Betweenyouandme

Pet Peeves

I need new shoes for work, and I know exactly what I want. I can't get what I want, though, because Rockport doesn't make that style of oxford for women any more. I can't find what I want in town (I've looked in every shoe store we have), and I'm iffy about buying shoes online without trying them on first. I know there are places with free return shipping, but it's a hassle to have to return something that way. Also, it's hard to tell from pictures exactly how the soles of the shoes look in relation to the rest of the shoe. They all look clunky, but it's hard to tell for sure.

• Like 1

If I see the typed phrase "fine as is" from a copywriter or client rep in response to an editorial correction I make...

When I make a correction, it is typically, you know, correct. If there is a valid reason that "we" are not making said correction to the piece(s) we are working on, one should say something other than the unhelpful and dismissive "fine as is," because if it was fine as is, I would not have marked it up...dicks.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

If I see the typed phrase "fine as is" from a copywriter or client rep in response to an editorial correction I make...

When I make a correction, it is typically, you know, correct. If there is a valid reason that "we" are not making said correction to the piece(s) we are working on, one should say something other than the unhelpful and dismissive "fine as is," because if it was fine as is, I would not have marked it up...dicks.

I do technical document reviews and it drives me nuts when people provide the additional information I've asked for in a comment instead of in the body of the document.  Hello????  You authors do realize that all the comments are removed before the document is sent for final approval, right?

• Like 3

I (or anther editor if I'm not around) have to review it again when a change is made, so the comments are still there (we use a thing called ProofHQ), which is good because should we get dinged for not fixing something, I have proof that I asked if it could be changed. Sometimes there are weird reasons (often client preference) for leaving shit alone, but because editors don't work directly with clients, we are at the mercy of writers or client services to let us know.

The last-straw sentence today was in a convention invitation thing: "Stop by [Client Name] Booth #65," which implies that Client has more than one booth. Also, that "#" is unnecessary.

Edited by TattleTeeny

29 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

The last-straw sentence today was in a convention invitation thing: "Stop by [Client Name] Booth #65," which implies that Client has more than one booth. Also, that "#" is unnecessary.

OK, now I have to know.  We display at conventions and always say stop by our booth #65.  I've never thought anybody would think that we have more than one booth.  What's the proper way to invite someone to a booth?

I would assume that "fine as is" is code for "I'm in charge and I want it left the way I wrote it, whether it's correct or not."

(Sorry, I'm a graphic designer who has worked with lots of persnickety clients, writers, and editors.)

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Katy M said:

OK, now I have to know.  We display at conventions and always say stop by our booth #65.  I've never thought anybody would think that we have more than one booth.  What's the proper way to invite someone to a booth?

Usually, we'd just parenthesize the booth or include the number with the heading that has the dates and times, etc, or recast the sentence so that its format is more like, "Stop by booth 12 and learn more about Client and blah blah blah." Mainly--and I neglected to mention this before--it should match the wording in companion pieces, which this one does not (but, oh, if we miss that, it's suddenly an issue).

I would assume that "fine as is" is code for "I'm in charge and I want it left the way I wrote it, whether it's correct or not."

(Sorry, I'm a graphic designer who has worked with lots of persnickety clients, writers, and editors.)

OH, YES, I GET IT! Some writers feel that every word is spun gold, even when it's not "art," but instead instructional or something that needs to be precise as opposed to entertaining.

4 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

OH, YES, I GET IT! Some writers feel that every word is spun gold, even when it's not "art," but instead instructional or something that needs to be precise as opposed to entertaining.

Then there are the die-hard newspaper types who think AP Style is appropriate for everything, even marketing copy and event invitations.

Today's peeve -- the weather in Central Texas. Specifically today's high in the upper 80s, to be followed early next week by lows in the 40s. No wonder people are getting sick.

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

I did my taxes today. I haven't filed though because I owe $1300(!!) in federal and $500 in state taxes. I owe because I didn't withhold taxes when I took distributions from my small IRA, which was formerly my 401(k) from my last job. (No, that wasn't the smartest decision, but I needed the money and hoped I'd have a full-time, decent-paying job by the time I had to file my taxes. FML.) Virtually all of the IRA money was spent on medical needs, so the tax penalty is not as bad as it could be, but considering I made only $2500 last year (started working part-time in October), it still feels pretty crappy that I owe way more than I make in a month.

I'm working like a mule now, so there's that. I just worked seven days straight between my two jobs. It would be great if I made more than $90 a day. I'm so tired.

• Like 2

I'm outside the US and Canada...I'm peeved by geographically restricted videos.

What the fuck, Bravo? It's a stupid trailer for the Real Housewives I want to watch, not footage of secret government experiments. 

SNL's videos on YouTube are also geo-restricted. 

• Like 2

If you have a VPN, you can usually select your virtual location. Most have free trials.

I hate unloading the dishwasher so much that I choose to hand wash dishes instead of dealing with it.

It's only me and there aren't that many dishes, but I don't know why it bugs me so much. Loading the dishwasher is fine.

I'm also fine with doing laundry but hate folding. Right now I have an armful of clean towels that's been dumped on my bedroom chair for three days.

