radishcake

S26.E22: Mathlete's Feat

When a modernized Springfield Elementary has a technical meltdown, Lisa transforms it into a Waldorf school. Meanwhile, Groundskeeper Willie becomes the coach of the mathletes.

So yeah, I must've watched that couch gag about 10 times over the weekend and it still remains amazing. Anyone catch the Planet Express Ship, the Brain Slug, and Bobo cameos in addition to the obvious Slurm machine?

Anyways, it's about time the show tackled Mathletes. It was so good to see the nerds again! And they're successful! I actually liked that they wore different outfits every time we saw them.

If you're wondering about the math joke at the beginning, the solution was "i 8 sum pi."

Well, it's not Bart's fault that he's not good at math oh wait it is. I do like how Bart won because he knew Homer's hair is an M.

All in all, I thought this was a fairly good episode!

So yeah, I must've watched that couch gag about 10 times over the weekend and it still remains amazing. Anyone catch the Planet Express Ship, the Brain Slug, and Bobo cameos in addition to the obvious Slurm machine?

All in all, I thought this was a fairly good episode!

Agree on the review, but I didn't know who the couch gag was till the mid show commercial.

but I didn't know who the couch gag was till the mid show commercial.

I didn't know who they were at all, so had to look them up -- no wonder I've never heard of them, they've only had one season and that was only 11 episodes long. Caught the Futurama references, but were they supposed to be traveling through time or parallel universes. And why were they flying in a space ship ?  Does that happen regularly ?

The episode was ok, but nothing great.  Was this a paid product placement by Waldorf schools -- because I'm not sure it was mentioned enough ?

Not buying that going the old-school route improved mathlete scores.  Wouldn't grade school mathlete competitions be pretty simple anyway ?  Lisa's in Grade 2.

Where did that final scene with the whiskey jug hoedown come from ?  And why ?

• Like 1

Where did that final scene with the whiskey jug hoedown come from ?  And why ?

It's the old "this episode wasn't long enough" trick. The couch gag alone clocked in at two and a half minutes.

I didn't know who they were at all, so had to look them up -- no wonder I've never heard of them, they've only had one season and that was only 11 episodes long. Caught the Futurama references, but were they supposed to be traveling through time or parallel universes. And why were they flying in a space ship ?  Does that happen regularly ?

1) Watch it, it's great!

2) Second season premieres July 26th.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 1

It's the old "this episode wasn't long enough" trick. The couch gag alone clocked in at two and a half minutes.

Yeah, that did seem like an awful lot of filler between the cough gag and hoe down.

1) Watch it, it's great!

I may check it out -- thanks @Galileo908

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

*raises hand* I had no idea who Rick and Morty were until last night. It's piqued my interest just enough to search for their season one. I did catch the Futurama references in the opener, God, I still miss Futurama so much.

I had no idea that the Waldorf school existed, am not impressed with its philosophy, but was glad to see the nerds return to the Simpsons in their many outfits and glad to see the Springfield mathletes again. I am such a dullard when it comes to math but even I side-eyed when Bart ended up as a mathlete, and captain to boot!

Was this the finale?

• Like 1

Was this the finale?

Unfortunately yes.  You would have thought that the producers would have come up with something more impressive to end the season, let alone an episode that ran short on time because there wasn't enough story.

• Like 1

Man, I wonder how many people tonight were exposed to Rick and Morty for the first time because of this?

The Simpsons are listed as getting 2.79 million viewers last night, so I'll guess 2.78 mil.

• Like 1

I do not watch Game of Thrones, but I thought the kids watching Game of Thrones on their tablets was hilarious.  (That is what it was, correct?)

The kids aren't going to watch "Life in these 48 States" anymore?  Boo hoo.

Somehow Nixon was in that film.  The Simpsons and Futurama love Nixon.

They definitely do love Nixon, but Nixon was also VP under Eisenhower from 1953-1961 (Alaska and Hawaii became states in 1959), so it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

• Like 1