Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

I need new shoes for work, and I know exactly what I want. I can't get what I want, though, because Rockport doesn't make that style of oxford for women any more. I can't find what I want in town (I've looked in every shoe store we have), and I'm iffy about buying shoes online without trying them on first. I know there are places with free return shipping, but it's a hassle to have to return something that way. Also, it's hard to tell from pictures exactly how the soles of the shoes look in relation to the rest of the shoe. They all look clunky, but it's hard to tell for sure.

• Like 1

If I see the typed phrase "fine as is" from a copywriter or client rep in response to an editorial correction I make...

When I make a correction, it is typically, you know, correct. If there is a valid reason that "we" are not making said correction to the piece(s) we are working on, one should say something other than the unhelpful and dismissive "fine as is," because if it was fine as is, I would not have marked it up...dicks.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

If I see the typed phrase "fine as is" from a copywriter or client rep in response to an editorial correction I make...

When I make a correction, it is typically, you know, correct. If there is a valid reason that "we" are not making said correction to the piece(s) we are working on, one should say something other than the unhelpful and dismissive "fine as is," because if it was fine as is, I would not have marked it up...dicks.

I do technical document reviews and it drives me nuts when people provide the additional information I've asked for in a comment instead of in the body of the document.  Hello????  You authors do realize that all the comments are removed before the document is sent for final approval, right?

• Like 3

I (or anther editor if I'm not around) have to review it again when a change is made, so the comments are still there (we use a thing called ProofHQ), which is good because should we get dinged for not fixing something, I have proof that I asked if it could be changed. Sometimes there are weird reasons (often client preference) for leaving shit alone, but because editors don't work directly with clients, we are at the mercy of writers or client services to let us know.

The last-straw sentence today was in a convention invitation thing: "Stop by [Client Name] Booth #65," which implies that Client has more than one booth. Also, that "#" is unnecessary.

Edited by TattleTeeny

29 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

The last-straw sentence today was in a convention invitation thing: "Stop by [Client Name] Booth #65," which implies that Client has more than one booth. Also, that "#" is unnecessary.

OK, now I have to know.  We display at conventions and always say stop by our booth #65.  I've never thought anybody would think that we have more than one booth.  What's the proper way to invite someone to a booth?

I would assume that "fine as is" is code for "I'm in charge and I want it left the way I wrote it, whether it's correct or not."

(Sorry, I'm a graphic designer who has worked with lots of persnickety clients, writers, and editors.)

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Katy M said:

OK, now I have to know.  We display at conventions and always say stop by our booth #65.  I've never thought anybody would think that we have more than one booth.  What's the proper way to invite someone to a booth?

Usually, we'd just parenthesize the booth or include the number with the heading that has the dates and times, etc, or recast the sentence so that its format is more like, "Stop by booth 12 and learn more about Client and blah blah blah." Mainly--and I neglected to mention this before--it should match the wording in companion pieces, which this one does not (but, oh, if we miss that, it's suddenly an issue).

I would assume that "fine as is" is code for "I'm in charge and I want it left the way I wrote it, whether it's correct or not."

(Sorry, I'm a graphic designer who has worked with lots of persnickety clients, writers, and editors.)

OH, YES, I GET IT! Some writers feel that every word is spun gold, even when it's not "art," but instead instructional or something that needs to be precise as opposed to entertaining.

4 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

OH, YES, I GET IT! Some writers feel that every word is spun gold, even when it's not "art," but instead instructional or something that needs to be precise as opposed to entertaining.

Then there are the die-hard newspaper types who think AP Style is appropriate for everything, even marketing copy and event invitations.

Today's peeve -- the weather in Central Texas. Specifically today's high in the upper 80s, to be followed early next week by lows in the 40s. No wonder people are getting sick.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

I did my taxes today. I haven't filed though because I owe $1300(!!) in federal and $500 in state taxes. I owe because I didn't withhold taxes when I took distributions from my small IRA, which was formerly my 401(k) from my last job. (No, that wasn't the smartest decision, but I needed the money and hoped I'd have a full-time, decent-paying job by the time I had to file my taxes. FML.) Virtually all of the IRA money was spent on medical needs, so the tax penalty is not as bad as it could be, but considering I made only $2500 last year (started working part-time in October), it still feels pretty crappy that I owe way more than I make in a month.

I'm working like a mule now, so there's that. I just worked seven days straight between my two jobs. It would be great if I made more than $90 a day. I'm so tired.

• Like 2

I'm outside the US and Canada...I'm peeved by geographically restricted videos.

What the fuck, Bravo? It's a stupid trailer for the Real Housewives I want to watch, not footage of secret government experiments. 

SNL's videos on YouTube are also geo-restricted. 

• Like 2

If you have a VPN, you can usually select your virtual location. Most have free trials.

I hate unloading the dishwasher so much that I choose to hand wash dishes instead of dealing with it.

It's only me and there aren't that many dishes, but I don't know why it bugs me so much. Loading the dishwasher is fine.

I'm also fine with doing laundry but hate folding. Right now I have an armful of clean towels that's been dumped on my bedroom chair for three days.

It's something about the putting away of things ...

