Jump to content
AdorkableWitch

The All You Can Eat Buffet: My 600 Pound Life All Episode Discussion

Recommended Posts

After nearly every show, there are comments about how Dr. Now doesn't do this or that, often involving a nutritionist.  This week, there were two older shows with a nutritionist visit.  One was Erica, who mocked the visit,  much like Penny and her husband.  And then there was Joe, the dude who thought we should pay for his wedding!  When the nutritionist visited him, she talked about reading labels on food, something Joe did in a subsequent visit to the grocery store.  Any wonder why Joe was a success ..at least in the weight loss department.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Next week's episode looks like total train wreck.     I'm expecting at least a couple of really good Dr. Now moments.       I can't believe patients still make the same stupid excuses to him, and expect a different outcome.  

I think the level of snark on here will be epic.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Next week's episode looks like total train wreck.     I'm expecting at least a couple of really good Dr. Now moments.       I can't believe patients still make the same stupid excuses to him, and expect a different outcome.  

Yes, I guess we are due for a trainwreck. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Next week's episode looks like total train wreck.     I'm expecting at least a couple of really good Dr. Now moments.       I can't believe patients still make the same stupid excuses to him, and expect a different outcome.  

She’s apparently already had “failed” weight loss surgery and is full of excuses in the short clip!  I feel a lot of snarkiness coming on for this one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, ThereButFor said:

She’s apparently already had “failed” weight loss surgery and is full of excuses in the short clip!  I feel a lot of snarkiness coming on for this one.

One can only hope. I’m getting itchy snark fingers. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I've read that one great result from the WLS is that diabetes in Type 2 diabetes, there is either a total remission, or at least a great improvement.    Cleveland clinic is actually doing a clinical study on type 2 diabetes remission, and weight loss surgery, even in people of normal weight.    One study found that six years after WLS, 62% of the patients had no signs of Type 2 diabetes.   

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I've read that one great result from the WLS is that diabetes in Type 2 diabetes, there is either a total remission, or at least a great improvement.    Cleveland clinic is actually doing a clinical study on type 2 diabetes remission, and weight loss surgery, even in people of normal weight.    One study found that six years after WLS, 62% of the patients had no signs of Type 2 diabetes.   

I looked into WLS about 2 yrs ago, as I've mentioned here. I learned that the longer you've been diabetic, the less likely you are to have full remission. I also learned that blacks have less total weight loss than whites. Well, shoot. At the time, I'd been diabetic for 18 years; I'm also mixed race. I audit human subjects research and read research articles and study applications all the time for work, so I knew what I was reading and the bariatric center at my uni confirmed my concerns. So I decided against it. I didn't have that much to lose - I was only going to do it for the diabetes. And, since, as we've seen, this surgery isn't without its problems, I decided to deal with it on my own and keep my health as I am aliya jr's only living parent and didn't want to bring years of complications or death into the mix.  I'm not against people having the surgery; I just realized it wasn't for me. I wish they would be more forthcoming about what this surgery will do for *some* diabetics; it's not a cure for us all..

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

The patients who start the program, and get approved for surgery need to shop for apartments while they're in Houston, not from home, and while they're moving their stuff to Houston.    Several patients this  season have done the long distance apartment shopping instead of looking around while they were in Houston.      Actually, the second they are going for their first appointment, they should hunt for apartments then, and narrow their choices down.  

Why don't these people go apartment hunting when Dr. Now tells them to move there, apply in person, and then go look at the apartment before you sign a lease.     That way if you don't like the complex, or the apartment, then you won't arrive in Houston and be stuck.     And that way, if you already have the keys, you can turn on utilities, and even if you rent a truck to move, you can hire a couple of movers to unpack for you.    Maybe I should do a pamphlet, or checklist for Dr. Now to hand out when he approves them for surgery, and they need to move?       I hope the apartment complexes that have patients live there, give the office some brochures.      

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Next week we may finally get the first train wreck of this season.  He sounded like someone whining instead of losing weight like he was supposed to!  Maybe we had success stories so far because we had Casey from Family by the Ton right after this show to snark on, but now that we are going back to last season's family who were all pretty likeable, they can start bringing on the 600-pound crazies!

