radishcake

S26.E12: The Musk Who Fell To Earth

When inventor Elon Musk lands in Springfield, he and Homer become fast friends and revolutionize the town's nuclear plant. But when Musk goes overboard and Mr. Burns wants him removed, Homer must figure out a way to break up with him.

"The eagle is our country's mascot. Fighting him would be like kicking George Washington in his wooden testicles." That whole first act setup resolved itself much quicker than usual. I wonder why they even did it at all? It just gave Elon Musk a way to kill something before he landed. It seemed that his whole reason for coming to Springfield was "because." It's sad that Elon Musk was so dry and monotone that you could've replaced him with a generic character and no one would've noticed. I wished that they would've revealed that he really WAS a robot. That somehow built himself.

I don't know why, I just loved that homer made Elon Musk ride in the backseat. I also love How Burns instantly assumed that Elon Musk's suggestions were "clearly the work of Lenny." Also, total Burns move to assume that he's Henry Ford. And hiring old assassins.

Carl was channeling his inner Cab Calloway during that random song break.

This plot was very random. Nothing much led to anything. There was a bit where Bart activated manual control in a self-driving car (why?), and that whole bit led to nothing.

ETA: What little of what we saw inside of Elon's rocket was great. Lots of cardboard boxes labeled "space stuff," plus he was playing Tapped Out. And he wasn't very far in it.

Edited by Galileo908

ETA: What little of what we saw inside of Elon's rocket was great. Lots of cardboard boxes labeled "space stuff," plus he was playing Tapped Out. And he wasn't very far in it.

Damn, I thought he was spying on Homer/playing back a spy recording of their last brainstorming sessions, but that does sound a bit meta (the playing Tapped Out part). Although, we he just replaying what Homer said to him, for the last time before he left in his spaceship, in his mind?

As with the story, I did like and I think the best scene was:

Smithers: God Lord! Sir do you know who that is? The man who revolutionized the car industry

Mr. Burns: Henry Ford, good to see you. As healthy and vibrant as Detriot itself. 

Smithers: No, sir this is Elon Musk; for some reason he is sharing a console with Homer Simpson

Elon: His mind is as rich as an Italian Wedding Soup. Homer what are you thinking now!

Homer: Pittsburgh 35, Dallas 31

Classical Music plays while Elon envisions

Elon: Pittsburgh Steel, Dallas' Cowboys. Robotic cattle herding! Thank you, Homer!

Hearts coming out of Elon's chest and going towards Homer

Elon: Sorry, that's something I'm working on so I don't have to display facial expression.

Another good scene was seeing Elon Musk all alone in his spaceship, longing to share ideas with Homer.

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Like 2

Smithers: God Lord! Sir do you know who that is? The man who revolutionized the car industry

Mr. Burns: Henry Ford, good to see you. As healthy and vibrant as Detriot itself.

Smithers: No, sir this is Elon Musk; for some reason he is sharing a console with Homer Simpson

Elon: His mind is as rich as an Italian Wedding Soup. Homer what are you thinking now!

Homer: Pittsburgh 35, Dallas 31

Classical Music plays while Elon envisions

Elon: Pittsburgh Steel, Dallas' Cowboys. Robotic cattle herding! Thank you, Homer!

Hearts coming out of Elon's chest and going towards Homer

Elon: Sorry, that's something I'm working on so I don't have to display facial expression.

Yeah, that was probably my favorite part. Also, the music sting that kept playing whenever Elon got an idea made me think of Don Hertzfeldt (I know he uses it in at least one of his works)

• Like 1

Yeah, that was probably my favorite part. Also, the music sting that kept playing whenever Elon got an idea made me think of Don Hertzfeldt (I know he uses it in at least one of his works)

I have heard that music before it was composed by Tchaikovsky and called Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-Flat Minor Op. 23 - Allegro non troppo:

Although, I don't know what music they used while Elon Musk was up in his spaceship, but I think it was a David Bowie song.

Edit: never mind I figure it out, it was Starman by David Bowie:

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Like 2

It probably didn't help that I never heard of Elon Musk. Sorry.

While his name isn't that well known, what he has accomplished you should be familiar with -- PayPal. Tesla Motors. SpaceX.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Like 1

While his name is that well known, what he has accomplished you should be familiar with -- PayPal. Tesla Motors. SpaceX.

Paypal, definitely. Tesla, ehhh. SpaceX, nope.

I actually enjoyed watching Elon Musk as Elon Musk although as someone above pointed out, how great would it have been if he was actually a robot that somehow built itself. Now thanks to the Simpsons whenever I see/hear Elon Musk I'll think of a bald eagle and George Washington's wooden testicles.

And of course Mr. Burns would assume that Elon's suggestions were clearly the work of Lenny. Of course.

Almost forgot this: also loved seeing Elon's capsule jammed with boxes labeled "space stuff" and him playing Tapped Out. Hee!

• Like 1

The Cult of Elon.  Ugh. The man who spent many years telling others how to make cars, and who admitted a few months ago that making cars is hard work

And a little Detroit bashing. Jeez, Simpsons, kinda late to that party.