SilverStormm

Small Talk: Only 2 Ounces Of Commenting Allowed

23 hours ago, Twopper said:

No to the salt, yes to butter and cinnamon.    Sweet potato pie is good, but it is not something I ever have a desire for,

I have never timed any eggs except soft or hard boiled.  I seldom scramble, preferring omelets instead.  Favorite is shrimp and cheese.

I was dark colors separately in woolite for dark clothing or something similar.  It seems to keep the blacks from fading over too many washings.   Also don't dry lint givers with lint receivers.

Congratulations on the weight loss.  Would having your legs waxed work better? 

My biggest issue is my underarms. No way I’m waxing there. Besides, the skin might come off with the hair. 

58 minutes ago, newyawk said:

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but have you guys noticed how badly edited the narration audio is on this show? I noticed it right away because an old job I had involved editing audio soundbites, but I think anyone can notice what's going on here. They are at times splicing parts of different takes together. At other times I think they are cutting out pauses and natural breaks in the person's speaking to save time or make for a more coherent narration, but it isn't done well at all.  A lot of times the narration is choppy, the last half of a sentence starts rightontheendofthelastwordofthefirsthalfofthesentence, and at other times the timbre or pitch of the person's voice just doesn't match from segment to segment in the same piece of narration.  

I feel like applying to TLC for an audio editing job, lol. 

Yes I have! They have scenes were the pounder is talking in what would appear to be a continuous stream but they somehow change outfits mid-sentence or the scene in which they are sitting, etc, changes mid-sentence.

Well, it's one thing to run narration over changing scenes of the same person, that's done all the time on documentary style shows and in news stories.  Are you talking about seeing the narration coming from the person's mouth and then literally showing them still speaking that same narration but in a different outfit or setting? That IS bad!

I can hear their edits without even looking at the screen, lol. 

3 minutes ago, newyawk said:

Well, it's one thing to run narration over changing scenes of the same person, that's done all the time on documentary style shows and in news stories.  Are you talking about seeing the narration coming from the person's mouth and then literally showing them still speaking that same narration but in a different outfit or setting? That IS bad!

I can hear their edits without even looking at the screen, lol. 

Yes that is what I mean, but it was similar to what you described.....they took clips and bits and mashed them together into one continuous sentence. It's weird, but I guess they are just trying to get the meat of it all. And I do get what you mean by the voice completely changing mid sentence.

• Like 1

I imagine that editors have too much work for the number of people that work on these shows, but I have noticed exactly what you mentioned with choppy edits, and audio that is not in sync.

I can't imagine how horrible it must be for the people to review the unedited footage of this show, and trying to get some of the audio to make a coherent story must be tough.   

The poor editors that have to work on the toilet and shower scenes must be so depressed.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I can't imagine how horrible it must be for the people to review the unedited footage of this show, and trying to get some of the audio to make a coherent story must be tough.   

Just editing out the chewing, chomping, smacking and licking of fingers would be really rough.

• Like 2

In one of the Live Chat threads people talked about Instant Pots... well, I just won one in a raffle.  It's a bit hard to wrap my mind around an appliance that can make a soup and bake a cake - but I am looking forward to trying it out.  Maybe I will try to make chicken soup tonight in this machine instead of in my regular enameled soup pot on the stove...

• Like 4

23 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I'm so glad the big reorganization starts Thursday.     If it started Wednesday I would have been seriously sad at missing the epic snark on here.  This week's preview looks wild.  

First thing I checked.

• Like 6

FYI.
TLC later today, 2/15, at 10 AM ET
At 900 pounds Ricky is one of the world's fattest men. Follow Ricky over 3 years as he struggles to find a surgeon willing to take on his case and a way off the island of Guam to get the potentially lifesaving surgery he desperately needs.900 POUND MAN: THE RACE AGAINST TIME

11:00 AM

600 Pound Mom: Race Against Time
(this is Dominique)

4 minutes ago, auntjess said:

FYI.
TLC later today, 2/15, at 10 AM ET
At 900 pounds Ricky is one of the world's fattest men. Follow Ricky over 3 years as he struggles to find a surgeon willing to take on his case and a way off the island of Guam to get the potentially lifesaving surgery he desperately needs.900 POUND MAN: THE RACE AGAINST TIME

11:00 AM

600 Pound Mom: Race Against Time
(this is Dominique)

Did Ricky end up dying after his show aired?

