SilverStormm

Narcos

I didn't know this season was going to be Kiki Camarena's story. I've already seen a biopic about him but it was so long ago that I'm hoping the show will seem fresh.

I binge watched the whole season and loved it. It's probably the second best season of the show IMO. The DEA agents were more bland but loved the narco characters. It was also refreshing after season three to have less graphic violence.  Nothing will beat the backdrop of Colombia though.

• Like 3

On 11/17/2018 at 7:37 PM, pivot said:

I binge watched the whole season and loved it. It's probably the second best season of the show IMO. The DEA agents were more bland but loved the narco characters. It was also refreshing after season three to have less graphic violence.  Nothing will beat the backdrop of Colombia though.

I feel bad that I find the narco characters to be infinitely more compelling than the DEA characters. I want the DEA characters to win and always want them to be safe from violence, but when it comes to the actual story I'm more interested in what's going on with the drug lords and their button men. Kiki was a great character though and I liked seeing what a strong and loving dynamic he had with his wife. It was hard to watch scenes with the two of them knowing what would happen. It was also nice to see how close the DEA families were who were stationed in Mexico. They made sure to be there for each other and be supportive. Lots of parties and laughter. They really seemed like a big family.

Miguel Angel was a smart guy but he got greedy the way all of this show's top drug dealers do. I'm kind of inclined to agree with him though that if he hadn't chosen to expand into cocaine, somebody else from one of the plazas eventually would have. Still I don't know why he had to rush it. They were making ridiculously excellent money with the weed with minimal complications. Neto was right that Miguel should have been content the way that Neto and Rafa were. Miguel was always looking for the next best thing.

I was surprised when Miguel broke up with his wife. I honestly didn't see that coming. Somehow I expected more from him. It was so cold the way he told her that hd didn't need her anymore. Also, the way he continually fucked over the lady who made the introductions for him. She was patient, she repeatedly helped him negotiate, she asks for a piece and he lies to her and eventually gets angry enough with her to manhandle her without ever thinking for a moment how he would feel if he were in her position.

Rafa was an idiot. He was loyal to Miguel but he was ultimately a liability and he shoulders a big part of the blame for what happened with Kiki. His romance with Sofia was so crazy. Both characters need to have their heads examined. If you have to stage a kidnapping in order to be together IDK maybe consider seeing other people? Lol and how Tony Montana is his style icon? This guy has all of the maturity of a fifteen year old boy. I'm glad that he got to see with his own eyes how quickly Sofia turned on him in order to save herself.

I will say that anyone who was concerned that this series somehow glamourizes drugs and drug dealers has absolutely nothing to worry about. There are basically only two endings for guys who get into this business and reach the top levels. Death or prison. Sometimes there's a period of life on the run but life on the run ends either with the runner being killed or taken off to jail. 

As for the drug use, this is about as appealing as the drug use in Requiem for a Dream. It's awful, awful stuff and seeing Rafa's moment of clarity was very well done. When he watches one of his guys repeatedly snorting obscene amounts of cocaine up his nose, it's finally obvious to him how sick and dangerous it is. You wonder how they don't OD. When he's trying to quit and he goes through all of this panic and pain, I was so disappointed when one of his guys decided to give him a snort so that he'd feel better. It seemed like he was so close to making it to the light at the end of the tunnel.

I did find it interesting that Rafa was so anti getting into cocaine distribution when he's such a coke head. Did we ever see him smoke weed at all? It sort of reminded me how we wouldn't see Pablo doing blow. We'd just see him smoking weed. Maybe it comes back to that 'don't get high on your own supply' rule.

Don Neto was my favorite character in this group of bad guys. Funny, loyal, intelligent but also recognizes his own limitations. His grief over his son--nice work by the actor. He doesn't even really try to get away when he goes to the beach house. He could have had a life on the run (or at least attempted it) but he seemed to accept that his course was run and that jail or death were the only options. He didn't panic or make a desperate last move, he just accepted it. Consider the way some of the characters in previous seasons who have been in his position have acted and it makes him seem fairly dignified in comparison.

I enjoyed this season and hope that we get another one. If they're going to do bunch of sub series, this show could go all over the world and to multiple time periods.

• Like 4

I waited until I finished the season to comment because I didn't want to be spoiled but then I caved halfway through the season and googled Kiki. Once i read what happened to him i remembered him being mentioned in season one of Narcos.

