OriginalCyn

Figure Skating

Will be interesting to see who Rusfed send to Worlds.

Zhenya just won the Cup of Russia! Oh the drama! 

As much as I would enjoy the celebrity factor of Zhenya and Alina at Worlds I personally think it's better for Zhenya to chill and keep working at it for next season. 

• Like 2

https://www.today.com/video/olympian-gracie-gold-opens-up-about-her-struggles-off-the-ice-1446678595704

Gracie's interview on Today. It's so troubling that she talks about how saying "Oh I ate a tomato today" is so common among figure skaters. Major disordered eating -- wonder if there's any elite skater who hasn't had some disordered eating.

Another profile of Tessa Virtue.

https://thewalrus.ca/the-olympics-are-over-but-tessa-virtue-is-just-getting-started/

Again, she says she didn't even eat a grape withou tthinking "Will this help me win the Olympics." So troubling.

• Like 4

I think that's just her haters stirring the pot. Troubles aside she's medalled almost every event, has great PCS and is the only one who can challenge Rika. I don't see them not sending her. 

I don't know how accurate this translation is from a transcription of a youtube video.  Any Russian speakers?  Is Medvedeva hinting that they should pick Tuktamysheva for Worlds instead of her?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, displayname said:

Rumours indicate that Zagitova might not be on the worlds team.

Unless Zagitova has some kind of injury that we don't know about, she'll be sent to Worlds.  She's now very inconsistent, but her upside potential is extremely high if she can somehow recover that Nebelhorn mojo (I don't think she will) and she has a PCS cushion sufficient to keep her ordinals respectable even if things go badly.

With steady Samodurova there, who I expect will finish somewhere between third and fifth, the Russian team has a very solid base as far as keeping spots goes.

37 minutes ago, Ruby Gillis said:

I don't know how accurate this translation is from a transcription of a youtube video.  Any Russian speakers?  Is Medvedeva hinting that they should pick Tuktamysheva for Worlds instead of her?

That's her being sportsmanlike.  She definitely wants to go to Worlds.

1 hour ago, SeanC said:

Unless Zagitova has some kind of injury that we don't know about, she'll be sent to Worlds.  She's now very inconsistent, but her upside potential is extremely high if she can somehow recover that Nebelhorn mojo (I don't think she will) and she has a PCS cushion sufficient to keep her ordinals respectable even if things go badly.

There are steady rumours, and I believe them from the Russian side. Of course we'll wait.

Zhenya is awesome at interviews. She's so eloquent.

I found some videos of Junliet at his university skate thingy (to get into university). I loves that boy. So adorable and I just love his skating.

14 hours ago, Ruby Gillis said:

Elizaveta Tuktamysheva just hit her triple axel at the Cup of Russia!  I feel so bad she got sick when her season was building such momentum.

If I had to choose the worlds team Liza definitely earned her spot. It should be Alina, Sofia, Liza. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

https://www.today.com/video/olympian-gracie-gold-opens-up-about-her-struggles-off-the-ice-1446678595704

Gracie's interview on Today. It's so troubling that she talks about how saying "Oh I ate a tomato today" is so common among figure skaters. Major disordered eating -- wonder if there's any elite skater who hasn't had some disordered eating.

Another profile of Tessa Virtue.

https://thewalrus.ca/the-olympics-are-over-but-tessa-virtue-is-just-getting-started/

Again, she says she didn't even eat a grape withou tthinking "Will this help me win the Olympics." So troubling.

This is why I will never get behind the hype them up train from USA federation. This includes Alyssa Liu. My heart breaks for Gracie. She was hyped up as the next Michelle Kwan and will save USA ladies skating. Even as a junior. I'm so happy she is getting help and taking it slow. I hope she finds her passion for skating again. 

• Like 5

Is it me? But Evegenia looks more like q woman than a girl. Her body looks more grown up now and more healthy. 

I also just watched Alina's Olympic programs. My goodness I still can't believe that was a year ago and here we are a year later and she is a different skater. 

• Like 2

Seems like things can change in the blink of an eye with skating. I remember thinking Alina was untouchable. She zoomed her way through that crazy Don Quixote program like a boss. Still in my eyes she's made history for that and it will always be one of the most memorable programs for me. 

I wonder how many of her issues  can be attributed to stress, growing up and recognising the expectations on her. The Olympics girl looked like she was just bouncing her way through on ice and anything won was a bonus. Alina these days always looks stressed and harassed. 