Edited by Hellga
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Amber's story is on again tonight! She is one of the success stories. Here are her before and after pictures. What an amazing transformation!

amber 600.jpg

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

I just watched the Assanti episodes. JFC. And someone married that jackass Steven.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, someone married Steven (or sometimes John) Assanti, but she's one of those internet 'personalities' too.    At least they married someone else that's a fool on the internet.    I wonder if SA actually moved where she is?    I hope we never see him again.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Gotta be honest, I'm ready for a train wreck episode. I kinda miss the old days of Penny, Pauline, James K and Schenee (I can't say the Asanti's because I tried three different times to get through their episodes and just couldn't do it. Nauseating people.)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

The sense of entitlement these people have astounds me.  I'm watching the Erica episode and it's this attitude in a nutshell.  Quit your job and help me. Don't  take my junk food, I don't understand the diet, the bed isn't in the right place and it's SO HARD!!  No personal responsibility is right.

There is this amazing thing called the internet.  If she spent some time doing some research on her own behalf, she could have found tons of support and a world of information.  I spend hours looking for lamps.  If I had a life threatening condition, I would find out everything I can.  But a lot of the show people just don't want to do anything that requires one bit of effort.  Whining, pity parties and excuses are so much easier.

I saw her second episode so I know she turns it around but I just want to slap the shit out of her.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, toodles said:

Whining, pity parties and excuses are so much easier.

Not just easier, but more satisfying.  They get a ton of attention be it positive or negative and become the central focus of everyone. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/9/2019 at 4:26 PM, WonTon said:

Gotta be honest, I'm ready for a train wreck episode. I kinda miss the old days of Penny, Pauline, James K and Schenee

I watched the Shenee episode yesterday on DVD.  Is there no separate thread for it?  I just am astounded at how rude she was to Dr. Now.  I thought it was from Season  7 but apparently I am not correct.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

I watched the Shenee episode yesterday on DVD.  Is there no separate thread for it?  I just am astounded at how rude she was to Dr. Now.  I thought it was from Season  7 but apparently I am not correct.

There is a really good thread for Schenee.  Definitely worth the read.

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, parrotfeathers said:

I watched the Shenee episode yesterday on DVD.  Is there no separate thread for it?  I just am astounded at how rude she was to Dr. Now.  I thought it was from Season  7 but apparently I am not correct.

39 minutes ago, toodles said:

There is a really good thread for Schenee.  Definitely worth the read.

Here's a link. Fourteen pages of snark: [ETA: not sure where the photo displayed below comes from, but the link should work.]

Share this post


Link to post

DO NOT forget the live chat on Schnee, 20 pages.

I watch in my bedroom on my tv, and post on my pc in the dining room, so I'm usually alternating, and miss a lot of live posting, but the live chat is a wonderful read---and re-read.
Don't skip them just because you aren't able to participate.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

The live-chat is hilarious, and I'm west coast so I miss it when it's actually live!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, cpcathy said:

The live-chat is hilarious, and I'm west coast so I miss it when it's actually live!

It opens again for west coast.  That's usually when I can catch it and jump in.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/11/2019 at 2:36 PM, cpcathy said:

The live-chat is hilarious, and I'm west coast so I miss it when it's actually live!

They do open it again during west coast airing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I am BORED out of my mind! I'm glad for those having success but I miss the old days when there was SO much to snark on! High hopes for next week everyone!

Share this post


Link to post

I'm watching all the back episodes on Amazon. I keep thinking I want to teach these folks what GOOD FOOD is like! I keep seeing a lot them eating a bland turkey burger or chicken breast and canned green beans when they are losing. 

Just an observation.... I want to give them cooking classes!! 

Edited by MemphisBelle
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
40 minutes ago, MemphisBelle said:

Just an observation.... I want to give them cooking classes!! 

Me too!  Healthy food can be delicious and varied!   Some of them do seem to know that, but for vast majority their food is bland and boring when they are eating junk and then it is just as bland and boring when they restrict calories.  It's like it never occurred to these people that food could be a joy in terms of quality, not quantity!  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

OK... here's something I've noticed as I've binge watched. Anyone else notice this or am I wrong? 

It seems like MANY of the women on this series (and I'm thinking especially of the bed-bound ones...) have a male enabler--a boyfriend or a husband--but the enablers for the MEN are often their MOM. Sean Milliken's mom, of course. 

If I'm right--and I'm only sort of mid-binge!--it's interesting. 

I'm currently watching "Ashley R" and it was so heartwarming how happy she was when she got out of the car and didn't honk the horn with her tummy. I was so happy for her! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

We did not have supersized versions of Holly's or Lacey's episodes but my DVR now shows that they will be aired on Friday at 8pm and 10pm.  I wonder if Friday is going to be the regular slot for the supersized versions now?  

