cinsays

Chit-Chat

14 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm interested in an air fryer. I don't want to pay a lot (e.g., over $75).  Would like to air fry chicken, potatoes, onion rings....so they get crunchy & golden. Is this possible at $75 or under?

Whatever you decide to do, don't rule out Kohl's (when they have their typical sale + % off + Kohl's Cash) sale (and if you scout the internet you usually get a better deal ordering online) or Bed Bath and Beyond with their 20% off coupons.

I saved some $$$ bu skipping Amazon and ordering from BB&B

• Like 3

14 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I'm interested in an air fryer. I don't want to pay a lot (e.g., over $75).  Would like to air fry chicken, potatoes, onion rings....so they get crunchy & golden. Is this possible at $75 or under?

7 hours ago, auntlada said:

I don't know, @annzeepark914, but you might ask in the Indespensable Kitchen Gadgets topic in Food. Several people had a discussion about them earlier. Some were interested in them, and some have them.

You can also try the Shopping Channel Shows topics (Misc. TV Talk/Genre Talk) as posters often compare their air fryers with those sold on the various shopping channels.

• Like 2

Apparently, there's some sort of sporting event on today? I'll be watching episodes of Murdoch Mysteries and the last bit of A Series of Unfortunate Events after I clear out the DVR. And now that I can almost breathe again--this is the worst cold I've had in years--try to make up some of the sleep deficit of the last 5 days. You know what happiness is? Happiness is finding 2 unopened boxes of kleenex in the closet.

I just did my taxes and my return will not quite cover the new laptop I bought last month. On the other hand, I didn't owe more to the state than I'll get back from the federal government. So, yay?

• Like 5

Apparently, there's some sort of sporting event on today? I'll be watching episodes of Murdoch Mysteries and the last bit of A Series of Unfortunate Events after I clear out the DVR. 

My DVR is almost full (and I have some other movies/shows set to record later today and in the next few days), so I plan to watch some movies.  No football for me today! 

• Like 3

Meanwhile, I am having my usual Bloody Mary while calculating what time I need to prep what ingredients so I have my food ready to take to my parents' house for the Super Bowl.  It's just the three of us, because none of us will host/attend a Super Bowl "party" -- too many people who just want to eat and watch the commercials, talking through the game.  My best friend is the only other person I'll watch any championship or rivalry game with.  Anyway, even though it's just us, we still make a variety of snacks, because the only thing better than watching football with a cat on your lap is chowing down on snack food all day (and, yep, even the cats get a few nibbles on this special day).

Now, if this damn rain would confine itself to the overnight hours and quit holding me hostage during the day, I'd be perfectly content.  Alas, I just take a look at news of the weather in other parts of the country, and get over myself.  Some of those conditions are mind-blowing!

Go Rams!

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Anyway, even though it's just us, we still make a variety of snacks

That's us, four people and way too much food. I asked everyone to name one snack food each, so we won't have it leftover for days. My sister and mom each really wanted a couple of things, so I gave up my pick. I asked my dad and he said the new deep-fried Oreos from Sonic. Not what I was going for, but I'll go get one order and we'll split it. Mom won't eat more than a nibble because of the sugar. I did the shopping yesterday but didn't find a couple of requested items, so this morning I had to venture to HEB. Bleh, so many people. At least I had a very short list.

It's good I don't care for football since I'll be in the kitchen all afternoon. Once I pass out the snacks, I'll head to the back of the house and pop in my tape of last weekend's NHL All-Star game that I never got around to watching. But yes, Go Rams! -- Bryce Hager is a local boy and went to my college, plus, "Anyone But Brady."

• Like 2

I made coleslaw with a vinegar dressing, Chex mix is cooling (with pretzel and cheddars Goldfish, honey roasted peanuts,and extra worchestershire sauce), brownies are in the oven, and up next are dry rub ribs to roast in the oven for 3 hours. Later I’ll make macaroni and cheese and cheddar garlic biscuits. I’ll watch all of the game, minus the halftime show. Go Pats!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, forumfish said:

That's us, four people and way too much food.  I asked everyone to name one snack food each, so we won't have it leftover for days.

