WendyCR72

Hallmark Channel Movies: Our Sap Brings in the Eyeballs!

51 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I agree.  It was nice that he figured it out AND looked her up.  The internet is good for things like that but we rarely see it used.  And the lead couple did have chemistry so I was cautiously optimistic for the first thirty minutes of the movie but then it just didn't hold my attention.  Of course she gives up her royal life to stay at a small ski resort.  Of. course. 

I didn't like that double standard as a prince would never give up his royal life for a woman in one of these movies. 

Thank you, Hallmark! I loved, loved, loved Winter Love Story. At least in my opinion, you hit it out of the ballpark. It's my favorite movie in quite some time.

I've always liked Jen Lilley--she's one of my favorite Hallmark actresses--and I really, really liked Kevin McGarry in this (I haven't seen him in much so far), and I thought the two of them had so much chemistry. I liked the story; it flowed well, without the usual unrealistic "she wrote a book, had it published and it became a best-seller--all within 24 hours!" kind of thing they usually push off as a writer's career. I think some of the scenes might have been in real snow, the relationship developed relatively naturally, AND THEY ACTED LIKE ADULTS! (Okay, there was a tiny blip at the end, but I'm willing to overlook it). And of course, we met Bungee the dog.

This one is a keeper, as far as I'm concerned. I would buy the DVD in a heartbeat. 

So, not to be greedy, but could we get some more like this? Pleeeeeease?

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, kirinan said:

So, not to be greedy, but could we get some more like this? Pleeeeeease?

Yep.  These two need to pair up together again.  I was so afraid I was going to come here, say I loved it, and raise the hopes of others only for them to be disappointed.  That still might happen but at least I have another person who likes it.

Hallmark Trigger Warning:  If you have issues with one of the leads being mean for no reason, then you're going to struggle a little bit with maybe the first 20-25 minutes of the movie.  Because she's mean for no reason.  She shades his genre of writing.  Judges him.  And he's such a sweetheart.  But eventually they get past that and are just sparkly the rest of the time.  And there was a mild miscommunication but it wasn't as egregious as it could be because I can see why she'd be sad about some of the things she said.

They had the best chemistry I've seen in one of these movies in a very very very long time. Elliot was sexy and charming and nice. Even though Cassie was prickly in the beginning, Jen Lilley's charm kept me going until she stopped being shady.

The story was your general "let's go on a book tour" but the conversations they had were deeper than we normally get.  Both had good characterization, especially Cassie's relationship with her mother that fed her insecurities but not because of something her mother did to her.  Bungee was cute too.

• Like 5

There was at least some (if not all) real snow in the first 4 installments of this year's Winterfest  because of the times of year they were filmed and the locations of the shoots.  

However, the final Winterfest movie next weekend -- SnowComing (which is a goofy title, and I have a feeling the two leads will have no chemistry) -- definitely has some fake snow (I saw pictures with fake snow on the ground), and I don't know how much -- if any -- real snow actually made it into the movie.

I thought Winter Love Story was pretty good.  I prefer tonight's Kevin McGarry Winterfest movie over the other Kevin McGarry Winterfest movie from 2 weeks ago, and I also liked this one better than his previous Spring movie and Christmas movie.   But my favorite new Winterfest movie of this year is still One Winter Proposal (that ending scene is wonderful).

Edited by TVFan17

One Winter Proposal was decent. It was nice to see adults acting like adults, plus the main couple kissed a few times and not just at the end of the movie. I did not like that the other couple got zero love when it came to a kiss, but that end proposal was beautiful and made me cry. It was perfect and not too rushed like other Hallmark endings. I’m sure next year will be One Winter Wedding and we will finally see the friends have some romantic scenes.

Winter Love Story looked promising in the commercials so it’s nice to see that people enjoyed it. I tend to like Jen Lilley’s movies (she always has an easy chemistry with the lead), so I will overlook the usual nasty mean girl schtick and try to keep an open mind,

• Like 1

I'm not sure what Natalie Hall & the director & writer were going for with her character in A Winter Princess, but it ended up mostly broad, cartoony and quite awkward. And I gotta say the writing didn't really help (which is strange, since it was the same writer as One Winter Weekend, which was much stronger on that front). Didn't care much for the overall product, to be honest, and even if it was a different spin on the usual "Royal" movies, it just felt off and flat, overall. (and those dodgy accents... sigh)

• Like 1

On 1/1/2019 at 5:22 PM, MissyPoo said:

To the DTH podcast's credit, they got me to watch a movie that I had planned to skip, Jingle Around the Clock. Brooke and Michael were gems on the podcast. It's cute they wrote it, exec produced it and are a couple in real life. I started watching it, but it was a little too slow for the time. I'll probably try again later.