It's something about the putting away of things ...

• Like 7

Unloading the dishwasher was one of my chores as a teen, so I hated it.  But now that I don't have a dishwasher, I greatly look forward to enduring that task again (which won't be until I remodel my kitchen).  Because it has nothing on how much I hate doing dishes.  And, even though it's just me, I cook a lot (and I work out of my home office most of the time, so it's two or occasionally three meals worth of dishes a day), so it adds up.  I can leave the breakfast and/or lunch dishes in the sink for the day, because those meals don't generate a whole lot to wash, but once all the pots, pans, mixing bowls, etc. from dinner are involved, it's a pile that must be washed before I can go to sleep.  So every damn night with the dishes.  I can't wait to be able to just shove them in the dishwasher and go to bed (something I take great joy in doing when I cat-sit at my parents' house).  And I don't like drying them with a towel, so I leave them to air dry in the rack, which means the first thing I have to do in the morning is put them away, because I can't stand clutter on my counters.

Folding/hanging and putting away is where laundry bugs me, too.  I never leave clean laundry sitting out while I procrastinate doing it, but I am notorious for leaving the last load in the dryer to "deal with later" and then forgetting all about it until the next time I do laundry; I wash the first load, open up the dryer to toss it in, and realize, "Dammit!"

• Like 4
  • Laugh 1

I have the two cats' dishes, so I refuse to live without a dishwasher. They get clean little plates for every meal. They eat at least three times a day, which means at least six plates. On days I'm off, it's four meals. They're starving, you know.

• Like 7
  • Laugh 2

19 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I have the two cats' dishes, so I refuse to live without a dishwasher. They get clean little plates for every meal. They eat at least three times a day, which means at least six plates. On days I'm off, it's four meals. They're starving, you know.

Cats are well known liars. At least mine are. 😜

• Like 3
  • Laugh 3

9 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Cats are well known liars. At least mine are. 😜

I had a cat who apparently jumped on top of my book case and knocked it over. Obviously it was a small book case.  I came running in from the other room and she had the audacity to look right at me and say "I didn't do it."  Really? 

• Like 2
  • Laugh 3

6 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I had a cat who apparently jumped on top of my book case and knocked it over. Obviously it was a small book case.  I came running in from the other room and she had the audacity to look right at me and say "I didn't do it."  Really? 

My DH feeds the cats before he goes to work in the morning. If I get up late (after he leaves) they throw a fit screaming and yelling "He never fed us, we're staaarving!. Really, we SWEAR!)

• Like 4
  • Laugh 4

I have a HUGE pet peeve today.  Have you ever planned to make a hotel reservation, but, forgot and then when you go to do it, realize the room is now more than double the price it was when you last checked!!!! I'm so ticked at myself.  Now, it's taken all the fun out, because, I'm not going to pay that big price.  No way.....so, my little adventure will be cancelled or curtailed.  Either way, what a bummer.....lol. 

• Like 4

@SunnyBeBe - ugh! That sucks!

My peeve is fruit that looks like it's going to taste amazing and ends up being completely flavorless. That will teach me to buy strawberries in Feb (but this also happened during prime berry season last summer). I miss strawberries fresh off the strawberry farm that I used to buy in CA.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I have a HUGE pet peeve today.  Have you ever planned to make a hotel reservation, but, forgot and then when you go to do it, realize the room is now more than double the price it was when you last checked!!!! I'm so ticked at myself.  Now, it's taken all the fun out, because, I'm not going to pay that big price.  No way.....so, my little adventure will be cancelled or curtailed.  Either way, what a bummer.....lol. 

I feel you! I had the same experience while booking high speed train tickets for an Italian trip ;( Also, I hate how, if you check flight prices to somewhere, they get more expensive each time you check.

• Like 1

Things that really frost my cookies.

When I go for my long walks and people just let their dogs run loose all over the place.  I have been chased on more than one occasion, and some of the dog owners have witnessed it and for the most part done nothing about it.  Those that attempt to call their dogs off have no control over their dogs.  The dogs don't heed their owners and keep on charging without looking back.   I ask them to tie up their dogs and they act as if I had peed in their swimming pool.

One of my siblings was bitten a couple of years ago while riding their bike.

People who leave their pets out 24/7 also annoy me.   Being chained up 24/7 in the yard is no way to go through life.

Dogs that bark endlessly and their owners do nothing to stop it.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 9

@icemiser69 - that’s really irresponsible pet ownership. Are there leash laws in your area?    If you can, vrecord the dog roaming free and owner being negligent and send it to animal control.  

I let my dog off leash when I take him on the local green belts where it is common if your dog is not aggressive and doesn’t get snarly with other dogs on the trails.  But otherwise he’s on the leash for both his safety and so other people don’t have to worry about whether the least intimidating looking dog in the world is going to stay that way (he’s a white floofy guy, but he is big).  He wouldn’t hurt anyone, but he’d go charging after squirrels and ducks if he had his way.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

that’s really irresponsible pet ownership. Are there leash laws in your area?    If you can, vrecord the dog roaming free and owner being negligent and send it to animal control.  

Even if there aren't specific leash laws because they're out in the country, or whatever, there are probably laws that cover dogs chasing people when they're on public roads.