I liked seeing the different management style of Felix. I can't stand all the violent Narcos with zero impulse control like Rafa. The guys who are always posturing and doing stupid stuff seem like spoiled children. I kind of wanted Felix to succeed and keep everything controlled so that the violence would be minimized but I guess you're only as strong as your weakest link. I felt for him trying to keep everyone in line but by the end he showed himself to be no better than the rest. He was ice cold, had no loyalty and used violence as a tool. I really wanted him to fall but at the same time I know that a power struggle within the cartel means more violence.

I how this gets decent viewership. I've had discussions with people about recreational drug use. People who argue that they're not harming anyone and sure if you grow your own stuff that might be true. If you are buying illegal drugs from criminal gangs then you are contributing to violence that has killed many thousands of people. Everyone who creates a market for the cartels should realise that they are complicit in the violence.

• Like 5

I finally finished Season 3 because I wanted to start Narcos Mexico, and I have to say I'm really glad I caught up.

I agree with others who have said the first episode is hard to get into, but by the second or third, the show really got me hooked again.

Although I like Pedro Pascal's Latino Burt Reynolds charisma... I must say this show was dominated by the villains.  Matias Verela was terrific as Jorge Salcedo, the Michael Corleone type who never wanted to be in the business... and actually meant it.  Francisco Denis, was a revelation for me, as the paranoid Miguel... and Pepe Rapazote was extremely convincing as the loose cannon Chepe.  I really hope all three of them get some work from this gig  (I see Denis has a role in Jack Ryan, which I haven't seen yet.)

Riveting stuff from the second episode on... felt like a ten hour version of Good Fellas... or the Godfather.

Highly recommended.

I just finished watching the season so I could collect all of my thoughts. Just some general observations: 

Watching the corruption of the police and government officials was just appalling. I'd always heard about the corrupt police and officials and how rampant it is in Mexico, but it makes a difference when you see it within the context of the story and how so many were affected. Even Calderoni, who was ready to hunt Felix down and turned down his money, let's Felix go when he realizes the torture tapes could implicate his bosses and put him in danger. You just can't win within that system.

I thought Michael Pena was fine as Kiki although it seemed like he only switched within the two modes of either being pissed or brooding. I guess it makes sense for the circumstances he was in, but he wasn't super compelling. I remember whispering "No" when he called out to Felix on the street and said he wanted him to know his name. Knowing the level of support they had (zero) with the higher-ups, that was just a bad idea. And I felt awful for his poor neighbor who was killed for setting up the wiretap. The poor man was a civilian trying to help his neighbor and this is out he goes out. 

I started getting annoyed with all of Rafa's scenes towards the end. From "kidnapping" Sofia to viciously killing the American tourists, he was a huge liability. His arc was interested in seeing him going from being poor and just caring about his plants to going full-on Scarface. He had more money than he knew what to do with it and cocaine is a hell of a drug, so it shouldn't be surprising that he ended up acting that way. Throw in the poor impulse control and he's one step away from bringing down the whole operation. 

Don Neto was the type to mind his own business and keep his head down, provide advice when needed and understood the game. When Felix sold him out, he accepted it and was basically like "we had a good run". 

Diego Luna was giving a whole look as Felix. His arc was interesting to watch starting out as a negotiator to become all-out ruthless. I had to laugh in the final episode when the heads of the plazas were meeting behind his back and he showed up with his military backing and bossed up out of the helicopter. He was like, "Not on my watch!" However, like so many who can't be satisfied with the status quo, he always wanted to move to the next best thing. His business became his obsession and he was willing to protect that at all costs. 

Finally, it was cool to see the Cali cartel and Pablo again! That was a very cool tie-in to the Colombian series. 

Hopefully, there will be a season 2 to deal with the aftermath of Kiki's murder.

• Like 3

It makes me sad to see so few posts for one of the best television shows out there.

Is it because it's mostly subtitled?  Is it because they opted for more average, realistic looking casting instead of beautiful telenovela types?

If you are lurking here and for some odd reason you haven't watched it, I'd strongly recommend that you do.

My only gripe is perhaps the casting of Rafa.  The actor worked for the early, humble character who only cared about his weed but lacked the charisma to seduce the beautiful Sofia in my mind.  He was so stupid and repulsive by the end of the series that you couldn't buy any woman wanting to deal with his mess.

Also maybe they could have done better than Michael Pena... he didn't bother me but he didn't inspire the empathy that Alyssa Diaz did as his wife Mika.