We make quite a number of different things, but take care to only make a reasonable amount of each to avoid, as you said, leftovers for days.  It's easy to get carried away!

I'm all set other than chopping up veggies for the crudité.  I got the shrimp into the fridge a little later than I'd planned, but they should still be properly chilled come game time.  I made the sauce last night, and my cat had the misfortune of walking into the kitchen just as I'd finished grating the horseradish.  Her eyes got a little big and watery (sure sign of a good cocktail sauce!) but she plowed through to get to her food bowl and the air had cleared by the time she passed back through.

• Like 2

Does your cat get any of the shrimp? Several years ago we fostered an abandoned neighborhood cat. One night, Mom had shrimp cocktail and gave a little of the boiled shrimp (sans sauce, of course) to the cat. He was very happy!

We try not to go overboard with the snacks, one year I tried to halve the sausage-cheese ball recipe, thinking I'd just use the rest of the sausage for breakfast, but I ended up making a second batch a couple of days later. After all, sausage-cheese balls are good any time of day, heated, cold straight from the fridge, you name it.

ETA: Well, that was irritating. Yesterday when I bought the sausage for the cheese balls, it was slightly frozen, but I figured it would have plenty of time to thaw in the fridge. When I took it out to use a half hour ago, I discovered it had split open during thawing. I made a mad dash to Walmart for a replacement, and I'll take the bad one back tomorrow. Grrr.

Edited by forumfish · Reason: New information!
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, forumfish said:

Does your cat get any of the shrimp?

Oh, yes.  All three cats (between the two households) eat different things for their regular diet, but none of them have fish in them.  So a little bit of seafood when we're having some is a favorite treat.

I got a migraine in the second half.  The Rams offense was enough to make anyone ill, but I was highly unamused.  Thankfully, it was mild (the easiest one I've ever had, and the first one I've had in a couple of years, I think - mine are increasingly rare), because it turned out there was no Excedrin at my parents' house.  (I used to keep a small stash of my Rx med there back when I needed that, and then a few Excedrin on hand when those were generally enough, but I apparently didn't replace them when I took the last one.)  So I just suffered until I got home.  And, like I said, all the symptoms - pain, nausea, sensitivity to light and sound - were mild, but not exactly what you want when watching a football game.  I wound up with leftovers after all, since I couldn't eat during the second half.

• Like 2

Saturday in the late afternoon, the guys doing some work for my neighbor came by to see if I wanted the leafs cleared from my roof & gutters for $80.  I gave it a pass because my son can reach most of the areas on the first floor with a ladder.  He tried to negotiate with me by coming down on the price but I still passed.  I always feel funny trying to negotiate because I hate to lowball someone who is doing manual labor.

Today they were back to mulch her planter beds, but asked me again when I pulled in from errands.  I still said “No thank you” , but this time they said we’ll do it today since we are here for $40.  

Since it included clearing out the gutters on the second floor, I said yes.

• Like 2

My mom is seeking some easy to use (my requirement) photo organization software.

She saw some advertisement for this "photo stick" on Facebook that supposedly finds all the photos on your PC and organizes them for you. I think I finally hammered into her head to NEVER buy anything from Facebook (and Amazon reviews for what this thing sounds like are abysmal) but she's convinced there is miracle software for this.

Now, for the life of me I have no idea why she has the bajillion photos she does and why they aren't all just in her photo folder but apparently they are saved all over her PC.

Any suggestions? Is there built in functionality to Windows 10 I am unaware of?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

My mom is seeking some easy to use (my requirement) photo organization software.

She saw some advertisement for this "photo stick" on Facebook that supposedly finds all the photos on your PC and organizes them for you. I think I finally hammered into her head to NEVER buy anything from Facebook (and Amazon reviews for what this thing sounds like are abysmal) but she's convinced there is miracle software for this.

Now, for the life of me I have no idea why she has the bajillion photos she does and why they aren't all just in her photo folder but apparently they are saved all over her PC.

Any suggestions? Is there built in functionality to Windows 10 I am unaware of?

She could try this:

https://www.mjbpix.com/automatically-move-photos-to-directories-or-folders-based-on-exif-date/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Thanks for that. Do you have personal experience with it? I should have clarified I'm looking for suggestions from experience.

