SilverStormm

F Is For Family

From last October, the initial reporting on the show:

http://www.avclub.com/article/netflix-orders-bill-burr-animated-series-f-family-210826

By Katie Rife@futureschlock  Oct 22, 2014 12:52 PM

Having recently made its first foray into adult animation with a series about a cartoon horse stuck in the ‘90s, the streaming service has ordered a new animated series about a cartoon family stuck in the ‘70s. Called F Is For Family, the show will be a “family comedy” based on the standup of Bill Burr, which totally works if you come from the kind of family prone to complaining about political correctness run amok (as many of us do).

F Is For Family will—as previously mentioned—take place in the ‘70s, “a time when you could smack your kid, smoke inside and bring a gun to the airport.” Burr will voice the Murphy family patriarch, with Laura Dern as his presumably long-suffering wife and Justin Long as his oldest son. Burr and Simpsons writer Michael Price will executive produce alongside Vince Vaughn, who calls Burr “the funniest, most original voice out there.” Plot details are not yet available, but shouting, Irish jokes, and at least one self-referential Breaking Bad gag are probable.

I watched the first episode and I wont be watching any more. I guess if you like Bill Burr then listening to him shout might be for you but I just have no interest in this. I didn't laugh and I was quite bored.

• Like 1

I am not sure about this. I was bored so I watched the pilot. It can see what the show is trying to do but I don't find any of the character interesting enough to continue much further. It's slow season so I will give the show another episode to impress me before I call it quits.

<---Update:

I have now watched most of the show and it does not get any better. It was only five episodes I thought I would see it through but honestly the show held nothing for me. I can see someone growing up in that era like the teenage boy who would be an adult now kinda liking it because....ha! Other then that it was too....something and not...something enough.

Pass.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Like 1

I enjoyed parts of it. I don't know if the short season helped or hurt the series. I hope it gets a second season because I get the premise but I think it needs another season to really get its legs. I didn't grow up in the 70s. I wasn't even a thought in either of my parents minds but overall I liked it.

I used to listen to comedy radio 1060 in Calgary on long drives. Bill burr almost made me hit the ditch one time I laughed so hard. He was talking about how far people hang around the Cheesecake Factory staring through the glass, thinking of new ways to get fat. "Hey there's cookies in this one!"

I liked the first episode of F is for Family. I belly laughed when the older brother punched his younger brother after saving his ass from the bullies. I briefly reflected on my versions of similar events growing up. I like that this show is uncensored, relatable, and crass. I will continue watching to see if it stays this good!

I love this show.  I love how they are fleshing out Laura Dern’s character and the true love that is subtly shown between her and Bill Burr.  (Can’t remember the characters’ names because I am caught in fibro fog.). I think the show is compelling.