The star of the show is Diego Luna who comes close to pulling off a Pacino quality performance as Felix Gallardo, the mastermind behind the first cartel.  It perhaps lacks the power of Pacino's Michael, but I think that is because they chose to keep his personal life somewhat of mystery... alluding to numerous affairs and mystery women coming out of his hotel room, but never quite revealing the man beyond his business dealings.

I try to keep in mind that these are real people of course, so although there is poetic license, it doesn't have the same latitude that a show like the Godfather or the Sopranos might have.

Looking forward to season 2... it was set up so that they can tell a lot more story if the ratings hold up.

• Like 5

I think there are a few reasons there aren't many people commenting on this thread. Narcos is the kind of show where you do have to give it your full focus, in part because of the subtitles and partly because it is a quality show that deserves to be watched properly. I'd like to think people will catch up with it over the holiday season when they have more time.

I don't think having a season thread instead of episode threads helps. If there are episode threads and I have something to say about a particular episode i will comment. If there is a season thread I will avoid it until I have completed the season and by then I might have forgotten particular things that I wanted to say or they might seem less important in the larger context of the show.

I'm not sure if the reset might have put some people off but I hope not. I liked Pedro Pascal, Wagner Moira and the Columbia setting but I enjoy Diego Luna and the Mexican story has a lot to offer.

• Like 5

On 12/4/2018 at 4:47 PM, Sentient Meat said:

It makes me sad to see so few posts for one of the best television shows out there.

Is it because it's mostly subtitled?  Is it because they opted for more average, realistic looking casting instead of beautiful telenovela types?

If you are lurking here and for some odd reason you haven't watched it, I'd strongly recommend that you do.

On 12/6/2018 at 11:51 AM, snowwhyte said:

I don't think having a season thread instead of episode threads helps. If there are episode threads and I have something to say about a particular episode i will comment. If there is a season thread I will avoid it until I have completed the season and by then I might have forgotten particular things that I wanted to say or they might seem less important in the larger context of the show.

I didn't comment while I was watching for that exact reason. When there's only one thread to discuss the whole season, I avoid it because I don't want to be spoiled. Unfortunately that means by the time I finish watching the entire season, I don't remember all the finer points I wanted to talk about and I only remember the big stuff. I think there's plenty to discuss with this show, which I have enjoyed every season.

Normally for Netflix shows that I binge watch like Orange Is the New Black, House of Cards, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, etc. I will post in each episode thread right after I watch the episode while it's still fresh in my mind. Narcos also got released during a time of year that's busy for me so it took me a few weeks to watch this season (as opposed to shows that I was able to watch in one weekend because I had a lot fewer things on my calendar when the season was released) so at this point, I couldn't really tell you what my thought about, say, the first episode were.

I did like S4 though. I wasn't sure how much I would like it due to the show completely changing their focus from the characters we followed in previous seasons (I enjoyed the brief appearances by Pablo and some of the others from the earlier seasons!), to completely new characters but I ended up growing to like a lot of the S4 players.

• Like 2

This isn't specifically about the show Narcos, but Netflix has a new documentary series called Inside the Real Narcos. A former Special Forces commando goes to Mexico, Colombia, and Peru to meet with people who work for the cartels. It's only three episodes so I'm going to give it a try over the holidays. I thought some of you might be interested in watching it too. In the Mexico episode, he talks to someone from the Sinaloa cartel and in the Colombia episode he meets with one of Pablo Escobar's top enforcers and looks at global cocaine smuggling, so it is related to the show Narcos.

I finished it last night and thought it was great.  The reset didn't hurt it at all and I hope this show gets the attention it deserves.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:31 PM, Avaleigh said:

I feel bad that I find the narco characters to be infinitely more compelling than the DEA characters. I want the DEA characters to win and always want them to be safe from violence, but when it comes to the actual story I'm more interested in what's going on with the drug lords and their button men. Kiki was a great character though and I liked seeing what a strong and loving dynamic he had with his wife. It was hard to watch scenes with the two of them knowing what would happen. It was also nice to see how close the DEA families were who were stationed in Mexico. They made sure to be there for each other and be supportive. Lots of parties and laughter. They really seemed like a big family.

Miguel Angel was a smart guy but he got greedy the way all of this show's top drug dealers do. I'm kind of inclined to agree with him though that if he hadn't chosen to expand into cocaine, somebody else from one of the plazas eventually would have. Still I don't know why he had to rush it. They were making ridiculously excellent money with the weed with minimal complications. Neto was right that Miguel should have been content the way that Neto and Rafa were. Miguel was always looking for the next best thing.