When I first read this, I assumed you were talking about the Michael who was the other lead in the movie with Brooke in Jingle Around the Clock and was confused since google showed that his wife is definitely someone else. I actually just listened to that episode of the DTH podcast today. I slowed down my listening to try to save some for walking my dog (listened to some sports podcasts and TV podcasts in between instead). Anyway, after listening, I now realize that it was a different Michael who co-wrote it and produced it, not the actor Michael Cassidy. Though it looks like he has acted in other things - think he is Michael Traynor. I ultimately did not like this movie as much as the DTH guys, despite them being right that it was nice that they worked out the misunderstanding about the other male friend right away. 

Edited by VMepicgrl

Winter Love Story : this one was fun. A bookish, anxiety-ridden lead, some fun snarky banter, decent chemistry, a doggo, a road trip, Laura Miyata as the publicist, a more laid-back Kevin McGarry than in Winter Castle, and an overall light-hearted and enjoyable tone... I liked it.

(also, funny how those Winterfest movies seem to have proper opening titles/fonts... whereas the HM Christmas movies tend to be so rushed into production - and renamed again and again - that they always get basic, generic last-minute titles and credits)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kaoteek said:

(also, funny how those Winterfest movies seem to have proper opening titles/fonts... whereas the HM Christmas movies tend to be so rushed into production - and renamed again and again - that they always get basic, generic last-minute titles and credits)

I don't know how or when the title/credit fonts are chosen (and you're right that some of them are definitely more generic than others!), but the interesting thing (to me) is that all of Hallmark's movies -- for any of their themed events -- are more or less handled the same way in almost every other regard, but you might not always know or hear that the non-Christmas movies are being renamed, or filmed just a short time before premiering.    Some are filmed just a month or two before they air, and some are filmed way in advance.    Some of them go through multiple title changes (Winter Castle has had a few different titles, and Winter Love Story was originally called Love on the Books), while others somehow manage to keep the same titles all the way from production to premiere.    Or Hallmark might not always announce the movies with their original titles, so when the titles are changed later on down the line, the viewers might not have any idea that anything is different.   Hallmark makes the mistake of announcing all of the Christmas movie titles in a big, splashy way -- and then they think nothing of changing the titles and schedules many times after those announcements, when what they should do is just not announce any Christmas titles at all until everything is finalized and not going to change.

Some of the movies even change themes before they are filmed -- or during production.   For example, a few years ago there was a movie announced as a Christmas installment (A Worthwhile Life), but it ended up getting re-themed and it turned into a Valentine movie (Love at First Glance).     The movie that eventually became A Royal Winter was originally supposed to be a Christmas movie starring Jaime Pressly, called A Prince for Christmas.   And the movie that eventually became Love, Once and Always was originally supposed to be a Christmas movie called Christmas Castle.   The upcoming February movie Valentine in the Vineyard was originally called Wedding in the Vineyard and was supposed to premiere last June, and it had nothing to do with Valentine's Day!  lol   As Wedding in the Vineyard was filming, there was no indication that it was going to become a Valentine movie at all, based on pictures posted on social media.   It was even listed on the Hallmark Channel website as Wedding in the Vineyard, with a premiere date.   All of a sudden, out of nowhere, Wedding in the Vineyard got a new Valentine title and new premiere date, and Love on the Books got moved to January and magically became Winter Love Story!

Some of Hallmark's regular writers have said before that a lot of things (like major script changes and rewrites) can happen at the last minute with all of the movies, even in the middle of shooting.   A movie might even be close to going into production, and then Hallmark suddenly decides to change the theme of the movie at the last minute, sending the writers scrambling to do rewrites, turning a planned Summer movie into a Valentine movie, or a planned Spring movie into a Fall Harvest movie.    They sometimes cast the actors in the movies at almost the last minute too.   

The more I hear and learn about how these Hallmark movies come together before and after they film and all of the craziness involved in the whole process, the more I am surprised that so many of them actually get made and don't get stalled.   To me, it all sounds very disorganized and chaotic, which would stress me out if I had to work in that kind of situation!

• Like 5

I couldn't get into the Ruby Herring Mystery movie even though I like Taylor Cole.  But that's pretty typical for the movie mystery series for me.  Even the series I like I don't get into until the second movie.  Hopefully, the next one will be better.

But the acting of the suspects felt so stilted.  The potential motives were weak and boring.  And Ruby had more chemistry with her dad than her presumed love interest. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I couldn't get into the Ruby Herring Mystery movie even though I like Taylor Cole.  But that's pretty typical for the movie mystery series for me.  Even the series I like I don't get into until the second movie.  Hopefully, the next one will be better.

But the acting of the suspects felt so stilted.  The potential motives were weak and boring.  And Ruby had more chemistry with her dad than her presumed love interest. 