That software looks way too complicated for her and I have a feeling I'm going to end up spending one of my vacation days doing this for her the next time I go home.

• Like 1

I’m sorry if off topic, but I’ve been. On vacation. 

@Zola Happy Birthday wherever you are. You are not forgotten. 

• Like 5

I've got two kids learning to drive right now.  Apparently, there just isn't the same urgency for kids to get their license - at least not in these parts - since several of my daughter's friends don't have theirs either.

I'd been waiting for my daughter to ask to take driver's ed or to go get her permit, but she never did.  She's a senior and just turned 18 in December.  I finally told her to find out the schedule for the next driver's ed program at her school and told her I was enrolling her.  It is on campus but after school.

So the kids' car to use is going to be my old Volvo station wagon so that is what they use when getting in practice.  I had a dead car battery in the back that I was going to take back to where I bought it since it died about 6 months after I got it, but found it makes an ideal learning to drive accessory since it slides around on the cargo liner if you accelerate too fast, brake or turn too hard so they get an auditory cue.  It is heavy enough so that it does not move if things happen smoothly.

I'm hoping the kids got their dad's spatial and parking skills.  He was a terror to drive with (or share the road with), but he had outstanding skills in those areas.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I've got two kids learning to drive right now.  Apparently, there just isn't the same urgency for kids to get their license - at least not in these parts - since several of my daughter's friends don't have theirs either.

I'd been waiting for my daughter to ask to take driver's ed or to go get her permit, but she never did.  She's a senior and just turned 18 in December.  I finally told her to find out the schedule for the next driver's ed program at her school and told her I was enrolling her.  It is on campus but after school.

So the kids' car to use is going to be my old Volvo station wagon so that is what they use when getting in practice.  I had a dead car battery in the back that I was going to take back to where I bought it since it died about 6 months after I got it, but found it makes an ideal learning to drive accessory since it slides around on the cargo liner if you accelerate too fast, brake or turn too hard so they get an auditory cue.  It is heavy enough so that it does not move if things happen smoothly.

I'm hoping the kids got their dad's spatial and parking skills.  He was a terror to drive with (or share the road with), but he had outstanding skills in those areas.

I took driver's ed as soon as I was able.  The semester after I turned 15 and then I did the driving part over the summer (still 15 for whatever that's worth).  And I still didn't get my license until a week before my 21st birthday.  The actual driving instructor wasn't too bad, but both my parents made me nervous wrecks in the car.  My dad would yell, so I asked my mom to take me out.  She would grip the handle on her door every time I had to turn. I swear I could not have been that bad. OK, I probably was.  I asked my grandfather to take me out. He actually was very calm and everything, but he only took me out the once.  Then, my grandmother offered to take me, but I knew that wouldn't end well, so I turned her down.  And then I just kind of gave up until the summer before my senior year in college and realized I was going to be SOL after graduation with no license.  So, I sucked it up and tried to not let the yelling and flinching get to me and took the test at the end of summer--and failed.  I came home for Thanksgiving pretty much just to take the test again and passed by the skin of my teeth.  If you see me driving around now, probably best to just get out of the road.

• Like 3
  • Laugh 4

I learned the basics of how to drive when I was about 14, out in farm country visiting relatives.  We got Driver's Ed through school, but were on our own for Driver's Training.  So I got the required hours (which were not many!) through some company, but it was really my parents who taught me how to drive -- once I had that permit in hand, any time I was going somewhere with one or both of them, I drove.  So by the time I took my test, which was on the morning of my 16th birthday, I had a good deal of behind-the-wheel experience and passed with flying colors.  I was definitely the best driver of my friends, so their parents were relieved when I was the one driving.  I didn't get a car until my senior year, but my mom let me use hers a lot until then, so I was quite mobile.  I loved the independence of being able to drive myself.

Everyone I knew got their license at 16, but I hear quite a few parents of teens 16-18 these days say their kid hasn't been in any hurry to get theirs.  Very different.