And any dog who will run out into the road to chase someone (even if he just wants to play) should not be off-leash for his own safety.  Nobody wants dogs to get hit by cars.  

• Like 4

Dogs that bark endlessly and their owners do nothing to stop it.

I've thought of leaving "doggy obedience school" brochures in the mailbox of a neighbor with a yappy dog, but never have. Don't want to be that passive-agressive neighbor who gets caught on a home security camera! Hee!

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

My peeve right now is customer service reps who don't know the answer to something, and just make shit up to get you off the phone. I have a flexible spending account through my employer; the FSA card and account are administered by a third party vendor. Most of the time when I use the FSA card, the provider (doctor, pharmacy, etc.) uploads documentation concerning what the card was used for, and I don't have to provide any additional documentation. However, some providers don't do that, and so the website of the third party vendor will notify me that I need to upload a receipt. The easiest type of receipt is an EOB (explanation of benefits) from the health insurance company because it lists all the info required: patient's name, date of service, name of provider, medical codes for the services provided, cost per service, what the insurance plan paid, and the amount that is the patient's responsibility. 

I had an unexpected trip to the ER late last year, and my insurance paid 80% of the charges, leaving me responsible for the other 20%. I had used the FSA card to pay roughly half of the charges, waiting to see what other expenses I might have that would need to go on the card, and then figured I would go ahead and use whatever was left on the card to pay off the rest of the ER bill. So I had previously had to submit a receipt for the first payment to the ER, and the EOB I uploaded was approved with no problem. I had made the final payment about 6 weeks ago, using the FSA card, and then the third party vendor notified me, as expected, that I needed to submit a receipt. So I submitted the exact same EOB I had used for the initial payment. Imagine my surprise when I got notified last week that my receipt had been rejected. 

I called the FSA provider to ask what was going on. The customer service rep put me on hold to research why the receipt was rejected, supposedly consulted with a claims manager, and came back with this answer: The EOB I submitted didn't say "Explanation of Benefits;" it said "Claim Recap" (or something very similar). Customer service rep tells me I need to get an actual EOB from my insurance company. I politely explain that the document I had already uploaded was the only thing available; on the insurance site, when you click the link that says "EOB", the Claim Recap document is what pops up in a PDF. I also politely asked why this was an issue, since the exact same receipt had been approved in late 2018; the answer was that the company has put in stricter rules on receipts effective the first of the new year. Customer service rep tells me I need to talk to a live person at the insurance company and ask for a real EOB, because customer service rep has a real EOB from the same insurance provider right there, and it says "Explanation of Benefits," plus the insurance company's logo is in the upper right corner instead of the upper left corner. 

As directed by the customer service rep, I called my health insurance provider to get a live person, who was seriously taken aback when I explained what the FSA customer service rep had said. Insurance rep says they changed their format of EOBs over a year ago, and replaced the term "Explanation of Benefits" with "Claim Recap" because people kept calling them and asking them what an EOB was. Insurance rep also says they are in the process of rolling out a  new format for the document, and if this FSA site (which is a major national provider of the FSA service) is going to reject receipts because the document doesn't explicitly call itself an EOB, there's the potential for major system problems. So, insurance rep volunteers to do a 3-way call with himself, me, and the FSA provider. Of course, we did not get the same customer service rep I previously had gotten. But I gave a blow-by-blow account of exactly what the previous one had said, using my notes from the call. New customer service rep says my receipt was probably rejected through some kind of system glitch, and he will resubmit it with notes to ensure it gets approved asap. And has never heard of any rule that the receipt must say "Explanation of Benefits." He didn't come right out and say so, but from his tone of voice it was pretty clear that the previous rep was completely clueless about the process and the requirements. By the time all this got resolved, it was nearly 30 minutes of my time, plus the insurance rep's time, plus the second customer service rep's time. 

I understand that sometimes a customer service rep will not know the answer to something and may not be able to find out immediately. But FFS, just tell me you don't know, the person who would  know is temporarily unavailable, and you will call me back once you find out. Don't waste my time spinning some BS story that is not in any way accurate. 

• Like 5

On 2/23/2019 at 12:14 PM, DeLurker said:

@icemiser69 - that’s really irresponsible pet ownership. Are there leash laws in your area?    If you can, vrecord the dog roaming free and owner being negligent and send it to animal control.  

I let my dog off leash when I take him on the local green belts where it is common if your dog is not aggressive and doesn’t get snarly with other dogs on the trails.  But otherwise he’s on the leash for both his safety and so other people don’t have to worry about whether the least intimidating looking dog in the world is going to stay that way (he’s a white floofy guy, but he is big).  He wouldn’t hurt anyone, but he’d go charging after squirrels and ducks if he had his way.

Pull up a chair and sit for a while.   It might take you awhile to read through this.