Share this post


Link to post

On the Sean and Dottie update thread, it is reported that on the FB group for 600 lb Life, that Sean passed away.      Sad news. 

(I actually did see mentions on other sites, but the Houston neighbor's posting on the FB group for the show was so lovely.)

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

On the Sean and Dottie update thread, it is reported that on the FB group for 600 lb Life, that Sean passed away.      Sad news. 

Yes, someone who knew him posted on FB. It seems legit and it isn't a surprise if it is really true. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Fourth person.    Lisa (from Mobile,), James B "L B " Bonner (South Carolina), Robert, and then Sean.      I'm sure there are others we just don't hear about.   

How sad about all of them.    

Plus Lupe (of Gilbert and Lupe) lost her fiance/boyfriend Andrew last month, and she was apparently quite ill and in the hospital.    Hope she's doing better.  

I personally like the success stories.    They may not be as exciting as the ones who cheat and gain even in the hospital, but I like it when someone embraces the weight loss program, gets surgery, and does well after that.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Concerned said:

Suicide can be obesity related. A kid from Too Fat for 15 died in a murder suicide with his mother. Foots has difficulty recovering from his accident because his body was weakened. Others died of infection or heart attack. There are many ways to obesity kills, but the 20 percent mortality rate for participants on this show is pretty telling. The number who failed to lose weight or regained it, developed another addiction, are permanently disabled, or who have collapsed into depression exceeds 50 percent. Given a longer time span, the mortality rate will be very high.

I can't help but note that given long enough time span, mortality rate will be 100% for poundticipants as well as all of us chatting on these boards. 

While mortality for morbidly obese is known to be higher than for normal weight individuals, where does 20% mortality rate for show participants coming from?  There are 5 deaths people mention, but there have been how many people over seven seasons?  It has to be a lot more than 25...  last season alone, there were more than 10 people. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, Hellga said:

I can't help but note that given long enough time span, mortality rate will be 100% for poundticipants as well as all of us chatting on these boards. 

While mortality for morbidly obese is known to be higher than for normal weight individuals, where does 20% mortality rate for show participants coming from?  There are 5 deaths people mention, but there have been how many people over seven seasons?  It has to be a lot more than 25...  last season alone, there were more than 10 people. 

Exactly.  And figure in that the first four patients shown were filmed over seven years before we ever met them. Starting 12 or more plus years ago?  Talk about true reality television we saw in those initial episodes. The ups and downs were both fascinating and devastating. 

So five people over 12 years have died.   Many, many more than 5 have been successful in their weight loss and have moved on as productive adults. I prefer to celebrate success.

Edited by fonfereksglen
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/26/2018 at 8:42 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I think Sean won't live more than a year or two, and I bet he's over 1,000 lbs. when his body gives out.

You were right. Sean passed on February 17, 2019.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hi all, newbie here from the UK. 😀

I got into this show around Christmas - don’t get why it fascinates me so much but apparently I’m not alone! Your snarking on the participants has me rolling 😂

We just had Holly H’s show aired here and my gosh she was irritating - like a dog waiting to be kicked. I was amazed she lost anything at all!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Selina said:

I got into this show around Christmas - don’t get why it fascinates me so much but apparently I’m not alone! Your snarking on the participants has me rolling 😂

Make sure and read the live chats, for the ones that have it.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I just watched Henry's episode. What a sweet and gentle man. I am so sorry to hear about his death.  He was just getting started in his new life, and it was torn away. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

I think the listings showed yet another Melissa update, and she's pregnant yet again.
I'm sorry for her, but she'd become such a sad sack, that I don't want to watch her.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, auntjess said:

I think the listings showed yet another Melissa update, and she's pregnant yet again.
I'm sorry for her, but she'd become such a sad sack, that I don't want to watch her.

Yeah that last follow up was way too long, she is just so depressing and boring to me now.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

For all my fellow guitar-playing Pounders who hear the song "Lola" in their heads every time Dr. Lola comes on the screen, the chords to the intro are C, D & E.

Now you can do what I do and grab your guitar every time a Poundicipant goes to visit Lola.

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

And nothing but the date, was new in the Ashley/Melissa episode.  
It started looking familiar early on, and I found it in imdb.  
A U-verse error I guess, unless TLC sent it that way.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/27/2019 at 1:20 PM, auntjess said:

I think the listings showed yet another Melissa update, and she's pregnant yet again.
I'm sorry for her, but she'd become such a sad sack, that I don't want to watch her.

