SilverStormm

Shadowhunters

It was stupid of Simon to make his mother believe he was dead. He is still running all around the city, driving the same van and  performing under the same band name. Anybody who sees Simon walking around like normal will think his mother is crazy.

4 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Luke sure is a parent because he is sacrificing left and right for catastrophic clary.. Losing his pack.. Maybe his job.. While Clary is out here necromancing her bio dad ( after a very dangerous witch said it was a horrible idea)... And guess what... It was he killed a gang of clave members and let loose a bunch of  rogue demon hating shadow hunters... I assume someone will be along soon to tell her it wasn't her fault... Ugh at the anvil storm of  "Sizzy"...  we get it...  

I would think the Clave would have realized that raising Valentine from the dead was a terrible idea when Clary said she'd do it. Clary's ideas and instincts are always awful. I mean she was just interrogated about her terrible decision to use the one wish to resurrect Jace. Why would you trust anything she wanted to do?

Poor poor Luke. I love how the police think he's so dirty and follow him to one place, but like never follow him again during that evening to find out what he's actually up to. If Luke is an actual criminal, what he's doing doesn't stop being a crime because Luke turned in his badge and gun. The police are just as competent as the Clave.

Simon's story was sad and actually moving.

Magnus gave up his magic to save Jace? I don't know if that was a fair trade. If he had given up his magic for Clary, I think I could confidently say that Magnus is bad at negotiating.

• Like 4

So the theme of the these episodes is somewhere between "parents just dont understand" and "fuck my life" with a lot of fighting in between. I thought it was actually a good midseason finale, if pretty busy with a lot going on, and the cliffhanger not being super effective. Yeah, I dont think for a second that Clary is dead, or even that Magnus wont get his magic back pretty soon. Still, I certainly want to know what happens next, so its successful in that regard.

Seriously so much angst in these two episodes! I know  I've made jokes about how crazy it is that all the characters have dealt with so much shit in such a short amount of time, but holy crap, that is a LOT of drama to handle in just the span of a few days, and things just seem to keep getting worse. I mean, at least they finally managed to save Jace and banished Lilith back to Edom, even if this clearly isnt the last we`ve seen of her (which is fine with me, she`s a cool villain), and thats something at least. 

The Simon drama was so sad, I admit to actually tearing up a little bit when his mom was screaming about him being a monster while poor Simon sobs his heart out. At least his sister was supportive, Becky is an awesome big sister. She seemed more upset that Simon went through so much awful stuff without her knowing than the fact that he sucked her blood. It was nice seeing Izzy being supportive, even if those Sizzy anvils were dropping harder than a piano on Wylie Coyote. I like Simon/Maia, but I think I could get into Simon/Izzy too if it takes awhile to build up. 

I know that Clary can be short sighted, but I do love how quick she is to call The Clave out on their bullshit. I mean, of course they have more people on death row than your average Texas State prison, and they make them get washed up, wear these ridiculous robes, get a death hairstyle, and when they execute people, they burn them alive and dump their burned corpses down a hatch! God dang! These guys are an absolute disaster, no wonder the Shadowhunters are all so uptight about the rules! They have that shit hanging over their heads every day! And I like how she has zero tolerance for her asshole bio dad. No hesitation based on sharing genes like on a lot of shows, she just wants his ass dead. And to stay dead if you don’t mind. 

I hope we see more of Magnuses dad, he seems like he could be a pretty awesome villain. And I love how he comes off as just a typical dad bugging his son about how they never talk anymore. "You never write! You never call! You never send blood sacrifices!" And he is, to the shock of no one, a total drama queen. He even seems to share Magnuses sense of style. I know Alec will be alright, but that doesn't look good. They didnt get a whole lot of couple time, but they do seem to still be in a good place, even with all the drama. I was worried Magnus would get stuck in Hell with his dad, so this is at least less sad than that. And I give them about two episodes before he gets his powers back. 

So, yeah. Lots went down this week. So, maybe with the evil being temporarily defeated, Luke in trouble with both his pack and the NYPD, Magnus being in trouble with the warlocks and without power, they can drag Clary out of Hell and take that freaking vacation

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 4

That is odd, why would Simon say: "I killed her, Clary is dead".?

Last time I checked, Simon was busy falling out of the window while Clary is still alive and kicking, and getting her arm grabbed  by her zombie brother.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, showme said:

Last time I checked, Simon was busy falling out of the window while Clary is still alive and kicking, and getting her arm grabbed  by her zombie brother.

Everyone is a self-obsessed monster who think every thing that happens is because of them... Even obvious situations where things aren't in your control

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UNOSEZ said:

Everyone is a self-obsessed monster who think every thing that happens is because of them... Even obvious situations where things aren't in your control

Well, I hope it was just confused Simon talking, but he looked pretty sober.

23 minutes ago, showme said:

Well, the whole floor exploded, and Simon only survived because he grabbed the ledge (although, maybe he would survive anyway, being a vampire), and no one else is there, so he was probably just assuming she exploded when Lilith hit him, and that made her go back to Hell in a ball of fire. I get why he would think that in the moment. 