I can see that Ruby Herring is apparently not a hit with a lot of viewers on social media.  They are not being kind.   I stuck with it to the end.   The main thing that really seemed odd to me was the mismatched pairing of Ruby's parents.   I didn't buy them as a couple.   Even if they were/are close in age in real life (and I don't know if they are), the actress playing the mom just seems a lot older than the dad, mainly because dad looks/seems younger than he really is.   (That same kind of thing happened in the movie My Christmas Love, when Gregory Harrison's character was matched up with a woman who seemed older, while he seemed younger than his years, even if their ages were the same or close in real life.)

Edited by TVFan17
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Irlandesa said:

1 hour ago, TVFan17 said:

I can see that Ruby Herring is apparently not a hit with a lot of viewers on social media.  They are not being kind.   I stuck with it to the end.   The main thing that really seemed odd to me was the mismatched pairing of Ruby's parents.   I didn't buy them as a couple.   Even if they were/are close in age in real life (and I don't know if they are), the actress playing the mom just seems a lot older than the dad, mainly because dad looks/seems younger than he really is.   

Yeah, I just finished watching & I was not impressed. I was hoping for more after a 4 month mystery drought.

• Like 2

That Ruby Herring movie was kinda painful to watch. The guy working in the hotel looked too old to be a classmate of Ruby/Taylor Cole. I agree about the chemistry between Taylor and her former step father Shawn Christian not coming across as Father/Daughter like. The actress playing Ruby's Mom did look older then Shawn who was playing her husband. Nothing against the actress but when I first saw them all enter the hotel lobby I thought the actress playing Ruby's Mom may have been her Grandmother until it was established she and Shawn were playing husband and wife.

It seemed like this movie had more commercials then usual too. I decided to eat a really late dinner earlier while watching it on my DVR and it felt like I was taking a break from eating to FF'd every couple of minutes. This next part probably comes across weird in print even though it makes sense in my head. The whole thing felt really low energy all around and didn't evoke any feelings of suspense or really try to either. 

I mentioned awhile back that the commercials for Mystery 101 seemed more interesting then the ones for Ruby Herring. Looking back the Ruby Herring commercials didn't do a very good job masking the fact that it was probably going to be a clunker. I wonder what the actors/actresses and BTS people thought of it the movie wrapped....

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 1

On January 19, 2019 at 10:11 PM, kirinan said:

Thank you, Hallmark! I loved, loved, loved Winter Love Story. At least in my opinion, you hit it out of the ballpark. It's my favorite movie in quite some time.

Things I liked about the movie.

1.  The chemistry between Jen Lilley and Kevin McGarry was really conveyed by their facial expressions.  I actually sighed once when he looked at her.  

2.  The award winning novelist mother was not a diva.  She was fine with her daughter not exploiting the relationship between them.  She was supportive, but not domineering.

3.  There was a valid reason for the road trip.  I could understand why it was easier driving with a dog than flying.  It wasn't some contrived reason like planes being grounded by weather.

4. We never saw the ex-wife which was nice.  There was no evil person in the movie trying to derail the relationship.

Now I'll share my opinions on Winter Princess.  I lost interest in the story when I heard Natalie Hall's voice.  To me at least, it was like chalk on a blackboard.  I watched it while playing solitaire on my phone.

• Like 7

Disappointed to read that the Ruby Herring movie wasn't very good - DVR-ed it to watch later this week.  I have not been impressed with most of the new mystery series that were introduced recently, especially the Emma Fielding and the Morning Show Mysteries, and was hoping they were going to get back on track with them.  I was shocked to learn they have 3 new Morning Show Mysteries scheduled for this year given how bad the first two were - guess shows how much they are trying to push Holly Robinson-Peete (just wish they would drop the Rick Fox character, who adds nothing to them).

• Like 2

Yes to all the above @ShelleySue. I also enjoyed Winter Love Story. Loved their chemistry and the way they looked at each other (especially those cute pictures the friend showed Cassie before she started to cry). They got to bond and fall in love, and the storyline made sense.

The only two things that really bothered me was her practically forcing him to give up his big room for her “small one” (come on, it wasn’t that small) when he has a dog, and how she rushed out rudely during his speech. He won a big award and she acted like a child instead of being supportive and listening to his speech, but then we wouldn’t have gotten the usual misunderstanding and angst. Despite that, I loved it and hope they are in other movies together.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, twoods said:

Yes to all the above @ShelleySue. I also enjoyed Winter Love Story. Loved their chemistry and the way they looked at each other (especially those cute pictures the friend showed Cassie before she started to cry). They got to bond and fall in love, and the storyline made sense.

The only two things that really bothered me was her practically forcing him to give up his big room for her “small one” (come on, it wasn’t that small) when he has a dog, and how she rushed out rudely during his speech. He won a big award and she acted like a child instead of being supportive and listening to his speech, but then we wouldn’t have gotten the usual misunderstanding and angst. Despite that, I loved it and hope they are in other movies together.