I really want to see if Trusova and Co will be competitive by 2022 and dominant or will we see them crash and burn after a few good seasons and 2022 will be won by another girl who peaks at the right time.

Rika is another interesting case since her coach seems really meticulous with her career. 

Elizaveta deserves to go to Worlds based on her results but omg she bores me and looks so slow on ice. I couldn't sit through her program.

It's really subjective isn't it? Give me Bradie any day. Bradie and her twizzles are exciting!

I know Tara isn't popular on here but I watched her Olympics program last night and she had decent tech for those days.  Even a triple loop triple loop.  I actually felt her program wasn't too out of place with the tech these days whereas some of the other programs don't age well on tech. 

Some of the other older programs there was a lot of skating around and posing with their arms. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Elizaveta deserves to go to Worlds based on her results but omg she bores me and looks so slow on ice.

I love the height of her jumps.  

8 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I wonder how many of her issues  can be attributed to stress, growing up and recognising the expectations on her. The Olympics girl looked like she was just bouncing her way through on ice and anything won was a bonus. Alina these days always looks stressed and harassed. 

I think Alina and Zhenya are going through the same thing:  puberty.  They are taller now and have to relearn how to jump.  I think Alina might have some injuries they don't talk about.  She twisted her ankle in December.  If they aren't getting proper nutrition, they aren't going to recover fully.  Alina does have the added pressure of all the girls coming up behind her at her rink.

I heard Kostornaia stopped competing her triple axel because she grew, so at least she's thinking of the future instead of powering through elements for points.  If judging continues the same way, I don't think Trusova or Shcherbakova will be at the next olympics.  They will have hit puberty by then and some younger skaters will be the new thing that season.  This video of another junior Kamila Valieva went semi-viral, and Eteri was quick to say the Picasso-inspired program was her favorite short ever.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Seems like things can change in the blink of an eye with skating. I remember thinking Alina was untouchable. She zoomed her way through that crazy Don Quixote program like a boss. Still in my eyes she's made history for that and it will always be one of the most memorable programs for me. 

I really want to see if Trusova and Co will be competitive by 2022 and dominant or will we see them crash and burn after a few good seasons and 2022 will be won by another girl who peaks at the right time.

Rika is another interesting case since her coach seems really meticulous with her career. 

Elizaveta deserves to go to Worlds based on her results but omg she bores me and looks so slow on ice. I couldn't sit through her program.

It's really subjective isn't it? Give me Bradie any day. Bradie and her twizzles are exciting!

I know Tara isn't popular on here but I watched her Olympics program last night and she had decent tech for those days.  Even a triple loop triple loop.  I actually felt her program wasn't too out of place with the tech these days whereas some of the other programs don't age well on tech. 

Some of the other older programs there was a lot of skating around and posing with their arms. 

Eteri doesn't like puberty. On top of that not eating and jumping like crazy jumping beans breaks the body down. There's a reason why her boy skaters dont do well too. Eteri pushes her skaters over the max while the Japanese tend to take it slow and focus on technique and detail. I mean look at the way the Japanese skaters can control the blade and their technique vs the Russian or American skaters. Rika is learning quads the proper and right way in my opinion. She is taking it slow. She is building up strength. Eteri pushes quads and her skaters have poor technique and she selects the  most skinniest shortest girls and delays puberty to the max. I will never forget what she said about her one skater being too tall at 5'7 a few seasons ago. She tells her skaters not to eat and these girls are skating 8 hours a day. I don't understand how their bodies especially growing bodies handle that. 

I didn't expect Alina to go downhill so fast. I think she is also injured. Maybe a stress fracture. She peaked at just the right time for the Olympics. I get bashed for saying this but I don't see any of the soon to be Eteri seniors (maybe  just Alena) at the Olympics. By 2022 Eteri will have two 15 year olds and I'm sure one of them will be doing  quads. Her soon to be seniors will almost be 18 and 19 years old. In Eteri years that's old. I think Anna will be the first not to skate. Maybe one good year in seniors. She hardly leaves the ice anyway  then maybe Trusova. I suspect they'll push Trusova harder than Anna because Russia wants to win and she has quads. I think around 16 is when the injuries really start to set in and Eteri's technique fails. She tries to delay puberty as much as she can. Evegenia's body began to fail around 16/17. Yulia's body began to fail at 16 too. Alina at 16. Both right after the Olympics. I hate making predictions but this goes for Alyssa Liu too. I suspect she will go out just like Eteri skaters and have a skating career like Tara's. One year in seniors before she retires due to hip injuries or the pressure by USA federation. 

