SilverStormm

The Last Kingdom

On 12/16/2018 at 8:33 PM, jackjill89 said:

I thought they put too much emphasis on Skade. She was a bore. Honestly, she looked so grubby to me, she must have really cast a spell to ensnare all those men. 

My thoughts exactly. All the Danes seemed to be enamored by her, and I was like, she looks like she hasn't bathed in years. But it must have been her powers that drew them to her. I was with Finan and baby monk, just kill her already!

I was really annoyed to see Haesten dining with King Alfred in the beginning. If Alfred had known he had tried to rape his daughter, I wonder if he would have still made an alliance with him. I can't remember if Haesten survived the battle at the end, but he's outworn his welcome. If it wasn't for him, maybe Erik and Aethelflaed would be living happily ever after! Sorry, I'm still not over Erik's death, but at least he gave Aethelflaed a little blonde-haired girl. :)

• Like 1

Ok, one of my favorite shows is back.

Episode 1: I can't say I'll miss Bloodhair. After he killed that beautiful horse, I was already done. Just for his stupid nickname. I miss Siegfried and Erik.

I kept thinking better be cursed than being led around by your dick again, Uthred. Ah, another wife dead. That doesn't seem fair he will think that's how he got cursed. How many dead wifes/girlfriends does that make? I can't remember.

I agree, that Skade woman is terribly annoying. Shouldn't she have seen Blodhair's defeat coming? I guess she sees what she wants to see. Like everyone else. I loved Uthred's little flinch when she cursed him. All that superstition back then! I don't mind the man bun very much. Aethelflaed leading an army! You go girl!

Episode 2: Brida! Ragnar! Of course, things are awkward when you visit family after you've been slaying Danes for Alfred. Who, btw. really should know better by now not to push Uthred too far. Ghost Leofric! I miss him too. 

Aethelwold is his usual smarmy and scheming self  who amuses me greatly. And now he's meeting with Bloodhair. Who, I'm sorry to say is one of the less charming Danes. I always wonder what he think he will do as king. He doesn't seem to think any further other than his repeated "the throne is my right" mantra.

I really hope Aethelflaed is going to cut off a few things of her pretty but evil husband. Head would be good. Hands might be nice.

Poor Finan. All he wants is to rest and hunt and find himself a nice Danish woman. Too much to ask? Well, yes, in this show, it is. I wonder what he will choose to do if Uthred decides to really be DANE with all the consequences.

Edited by supposebly

Episode 3: Oh the children who dare to get married in secret! What disappointment! Alfred is really worried everything is going down the crapper. Heir who doesn't care and no Uthred. Raising Uthred's children and introducing them to God. Soo petty. Uthred, the viewer's voice to Aethelwold, you are here to amuse. Heh. And no they are not the same. Uthred is taller. Although he amuses me too.

It's like going home to visit family at Christmas and then everyone fights. This has become awkward and sad.

Episode 4: Cnut and Aethelwold. Kindred spirits. So Cnut wants Brida and Ragnar's army. Poor Ragnar. Aethelflaed releases Uthred from his oath and wonders why he came. Well, my dear, he had nowhere else to go, really. And we're having a bit of a crush now, are we? Is it just me who thinks the Alfreds are a creepy couple?

That little shit! Ragnar! Nooo!

Edited by supposebly

I really enjoyed this season and I agree, Skade was an awful character. I was so happy when Uhtred drowned her. 

My heart broke for poor Beoca. Poor Thyrra. 

I was so disappointed in Sihtric when he left and freed those Danish prisoners and so happy when we realized it was a ruse. My favorite thing about this show is Uhtred and his guys. Especially Finan. 

• Like 2

On 12/18/2018 at 7:24 AM, Captanne said:

I also found Skade took up way too much time and attention -- but the interesting thing for me is that the actor who plays Uhtred was really invested in the curse and, therefore, sold it to me.  Every time I thought, "Oh God, not her again" I remembered that she was driving every thing he did.  Which made his vengeance actually satisfying for me as a viewer.  (I'm not big on vengeance and usually find it repulsive.)  I credit the writing, but really the actor.  I never lost sight of the fact that, while Skade may be a difficult character to give to a modern audience, she mattered to Uhtred.  And Uhtred never let us forget it.

ETA:  He was vastly helped by the fact that his soulmate was in on the obsession with the curse.  Gida (and her performer) carried a lot of the burden of making Skade's threat credible.