Thanks for mentioning those two criticisms.  I agree with both of those, especially the second one.  She was so childish walking out of the award dinner at the beginning of his speech.  Other than that, I liked it... although I missed the first half hour or so.  Oh, and I'm sorry to say that I thought that dog was ugly (and looked like the type that slobbers gross drool over everyone and everything)... but that may be because it looked like a cross between two extremely aggressive dogs with which I had bad experiences.

On an unrelated note: what the heck is up with Hallmark's "Countdown" scheduling/marketing ploy?  I've never seen it before and I couldn't believe my onscreen TV guide didn't have any of the movie titles listed.  I didn't even bother watching any of them because of that gimmick.  The whole thing seems crazy to me!  Does that actually get them more viewers?  Enough to make up for people like me who just skip all of it since there's no movie information listed?

Apprehensive to watch Ruby after reading these comments...just started and not surprised to see the same black woman who was in the Wedding Planner, Murder She Baked, the Jewel series, etc. within the first 10 minutes.  Is Canada really that lacking in minority actors who want to get paid? I think I could go up there and show up for a few scenes in their Hallmark movies just for some variety.   I am too lazy to look it up but I cannot remember off the top of my head which soap opera Shawn Christian was in....help?!   He looks good...knee jerk says One Life to Live or As the World Turns?? 

Edited by catrice2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AnnaRose said:

On an unrelated note: what the heck is up with Hallmark's "Countdown" scheduling/marketing ploy?  I've never seen it before and I couldn't believe my onscreen TV guide didn't have any of the movie titles listed.  I didn't even bother watching any of them because of that gimmick.  The whole thing seems crazy to me!  Does that actually get them more viewers?  Enough to make up for people like me who just skip all of it since there's no movie information listed?

They are simply showing movies that they have already shown repeatedly -- some have been shown every year over the last few years.   Most of them -- if not all of them -- have already been shown this month, prior to today, and they will be shown again, either this month or this year, before the Christmas movies kick in. 

So if they did not withhold the titles and you looked at the schedule, it would look like the same old schedule with the same old movies they would be showing on any other weekend or night in January.   When they withhold the titles, it adds some mystery to it.  In other words, without the mystery it would just be another day of showing Frozen In Love, Love on the Slopes, Winter Love Story, One Winter Proposal, etc.

But there is no basis for the rankings (that anyone knows).    Hallmark has never said how the movies are ranked, so it seems like it's just a way to package up their frequently repeated themed movies for a holiday weekend marathon.   I don't think the rankings are based on anything concrete.

I would expect that there will be another marathon/Countdown of their frequently repeated Valentine movies over Presidents' Day in February.   They did this for their Summer movies last year, and for their Fall Harvest movies, and now the Winter movies.  So, apparently the suspense is getting some people to tune in.

Edited by TVFan17

32 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I am too lazy to look it up but I cannot remember off the top of my head which soap opera Shawn Christian was in....help?! 

I know he was on DOOL for quite a while.  And looking at his IMDb page, he was on both of the soaps you mention. 

4 hours ago, twoods said:

He won a big award and she acted like a child instead of being supportive and listening to his speech, but then we wouldn’t have gotten the usual misunderstanding and angst. Despite that, I loved it and hope they are in other movies together.

I actually kind of forgave her for that because she was feeling hopeful and then felt foolish.  But also childish is him not asking her outright to come to the event instead of keeping it a secret and have the invitation go through her representatives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, catrice2 said:

Apprehensive to watch Ruby after reading these comments...just started and not surprised to see the same black woman who was in the Wedding Planner, Murder She Baked, the Jewel series, etc. within the first 10 minutes.  Is Canada really that lacking in minority actors who want to get paid? I think I could go up there and show up for a few scenes in their Hallmark movies just for some variety.

Don't they shoot a lot of these movies in the Vancouver area?  I think the black population there is about 1 in 100 people... so yeah, I'm not surprised that they have to reuse a lot of the actors.  Same with their background actors... It seems like they have such a tiny number of people of African decent who are available to work as extras, that it can be very noticeable the way they frame each background shot to make sure one such person is included in each camera angle.  There have been times where it seemed like they made such a concerted effort in framing their shots with that objective, that it actually becomes distracting.

I think they put a lot of effort into making their locations look more diverse than the the populations of their filming locations actually are.  The extreme lack of competition must be a goldmine for black actors who live in the area and want to work in the industry.  You should go up there and try to get in some of these films and then report back.  It would be like having a mole on set. :D

Then again, Hallmark reuses so many of their white actors too.  It seems like they like working with certain people, and it's kind of cool that if they hire somebody and they do good work, with a good attitude and are easy to work with, they are loyal and hire them for other projects.  Rehiring the same actors/actresses is also probably a natural outcome of shooting movies in Canada instead of Hollywood where they have a huge pool of talent to choose from.  They work with a lot of the same leads in different movies, but the actors/actresses who play the secondary characters show up repeatedly in various movies.  I often wonder how many of them live in Canada full time.