2 minutes ago, Hannah94 said:

Did Ricky end up dying after his show aired?

Ricky died, and his death was covered in the show.  His funeral was shown, and his draped body was on a catafalque, because there was no coffin big enough.
A lot of people, especially the doctor from Australia, tried to help him, but neither he nor his wife seemed to try, or appreciate what was done.

22 minutes ago, auntjess said:

Ricky died, and his death was covered in the show.  His funeral was shown, and his draped body was on a catafalque, because there was no coffin big enough.
A lot of people, especially the doctor from Australia, tried to help him, but neither he nor his wife seemed to try, or appreciate what was done.

Oh wow, I didn't see the show yet. I had read on some other threads about a guy in Guam. Sad that he didn't choose to help himself.

19 hours ago, Hannah94 said:

Oh wow, I didn't see the show yet. I had read on some other threads about a guy in Guam. Sad that he didn't choose to help himself.

I didn't mean to spoil it for you, sorry.  By your question, I thought you'd watched as much of the show as you could take, and turned it ofd.

I didn't mean to spoil it for you, sorry.  By your question, I thought you'd watched as much of the show as you could take, and turned it ofd.

Don't apologize, it's fine! Thanks for the heads up because I probably won't watch it now - too depressing!

2 hours ago, Hannah94 said:

Don't apologize, it's fine! Thanks for the heads up because I probably won't watch it now - too depressing!

Actually, the way he acted, and his wife too, you didn't feel that sorry for them.
Here is the link for the topic for the show.

Actually, the way he acted, and his wife too, you didn't feel that sorry for them.
Here is the link for the topic for the show.

Oh my, looks like we've got another James K and gf Lisa....

• Like 1

Can someone remind me the name of the patient who did pretty well and had boyfriend who was supportive?  They went out on the town at the end of the show and she asked him to get her sugar free hot chocolate.  She was wearing a white fur cape. 

29 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Can someone remind me the name of the patient who did pretty well and had boyfriend who was supportive?  They went out on the town at the end of the show and she asked him to get her sugar free hot chocolate.  She was wearing a white fur cape. 

I think that is Alicia. 

18 minutes ago, Hannah94 said:

29 is so young 😞 but to be honest, I am surprised he made it this long. Didn't he reach 1,000 pounds (or very close at least)? I imagine we should be hearing about James K any day now.

Yep, astonishingly that was Sean who blew up to a whopping 1,003 pounds. After he and Mommy Dearest had their initial appointment with Dr. Now, they were sent home with a diet and instructions on how to implement it. I can't remember what goal Dr. Now set for him but he and mom returned two months later and he had gained 84 pounds in that time up from an initial 919 pounds to reach 1,003.

As for James K, I wonder if he is even remotely aware that three subjects in this show have died in the last several months due to complications associated with their obesity? James is like a rancid, humongous version of the Energizer Bunny: he just keeps going and going and going............

• Like 4

I am reposting three posts here, as requested, that originally appeared earlier today in the Sean's Story topic. 

The first one is pretty self-explanatory:

Meaning no disrespect to anyone here, but I just wanted to clarify that all of the five subjects from this show that died did not die because of their weight.

• Sean Milliken, Lisa Fleming and, Robert Buchel all died of complications due to their continued super morbid obesity;
  • Henry Foote (I have seen the spelling of his last name as Foots as well) sadly died in a traffic accident after he lost 500 pounds, down from an original weight of 750 pounds. He was an absolute success story, getting married to the love of his life and said he just wanted to celebrate each day joyfully; an absolute sweet heart of a man;
  • L.B. Bonner committed suicide. There has never been anything written about his weight having anything to do with that tragedy. Weight loss wise, he was another success story who didn't even let the loss of a leg stop him. What was so sad was that he seemed to be on his way to a bright future before he took his life. A really lovely man.

I kept seeing all five of these individuals being grouped together and it just didn't seem fair that Henry Foote and L.B. Bonner--both weight loss success stories--being mentioned in league with the other, unfortunately, weight loss failures.

