Jump to content
Jaded

General True Crime Shows

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Josette said:

I don't think there is a network of serial killers.

Well, there goes any chance you ever had to become a successful writer for movies or TV.:)

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

It always irritates me when they say serial killer, when it's a spree killer.
The man who killed Versace was a spree killer.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

TV serendipity this morning. I had the TV on The Justice Network channel. The show was at a point where a body had been recovered and the narrator said, "The body was confirmed to be that of Mr. X by dental records." And then, bang, it went straight to commercial, and the next words in a chipper voice were "Need to go to the dentist but don't have dental insurance?" or words to that effect. Definitely almost the first word was "dentist" or "dental." I noticed it because I'd stepped into the next room for a minute and was just listening, vs. watching. So I didn't see the dissolve to commercial, just heard them say ID'd by dental records almost immediately followed by a different voice chirping about dental stuff. That was a jolt until I figured out it had cut to a commercial, lol.

  • Like 10
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Jeeves said:

TV serendipity this morning. I had the TV on The Justice Network channel. The show was at a point where a body had been recovered and the narrator said, "The body was confirmed to be that of Mr. X by dental records." And then, bang, it went straight to commercial, and the next words in a chipper voice were "Need to go to the dentist but don't have dental insurance?" or words to that effect. Definitely almost the first word was "dentist" or "dental." I noticed it because I'd stepped into the next room for a minute and was just listening, vs. watching. So I didn't see the dissolve to commercial, just heard them say ID'd by dental records almost immediately followed by a different voice chirping about dental stuff. That was a jolt until I figured out it had cut to a commercial, lol.

I can’t wven tell you how hard I laughed at this. I am sick. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I'm sorry for what she went through but that lady on People Magazine Investigates was annoying as all get out.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Jordan61 said:

I'm sorry for what she went through but that lady on People Magazine Investigates was annoying as all get out.

She told her story on I Survived... calmly.  Not sure why she was more emotional this time.  Maybe it's because Urdiales recently committed suicide.  That might have allowed her to release some emotions she was holding back.  Maybe it's just relief. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Did anyone watch Deadly Secrets this weekend? The boyfriend faked an email from the woman's son in law that made it seem that he was after her money (the son in law). It bugged me because I think the daughter and son in law could have taken it to a computer expert and they could have pretty easily figured it out that it was actually sent from the mother's IP address where the boyfriend was living with her!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Watching "American Nightmare" at the moment and heard these two stunning insights regarding a woman being stabbed to death:

"I believed whoever had stabbed her was very angry."

and

"She died in a way nobody wants to die."

Thanks for clearing that up for us, guys. 

  • Like 19
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Watching "American Nightmare" at the moment and heard these two stunning insights regarding a woman being stabbed to death:

"I believed whoever had stabbed her was very angry."

and

"She died in a way nobody wants to die."

Thanks for clearing that up for us, guys. 

Watched the same show and got a great chuckle out of their term "Gentlemens' Club".  Because that is an elegant warm library den looking place where gentlemen retire to discuss matters over brandy & cigars.  What they were actually referring to was The Lumberyard - a pedestrian strip joint.  ;-)

  • Like 9
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/6/2019 at 9:40 PM, auntjess said:

image.thumb.png.6c02f8d59d7e4d6818dbc0b3c809ea5f.png

There was a show on last night about a serial killer who targeted gay men, dismembered them, put them in plastic bags and left them on roadways, etc.  Very serendipitous meme!

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I was watching American Nightmare, or American something, and it was a murder of grandmother named Shirley, and she had 12 children, and one of her sons had found her in her house, and his 8-year-old son was with him. 
This was years later, and son was grown, and damn, he was mainly turned the other way, but I swear he had a teardrop tattoo.
And no, it wasn't for grandma.