1 hour ago, TVFan17 said:

They are simply showing movies that they have already shown repeatedly -- some have been shown every year over the last few years.   Most of them -- if not all of them -- have already been shown this month, prior to today, and they will be shown again, either this month or this year, before the Christmas movies kick in. 

So if they did not withhold the titles and you looked at the schedule, it would look like the same old schedule with the same old movies they would be showing on any other weekend or night in January.   When they withhold the titles, it adds some mystery to it.  In other words, without the mystery it would just be another day of showing Frozen In Love, Love on the Slopes, Winter Love Story, One Winter Proposal, etc.

Well, that's lame.  I would have liked to have watched Winter Love Story from the beginning, assuming they showed it during the countdown, but I wasn't able to watch it since they kept the time a secret.

On 1/15/2019 at 3:25 PM, MissyPoo said:

Just noticed Surprised By Love aired yesterday. :-/ For those who haven't seen it, definitely put it on your watchlist. It's super hilarious and (imho) Paul Campbell's best. It's what made him one of my fave comedic Hallmark guys. It looks like another airing is coming up this Sunday so yay!

I'm excited to see Bridal Wave is on! Love this movie so much. I wish I could get more Arielle and Andrew movies in the future. I hope it shows up on demand for folks who may miss it.

Wedding Bells is on Thursday which another fave of mine. I wish Hallmark had more character development like this in how they explain the leads' current relationship with food and how it relates to their past which adds a nice layer.

And I see some classics are coming up Saturday with Elevator Girl & A Taste of Romance. Rewatching them now seems like they may have been a few of the templates current Hallmark likes to reuse but not as well depending on the execution.

Love By Chance is on Sunday which, for some reason, I never tire of watching whenever it comes on.  On paper it seems like a run of the mill Hallmark movie but when watching it, it's a pleasure.

The original (and best) All of My Heart comes on before a marathon of the Winterfest countdown which seems really weird. I didn't think there were that many to warrant a countdown but do you, Hallmark. Do you.

I hate when that happens. :-( I did a quick search and surprisingly it looks like they'll show it on Thursday Jan 31st. I can't remember if they're in order or not.

MissyPoo, my Hallmark Guru!!  I just watched A Taste of Romance and LOVED it!  The acting was terrific, especially Teri Polo and Bailiee Madison who played the young daughter of the male lead, played by James Patrick Stewart - he seemed to be a bit of a jerk at the very beginning of the movie, but that was very quickly remedied and I ended up enjoying this one so much.  I loved the story, the acting, the French food and language, the romance, some of the funny shenanigans, and especially the relationship between Teri Polo's character and the young girl who lost her mother.  Bailee just killed in those scenes.

I also watched Elevator Girl the night before and loved that one too.  I probably would have skipped it because Lacey Chabert didn't particularly appeal to me... but her character and the lead male character were both so great. This movie was from way back in 2010.   I also loved Rosemary, the lawyer's assistant who was kind of a sweet mother figure to him and played a role in helping him get together with Lacey's character.

I also really enjoyed Wedding Bells!  I think the only (very slight) annoyance was the reaction of the two protagonists and their best friends when they arrived at that gorgeous inn and acted like it was so awful.  I wonder if the barn they used for the wedding was the same one they used in Country Wedding?  It looked to me like it could have been.  That was another recent MissyPoo recommendation that I loved, and otherwise never would have watched.

I have one more of these recommendations already recorded that I haven't had a chance to watch yet - I think it's Surprised by Love, if I'm not mistaken. 

I missed recording Love by Chance and All of My Heart, but they will be aired again this Wednesday and Tuesday the 29th. respectively. 

18 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

Well, that's lame.  I would have liked to have watched Winter Love Story from the beginning, assuming they showed it during the countdown, but I wasn't able to watch it since they kept the time a secret.

You'll have many other chances to watch Winter Love Story, though.  So there was literally nothing about today's showtime that was any different from the one that is coming up on Saturday, or in February, etc., except that it was kept a surprise as far as where it ranked.    

Hover over the Showtimes buttons on this page to see the next 5 airdates -- http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/winter-love-story

Edited by TVFan17
  • Like 1

@AnnaRose I also love Elevator Girl. It was back when I wasn’t annoyed with Lacey Chalbert yet so I could enjoy the movie. The chemistry was great and I liked the storyline. 

Snowmance looks terrible, but that’s probably my bias towards the lead actress because I tend to not like the movies she is in. I do have high hopes for the one that Sam Page and Maggie Lawson are in. Speaking of Maggie Lawson, I was thinking about the wedding movie she was in with Paul Greene and liked that one a lot as well. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, twoods said:

@AnnaRose I also love Elevator Girl. It was back when I wasn’t annoyed with Lacey Chalbert yet so I could enjoy the movie. The chemistry was great and I liked the storyline. 