ITA auntjess. I mean it's been 10 years of TLC following her "journey." From what I can glean online, she's 275 pounds up from her lowest post weight loss surgery weight of 157. At that weight she was only 7 pounds away from her goal of 150; probably wouldn't have had to lose any additional weight since she looked like she could have lost that with the additional skin surgery she needed.

I remember in one of the conversations she had with Dr. Now where he pointed out her continued weight gain and that, at the rate she was gaining weight, she could be 400 pounds in short order. Her response was to promise that she would never let herself reach 400 pounds. There was something odd to me the way she phrased her response like instead of saying that she's going to work to not gain another pound and lose weight, it seemed as though she was saying that she would never allow herself to get that big. I recall that Dr. Now expressed concern about her continuing to use her children as an excuse to overeat and that she was not taking her health seriously.

I think that Melissa is a really good person and even at 275 pounds she has still lost 378 pounds which is amazing. But what concerns me is that I think she is a bit delusional to believe that she can continue to promote herself as a weight loss counselor/blogger and motivational speaker. I think it's disingenuous to still be embracing that persona when, little by little, she's in danger of ending up right back where she started. Hey, many of us struggle with our weight, myself definitely included. However, perhaps it would be better for her to back off the blogging--she was posting weight loss strategies and tips on her blog a little over a year ago--and focus on her own weight loss "journey."

Edited by DC Gal in VA · Reason: Typo.
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, DC Gal in VA said:

ITA auntjess. I mean it's been 10 years of TLC following her "journey." From what I can glean online, she's 275 pounds up from her lowest post weight loss surgery weight of 157. At that weight she was only 7 pounds away from her goal of 150; probably wouldn't have had to lose any additional weight since she looked like she could have lost that with the additional skin surgery she needed.

I remember in one of the conversations she had with Dr. Now where he pointed out her continued weight gain and that, at the rate she was gaining weight, she could be 400 pounds in short order. Her response was to promise that she would never let herself reach 400 pounds. There was something odd to me the way she phrased her response like instead of saying that she's going to work to not gain another pound and lose weight, it seemed as though she was saying that she would never allow herself to get that big. I recall that Dr. Now expressed concern about her continuing to use her children as an excuse to overeat and that she was not taking her health seriously.

I think that Melissa is a really good person and even at 275 pounds she has still lost 378 pounds which is amazing. But what concerns me is that I think she is a bit delusional to believe that she can continue to promote herself as a weight loss counselor/blogger and motivational speaker. I think it's disingenuous to still be embracing that persona when, little by little, she's in danger of ending up right back where she started. Hey, many of us struggle with our weight, myself definitely included. However, perhaps it would be better for her to back off the blogging--she was posting weight loss strategies and tips on her blog a little over a year ago--and focus on her own weight loss "journey."

I agree. I liked her too but I did notice in her follow up that she was gaining and didn't seem too concerned about it. Sadly, she probably isn't in the best place to be blogging about weight loss tips when she is in fact still gaining (it back). I checked out a weight loss center years ago (like Jenny Craig) and the "food counselor/salesperson" that talked to me was extremely overweight, definitely obese by definition. When I found out that she had been working there for several years, I felt like maybe that wasn't her niche.....not very good product advertising, so to speak. How was I supposed to believe in their center's services?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/27/2019 at 1:20 PM, auntjess said:

I think the listings showed yet another Melissa update, and she's pregnant yet again.
I'm sorry for her, but she'd become such a sad sack, that I don't want to watch her.

You mean a repeat of a previous update, or is she pregnant with her 4th child?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, CousinOliver said:

You mean a repeat of a previous update, or is she pregnant with her 4th child?  

It was indeed a repeat, but it was given a new date, either by TLC or by U-verse.  I've been caught on a couple like that recently.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/4/2019 at 7:03 PM, DC Gal in VA said:

I think that Melissa is a really good person and even at 275 pounds she has still lost 378 pounds which is amazing. But what concerns me is that I think she is a bit delusional to believe that she can continue to promote herself as a weight loss counselor/blogger and motivational speaker. I think it's disingenuous to still be embracing that persona when, little by little, she's in danger of ending up right back where she started. 

When I said something similar when the show aired, everyone wanted to tell me how Melissa could still be motivational. No. I'm a plump person trying to be less plump. I follow YT folks who have lost weight or are living well at their current weight and who are motivational.  That is not Melissa.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×