the basement dancing with a rake and giving herself hickeys with the vacuum cleaner.

But since that was part of Blanche's dream, it doesn't count. 

There's also an episode where we learn Stan and Dorothy went to the Senior Prom together. 

 

On 1/17/2019 at 10:06 AM, mythoughtis said:

What was the color of dress that Blanche wore on the very first episode? The one when she almost married the con artist.  

Pale yellow.

Share this post


Link to post

In the episode when they are reminiscing about birthday parties (Mr Haha's Hacienda, Rose tells dead Charlie she's leaving St Olaf, and Sophia is 50 and not 48) the girls know Blanche's birthday date from the time shortly after they live together, coz they throw her a party which upsets her till she sees how many men were invited. But I'm sure later in their lives together they desperately try to find out her birthday and find her birth certificate was redacted by the authority of the governor. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/4/2019 at 5:01 PM, MoistestCake said:

In the episode when they are reminiscing about birthday parties (Mr Haha's Hacienda, Rose tells dead Charlie she's leaving St Olaf, and Sophia is 50 and not 48) the girls know Blanche's birthday date from the time shortly after they live together, coz they throw her a party which upsets her till she sees how many men were invited. But I'm sure later in their lives together they desperately try to find out her birthday and find her birth certificate was redacted by the authority of the governor. 

I've always assumed that when they threw that party, they knew the month and day of Blanche's birth, but not the year. That's the information she really went out of her way to hide!

I had a professor in law school who reminded me so much of Blanche it was ridiculous. She was from Atlanta, and obsessed with being a proper southern belle - but also said inappropriately sexual things in front of the class. And all you needed to be in her good graces was to compliment her appearance in some way.

So far as I know, she was the only professor whose profile on the school website didn't mention her year of graduation from undergrad or law school! We'd always joke that it was deleted by the authority of the governor.

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

I’m watching Beauty and the Beast, which is the episode where Blanche enters her granddaughter into a beauty pageant. Blanche walks into the kitchen with her granddaughter and Blanche is wearing a pink sweater. It has some sort of brown decoration. Except it’s on her neck in a weird way, looking like a giant wart. Then there’s a cut to Dorothy and back to Blanche. It’s now on her sweater. Then another cut and back to Blanche and it’s back on her neck. Another cut and back on her sweater. Blanche is just sitting there and this thing is magically moving from on her neck to on her sweater with each cut. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/6/2019 at 7:22 PM, Blakeston said:

I've always assumed that when they threw that party, they knew the month and day of Blanche's birth, but not the year. That's the information she really went out of her way to hide!

That's a possibility, but there's also an episode where they say something like at this time of year Blanche always behaves strangely, and then they conclude it's her birthday, so they didn't know what time of year it was, let alone the year... 

I'm confused. 

Edited by MoistestCake

Share this post


Link to post

In the Flu Attack episode, the girls spend the entire week in the house together battling the flu and getting on each other’s nerves. Near the end of the week, they drag themselves to one of those many awards dinners where they all expect to win and Blanche pays a waiter to pretend he’s her date. She tells the others she met him in the park last week and they’ve been inseparable ever since. Except she’s been in the house the entire week with the flu and she knows the other girls know that. I’ve always found that to be sloppy writing. It’s as if the writers forgot the whole episode was about the girls being sick and stuck in the house all week when they had Blanche make up that story. 

Edited by Ria

Share this post


Link to post

Also, in the Flu Attack episode, Blanche says that her original date refused to be seen with her because she looked so awful with the flu.  First of all, none of them looked bad at all, I know the hacking and sneezing was supposed to be unattractive, but they all looked gorgeous.   Second, what kind of men is Blanche dating?  I know she really picks some winners, but what a total jerk this one was!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/18/2019 at 6:24 AM, BigBingerBro said:

Also, in the Flu Attack episode, Blanche says that her original date refused to be seen with her because she looked so awful with the flu.  First of all, none of them looked bad at all, I know the hacking and sneezing was supposed to be unattractive, but they all looked gorgeous.   Second, what kind of men is Blanche dating?  I know she really picks some winners, but what a total jerk this one was!

It would have made a lot more sense if the guy had declined because he didn't want to get sick.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

In the episode when they fly to the Bahamas for aunt Gretchen's funeral, Dorothy is nervous and drinks champagne despite not liking it, but in the episode when Al buys a boat to travel round the world with Rose, Dorothy says she loves champagne, so which is it Dot? 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×