Snowmance looks terrible, but that’s probably my bias towards the lead actress because I tend to not like the movies she is in. I do have high hopes for the one that Sam Page and Maggie Lawson are in. Speaking of Maggie Lawson, I was thinking about the wedding movie she was in with Paul Greene and liked that one a lot as well. 

You mean SnowComing?  It's a bad title -- there's no way around it -- and I was really expecting Hallmark to change it.  I was surprised when they didn't change it!   I like Lindy Booth, but I am not expecting her to have any chemistry with Trevor Donovan.  I hope I'm wrong.

Hallmark is doing this odd thing now of dubbing February "Unconditional Love Month."   They only have two "official" Countdown to Valentine's Day movies (the 2 that air pre-February 14th), and then another 2 that air post-February 14th.  But they are piling 3 different animal-oriented specials into the month too (which, I guess, is not a new thing, but this is the first time they have kind of lumped the animal shows together with the Valentine movies as part of one big event).   

I know that a lot of people love animals (I am one of them), but I don't know how many people are interested in watching the Kitten Bowl, the Cat Bowl and the dog special they've got.

However, one benefit to the heavy animal focus in Unconditional Love Month (February) is that there will be a special showing of Nine Lives of Christmas on February 15th -- and that is a delightful surprise!

Edited by TVFan17
  • Like 3

Just watched much (but not all) of One Winter Proposal (Number One movie on the XX-standard, nobody knows what it is) ..  Very nice, handsome people etc.  I came away feeling much cheated by not having a solid resolution of the relationship between Megan and Sean -- ?? ?? --    One interrupted kiss (check), called away to help with the romantic finale for the main couple, and then they're shown together, and Megan nods mysteriously ... which probably means "We worked something out."  Really ??  They really had me caring, after two entire movies, about this couple and we get a 'nod' as their resolution.  Poor screenwriting, it seemed to me.  (Maybe this was discussed when it first aired - sorry.)

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, twoods said:

Yes, I was so surprised I liked her so much in Elevator Girl.  Actually the only movie I saw her in was A Royal Christmas, which I really enjoyed, but I felt like she was kind of a weak link.  She also stars in All of My Heart, which I'm planning to watch.  That was from 2015.  Have you seen that one?

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chippings said:

Just watched much (but not all) of One Winter Proposal (Number One movie on the XX-standard, nobody knows what it is) ..  Very nice, handsome people etc.  I came away feeling much cheated by not having a solid resolution of the relationship between Megan and Sean -- ?? ?? --    One interrupted kiss (check), called away to help with the romantic finale for the main couple, and then they're shown together, and Megan nods mysteriously ... which probably means "We worked something out."  Really ??  They really had me caring, after two entire movies, about this couple and we get a 'nod' as their resolution.  Poor screenwriting, it seemed to me.  (Maybe this was discussed when it first aired - sorry.)

I think there is another sequel coming, so we will find out more about Sean and Megan then.   It sounded as though Sean was going to give up his new job and move to be closer to Megan.   Didn't he say something like that?  

Yes, it is very good. The two sequels are not as good as the original movie. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

I think there is another sequel coming, so we will find out more about Sean and Megan then.   It sounded as though Sean was going to give up his new job and move to be closer to Megan.   Didn't he say something like that?  

I remember he did, but it was a little vague - she didn't have a chance to say 'Oh yes that'd be great' or anything else.   But I did get that suggestion.  So, a good sequel would be very welcome.   Their characters were entirely as much fleshed out as the main characters, so I do miss a good solid resolution for them.  Fingers crossed!  Thanks for the news.

• Like 2

I am assuming next year will be One Winter Wedding and Megan and Sean’s relationship will be fleshed out then.  I found myself wondering where he would work after the ski season was over so am not bothered that he would go back to Seattle.

ETA: Irlandesa, I love that we both named the newest sequel!

Edited by Crs97
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

At the beginning of the movie, he said he was moving for another job.  Then during the movie we find out that the other job is at the ski resort.  At the end of the movie, he says that they haven't filled his position in Seattle yet so he can go back to it.  Basically, he had his new job for like a week.

But the movie did feel like it was being set up for a One Winter Wedding movie.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

Now I'll share my opinions on Winter Princess.  I lost interest in the story when I heard Natalie Hall's voice.  To me at least, it was like chalk on a blackboard.  I watched it while playing solitaire on my phone.

Thank you! That was my reaction, too! Couldn't take 2 hrs of that one!

2 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

I know that a lot of people love animals (I am one of them), but I don't know how many people are interested in watching the Kitten Bowl, the Cat Bowl and the dog special they've got.