• Like 2

So I'm not happy about the changes they made from the book. I know, no book talk. I'm not giving spoilers.  I'm just saying that I have given this show a lot of leeway and I know it's not the books, but the change they made at the end, tying Clary's life to Jonathan/Sebastian's, was annoying the hell out of me. We'll see what they do with it.

I will say a positive thing, though. This season has been a HUGE improvement over the previous. Even Catherine's acting is much, much better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pixel said:

So I'm not happy about the changes they made from the book. I know, no book talk. I'm not giving spoilers.  I'm just saying that I have given this show a lot of leeway and I know it's not the books, but the change they made at the end, tying Clary's life to Jonathan/Sebastian's, was annoying the hell out of me. We'll see what they do with it.

I will say a positive thing, though. This season has been a HUGE improvement over the previous. Even Catherine's acting is much, much better.

Since you can't talk about the book here, could you let me know which book to read if I want to find out about it myself?

2 hours ago, showme said:

Since you can't talk about the book here, could you let me know which book to read if I want to find out about it myself?

Jumping in... season 3 of the TV show seems somewhere around Book 4 of the 6-book TMI series. I'm not one to discourage people from reading but it might easier to check on Wikipedia. LOL.

Although I will recommend the books, they are kinda awesome and like @Pixel I think the show made a lot of bad calls in the book-to-screen changes.

On 5/18/2018 at 12:22 PM, showme said:

This last episode lines up with the end of City of Fallen Angels, and the story continues in City of Lost Souls. I was super disappointed with the choices made in this episode because I loved the books storyline. 

Edited by Pixel

Quick question: Is this season finished? That was the last episode for this season aired last Tuesday?

14 hours ago, showme said:

Quick question: Is this season finished? That was the last episode for this season aired last Tuesday?

That was the midseason finale - the second half of the season starts airing August 14th.

Shadowhunters Won't return for a fourth season

Freeform is closing the doors of the New York Institute earlier than expected: Shadowhunters won’t return for a fourth season, and will end after the upcoming second half of Season 3, TVLine has learned.

RELATEDCable/Streaming Scorecard: What’s Renewed? What’s Cancelled?

The supernatural drama will wrap things up in the spring of 2019 with a 12-episode run — titled Shadowhunters: The Final Hunt — that will be capped off by a two-hour series finale event.

“We are very proud of Shadowhunters, a series that broke new ground in the genre world and became a fan favorite,” the network said in a statement. “However, along with our partners at Constantin, we reached the very difficult decision not to renew the show for a fourth season. But as big supporters and fans ourselves, Freeform insisted on and championed the filming of a special two-part finale that would give devoted fans a proper ending.”

Edited by Jacks-Son

Damnit. I just finished watching 3A and found it considerably more enjoyable than previous seasons. Apparently Netflix is to blame.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Constantin lost its output deal with Netflix, which helped to foot the bill for the pricey project. Without the streaming giant's financial backing, Constantin sought a greater cash infusion from Freeform, which sources say was unable to afford to keep the series running. (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/shadowhunters-canceled-at-freeform-will-end-two-hour-finale-1116804)

http://ew.com/tv/2018/06/04/shadowhunters-canceled-freeform/

I can't say I'm surprised. The show was doing badly in ratings and they only have them selves to blame.  They started with a huge a built-in audience with the book fans and ended with just a few niche viewers. I don't know what drives the decision to take extremely successful source material and "improve" it by changing practically everything that made it successful in the first place - and still expect the story to be successful. I don't believe in word for word faithful adaptations but you can still take liberties with the text and remain faithful to the spirit of the story and the showrunners absolutely did not do that. 

On the plus side, maybe now that she's rich enough, Clare can buy back her rights.

On 6/5/2018 at 4:32 AM, ursula said:

http://ew.com/tv/2018/06/04/shadowhunters-canceled-freeform/

I can't say I'm surprised. The show was doing badly in ratings and they only have them selves to blame.  They started with a huge a built-in audience with the book fans and ended with just a few niche viewers. I don't know what drives the decision to take extremely successful source material and "improve" it by changing practically everything that made it successful in the first place - and still expect the story to be successful. I don't believe in word for word faithful adaptations but you can still take liberties with the text and remain faithful to the spirit of the story and the showrunners absolutely did not do that. 

On the plus side, maybe now that she's rich enough, Clare can buy back her rights.

The article states that the reason for the cancellation was purely financial. I've never read the books. I have no investment in gauging the faithfulness. I came to the show through the movie, which was terrible. And I only watched the movie because of Bilge Ebiri's review, which called it a Douglas Sirk movie only stupid. It was a line that was so eloquent that ut endeared me to the property forever. How can I not reward something that aspires to greatness and fails so spectacularly?

http://www.vulture.com/2013/08/movie-review-the-mortal-instruments.html

I liked the show despite the dreadful writing and worse acting. I've been pleasantly surprised by Alberto and Dominic. I hope they go on to bigger things. I've seen Katherine be decent in other things, but she was awful here. Matthew was terrible, but is easy in the eyes. He should stick to modeling.