Sorry, I didn't get back to you sooner.  I was in the hospital for two days and the area I was given to sleep in was the width of a bed plus perhaps a foot or two.  My bed was butted up against the wall so it was even more confining.  I was the one that shifted the bed over so it would butt up against that wall to give myself more room, and some how my area still got smaller. The patient in the bed next to me had more space than I did, and his area kept getting bigger with all his hospital stuff in the way.  The bathroom was so small that I had problems getting myself in there with the iv bottle and still be able to shut the door.  The garbage can wouldn't fit under the sink, so that took up even more space.   A nightmare, I wasn't a happy camper.  I had the room to myself for one day, that is when then they brought in the above patient.  That patient didn't get settled til well past midnight.  It got worse from there.  The patient that was in the bed next to me was a good thirty years older than me.  He had his tv blasting he would just sit there and complain about politics.  I am probably within roughly 3 feet from that bed.    After he shuts the tv off, all night long that patient kept complaining about noise, swearing up a storm (he made more noise than the noise he was hearing) and  the nurse the next  day couldn't figure out why I was so agitated?  All this for one test, because I was bleeding internally.  Then after my test I was told to wait for the results of another blood test.    I wasn't expecting that, so I complained.  I was thinking the squeaky wheel gets the grease,  I had to get out of there.  Some how I ticked off the nurse.   It was just unpleasant all the way around.  I walk a lot.  So, being confined in roughly a 5' by 8' area.  Most of the area taken up by a bed, and a chair at the end of the bed with no place to go in that small of space is something that I didn't handle well at all.  There has to be a place where patient's can go in a more open area and get some fresh air, especially if they're are just waiting for test results.

I don't like to complain, pretty hard to believe it after reading this, huh?

There is no way that I will ever stay in a hospital like that again.   I had lost so much blood and that is why they admitted me.    The doctor was concerned that if the bleeding hadn't stopped and I was still bleeding, I would suffer organ failure.   He was that concerned, my number was really that dangerously low. After hearing that, I had no choice but to allow myself to be admitted.  Otherwise, I could have just had the test on an outpatient basis which is what I wanted, but that test could take several weeks to setup.  If I was admitted to the hospital, that test (a medical procedure to determine what was causing me to bleed) would occur the next day.  I have had stomach trouble since middle school (ulcers) on and off.

I got home and slept 12 hours straight through.  I was so tired.  Plus I hadn't eaten in 49 hours, I had not interest in using the hospital bathroom anymore than I had too, it was like a game of Tetris trying to shift around in there and still being able to shut the bathroom door.   The bathroom is on the other side of that patient.    Even if I wanted to eat, I am a vegetarian, and my definition of vegetarian must be different than theirs.  In the hospital, at best over two days, total combined sleep time was probably an hour.

That hospital room had no business having two beds in it.  That room is too small for that.

You probably didn't need to ready any of that, but I was so frustrated, and I really didn't know I was that claustrophobic until I got there.  Plus I am too independent for that type of confinement.  So I apologize for that.

Yes, there are leash laws.

Granted, the dog isn't very large, but it has teeth, and I don't want to get bitten.  I wouldn't have gotten so annoyed with the lady if she didn't laugh it off.   That woman lives next to a four way intersection that has a bus route.  Why anyone would take their dog outside without a leash, knowing that it could bolt out in to traffic I will never understand    I continued to walk that route several times and again the lady would plop the dog on the ground to do his/her business and he would bolt after me if he saw me.  The lady would apologize from that point forward, but an apology doesn't mean much when the routine doesn't change.  I just shook my head and kept walking

I changed the time I walk over several months.  Then I start walking that original time period one more time and the dog bolted after me again in the early morning still somewhat dark.  This time the woman and her husband were outside, early morning dark not much light from street lamps.  The dog is out in the middle of the road non-stop barking at me,  I practically tripped over the dog. then the woman's  husband walks up behind me and whispers, "I dare you to tell me to tie up my damn dog".  I said nothing and kept on walking.   The only time I said anything was that first time the dog bolted at me 6 months earlier.  So this dude held on to that anger over that length of time?    The dude is well over 6 feet, the couple is clearly retired, but he isn't that old perhaps mid to late fifties, and it is dark out.

I wasn't about to escalate things at all.  I just kept my normal walking route and said nothing.   Some how I have avoided that dog ever since, but there is little doubt that her husband is still holding on to that anger.

Edited by icemiser69 · Reason: Edited for clarity, plus my reading vision is horrible.
  • Sad 7

By the way, when I got home from the hospital my cats didn't know who I was.   It has been twenty hours later and they are still hiding from me.   It wasn't the hospital smell.  I showered and washed my clothes when I got home.  Perhaps I need to adopt a dog. 😄

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Dear 5% of grocery store customers who are assholes:

1) Hang up your phone call or (gasp!) wait to make a call until you are done with your transaction. You are not that important, but you are rude.

2) Do not come into the store to buy your week's worth of groceries at 9:52 when the store closes at 10.

3) NEVER reach over the partition into my area. Do not touch the bags, don't scan your loyalty card, don't scan an item, don't put your or your kids' fingers on the moving belt where they can be pinched. Just stop it all. It's not helpful; it's highly annoying and most of all, it's dangerous.

4) Keep your kids from walking into my station. There are sharp edges and protrusions at their head and eye level. I also need to be able to move. It's not cute; I don't like your kids. Be a parent.