  • Like 4
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

I looked through "P" shows, I looked through the genre shows, can't find a specific place, so I'm going to put it here. I know there was a thread on TWOP for all the Police Women of ____ shows, I used to watch it years ago on OWN, then OWN was moved up to a higher tier on Directv and I refused to pay for the higher tier, but now I have Philo streaming and I watch this show again occasionally, it's all reruns, I guess they only made one season of each of the areas. One thing I've noticed this time, is they find the same officers in each city/county, sassy young blonde, sassy young African American, older/jaded detective. But some of them have stuck in my mind over the years. It's interesting to watch the Phoenix ones where they were filmed during Sheriff Joe's years and how thoughts have changed or not changed during those years. Not trying to make it a political statement, I got more convoluted trying not to make it a political statement. I think Cincinnati was my favorite of all the cities. I'm watching Memphis tonight and I swear they just had 2 scenes with the same police car racing around the same corner, stock footage. I hope all of the women are safe whether or not they are still working their beats.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Hometown Homicide premiers Feb 26th

Deadly Recall premiers March 5th

ID, slow your roll!  No need to make a new series every week (especially when some murders are on more than one show).   My dvr is going to explode at some point!

Edited by Tdoc72
  • Like 5
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

Hometown Homicide premiers Feb 26th

Deadly Recall premiers March 5th

ID, slow your roll!  No need to make a new series every week (especially when some murders are on more than one show).   My dvr is going to explode at some point!

And still no airdate for A Crime to Remember. I hope it will be back. I love that show.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

I have Britbox and I've become obsessed with the show, 24 Hours in Police Custody. It's really an interesting look at how UK policing works.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

Hometown Homicide premiers Feb 26th

Deadly Recall premiers March 5th

ID, slow your roll!  No need to make a new series every week (especially when some murders are on more than one show).   My dvr is going to explode at some point!

Yes, but most of them seem to be 10 episodes or less. I was going through my list of DVR shows to tape and there were any number of "disappeared" mini series shows I'd forgotten about because they were so short lived.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 11:14 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I think people like that should be charged too.  In fact, there are charges available, like providing your children for sexual purposes or exposing them to a substantial likelihood of danger.  

Yeah, the pig like  Mamma June comes to mind.......

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 11:02 PM, azshadowwalker said:

just don't really trust cops, and have seen too many false confessions or cops hounding innocent people for years. Don't talk to them alone. Not ever. 

Brendan Dassey comes to mind...

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:56 AM, walnutqueen said:

Y'all know he had "sex" with his corpses, amirite, Zac Efron?

And made up some of their faces with the  heads he kept in his fridge, before he disposed them.  Yeah, I need to get out more....

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Just discovered a new-to-me show on Oxygen, called In Ice Cold Blood, hosted by Ice-T.  Season 2 starts Feb. 25th, but the Season 1 episodes are available for replay.  In the first episode I watched (season 1, episode 1), one of the talking heads was Matt Murphy, the Senior Deputy District Attorney of Orange County, who seems to be on every true crime show.  That's OK, Matt is welcome to do a (hands-on) investigation of me any time he wants!!  Or am I the only one crushing on the DA?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, One Tough Cookie said:

Yeah, the pig like  Mamma June comes to mind.......

Right, and some other tv moms who prosecutors should examine:  Teen Mom moms, Don't Be Tardy For the Party parents, 90 Day Fiance parents and others.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 1:44 PM, auntjess said:

I don't watch that show usually, but was this the Sandy Hook killer?  I think that was his back story.

Kip Kinkel perhaps?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 10:49 AM, badhaggis said:

And still no airdate for A Crime to Remember. I hope it will be back. I love that show.

I love this show and while I hope it comes back, last season was rather weak for me.  IMO, it seems like they want to cover crimes closer to present day time.  I enjoyed this show due to it covering older stories.  Also, after reading up on the real life events, things presented on the show and what occurred in reality sometimes don't mesh.  Still, I would like to see its return.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:56 AM, walnutqueen said:

Apparently, Ted Bundy is being resurrected.

Y'all know he had "sex" with his corpses, amirite, Zac Efron? 