Liza's programa are so empty for me but I'm happy to see a grown woman on the podium in Russia. She definitely deserves her spot and I wish Russia Federation would stop messing around. 

Honestly, I'm still upset Michelle didn't win. I will never forget Tara screaming when she won. That's history. 

Edited by Darknight
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, Ruby Gillis said:

I love the height of her jumps.  

I think Alina and Zhenya are going through the same thing:  puberty.  They are taller now and have to relearn how to jump.  I think Alina might have some injuries they don't talk about.  She twisted her ankle in December.  If they aren't getting proper nutrition, they aren't going to recover fully.  Alina does have the added pressure of all the girls coming up behind her at her rink.

I heard Kostornaia stopped competing her triple axel because she grew, so at least she's thinking of the future instead of powering through elements for points.  If judging continues the same way, I don't think Trusova or Shcherbakova will be at the next olympics.  They will have hit puberty by then and some younger skaters will be the new thing that season.  This video of another junior Kamila Valieva went semi-viral, and Eteri was quick to say the Picasso-inspired program was her favorite short ever.

I love Kamila's program. She is a beautiful skater. I'm hoping Eteri does well with her. I love her costume too. It sucks I can't get attached to her because in 3-4 years she'll be gone for another new skater. 

Eteri also has a 10 year old skater who is also good. I didn't want to believe she has a factory of skaters but she does. My goodness it's like one after the other. 

10 minutes ago, Darknight said:

Japanese tend to take it slow and focus on technique and detail. I mean look at the way the Japanese skaters can control the blade and their technique vs the Russian or American skaters. Rika is learning quads the proper and right way in my opinion. She is taking it slow. She is building up strength.

I'm hoping the judges tire of the Eteri style and start favoring the Japanese.  I blame the Sochi Olympics.  They felt the pressure to inflate the scores and we're still feeling the effects.  Honestly, I prefer Tuktamysheva's empty programs over the clutter of Eteri programs.  Alina's Don Quixote program could have been one of the all-time bests if she had the time to hold more of the elements.  That great knee slide went by so fast that the audience had no time to react.

I'm interested to see if the Chinese skaters get tons of money and have competitive singles skaters in Beijing.  

Edited by Ruby Gillis
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ruby Gillis said:

I'm interested to see if the Chinese skaters get tons of money and have competitive singles skaters in Beijing.  

They've already begun to.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, displayname said:

They've already begun to.

I see South Korea having skaters too. At this rate China and South Korea will catch up more than America. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ruby Gillis said:

I'm hoping the judges tire of the Eteri style and start favoring the Japanese.  I blame the Sochi Olympics.  They felt the pressure to inflate the scores and we're still feeling the effects.  Honestly, I prefer Tuktamysheva's empty programs over the clutter of Eteri programs.  Alina's Don Quixote program could have been one of the all-time bests if she had the time to hold more of the elements.  That great knee slide went by so fast that the audience had no time to react.

I'm still not over Sochi. The whole thing was a mess and again I was turned off by the Olympics and skating. Eteri has beautiful skaters but awful programs. I think the huge thing is she only creates programs to win and get as many points as possible. Some of her programs are recycled.  Alina's program is a hot mess this year and she deserves better. Danii and his music cuts. I would take of points for that. I do wish skaters would hold elements longer. It's impressive but with lacking technique how will they hold elements? 

China is already sending skaters to America and abroad. South Korea has skaters too. At this rate, I see China and South Korea catching up before we Americans do. 

• Like 1

Maybe it's time for some american skaters to move/train to Japan?

It's nice to see Gracie talking on tv.  If she wants to go to/medal at a world championships, I hope she does.  Listening to her, it seems like even at Socchi she was very unhappy.  I wonder if she ever liked her music, or if other people chose them for her.  Poor Gracie.  But if Mirai (lately of the Poor Mirai) can do it, then I suspect that Gracie can too.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

Maybe it's time for some american skaters to move/train to Japan?

I wonder if American skaters would be welcome. Chris Reed is accepted there *but* he has a Japanese partner (& is Japanese-American himself). The coaches there seem to train their skaters very well. What's their secret? Maybe they make them skate figures for the first 5 years!  But gee, did we have so much underrotating back in the day? Just guessing here. I'm no expert.