5) We sell probably 200 different kinds of tobacco products. Don't get pissed off if I don't know every kind by heart. Just tell me which kind you want, what the package looks like, and enunciate. I don't know what "Emanmbumenol" is.

6) Don't get pissed off if I automatically, reflexively start bagging because my ESP didn't tell me that you had bags hidden that you brought in, mean lady from the other day. Don't yell at me, "No!" like I'm a dog, instead of saying, "I brought my own bags." Then don't yank the groceries from my hand because you are still pissed about it. Get over yourself.

7) Don't be a huge, gaping asshole and throw down money on the belt and leave with items because you got tired of waiting on another customer's price check. This isn't a general store or a restaurant in a movie. That's not how any of this works. You essentially shoplifted. I hope every single one of your items has a problem with the price the next time you have a transaction.

All that said, 95% of our customers are great. They are kind, "working class" folks who don't act like they are better than me because I'm "serving" them. The rest have been out of control over the past three days. I'd blame a full moon, but there wasn't one.

• Like 13
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 2

I use a grocery pickup service; order online and employees bring it all out to my car.

I can specify whether or not I want substitutions if something is out of stock. I do usually want it but only if the employees use their heads.

Order: liter bottle of Fresca. Seems like a six pack of Fresca would be the logical substitute, but no. Twice they've given me a liter bottle of Sprite. I would have accepted that if it  had at least been diet.

Order: [X] brand jar of spicy salsa. What is the operative descriptor there? Not spicy, apparently, because they selected [X] brand in mild.

Along the same lines, [X] brand barbecue potato chips. They decided [X] brand regular chips would do.

Not to mention the two times I got cucumbers instead of zucchini.

I don't think I'm asking them to be mind-readers here. Isn't it just a bit of common sense?

• Like 8

27 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I don't think I'm asking them to be mind-readers here. Isn't it just a bit of common sense?

I don't know, it seems like a bit of a no-win situation.  The Fresca example is pretty straightforward - same thing in a six pack or two small bottles.  Then again, maybe a customer would be annoyed by the increased cost and would rather have a liter bottle of another soda.

Salsa?  Spicy would be the key for me, too, but taste/quality varies significantly from brand to brand, so maybe I'd rather have the mild version of Brand A than the spicy version of Brand B if I hate Brand B.  (What I'd really prefer is to skip it if they didn't have the spicy kind I liked, but I'll get to that in a minute.)

And there really isn't a substitute for zucchini, except for maybe another type of squash, but different customers would prefer different ones.

Cucumber was fucking dumb, yes, but otherwise I think it is asking for more guessing than the employee should have to undertake.  Rather than a general substitutions yay or nay option (which is what I assumed from your post, but I may be wrong), you should be able to select yes or no for each item, and then have a field to specify what you want instead for those you select substitutions.  So, for example, you could select substitutions okay for the chips, and then in the field say you'd like Brand #2 barbecue or Brand #1 different flavor. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5

My usual shopping time is sunrise on a Saturday, sometimes sunrise on a Sunday. But with the moths and all, I haven't done the shopping in over a week. I'm down to frozen ravioli and 2 eggs. It's going to snow overnight and the roads will be a mess in the morning, so I had to go to the store after work this afternoon. OMG. It's the apocalypse and people just can't face it without their french toast. And none of the people using the self-check knew how to self-check. Now is not the time to puzzle through it. I felt so bad for the guy who had to come over and fix things 3 times for the same dimwit.

And put your fucking phone away and use both hands. Moron. She wasn't even talking on it, just clutching it in one hand while pulling things out of the basket and scanning with one hand.

Edited by ABay
  • Like 5

GAH! I ordered a refill insert from Amazon for the cats' turbo scratcher and the delivery person (Amazon uses their own) didn't leave it at my door yesterday. I have it in my delivery instructions to leave things at my door. Instead, I had an email saying they "attempted delivery". Well, they could've at least left it at the leasing office.

Today I was home all day. I left a note on the door saying to leave the delivery at the door and ring the bell because I'm home. I just got a recorded call saying they attempted delivery. NO, YOU DIDN'T!

Edited by bilgistic
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I use a grocery pickup service; order online and employees bring it all out to my car.

I can specify whether or not I want substitutions if something is out of stock. I do usually want it but only if the employees use their heads.

Order: liter bottle of Fresca. Seems like a six pack of Fresca would be the logical substitute, but no. Twice they've given me a liter bottle of Sprite. I would have accepted that if it  had at least been diet.

Order: [X] brand jar of spicy salsa. What is the operative descriptor there? Not spicy, apparently, because they selected [X] brand in mild.

Along the same lines, [X] brand barbecue potato chips. They decided [X] brand regular chips would do.

Not to mention the two times I got cucumbers instead of zucchini.

I tend to agree with @Bastet  that there is too much variation in substitutions to assume there is an approach that works for the majority of customers.  They can't read minds on whether price, brand, or flavor is the motivator.  Heck, I wouldn't be consistent item to item.

The one I used had notes where you could leave instructions.  I basically did the ordering with substitute vs substitute with a simple note (used sparingly) vs no substitute (because the note I would have to write would make me a total PIA). 