Wait. What?

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 9:24 AM, One Tough Cookie said:

And made up some of their faces with the  heads he kept in his fridge, before he disposed them.  Yeah, I need to get out more....

WTH?  I didn't know this about Ted Bundy.  However, I must admit when books about him first came out, I was too afraid to read them and never did.  So all I know of Bundy was he picked up unsuspecting women and murdered them.  But having sex with their corpses and making up their faces!!!!  Never heard that.  Damn.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Wait. What?

WTH?  I didn't know this about Ted Bundy.  However, I must admit when books about him first came out, I was too afraid to read them and never did.  So all I know of Bundy was he picked up unsuspecting women and murdered them.  But having sex with their corpses and making up their faces!!!!  Never heard that.  Damn.

I've studied Ted Bundy extensively, read everything about him.  His entire purpose in the murders was to kill them, then have sex with them, and then cut off their heads and have sex with those.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

I've studied Ted Bundy extensively, read everything about him.  His entire purpose in the murders was to kill them, then have sex with them, and then cut off their heads and have sex with those.

OMG!  

Thinking back, the reason Ted Bundy was too scary was because I heard about him when I was much younger.  Simply couldn't handle it.  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Kip Kinkel perhaps?

If it's the one that took place in Seattle, the kid was Ian Stawicki.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Anyone ever catch True Conviction on ID?  I like it. The host is a former prosecutor.  She's smart and personable.  I think she does a good job. This morning it featured a guy who killed his own mother and also for some unknown reason, a dearly loved grandmother and daughter, who were just babysitting two grandchildren in their home. (He was from Wisconsin.  Mother/daughter murder in FL within days of his mother's murder.)  Totally random murders. Guy pulls into the drive of an out of way house, opens fire, goes into the house, shoots them more, kills them and then stabs them multiple times in the neck!  Thank goodness he didn't harm the children.  Not sure he knew they were present.  Anyway.....so a horrible thing. Glad he was finally caught.  I still don't understand what drew this man to this community and to their secluded house.  Seemingly no rhyme or reason to it.  He didn't know them or have any connection to them at all.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I've studied Ted Bundy extensively, read everything about him.  His entire purpose in the murders was to kill them, then have sex with them, and then cut off their heads and have sex with those.

You know, most crimes, I can at least understand the motive to some degree, the reasoning.

I do not care how many times and how many ways people try to explain somebody doing something like this. I don't think I'll ever understand how the hell somebody can even think to do something THAT incredibly fucked up. I imagine even the people who investigate those kinds of crimes for a living still don't totally understand it. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/10/2019 at 11:33 PM, ratgirlagogo said:

Wot????? pls xpln.

10 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Wait. What?

WTH?  I didn't know this about Ted Bundy.  However, I must admit when books about him first came out, I was too afraid to read them and never did.  So all I know of Bundy was he picked up unsuspecting women and murdered them.  But having sex with their corpses and making up their faces!!!!  Never heard that.  Damn.

By "resurrected", I meant that there's a new Ted Bundy movie coming to Netflix, starring Zac Efron.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I've studied Ted Bundy extensively, read everything about him.  His entire purpose in the murders was to kill them, then have sex with them, and then cut off their heads and have sex with those.

That's interesting. I followed his story in the news back in the day (I'm old and I live in Colorado where over on the Western Slope, he escaped from jail *after* having escaped once from custody in Aspen and being recaptured).

How did the Chi Omega murders in Florida fit into his purpose, though? Didn't he sort of rampage through the place committing murder and mayhem, vs. his more usual abduction scenario? Just curious what you think about that. I've always thought it was probably that he was spinning out of control or maybe had planned one of his abductions that went wrong, so that was some kind of plan B. 