• Like 3

My grandson has his permit. Last time I visited I let him drive my car. At first I felt like a control freak and was nervous. Then my mindset changed to: how is he going to get confidence if I don’t act like I have confidence in him? Now his older sister (who could have gotten her license years ago) is completely different. She has no interest in driving. 

There’s no school bus where they live (within 8 miles of the school) so my daughter pays someone to drive them home after school. Next year my grandson will have his full license and will take over. The fights have already begun about my granddaughter refusing to get into the car with her brother driving lol. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

The actual driving instructor wasn't too bad, but both my parents made me nervous wrecks in the car

I had a super hard time with that with my son.  I think I stressed him out so much he didn’t push for additional drive time.  I am much better now and unless it is critically important, I wait to give my feedback when we’re done with the drive.  

I took drivers ed in high school but was 18 before I got my license.  My parents weren’t going to let me use their cars, but my friends either had cars or were allowed to use the family beater on weekends.  Worst case scenario was I would have to pester an older brother to drive me someplace.

I just remembered that I took my driving test in somebody else's car.  I don't remember what happened to my mom's car the day before, but for some reason it suddenly wasn't available.  I didn't want to use my dad's, because it was a stick shift (which I knew how to drive, but didn't want to deal with during my test), and I sure as hell didn't want to reschedule the test; I wanted that license!  My mom's friend down the street had the make & model car as my mom (same year and everything, just different colors), so she let me use hers so everything would be familiar to me.  That was nice of her. 

Some people don't let anyone drive their car, so letting your friend's teenager borrow it could be a big deal (but she knew I'd have my mom and then the DMV instructor with me, so I don't think it was too worrisome for her).  My parents and I borrow cars from each other sometimes and long ago I let my best friend borrow my car frequently because she didn't have one at the time, so I'm not a "no one drives my car but me!" person.  But it's a short list of people I'd loan it to, given vicarious liability.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bastet said:

I didn't want to use my dad's, because it was a stick shift (which I knew how to drive, but didn't want to deal with during my test)

I took driver's ed in high school - I went to a Catholic HS, which didn't have it available, so I took it at another Catholic HS in the diocese. We used some generic Buick sedan (this was around 1977), automatic, power steering and brakes, the usual.  Drove it 15-20 minutes a week in class.  The rest of my practice was in my Dad's 1969 Plymouth sedan (considered a mid-size back then) with a slant-6 and three-on-the-tree and no power anything.  I took my test drive in that about a month after turning 17 - the minimum age you could get your license in NYS if you took a driver's ed class.  When I turned 18 and started college, Dad got another car and I ended up with that Plymouth beast, drove it all through college, and wish I still had it today!

Edited by Moose135
  • Like 2

@Moose135, we must be about the same age. My public high school in late-'70s WNY ran a drivers' ed course that my mother made me take because it lowered the insurance premium.

Teens today don't have to learn how to parallel park without power steering. Lucky bastards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ABay said:

Teens today don't have to learn how to parallel park without power steering. Lucky bastards.

Ha!  The only thing I'd driven without power steering was a '65 VW Beetle - no problem.  So imagine my surprise when I went to make a U-turn in the power steering-less pick-up truck I'd borrowed.  What I didn't even think about in "Herbie" was quite noticeable in that truck.

I didn't have to parallel park for my test (or drive on the freeway, and I don't think you should qualify for a license in Los Angeles unless you can drive on the freeways).  I'm very good at parallel parking (except every once in a while I inexplicably blow it in a space with plenty of room), and I was pretty good at it even back then - I thought it was fun, so I'd done a lot of practicing.  Other than driving around for not all that long a time, all I had to do was a three-point turn and back up X distance in a straight line.  I walked out of the DMV very happy to have that temporary license in hand, but also frightened at how little one had to do to obtain one.

Oddly, in my mid-size hometown in NC, we had driver's training in school starting at about age 15 (~1990-91). One of the basketball coaches taught it. There was a course in a modified parking lot in which we started learning maneuvers and parallel parking. I was not good at that. We eventually went on the road and for some reason were taken downtown in heavy traffic and I thought for sure I would kill us all. The car was outfitted with a break on the passenger side for the instructor.