There was one thing that made me nuts.  I thought about leaving a note about it ahead of time but didn't because I thought it would come across as so obvious that I was calling them stupid.  It was expiration dates.  Given the number of items that had the current day as the expiration date they must either not pay attention or the store must instruct them to move the aging inventory.  Its why I only used it once.  I had to bring a bunch of stuff back in to exchange and it put me in a mood.

• Like 2

I get probably an average of two or three Instacart shoppers in my lane daily. Some don't seem to be the brightest bulbs. One guy brings his wife and kid with him to shop, which OK, but that seems distracting? They distract me when I'm trying to complete the transaction because the kid is crawling all over everywhere and they think it's just adorable. It's not.

There are a couple of regular Instacart shoppers that seem to know their stuff. I assume you can keep using the same shopper because one woman gives me the same bagging directions every time (double bag because customer lives upstairs in an apartment).

I've seen only some of them buy our "manager's specials", which is stuff that's going out of date soon, is marked down, and includes meat. I definitely don't think the store has anything to do with Instacart shoppers buying those products. If it were me using the service, I'd instruct the shopper to never buy those items (if there's an option for that). I'd definitely buy them myself, but others blindly buy them for me? No.

My sister uses Walmart's in-house grocery shopping service (she picks it up when it's ready) and loves it. I don't know anything more about it, though.

Edited by bilgistic

4 hours ago, bilgistic said:

7) Don't be a huge, gaping asshole and throw down money on the belt and leave with items because you got tired of waiting on another customer's price check. This isn't a general store or a restaurant in a movie. That's not how any of this works. You essentially shoplifted. I hope every single one of your items has a problem with the price the next time you have a transaction.

The other day in Walgreens, an older man in front of me picked up two Snickers bars, there was a "two-fer" sale. After a few minutes, he put one back and then put the other one, HALF EATEN, down on a pack of gum and WALKED OUT. The woman who had been in front of him turned to me, we were amazed. And disgusted. The clerk called for an employee to come clean up the half-eaten bar. Who in their right mind does that? He was as guilty of shoplifting as if he'd walked out with a still-wrapped bar. (I said "older man" to get across the point that he was definitely old enough to have been taught better. Heck, most toddlers know better.)

I will refrain from sharing a lengthy peeve about the grocery online ordering trend because some of you would be offended and I like y'all.

Edited by forumfish
  • Like 5

47 minutes ago, forumfish said:

The other day in Walgreens, an older man in front of me picked up two Snickers bars, there was a "two-fer" sale. After a few minutes, he put one back and then put the other one, HALF EATEN, down on a pack of gum and WALKED OUT. The woman who had been in front of him turned to me, we were amazed. And disgusted. The clerk called for an employee to come clean up the half-eaten bar. Who in their right mind does that? He was as guilty of shoplifting as if he'd walked out with a still-wrapped bar. (I said "older man" to get across the point that he was definitely old enough to have been taught better. Heck, most toddlers know better.)

WTF!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, forumfish said:

I will refrain from sharing a lengthy peeve about the grocery online ordering trend because some of you would be offended and I like y'all.

Isn't that what we're here for?? Now I'm curious!

The lengthier the better.  :-)

• Like 3

8 hours ago, bilgistic said:

1) Hang up your phone call or (gasp!) wait to make a call until you are done with your transaction. You are not that important, but you are rude.

Seriously. Customers complain all the time about having to wait at the counter while the employee is talking to somebody on the phone, and rightly so. But apparently customers can yak away on their phones while the employee is trying to ring up their stuff, and that's totally okay. 

2) Do not come into the store to buy your week's worth of groceries at 9:52 when the store closes at 10.

Good. Freaking. Lord. THIS. Food, even, I could maybe, maybe understand doing that for, if it were some kind of emergency situation or something.

But I worked in a bookstore and remember having a few customers who came in two minutes before the store closed for the night and decided they needed to find a particular book right then and there (and that was if they remembered the name of the book, which of course, many of them didn't). Really? You can't possibly wait until the next day? 

And I remember when my mom worked at Pier 1, there was one night she actually came home in tears because these two snotty women decided they needed to come into the store a few minutes before it closed for the night...and they started walking around in a way that made it clear that they weren't planning on just a quick browse before leaving. They wound up staying well past the time the store closed, and every time my mom tried to remind them that they needed to, y'know, leave, they got super bitchy and threatened to make a complaint to the higher ups and pretty much made it clear that they were rich and therefore they could do whatever they wanted. They were just flat out beyond rude to her, and thanks to them, my mom was late getting home because she missed the usual bus she took and had to wait for the late one. 

It's just truly amazing. Store hours are posted for a reason, people. Read them. Understand them. Plan accordingly. Those workers want to leave and get home on time, just like everyone else. 

3) NEVER reach over the partition into my area. Do not touch the bags, don't scan your loyalty card, don't scan an item, don't put your or your kids' fingers on the moving belt where they can be pinched. Just stop it all. It's not helpful; it's highly annoying and most of all, it's dangerous.

4) Keep your kids from walking into my station. There are sharp edges and protrusions at their head and eye level. I also need to be able to move. It's not cute; I don't like your kids. Be a parent.

