SilverStormm

Nightwatch

If you ever want to see a training video of why ordinary citizens have a strong dislike for LEOs, this focus on TPD could be it. The stop for that teenage girl underage drinking made me livid. Pour out the beer threaten to run her in next time and send 'em both on their way. Now the kid gets an arrest record (even if it's juvie) and a lifelong hatred for the cops over a lousy beer on Halowe'en. Yeah, what a great use of taxpayer's resources on display. The only thing missing was that patrol officer saying the girl failed to "respect mah autoritah!"

I'm all for a strong show of force over crimes of violence, weapons, narcotics dealing and so on, but for penny-ante stuff, a summons or a warning and a dirty look might often be the best long-term solution rather than whipping out the cuffs and playing the tin-plated despot.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, NJRadioGuy said:

The stop for that teenage girl underage drinking made me livid. Pour out the beer threaten to run her in next time and send 'em both on their way. Now the kid gets an arrest record (even if it's juvie) and a lifelong hatred for the cops over a lousy beer on Halowe'en. Yeah, what a great use of taxpayer's resources on display.

That pissed me off, too.  The drunk girl wound up getting belligerent and insulting Roni, including a gender slur, if I remember correctly, and there's no call for that (insult people based on what they're doing, not who they are), but that's after she was taken into custody over something stupid.  Before that she, of her own volition, told Roni she'd given a fake name (which, of course, Roni knew anyway) and apologized for lying.  Then asked if she could please just get in an Uber car and go home. 

Yet the answer was no?  Come on.  She wasn't falling-down drunk, or anything close to it, and she was underage, but not a kid.  She wasn't trying to drive.  She wasn't bothering anyone.  She was an older teen drinking on Halloween.  Nothing positive comes from running her in.  Like you said, give her a warning and send her on her way.  If they really want to go for scared straight tactics, drive her home and hand her over to her parents. 

Roni is a model of how not to do policing in my book. The end goal of good policing is to keep the area you're responsible for safe. That can be accomplished by locking the bad guys up and discouraging bad behaviour that leads to more serious consequences later on. If all you do your job for is to lock people up, then you're policing by fear. That rarely ends well. Carrot-vs-stick, etc.

I read an interesting piece a year or so back (sorry, I forget where) that dealt with road enforcement. When you run a stop sign or pass through a radar trap and the red and blue lights come on behind you, that feeling of dread and knowing you're in deep sewage is far more of a horrible feeling than actually having to pay the (typical) $150 fine. Unless you're in deep poverty, a minor traffic fine isn't going to mean not eating for a week or affording medicine (and even then, courts will often show mercy), but it is a deterrent. So the study found that the very act of pulling drivers over and discussing what happened was as strong a deterrent as writing a ticket, albeit with less income to the towns...but with the same effect. Reduced accident rates, greater compliance. And meanwhile, the driver who gets pulled over, checked for outstanding warrants, etc, but not fined is more likely to come away from the stop with a better opinion of policing--i.e. won't see it as a cash grab but as a genuine attempt to make the roads safer. And he'll probably pay stricter attention to the speed limit or stop signs in the future.

Edited by NJRadioGuy