I got my permit at 15. I had already bought my cousin's old VW Beetle because I was working by 15. I didn't get my license until I was almost 17 though, for whatever reason that escapes me now. It must've been because I was dating a guy who had his license. With a permit, one is only supposed to drive with a parent, but the boyfriend let me drive his car. Smart, I know.

When I got my license, it was just before junior year, which was the first year students could have cars on campus. The first day of school, I left my headlights on and drained the battery, not discovering it until about 5pm after dance practice. Thankfully, my then-future stepdad came to my rescue with jumper cables.

Oh, and thankfully my stepdad came along when I was learning to drive because my mother was NOT a good trainer. She was constantly screaming at me. My dad just sat back and let me drive. He's a cool customer.

• Like 2

Also got my permit at 16.  I could have gotten my license in NYS at 16 the time I first took the road test(maybe 1990)???  but I failed the road test repeatedly, I had to do parallel parking and k turns.  I finally got my license at age 32(in my defense I've lived in nyc since I was 21), the driving instructor told me to take the test in the Bronx, which I did and finally passed(the person who did the road test told me I was better than I was in high school).  I'm still terrified behind the wheel.

I didn’t have access to Drivers Ed in school; it was available through the local university via some kind of special arrangement, but I essentially blew off the idea. I learned to drive primarily with my grandfather, driving on roads way out in the sticks. He was pretty calm, which helped. I took my driving test in my parents’ car, which was a Lincoln Continental back when those were huge. No problems with the driving test, and the person doing the test laughed when we got to the part where he should have made me parallel park. He said given the size of the car, it wouldn’t be fair. I was either 16 or 17 when I got my license. I’d relied on my older siblings to take me places, but decided I wanted the independence of being able to drive myself. 

My daughter didn’t have much interest in learning to drive until about 3 years ago, when she was starting college and would either have to drive herself or rely on me. I taught her how to drive, and did the same thing with one of her friends, because I was able to provide instructions calmly and not freak out. I have noticed with my daughter’s generation, at least among her circle of friends and acquaintances, that they’re not as eager to get licenses as my generation was. It’s usually when there is an ongoing need to go from point A to point B that they get motivated to start driving. 

I took driver's ed in school, but failed my test twice because I couldn't parallel park. The third time we got back to the courthouse (where they gave the tests from) without parallel parking. I parked and stupidly turned to the tester and said, "I don't have to parallel park?" Fortunately, he did not make me go back out and do it. I still can't parallel park. The only car I've ever been able to do it in was the Geo Metro because it didn't require anything but pulling into the space.

We got that car when I was 40, and that's when I learned to drive a standard. I still can't start going uphill, though. When the car starts rolling back, I panic. I just made sure not to go any route that might make me stop on a hill.

@partofme, what's a k turn? Or is that a typo for a u-turn or j-turn?

K turn is a three point turn where you have to turn the car around in the middle of the road.  It was required to pass the road test in New York.  

• Like 1

It's been a somewhat...difficult week. Tuesday-Wednesday I was stranded about 90 miles away from home because freakish heavy snow had closed the highway. Also got stuck for 2 hours in an overheated van, in the dark, in the snow, with no working heater, because the company mechanics hadn't checked the coolant level recently. Brrr.

Got home Wednesday night to no power and no phone service (because of freakish heavy snow.) Luckily we heat with wood and have a propane stove.

Thursday I came home from work to find that Mom had fallen and hurt her hip, and had lain on the floor in pitch black darkness and with no heat for 4 hours (She has physical issues the prevent her from getting up from a prone position on the floor.) Phones were working by then, so 911 got an ambulance and paramedics quickly. An overnight stay in the ER determined that nothing was broken, just going to be very painful for a while.

Friday morning I arranged for my employer to have a driver transport Mom, then left the ER to clear a path through all the branches that had dropped in the driveway (because of freakish heavy snow) for Mom's van, straining my back in the process. Helped the driver get Mom back up the front steps, since she'd taken some heavy pain shots, straining my back some more. Got Mom settled in, then finally went to bed after being up for 26 straight hours.

Today, Mom's doing fine with the help of modern pharmacology. I took the day off from work.