A lot of people do love these and I'm one of them. I couldn't give a rat's ass about Super Bowl or any other ball sport, but I loves me some Kitten and Puppy Bowls thankyouverymuch. They keep expanding the franchise and there's a reason why: ratings and sponsors!

2 hours ago, twoods said:

Yes, it is very good. The two sequels are not as good as the original movie. 

That is true for many of their movies and series. If the first one (or season) is good or interesting or fun, it gets the "Hallmark treatment" (you know what I mean) and spins down into treacly crap with simpering leads (I'm being nice here). It's a pity, but they know their core demographic and I'm definitely not it.

Edited by Ms Lark · Reason: grammar!

7 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

Then again, Hallmark reuses so many of their white actors too.  It seems like they like working with certain people, and it's kind of cool that if they hire somebody and they do good work, with a good attitude and are easy to work with, they are loyal and hire them for other projects.  Rehiring the same actors/actresses is also probably a natural outcome of shooting movies in Canada instead of Hollywood where they have a huge pool of talent to choose from.  They work with a lot of the same leads in different movies, but the actors/actresses who play the secondary characters show up repeatedly in various movies.  I often wonder how many of them live in Canada full time.

In addition to the reasons you list, I'm guessing the fact they use the same casting directors over and over leads to the same actors being cast.  Since everything about the production of these movies seems to be rushed, I am sure they don't spend much time casting the smaller roles so keep reaching out to the actors they have used in the past.  One casting director I looked up on IMDB is Jackie Lind, who has 207 Casting Director credits, mostly Hallmark movies, including over 30 in 2017 alone. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0511208/

• Like 1

I didn't mind the Ruby Herring movie.  I like Taylor Cole because she isn't one of those stick skinny actresses who look like they haven't had a cheeseburger in a few years.  Not that Taylor has a weight problem, far from it, but she looks like a normal, relatable woman.  I had to look up Shawn Christian's age because I also thought he seemed to young to play her father and he is only 19 years older than Taylor Cole.  I couldn't find the age of the actress who played his wife.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

However, one benefit to the heavy animal focus in Unconditional Love Month (February) is that there will be a special showing of Nine Lives of Christmas on February 15th -- and that is a delightful surprise!

What is the Kitten/Cat Bowl?  Is that just a marathon of Hallmark movies that include cats, like Nine Lives of Christmas you mentioned, or is it something else?  I'm also wondering about the dog special you mentioned.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnnaRose said:

What is the Kitten/Cat Bowl?  Is that just a marathon of Hallmark movies that include cats, like Nine Lives of Christmas you mentioned, or is it something else?  I'm also wondering about the dog special you mentioned.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/kitten-bowl-vi

The Puppy Bowl will be on Animal Planet

Both are annual events featuring animals from shelters participating in games (mainly being cute) that air opposite the Super Bowl.  They're pretty cute and totally silly and do an excellent job of reminding people that shelter pets are the best.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

The Cat Bowl is totally new this year, but the Kitten Bowl has been going on for several years. Here is the Cat Bowl page -- http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/cat-bowl

The dog special that I mentioned is the American Rescue Dog Show -- it's going on for two nights in February -- http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/american-rescue-dog-show

Edited by TVFan17 · Reason: corrected name of Dog show!
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

The Cat Bowl is totally new this year, but the Kitten Bowl has been going on for several years. Here is the Cat Bowl page -- http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/cat-bowl

The dog special that I mentioned is the American Dog Rescue Show -- it's going on for two nights in February -- http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/american-rescue-dog-show

Thanks for the info, need to set the DVR!

• Like 1

Regarding A Winter Princess, does anybody recognize if we've seen either the "Aspen" hotel the brother worked at or "Snowden Peak" locations in other movies?  Both looked familiar (and were gorgeous).  I was miserable with a cold this weekend and I think my natural defenses were down because I didn't mind this one.  Natalie Hall kind of grew on me as the movie went on.  She was way OTT Disney princess to start and either she calmed down or I just got used to her because she eventually stopped bugging me.  Lead guy was adorable and yay to no bad guys (a trend I like).  I didn't even mind the Cinderella-blue ballgown at the end (subtle, they are not).  But that Dollar Store tiara and mess they made of her hair were a travesty (hair should have been up).  Oh, and they needed to skip the waltzing, I was suffering secondhand embarrassment for the actors.  The other ladies looked fantastic, though.