I was surprised when Miguel broke up with his wife. I honestly didn't see that coming. Somehow I expected more from him. It was so cold the way he told her that hd didn't need her anymore. Also, the way he continually fucked over the lady who made the introductions for him. She was patient, she repeatedly helped him negotiate, she asks for a piece and he lies to her and eventually gets angry enough with her to manhandle her without ever thinking for a moment how he would feel if he were in her position.

Rafa was an idiot. He was loyal to Miguel but he was ultimately a liability and he shoulders a big part of the blame for what happened with Kiki. His romance with Sofia was so crazy. Both characters need to have their heads examined. If you have to stage a kidnapping in order to be together IDK maybe consider seeing other people? Lol and how Tony Montana is his style icon? This guy has all of the maturity of a fifteen year old boy. I'm glad that he got to see with his own eyes how quickly Sofia turned on him in order to save herself.

I will say that anyone who was concerned that this series somehow glamourizes drugs and drug dealers has absolutely nothing to worry about. There are basically only two endings for guys who get into this business and reach the top levels. Death or prison. Sometimes there's a period of life on the run but life on the run ends either with the runner being killed or taken off to jail. 

As for the drug use, this is about as appealing as the drug use in Requiem for a Dream. It's awful, awful stuff and seeing Rafa's moment of clarity was very well done. When he watches one of his guys repeatedly snorting obscene amounts of cocaine up his nose, it's finally obvious to him how sick and dangerous it is. You wonder how they don't OD. When he's trying to quit and he goes through all of this panic and pain, I was so disappointed when one of his guys decided to give him a snort so that he'd feel better. It seemed like he was so close to making it to the light at the end of the tunnel.

I did find it interesting that Rafa was so anti getting into cocaine distribution when he's such a coke head. Did we ever see him smoke weed at all? It sort of reminded me how we wouldn't see Pablo doing blow. We'd just see him smoking weed. Maybe it comes back to that 'don't get high on your own supply' rule.

Don Neto was my favorite character in this group of bad guys. Funny, loyal, intelligent but also recognizes his own limitations. His grief over his son--nice work by the actor. He doesn't even really try to get away when he goes to the beach house. He could have had a life on the run (or at least attempted it) but he seemed to accept that his course was run and that jail or death were the only options. He didn't panic or make a desperate last move, he just accepted it. Consider the way some of the characters in previous seasons who have been in his position have acted and it makes him seem fairly dignified in comparison.

I enjoyed this season and hope that we get another one. If they're going to do bunch of sub series, this show could go all over the world and to multiple time periods.

I can't add much more to this brilliant post.  Well done, Avaleigh!

Just finished ep 6.  Same excellent story, casting, photography, music.  I find Narcos Mexico as compelling as Narcos, maybe more so, as I live on the border. It’s fascinating to watch the evolution of this “industry” and what’s happening current day.  Agree that you have to give this 100% attention.

I originally tried multitasking while watching, and quickly found out that wasn’t going to work. Not only due to the subtitles, but also keeping track of plot and characters. I still had to search for episode reviews to answer missing pieces.

Random thoughts.  Rafa’s irrigation story was very interesting – the shot of Rafa’s pot field – how they organized the field workers - early Chapo was cool - Diego Luna looks like the real Miguel – nice surprise Medellin cross over – Pablo and the hippos – Pablo and the 50/50 deal – had to take breaks watching episodes due to my blood pressure rising thanks to OUR government, really, why is DEA down there? seriously, year old aerial surveillance photos – Kiki sure had cajones

Saw this promo while on episode hiatus: VH1 10-episode “Cartel Crew,” produced by Big Fish Entertainment, will take a look at the lives of eight descendants of cartel life living in Miami, Florida as they navigate adulthood and the effects that the legacy has had on their upbringing.

I'd give this a 7 but no higher.

Rafe's "telenovela" took too much time that could have been spent better elsewhere.  I was also left wondering how much they changed or modified what actually happened to suit the script. 

While I liked several of the other actor's performances, my favorite was "Don Neto",  I did not care for the one note performance of Michael Pena. Eight episodes of brooding and only towards the end was his acting different. I also blame the script.

This was not as good as the original Narcos.

Edited by Giselle

I'm curious why the show made the choice to make it seem like Miguel was opposed to the capture and torture of Kiki.  Was he?  Everything I read after watching made it seem like he would have 100% ordered it.  Does anyone with more literacy in the Mexican cartel history know more than I do?