ETA: Oh gosh, I just learned that tonight (February 15), there's a new episode ofABC News' 20/20 all about Ted Bundy. I've set the DVR. I found this timeline of his crimes on the ABC website.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/6/2019 at 7:40 PM, auntjess said:

image.thumb.png.6c02f8d59d7e4d6818dbc0b3c809ea5f.png

Along this same vein, I can't be the only one who thinks "serial killer" when someone tells me their kid is still a bedwetter at like 10.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Jordan61 said:

Along this same vein, I can't be the only one who thinks "serial killer" when someone tells me their kid is still a bedwetter at like 10.

Could also be a medical condition.  Spina bifida can cause this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

That's interesting. I followed his story in the news back in the day (I'm old and I live in Colorado where over on the Western Slope, he escaped from jail *after* having escaped once from custody in Aspen and being recaptured).

How did the Chi Omega murders in Florida fit into his purpose, though? Didn't he sort of rampage through the place committing murder and mayhem, vs. his more usual abduction scenario? Just curious what you think about that. I've always thought it was probably that he was spinning out of control or maybe had planned one of his abductions that went wrong, so that was some kind of plan B. 

ETA: Oh gosh, I just learned that tonight (February 15), there's a new episode ofABC News' 20/20 all about Ted Bundy. I've set the DVR. I found this timeline of his crimes on the ABC website.

I think that Bundy, as you said, was panicked and spinning out of control.  He wanted to get a whole bunch more pleasure in a very short span of time.  I'm watching the 20/20 episode right now, and there are several things I didn't know.  I'll have to do some more reading! :)

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Whenever a murder is covered on the ID Channel and they mention A&B had the perfect marriage, C was the perfect child, D was the best friend ever, I immediately know chances are great A or B murdered the other, C murdered one or both parents, and D murdered or betrayed their best friend.  Do better and come up with not so obvious narration, ID!

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Jeeves said:

That's interesting. I followed his story in the news back in the day (I'm old and I live in Colorado where over on the Western Slope, he escaped from jail *after* having escaped once from custody in Aspen and being recaptured).

How did the Chi Omega murders in Florida fit into his purpose, though? Didn't he sort of rampage through the place committing murder and mayhem, vs. his more usual abduction scenario? Just curious what you think about that. I've always thought it was probably that he was spinning out of control or maybe had planned one of his abductions that went wrong, so that was some kind of plan B. 

ETA: Oh gosh, I just learned that tonight (February 15), there's a new episode ofABC News' 20/20 all about Ted Bundy. I've set the DVR. I found this timeline of his crimes on the ABC website.

I caught part of that 20/20 on Bundy.  It was pretty good and I learned some new things, which is wild, because, I thought that I had read everything on the man since he was discovered. So, I almost didn't watch it. I didn't like the way they put his big eyes on the screen. Too much sensationalism and romanticizing him, imo.  Super interesting to see survivors!  At one time, I read that Bundy went to FL to murder because he really did want to get the death penalty.  He knew that chances are he would get it there....and he did. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I caught part of that 20/20 on Bundy.  It was pretty good and I learned some new things, which is wild, because, I thought that I had read everything on the man since he was discovered. So, I almost didn't watch it. I didn't like the way they put his big eyes on the screen. Too much sensationalism and romanticizing him, imo.  Super interesting to see survivors!  At one time, I read that Bundy went to FL to murder because he really did want to get the death penalty.  He knew that chances are he would get it there....and he did. 

I thought I read everything about him, too.  I also didn't like the way they were portraying him as handsome, etc.  He was a vicious monster!

I didn't know there were that many survivors;  happy to see that!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I had always seen photos of the Bundy victims, but not video.  I was impressed with the coverage, but, plastering his face with the big eyes on the screen was just BIZARRE and of poor taste, imo. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/15/2019 at 12:10 PM, Brattinella said:

I've studied Ted Bundy extensively, read everything about him.  His entire purpose in the murders was to kill them, then have sex with them, and then cut off their heads and have sex with those.