I've decided that I don't like freakish heavy snow.

• Like 4
  • Sad 6

Oh my - that ranks a bit higher than "difficult"!

I hope that you and Mom are getting the rest needed and recover without any more havoc thrown your way.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Thursday I came home from work to find that Mom had fallen and hurt her hip, and had lain on the floor in pitch black darkness and with no heat for 4 hours (She has physical issues the prevent her from getting up from a prone position on the floor.)

I'm glad she's ok! My parents got my dad a life alert type thing through Verizon. I'm pretty sure it's this or something similar https://www.verizonwireless.com/vzw/browse/deviceDetails.jsp?deviceProdId=dev440084&bvstate=pg:2/ct:r

It may give you piece of mind

• Like 1

Thanks.

4 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Oh my - that ranks a bit higher than "difficult"!

I hope that you and Mom are getting the rest needed and recover without any more havoc thrown your way.

Yes, Mom's doing better and I've mostly recovered.

2 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I'm glad she's ok! My parents got my dad a life alert type thing through Verizon.

I think this little episode has convinced her to get something like that.

• Like 1

First I hope everyone is well. 

A word of warning. 

Another of my accounts has been hacked. I might have to close my PTV and come back with a new name. The person got to me thru Twitter. I’m running as fast as I can to change things, but might have to close up shop on both sites. 

I cant begin to tell you how scary this is and how invaded I feel. 

• Like 1

This is a pitiful  whine so please scroll on by. I just need to vent a bit and try to talk myself through an emotional funk stemming from lack of sleep, space wars at work, my inability to eliminate the pantry moths, not being able to walk properly because of pain, and an uptick in intrusive thoughts (it's a cycle).

It's the weekend, I should be glad but all I can think of is how much more cleaning I have to do, how difficult it is when I'm in pain, and that no matter how much I do, it still won't be enough to get rid of the fucking moths.

The shit at work never ends and will be waiting on Monday.

But, hey, every day above ground is a good one, right?

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, ABay said:

This is a pitiful  whine so please scroll on by.

If you want some commiseration, I decided a movie quote perfectly sums up the leadership of my company.

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it!"  Men  In Black

My plan for the weekend is laundry and cleaning and come up with a game plan on how not to care.

• Like 2

Thanks @ParadoxLost. People suck. People in charge of anything, suck even worse.

The death of Peter Tork is also part of the whine; The Monkees were a key component of my childhood and it kind of hurt to lose him.

But mostly it's the fucking moths. OK, I have pheromone traps up. So if they trap the males, the females have no mates, no so larvae, and moths gone after a couple of cycles. Right? That's science?

ETA: Please cross your fingers, enact an ancient ritual for luck, turn widdershins and spit, whatever--I *might* have found the moth food source and eliminated it. It's really difficult to tell because all I've ever seen is adults, never the webbing, eggs, or larvae various sites have described. Or maybe I have but didn't recognize it as being different from the usual cobweb/cat hair wisps. I now own the entire Vittle Vault product range.

I'm also exhausted and aching and can't check the last place on my list until the vacuum cleaner dries out. I hope I didn't rinse any parts that shouldn't be rinsed.

Edited by ABay
  • Like 2

GAH! No moths all of yesterday. Three this morning. I want to scream and hit things. I'm so frustrated.

Also, fuck Bissell. I've been trying for hours to find an extension hose for my vacuum so I can vacuum inside the upper cupboards. The hose on the one I have is very short. Supposedly it extends to 6 feet but that is damned lie. Bissell's site sells something but I can't tell if it's actually compatible with what I have or not.

Seriously, I am ready to beat things with a bat.