Yes to all of this as well. Another thing with kids, sometimes the parents give them the money to pay for the stuff, and I get they think it's cute and the kids feel all grown up and stuff, but all that usually winds up happening is that it takes longer for the cashier to get everything because the kids are being all goofy and playing around with the cash and stuff. 

3 hours ago, forumfish said:

Okay, what the ever-loving hell?!?! That's disgusting. 

That was another thing that drove me nuts when I worked at the bookstore. The store was in the mall, so sometimes people would bring their drinks and food from the food court area into the store while they browsed.

And sure enough, if I were cleaning the store or going around to put stuff away or whatever, I'd find wrappers and half full cups and whatnot just sitting around on the shelves or on the floor. It was even more infuriating considering there was a trashcan right outside the bookstore, and that trashcan has always been there for as long as I can remember. Yet apparently people just couldn't be bothered to walk the few extra steps to throw their stuff away out there, or even bring it up to the counter and ask us if we had a trashcan we could throw the stuff into (we did). 

I also remember having to scrape some gum off from underneath a bookshelf one day. 

Add me to the list of people who want to hear your rant!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, forumfish said:

Add me to the curiosity list; I don't even use self check-out for a variety of reasons, let alone online ordering (but for this I have no real objections other than control), so I want to hear what irks you about the latter.

Grocery peeves bring me to ...

A while back, I complained about my local Ralphs (Kroger) undergoing renovation that involved moving things around seemingly just for the purpose of moving them around.  I mostly shop at a couple of independent markets, but I read the sale ads at the chains each week and sometimes drop in at Ralphs or Vons if there's a good enough deal on something I want; it's sporadic enough I get easily discombobulated by reconfiguration.  A minor quibble about this renovation was replacing some of the regular checkout lanes with self-checkout lanes.

Well, it turns out they didn't only add more self-checkout lanes, they eliminated the express lanes.  Seriously?  They now have the dubious distinction of being the only grocery store in the area - other food markets whether independent or chain, multi-purpose store with grocery like Smart & Final, etc. - not to offer at least one express lane.  It's now take your chances or use the self-checkout. 

Because I have tremendous flexibility with my schedule and can thus shop at off-peak hours (that plus only occasionally shopping at the chain to begin with is why it took me a while to notice the change), it's usually not an issue, but twice I have been stuck in heavy "traffic" with my little basket.

Thankfully, both times, an employee (who knows - from prior conversations - that one of the reasons I don't use self-checkout is it being designed to replace human workers) has sidled up and offered to do the self-checkout for me, so I don't have to be unreasonably delayed by waiting OR deal with the annoying quirks of this increasingly-inevitable system.

Basically, grocery stores are a minefield of nuisances for everyone involved.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5

My pet peeve right now: 

ANTS

They're everywhere all of a sudden.  on my counters, in the pantry, by the coffee maker, in the sink.  

UGH! 

• Like 5

@tinkerbell, I swear by Terro brand ant poison. When I was living in the South Pacific, the roaches were stomach churning but the pest that annoyed me most were the ants.

6 hours ago, Bastet said:

Well, it turns out they didn't only add more self-checkout lanes, they eliminated the express lanes.

It just occurred to me that the Publix stores near me don't offer self-checkout at all. Maybe because they're a private company partially owned by the employees? Another possibility is that I live in a retirement community and nobody got time for that amount of hand holding.

I always use self-checkout when getting groceries at Walmart, mostly because those 10 machines are all in a corral area next to the doors and it saves me 40 steps of walking. (My anti Fitbit lifestyle at work.) I avoid shopping during busy hours, but there's never a line, there are always 1-3 employees stationed there to help, and it's pretty breezy.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I used to tell people I'd help them when they were off the phone and as a customer I've suggested people hang up the phone when they have trouble completing their transaction. I'm lucky I haven't been murdered for it, really.

In college, many years ago, I was the manager at a Baskin Robbins. I still clearly remember a mom bringing in her two kids, a boy around 8-10 and a toddler girl. The mom was on the phone and clearly told her son to get whatever he wanted. So he ordered a brownie sundae. He ordered something his sister was allergic to and I just remember the mom getting pissed at me for making this 'deluxe' sundae with something the girl was allergic to. She told me I should have checked with her first.

I just looked at her and said something like "ma'am, you clearly told him to order whatever he wanted and were too busy talking on your phone instead of paying attention to stop us before making something you deem excessive with flavors your daughter is allergic to." Of course that pissed her off and she asked for a manager. Oh, that's me! Anyway, one of the boys working ended up eating it, I had to explain that to the manager who saw it on the cameras and we made her something she approved. And her kid was pissed at her. Good.

• Like 5
  • Laugh 3

I had a friend call me one time. I suppose I may have called her.  Either way, I didn't know what she was doing at the time, of course.  Anyway, we're talking for a few minutes and she says to me that the guy at the (I forgot what kind) counter at the grocery store wasn't helping her and I tole her it was probably because she was on the phone.  She asked me if I was telling her to hang up. I said "I don't care what you do, but it's only polite not to be talking on the phone when you want to interact with someone face to face."  