Didn’t he also go back to some of the dead bodies and have sex with them?  Like not freshly dead but days old dead?  (I didn’t watch 20/20 yet.)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Investigation Discovery nitpick:

So I taped a special Valentine’s Day murder show called Missing Valentine. It was about a 2001 missing N.J. mom Patricia Viola. Some googling showed me that in 2002 her foot was found on a riverbank however it wasn’t identified by DNA until 2012 and they still don’t know what happened to her. I also found out that this show was just an re-packaged episode of Disappeared. But they didn’t even update it. Not even a black screen at the end. Ugh! 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

The shows with no updates are terrible.  If they are going to run older repeats, they need to do better with that. 

I just saw they have a new series coming on ID of the Paula Zahn shows.  I just cannot stand the cadence in her voice.  I"m not sure why, but, there's just something about the tone and rhythm of her moderating/interviewing that gets on my nerves. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Tdoc72 said:

Investigation Discovery nitpick:

So I taped a special Valentine’s Day murder show called Missing Valentine. It was about a 2001 missing N.J. mom Patricia Viola. Some googling showed me that in 2002 her foot was found on a riverbank however it wasn’t identified by DNA until 2012 and they still don’t know what happened to her. I also found out that this show was just an re-packaged episode of Disappeared. But they didn’t even update it. Not even a black screen at the end. Ugh! 

IMO that's not a "nitpick," it's an important and informed critique of cheap-*ss lazy programming. Thanks for sharing it. I really hate that nonsense, and appreciate it when it's pointed out.

Years ago Cold Case Files did an episode about the conviction of Timothy Masters for the murder of Peggy Hettrick in Ft. Collins, Colorado. When Masters was later exonerated and released after serving ten years, the producers withdrew the episode from further viewing which is good, but apparently it's still available on DVD, which IMO is wrong. (Of course they can't recall DVDs but they could fix it before putting any more on the market.)

I have to say the Timothy Masters case lessened my enthusiasm for true crime/forensic shows, and I'm more skeptical about the forensics they report. I also wonder how many tainted Oklahoma forensic evidence cases were reported on some of these series before the scandal broke, and how many corrections/withdrawals were ever done.

That said, now and then I queue up old Forensic Files episodes on Netflix at bedtime, with the TV sleep timer on and the volume low, because I like falling asleep to Peter Thomas's voice. But I often wonder if there were any exonerations or reversed convictions in the cases reported on that series.

  • Like 8
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

have to say the Timothy Masters case lessened my enthusiasm for true crime/forensic shows, and I'm more skeptical about the forensics they report.

Oh my!  This is worth a forum of it's own because I feel the same way, not only about the forensics, but people who were jailed and later found innocent because law enforcement felt they didn't respond properly when told someone had died.  Examples I remember off the top of my head from watching true crime:  

Nancy Grace who was foaming at the mouth, ready to send Runaway Bride Jennifer Wilbanks fiancé to the gas chamber.

The Angie Samota case.  For years law enforcement and that friend were positive Russell Buchanan had murdered her.  Thankfully for him, his parents stepped in and hired an attorney or else he would still be in jail today and the case closed.

Names forgotten but back during Court TV days, a woman was found drowned next to her houseboat.  The husband hadn't reported her missing and when questioned he told police his wife was an alcoholic who disappeared at times so he wasn't worry.  Law enforcement was skeptical and her family/friends insisted the woman didn't drink.  It wasn't until an autopsy revealed a sky high blood alcohol count,  injuries consistent with a fall,  discovery of a secret apartment with a stash of booze, that friends admitted the husband was telling the truth and woman did indeed have a serious drinking problem. 

The poor widow on some ID show who, when informed her missing husband (? I'm fuzzy on this) was found dead, kept acting nonchalant while the husband's relatives fell apart.  Police immediately thought she was involved because she wasn't acting the way they felt she should have.  When the real murderer was found, and the widow was innocent, she explained on the show she can gone into shock and felt if she just kept acting normal, what the police said wasn't true.  

So, yes I still watch true crime, these situations remind me what law enforcement feels in their gut can be 100% wrong.  

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×