And add me to the chorus who really enjoyed Winter Love Story for all the reasons detailed.  Yes, Jen Lilley's character starts off kind of a pill, but I think her natural charm helped offset any sharpness so she came off a lot milder than another actress might have.   Also, how fabulous is Jen Lilley's hair?   Loved her and Kevin McGarry's chemistry and enjoyed the whole road trip aspect.  Sure, at the end she was being a baby leaving during the speech, but there's got to be a bump in there somewhere (it's a rule, it's probably written down somewhere). 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2019 at 5:10 PM, twoods said:

The one other thing that bothered me is something they do in so many of these movies. I know I need to suspend reality for these movies, but I still wish they wouldn't throw in the "I love you"s when there is such a short timeline in the movie. I respect the few movies where you can tell there are deep feelings but the couple only verbalizes a desire to date or deep feelings of like or something after the short time. I could even handle if they said something like, "I'm starting to fall in love with you." But to already be there? Of course there are some examples of whirlwind romances in real life, but those are the exception, not the rule.  

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, JenMD said:

Regarding A Winter Princess, does anybody recognize if we've seen either the "Aspen" hotel the brother worked at or "Snowden Peak" locations in other movies?  Both looked familiar (and were gorgeous).  

I’m not sure about the “Aspen” hotel but “Snowden Peak” was Big White Ski Resort in British Columbia. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JenMD said:

Regarding A Winter Princess, does anybody recognize if we've seen either the "Aspen" hotel the brother worked at or "Snowden Peak" locations in other movies?  Both looked familiar (and were gorgeous).  I was miserable with a cold this weekend and I think my natural defenses were down because I didn't mind this one.  Natalie Hall kind of grew on me as the movie went on.  She was way OTT Disney princess to start and either she calmed down or I just got used to her because she eventually stopped bugging me.  Lead guy was adorable and yay to no bad guys (a trend I like).  I didn't even mind the Cinderella-blue ballgown at the end (subtle, they are not).  But that Dollar Store tiara and mess they made of her hair were a travesty (hair should have been up).  Oh, and they needed to skip the waltzing, I was suffering secondhand embarrassment for the actors.  The other ladies looked fantastic, though.

Forgot the mention her hair. In addition to the hideous blue Cindrella gown her hair should not have been left down with that cheap tiara. They should've done a nice updo. 

14 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

If there is a worse Hallmark movie than The Sweeter Side of Life I can’t name it.

Oh, so much AMEN. I loved Kathryn Morris as Lilly on Cold Case, but romantic comedy is NOT in her wheelhouse. Plus the whole movie was just badly written. And over-directed. And badly acted. And I have never watched a second of it since the first time I saw it a couple of years ago. 

Edited by kirinan
  • Like 1

Strangely, I have never seen The Sweeter Side of Life in its entirety.    I have only seen a couple of scenes from it, and I know that part of it was filmed in Romania -- but the small bit of it that I saw did not rope me into watching the full movie.    From maybe 2010 - 2014, I was only watching Hallmark's Christmas movies, and avoiding most of their non-Christmas movies.    I have since seen a lot of the non-Christmas movies that premiered prior to 2015, of course, but Sweeter Side of Life is not one I have ever wanted to watch from beginning to end.  I mean, who knows?  I might like it, as I like a lot of movies that other people don't like.  But it just doesn't look interesting to me, and never has.

18 hours ago, Woopwoopkitty said:

If there is a worse Hallmark movie than The Sweeter Side of Life I can’t name it.

Help For the Holidays is my vote for worst movie.  It’s shockingly sexist and judges the Mom so harshly.  There’s a scene where she’s rushing through traffic and trying hard to get to her son’s basketball game but misses it.  They are so nasty to her for that meanwhile the Dad who made no effort at all to show up gets no anger from anyone .  Both parents work long hours in their store but the movie treats the mom like the bad guy.  I like the cast but despise the movie.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2019 at 9:10 PM, AnnaRose said:

Don't they shoot a lot of these movies in the Vancouver area?  I think the black population there is about 1 in 100 people... so yeah, I'm not surprised that they have to reuse a lot of the actors.  Same with their background actors... It seems like they have such a tiny number of people of African decent who are available to work as extras, that it can be very noticeable the way they frame each background shot to make sure one such person is included in each camera angle.  There have been times where it seemed like they made such a concerted effort in framing their shots with that objective, that it actually becomes distracting.

I think they put a lot of effort into making their locations look more diverse than the the populations of their filming locations actually are.  The extreme lack of competition must be a goldmine for black actors who live in the area and want to work in the industry.  You should go up there and try to get in some of these films and then report back.  It would be like having a mole on set. :D

Considering that most of these movies are set in Seattle or Seattle-adjacent locations, the demographics are pretty fair.  Setting those Hailey Dean movies in Atlanta?  That's more of a challenge for Hallmark casting people and one they pretty much fail.

I'm constantly remarking to anyone who'll listen that watching these Hallmark movies is like watching old Hollywood movies from the studio era with all the same actors in movie after movie.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Starscream said:

I'm constantly remarking to anyone who'll listen that watching these Hallmark movies is like watching old Hollywood movies from the studio era with all the same actors in movie after movie.

They churn them out as quickly as Old Hollywood did.