Not me.  I'm all about the vengeance.  Bring it on.  I was screaming for Uhtred to kill skank Skade and Aethelwold every episode they appeared in.  When he finally did I was cheering.  Skade was just so over the top and unappealing, and Aethelwold was a weasel and a snake.  

• Like 3

On 11/20/2018 at 5:04 PM, LGraves65 said:

I've only watched the first two episodes, but it's been good.  Would be better if the actress playing Skade could act.

Within the first minute of the first episode I pegged her as a favor owed to somebody.   One of the worst actors to be featured on this show, with Sigurd running a close second.    I have watched only the first episode but it feels like there's been a seismic shift in quality, almost as though The Last Kingdom has a different showrunner, director, etc.  Gisela's fate felt cheap and contrived.

10 hours ago, millennium said:

Within the first minute of the first episode I pegged her as a favor owed to somebody.   One of the worst actors to be featured on this show, with Sigurd running a close second.    I have watched only the first episode but it feels like there's been a seismic shift in quality, almost as though The Last Kingdom has a different showrunner, director, etc.  Gisela's fate felt cheap and contrived.

I haven't read the Last Kingdom books but the author also wrote the Sharpe series and the hero in that churned through love interests, most of whom died to fuel his manly pain so I'm guessing Gisela's death is by the book. It was a crappy ending for her though. There doesn't seem any point in getting invested in Uhtred's love interests because they won't last long.

3 hours ago, snowwhyte said:

I haven't read the Last Kingdom books but the author also wrote the Sharpe series and the hero in that churned through love interests, most of whom died to fuel his manly pain so I'm guessing Gisela's death is by the book. It was a crappy ending for her though. There doesn't seem any point in getting invested in Uhtred's love interests because they won't last long.

Uthred's love interests  = Spinal Tap Drummers

• Like 4

I've just finished marathoning all 3 seasons - great because I'm now a huge fan of this show, not so great because now I have to wait a year for the next season. As a Vikings watcher it's been really interesting to see such a different take on the same era/some of the same characters (since I loathe the Aelswith character in this show, it's sort of hilarious to see how she's portrayed in Vikings).

I agree with the general consensus about Skade, although I don't know that it's entirely the actress' fault. She certainly wasn't great, but the bigger problem to me was that the character was never half as interesting as the amount of screen time she got.  She more or less replayed the same scene every other time she appeared ("I'm your woman," "drink this blood," "blah blah blah curse blah blah").  Given the number of actually interesting female characters the show has had and not made nearly enough use of (Hild, Brida, Gisela, Hild, Hild, Hild) it's kind of baffling that it spent so much time on Skade.

I'm hoping that Uhtred finally gets to Bebbanburg next season because by my calculation of the passage of time (25-plus years, given the time jump from when Uhtred is a kid to when his Viking family is killed, the year or so that Uhtred is married to Mildrith, and the fact that Edward was an infant in season 1 and is now a teenager), by the time he finally gets there his uncle will be dead of the medieval equivalent of old age.

On 1/7/2019 at 10:22 PM, Steph J said:

I'm hoping that Uhtred finally gets to Bebbanburg next season because by my calculation of the passage of time (25-plus years, given the time jump from when Uhtred is a kid to when his Viking family is killed, the year or so that Uhtred is married to Mildrith, and the fact that Edward was an infant in season 1 and is now a teenager), by the time he finally gets there his uncle will be dead of the medieval equivalent of old age.

The passage of time is weird on this show, mainly because most of the characters don't look to be any older. Uhtred knew Aethelflaed when she was a little girl, and now there appears to be a budding romance between them, but he looks the same age as he did when she was a child. I guess it'd be too much work to give the characters old age makeup, and that rarely looks believable anyway. They did a good job with Alfred's greying hair and bags under his eyes though. It's also funny how it seems to take them no time at all to traverse the country. But it keeps the story moving, so I'm ok with it.

I'm bummed this is one of the shows that had its main forum taken away. Maybe it'll be put back once season 4 starts.

9 hours ago, pezgirl7 said:

The passage of time is weird on this show, mainly because most of the characters don't look to be any older. Uhtred knew Aethelflaed when she was a little girl, and now there appears to be a budding romance between them, but he looks the same age as he did when she was a child.

I think the problem with Uhtred is that the age he looks in Season 3 is probably about right (the actor is 35) for how much time has passed, but that in Season 1 he looks much older than he should actually be, which is probably in his late teens.

• Like 1