• Like 6

Unloading the dishwasher was one of my chores as a teen, so I hated it.  But now that I don't have a dishwasher, I greatly look forward to enduring that task again (which won't be until I remodel my kitchen).  Because it has nothing on how much I hate doing dishes.  And, even though it's just me, I cook a lot (and I work out of my home office most of the time, so it's two or occasionally three meals worth of dishes a day), so it adds up.  I can leave the breakfast and/or lunch dishes in the sink for the day, because those meals don't generate a whole lot to wash, but once all the pots, pans, mixing bowls, etc. from dinner are involved, it's a pile that must be washed before I can go to sleep.  So every damn night with the dishes.  I can't wait to be able to just shove them in the dishwasher and go to bed (something I take great joy in doing when I cat-sit at my parents' house).  And I don't like drying them with a towel, so I leave them to air dry in the rack, which means the first thing I have to do in the morning is put them away, because I can't stand clutter on my counters.

Folding/hanging and putting away is where laundry bugs me, too.  I never leave clean laundry sitting out while I procrastinate doing it, but I am notorious for leaving the last load in the dryer to "deal with later" and then forgetting all about it until the next time I do laundry; I wash the first load, open up the dryer to toss it in, and realize, "Dammit!"

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

I have the two cats' dishes, so I refuse to live without a dishwasher. They get clean little plates for every meal. They eat at least three times a day, which means at least six plates. On days I'm off, it's four meals. They're starving, you know.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 1

19 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I have the two cats' dishes, so I refuse to live without a dishwasher. They get clean little plates for every meal. They eat at least three times a day, which means at least six plates. On days I'm off, it's four meals. They're starving, you know.

Cats are well known liars. At least mine are. 😜

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Cats are well known liars. At least mine are. 😜

I had a cat who apparently jumped on top of my book case and knocked it over. Obviously it was a small book case.  I came running in from the other room and she had the audacity to look right at me and say "I didn't do it."  Really? 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 3

6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I had a cat who apparently jumped on top of my book case and knocked it over. Obviously it was a small book case.  I came running in from the other room and she had the audacity to look right at me and say "I didn't do it."  Really? 

My DH feeds the cats before he goes to work in the morning. If I get up late (after he leaves) they throw a fit screaming and yelling "He never fed us, we're staaarving!. Really, we SWEAR!)

• Like 3
  • Laugh 4

I have a HUGE pet peeve today.  Have you ever planned to make a hotel reservation, but, forgot and then when you go to do it, realize the room is now more than double the price it was when you last checked!!!! I'm so ticked at myself.  Now, it's taken all the fun out, because, I'm not going to pay that big price.  No way.....so, my little adventure will be cancelled or curtailed.  Either way, what a bummer.....lol. 

• Like 3

@SunnyBeBe - ugh! That sucks!

My peeve is fruit that looks like it's going to taste amazing and ends up being completely flavorless. That will teach me to buy strawberries in Feb (but this also happened during prime berry season last summer). I miss strawberries fresh off the strawberry farm that I used to buy in CA.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have a HUGE pet peeve today.  Have you ever planned to make a hotel reservation, but, forgot and then when you go to do it, realize the room is now more than double the price it was when you last checked!!!! I'm so ticked at myself.  Now, it's taken all the fun out, because, I'm not going to pay that big price.  No way.....so, my little adventure will be cancelled or curtailed.  Either way, what a bummer.....lol. 

I feel you! I had the same experience while booking high speed train tickets for an Italian trip ;( Also, I hate how, if you check flight prices to somewhere, they get more expensive each time you check.

• Like 1

Things that really frost my cookies.

When I go for my long walks and people just let their dogs run loose all over the place.  I have been chased on more than one occasion, and some of the dog owners have witnessed it and for the most part done nothing about it.  Those that attempt to call their dogs off have no control over their dogs.  The dogs don't heed their owners and keep on charging without looking back.   I ask them to tie up their dogs and they act as if I had peed in their swimming pool.

One of my siblings was bitten a couple of years ago while riding their bike.

People who leave their pets out 24/7 also annoy me.   Being chained up 24/7 in the yard is no way to go through life.

Dogs that bark endlessly and their owners do nothing to stop it.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 5

@icemiser69 - that’s really irresponsible pet ownership. Are there leash laws in your area?    If you can, vrecord the dog roaming free and owner being negligent and send it to animal control.  

I let my dog off leash when I take him on the local green belts where it is common if your dog is not aggressive and doesn’t get snarly with other dogs on the trails.  But otherwise he’s on the leash for both his safety and so other people don’t have to worry about whether the least intimidating looking dog in the world is going to stay that way (he’s a white floofy guy, but he is big).  He wouldn’t hurt anyone, but he’d go charging after squirrels and ducks if he had his way.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

that’s really irresponsible pet ownership. Are there leash laws in your area?    If you can, vrecord the dog roaming free and owner being negligent and send it to animal control.  

Even if there aren't specific leash laws because they're out in the country, or whatever, there are probably laws that cover dogs chasing people when they're on public roads.

And any dog who will run out into the road to chase someone (even if he just wants to play) should not be off-leash for his own safety.  Nobody wants dogs to get hit by cars.  

• Like 3

Dogs that bark endlessly and their owners do nothing to stop it.

I've thought of leaving "doggy obedience school" brochures in the mailbox of a neighbor with a yappy dog, but never have. Don't want to be that passive-agressive neighbor who gets caught on a home security camera! Hee!

• Laugh 1