• Like 1

ABay, I had an infestation of pantry/grain moths one time.  I tore my pantry apart looking for the source, and finally found that they had been in a bag of wild bird seed that I had bought and had stored in the laundry room.  (I now closely examine all bags of bird seed when I buy some and have seen moths in bags at the store (and even flying around the area).  The only way I could finally get rid of them was to take everything out of the pantry, wipe down the shelves, walls, and around the ceiling edges.  I also had to look at every item in there that could have been harboring moths (rice, flour, cereals, etc.).  I found some and had to throw those boxes/bags out.  Now I keep everything like that either sealed up in a canister with a screwtop or in the fridge.  I also had to clean around the ceiling edges in other rooms in the house, because a few moths had 'attached' themselves there (just about 5 or 6, but I had to try to find all of them).  It was the biggest pain ever, and I sympathize with you. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Thanks, @BooksRule! My whine continues: I thought I'd found the original source (bird seed)and ongoing source (they moved to the cat food). They weren't in my food at all but I tossed a lot of things anyway. As far as I can tell, I've never seen the webbing or nesting, and definitely not seen larvae, so maybe I didn't find all of the food sources? They seem to like my living room and god help me if they're doing their thing in or behind the bookshelves because there's no way I can deal with all that. I just don't know and it's incredibly frustrating to do everything you can do and oops there's a moth flying around the room.  

So, how's everybody else doing? 

• Like 3

Oh, I hate to be in the grocery store and see those pantry moths flying around the baking aisle, it makes me not buy anything.

If it makes you feel better, @ABay, I once had a problem with black gnats in my kitchen. It took forever to find the source -- a small potato that had fallen behind a freestanding cabinet -- there was a small colony of gnat larvae, ick! I hadn't smelled the potato when it went bad because it was still in the plastic bag, masking that "what died?" rotten potato smell. Suffice it to say, I now put all potatoes in a vented plastic basket as soon as I get home from the store.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, forumfish said:

If it makes you feel better, @ABay, I once had a problem with black gnats in my kitchen. It took forever to find the source -- a small potato that had fallen behind a freestanding cabinet -- there was a small colony of gnat larvae, ick! I hadn't smelled the potato when it went bad because it was still in the plastic bag, masking that "what died?" rotten potato smell. Suffice it to say, I now put all potatoes in a vented plastic basket as soon as I get home from the store.

I that those little gnats one time, too.  Mine were from the kitchen sink drain (yuck!), but when I gave it a good plunging and clean-out with baking soda and vinegar (with lots and lots of good hot water), they vanished.  

I hate it when I smell that rotten 'bad breath' smell somewhere in the kitchen and have to go searching for a bad potato or onion.  Major stink!

Edited by BooksRule
  • Like 1

Hello, some of you may have gotten or will still get likes from me for posts from 2016. This is not because I'm new to the thread, but because the upgrade automatically sends me back to 2016 for some threads, but not all, so I start reading, and to be fair there was already a lot of good stuff back then.

(Sending me back to 2016 is actually quite a nice thing to do, I wish it could be the case in real life too). 

• Like 14
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 1

I went out to eat tonight and the bill was $29 and change.  So, I asked myself, what's 20% of $30.  I decided the answer was $15.  I can do math.  I really can.  I don't know what happened. I was carrying on a conversation at the time, but still.  Maybe that happened because the waitress is in need of a little extra cash.  Or, maybe she was having a bad night and that made it a bit better.  I hope so.

• Like 5

Operation Pantry Moth. Week 3. More (food grade) diamotraceus earth went into my lungs than the walls and the crown molding looks like a particularly inept cake decorator tried to frost them. In addition to all of the other things that have had to go into the garbage: an afghan beloved by 3 generations of cats. And pantry moths. It's time to shower and not think about everything else still to be done.

@ABay, was it difficult applying the diatomaceous earth? I've thought of getting some to put inside the fireplace to eliminate the waterbugs/palmetto bugs/roaches/whatever you call those vile creatures. We have had chimney swifts the past couple of years, so I don't want to use any pesticides that will harm the babies if they happen to eat a dosed bug. From what I've read, the only potential danger is if a dust cloud reaches the birds and they inhale it.

On 2/28/2019 at 6:16 PM, Katy M said:

I went out to eat tonight and the bill was $29 and change.  So, I asked myself, what's 20% of $30.  I decided the answer was $15.  I can do math.  I really can.  I don't know what happened. I was carrying on a conversation at the time, but still.  Maybe that happened because the waitress is in need of a little extra cash.  Or, maybe she was having a bad night and that made it a bit better.  I hope so.

Even if her shift was going okay, I'm sure you made her night!

• Like 2