• Like 2

This post is the second one made in response to a comment that the deaths of Henry Foote and L.B. Bonner could have been related to their weight issues:

Yes, there are many reasons people commit suicide. However, I am speaking of documented reasons for their deaths and I simply haven't read or heard anything that specifies that either Henry Foote or L.B. Bonner died specifically because of anything to do with their weight loss.

Henry Foote lost and maintained his weight loss of 500 pounds over a seven year period. He died many months after having an unfortunate traffic apparently for reasons unrelated to that  accident long after his surgery and weight loss and, let's face it, people of all sizes die in traffic accidents every day, but I would definitely be interested in any documented information that his death was directly related to his weight loss history.

All of the reports I've read about L.B. Bonner's suicide contain a lot of speculations but even his own loved ones had no answers and, as far as I know, he left no suicide note.

I think it's really just a quirk of human nature to find one major thing a group of people have in common and then conflate them. Reminds me of a real pet peeve of mine when some doctors see an overweight patient for the first time and don't bother to be as thorough with them as a normal weight patient. Everything is assumed to be weight related, especially when it comes to women. ***steps off soapbox*** ☺

Edited by DC Gal in VA · Reason: Clarifications.

Here's the last one obviously in response to an observation by Pounder Pal aliya (hope to see you later tonight on the Live Chat!):

Hi aliya. I hadn't read anything about Henry having a heart attack. What I have read is that he lost control of the bus shuttle he was driving and that witnesses said that appeared to have passed out right before the accident. Additionally, from what I've read, there was a lot of speculation about what may have caused this and that the authorities in Houston said that the accident was still under investigation. Here's a link to one of the stories, reported in 2012, about that incident:

https://www.click2houston.com/news/shuttle-bus-crash-victim-identified

If you or anyone else has a more recent report, please share.

******* End of original post *******

New stuff: I found out some new info, at least new to me, on Henry Foote. His accident occurred on November 28, 2012 but he did not pass away until May 16, 2013. From what I found, the family stated that he died of an illness unrelated to his weight loss journey. Gee, it seems like I need to morph into my favorite real from detective, Lt. Joe Kenda when it comes to Henry! 😊

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DC Gal in VA said:

Here's the last one obviously in response to an observation by Pounder Pal aliya (hope to see you later tonight on the Live Chat!):

Hi aliya. I hadn't read anything about Henry having a heart attack. What I have read is that he lost control of the bus shuttle he was driving and that witnesses said that appeared to have passed out right before the accident. Additionally, from what I've read, there was a lot of speculation about what may have caused this and that the authorities in Houston said that the accident was still under investigation. Here's a link to one of the stories, reported in 2012, about that incident:

https://www.click2houston.com/news/shuttle-bus-crash-victim-identified

If you or anyone else has a more recent report, please share.

******* End of original post *******

New stuff: I found out some new info, at least new to me, on Henry Foote. His accident occurred on November 28, 2012 but he did not pass away until May 16, 2013. From what I found, the family stated that he died of an illness unrelated to his weight loss journey. Gee, it seems like I need to morph into my favorite real from detective, Lt. Joe Kenda when it comes to Henry! 😊

We all loved Henry. 

Over the years, I've discovered that internet forum comments are used to produce internet blog posts, articles for random websites,  studies, etc., that have been accepted as being so well reseached to be ...published....... when they appear online. And the students are then treated as such.

Many of our comments come from repeated troll like posts.  Consider who you are responding to in these outlier attacks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

We all loved Henry. 

Over the years, I've discovered that internet forum comments are used to produce internet blog posts, articles for random websites,  studies, etc., that have been accepted as being so well reseached to be ...published....... when they appear online. And the students are then treated as such.

Many of our comments come from repeated troll like posts.  Consider who you are responding to in these outlier attacks.

Absolutely ITA fonfereksglen, that's why I always strive to be careful about what sources I believe. For instance, when it comes to the death of Lisa Fleming, many so-called news sources have simply quoted or re-post her daughter's explanation that her body was tired and just gave out which is not exactly a credible cause of death. Like I said before, I'm rather particular when it comes to the facts about anything.

Edited by DC Gal in VA · Reason: Bleeping autocorrect.
  • Like 1