• Like 2

My other cell phone peeve are people who yammer on at the gym.  If your call is that important take it outside, otherwise you're not getting a real workout while talking loudly on with someone who isn't there.. I've also called people out for that by telling them I can hear them over my full blast music and asking them to keep it down.

TL;DR - if your call is that important where you have to be talking to someone while shopping, working out or otherwise in public be aware that you are probably being rude and annoying others. If you're just chatting with a friend call!them!later!

Thank you for listening to my TED talk.

• Like 6

Okay, my reasons for not liking online grocery shopping --

I understand that for people with certain medical conditions (physical or mental), it can be a neccessity. (I might have taken advantage of it after my appendectomy a few years ago had it been available.)

The main reason it bugs me is that I feel eventually it will hurt the store's business. Ordering online and not having to go in the store means a customer is less likely to make impulse buys, which contributes to the store's income.

I'm irritated when I can't park anywhere close to the store entrance because the best spots are reserved for "curb pickup." This doesn't happen at every store, but most I've seen do this. If the point is avoiding getting out of the car and going inside, why does the curbside spot need to be so close to the door? Yes, the store's employees who have to load the purchases have to walk a bit more, but again, from a marketing standpoint, why discourage in-person shoppers by making it more difficult for them to come in?

When I've seen employees filling orders alongside in-person shoppers, the employees use big warehouse carts instead of grocery carts, I assume they are trying to fill more than one order at a time. One day I had to stop in during the after-work busy time (which I try to avoid, being self employed) and the online order fulfillment carts were definitely in the way of a lot of customers.

From a customer standpoint, if I can't see and touch/smell produce, I'm not buying it. I don't trust some highschool clerk to pick out the freshest peppers, squash or peaches.

I guess one reason it bugs me is that I'm old and have never been an early adopter of tech. There is a lot I don't completely trust, like banking or filing taxes online. I'm not a Luddite, I do order items online when they aren't available locally, I just try to use online shopping as the exception, not the rule. I've always been a believer of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should."

Rant over, hope it was entertaining!

• Like 8

3 hours ago, forumfish said:

Rant over, hope it was entertaining!

Thanks and yes! :-)

With regard to a store's profits, I switched my grocery shopping almost exclusively to Walmart when they implemented curbside pickup, so that's a win for them. (Loss for Publix, though.) I also primarily buy Walmart store brands, which I guess are more profitable?

According to my favorite curbside person, they hired 26 new staff members for the department (or existing staff transferred), which seems like a lot of overhead. I'd be sad if the number crunchers ever decide it's no longer worth it. Publix partners with Instacart, but Walmart is the only one that's free.

Other food-related services like Grub Hub or Postmates aren't in this area or I'd probably be all over them, too.

Edited by 2727
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, forumfish said:

From a customer standpoint, if I can't see and touch/smell produce, I'm not buying it. I don't trust some highschool clerk to pick out the freshest peppers, squash or peaches.

The only issue I have is the bolded. This is a common misconception, but the Bureau of Labor Statistics puts the median age of grocery store employees at 34.3. I have found that to be true in the two stores in which I work. Only one teenager (still in high school) works in each store.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

My other cell phone peeve are people who yammer on at the gym.  If your call is that important take it outside, otherwise you're not getting a real workout while talking loudly on with someone who isn't there.. I've also called people out for that by telling them I can hear them over my full blast music and asking them to keep it down.

TL;DR - if your call is that important where you have to be talking to someone while shopping, working out or otherwise in public be aware that you are probably being rude and annoying others. If you're just chatting with a friend call!them!later!

Thank you for listening to my TED talk.

And on the other side of the call, sometimes there's me, on a receiving call, getting a "hello" and then hearing what food the person is ordering or whatever convo they have with the cashier. Super rude. I usually say "let's talk later, when you're free". Some insist that they're free and still continue talking with the cashier ☹️ 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

The only issue I have is the bolded. This is a common misconception, but the Bureau of Labor Statistics puts the median age of grocery store employees at 34.3. I have found that to be true in the two stores in which I work. Only one teenager (still in high school) works in each store.

In my favorite store, when I've needed assistance in the produce section, I have mostly found teens/early 20s. At that age, I had no idea how to tell the difference between almost-ripe and will-go-bad-tomorrow. No offense meant.

This afternoon I went to an art supply store to buy a couple of sheets of oversized, laid-finish paper for a work project. They had rearranged the store since the last time I was in there, and I couldn't find the kind of paper I needed. When I asked the clerk at the desk, she stared blankly and said she didn't know what laid-finish paper was. She turned to her coworker who asked, "rice paper?"

I explained what it was and that I had purchased some there a couple of years ago. I then went to a stationery store, on the off chance that they carried larger sheets. The clerk knew what laid-finish paper is, but sadly their only supplier (in Europe) stopped sending even letter-sized stock. I'll have to print the pattern on plain paper. It will work, it just won't look as good up close.

I then went to Amy's to see if they had a special flavor of ice cream for Texas Independence Day (Happy 183rd Birthday, Texas!). They did have "Texas Butterscotch," but the young people working there had no clue it was Texas Independence Day, or even that it's a real thing. The ice cream was good, though.

I feel old.

• Like 4