radishcake

S26.E10: The Man Who Came to Be Dinner

During a trip to "Dizzneeland" the Simpsons board the wrong ride, Rocket To Your Doom, and are transported through the galaxy to Kang and Kodos' home planet, where they are held captive at the local zoo and the inhabitants decide to eat Homer.

That couch gag was great, that's totally like Homer to change the channel on artwork.

Loved the riffs on Disneyland, they nailed every part of modern day Disney so well (like how expensive and crowded everything is). They even covered Disney's assimilation of Star Wars. There weren't even that many rehashes of Itchy & Scratchyland, either.

Was not amused by the rehash on the "Homer eats chips in space" bit. But I would've complained if the chips weren't ruffled.

I love how Homer's list of Earth's greatest accomplishments include free refills and moon rocks.

David Mirkin explained over Twitter why the episode was held over for so long: they tried to retool this into a second Simpsons movie. It seems to not have worked out since we're seeing it now. And I'll admit, this episode really could have benefited from a longer runtime, this one lost steam once the family got abducted. Every single beat was so predictable, and most of those beats were not even funny. I really wish that Rigellian that looked like Lisa had more significance (but I bet in an expanded version she would have).

The dullness of this one baffled me, especially since the episode suddenly turned into Star Trek at the end, and that part was fantastic. Although Futurama did it first, their version of the Star Trek credits was great. They even had Burns as that alien at the end (which Futurama did with Kif)

ETA: Speaking of Futurama, I realize why this plot was so dull: That show did that one SO much better with "The Problem with Popplers."

Edited by Galileo908
  • Like 1

And I'll admit, this episode really could have benefited from a longer runtime, this one lost steam once the family got abducted. Every single beat was so predictable, and most of those beats were not even funny.

Ain't that the truth.  Once they left the Earth, I didn't even get a mild chuckle out of it.

I did like them taking potshots at Diznee buying Cosmic Wars.

The dullness of this one baffled me, especially since the episode suddenly turned into Star Trek at the end, and that part was fantastic.

Yeah, that was a left turn that came out of nowhere and just seemed shoved into the episode.  Though I did love the end credits.

• Like 1

Yeah this ep was pretty much a big WTF for me. The start with DizneeLand was OK, but not great; too many jokes and not enough framework I think.

Once they got to the Alien Abduction story arc, it dived into WTFness and never came back out. I was alternating between boredom and wondering what the point of it was. The jokes fell flat for the most part, and there didn't seem to be much payoff in the end. 

Frankly, with the Star Trek homage clipshow at the end, I think I would have rather watched THAT than the Rigel 7 story line. 

This was partly intended to be The Simpsons Movie 2? Yikes! That was a disaster avoided IMO. Kang and Kodos are better as the Treehouse of Horror characters and NOT in the mainline story IMO. (Ok I can give them a pass for Futurama visits, but that's it)

As someone who has had to go to Disney World every year (to support someone else's athletic endeavors) for the past like five years the way this ep showcased how expensive and crowded DizzneeLand is was spot on, as well Dizznee's assimilation of Cosmic Wars. LOL I immediately thought (paraphrased) "now remember, we're parked in the Itchy lot" when Marge pointed out where they parked the car; I say that to my boyfriend each and every time we park somewhere at Disney World.

Having said that I really wanted to like the family's abduction to Rigel 7 but for the most part almost everything in that SL fell flat for me. Once Homer started eating the ruffled chips in zero gravity I thought "soooo...is this entire SL going to rehash other Simpsons' episodes??"

I did enjoy the Star Trek homage at the end and especially seeing Springfielders as Star Trek characters. I actually cackled at the Crazy Cat Lady's cats being the Tribbles and Lenny and Carl as those ST aliens that were black and white mirror images of each other.

Edited by Kaboom 2.0
  • Like 1

Well that happened.  Sigh, I remember when the SImpsons was a realistic show about an average family, not that much different than a live-action sitcom.

Part of me wonders if the writers came up with the Star Trek credit idea (or stole the idea from the Star Trek Futurama episode) and then realized they'd need to actually write an episode to support the credits gag.  The credits were hilarious, but were also the best part of the episode, which is kind of bad actually.

ETA:  I Just watched the episode where Homer was an astronaut and they used the exact same music in the potato chip scene.  Wow, that's even lazier of the writers than I originally thought.  Boo-urns!

Edited by futurechemist
  • Like 1

I want those end credits as a calendar or some other type of art that I can hang on my wall. I had to rewind and pause to check out Barney with Patty and Selma as Mudd.  Heh.

• Like 2

I love how Homer's list of Earth's greatest accomplishments include free refills and moon rocks.

Don't forget Grindr...we must never forget that...

I Just watched the episode where Homer was an astronaut and they used the exact same music in the potato chip scene.  Wow, that's even lazier of the writers than I originally thought.  Boo-urns!

I didn't think that was lazy, I thought that was a great call-back to a great episode.  Like was mentioned previously, we all know it was more dangerous b/c they had ridges...lol

So the premise of this episode was originally going to be the plot of the Simpsons Movie 2?  They dodged a bullet there, and I think that's a good thing and shows that writers/creators realized that it wouldn't have worked, whereas I could see other animated programs just going for it, even though the plot is flimsy and burns out really early for a feature length movie.

Don't forget Grindr...we must never forget that...

Heh.  That made me laugh.

Also funny from the same scene was main alien lady saying something to Homer along the lines of "those are truly wonderful accomplishments" and then hearing somebody chime in with "did we hear the same thing?"

Based on the production code, this episode should have been shown back towards the end of Season 24/start of Season 25, so it was held back nearly 18 months per @Galileo908's note upthread about the delay based on what David Mirkin said on Twitter.

This episode did not fit in the Simpsons sphere so a big fail for me. Only thing that could have saved it if professor frink was somehow involved or it was a crystal ball seeing into the future sort of plot like they have done in the past, or the obligatory "it was only a dream". This episode was the worst I've ever seen. Sad part is the beginning was hilarious.

Yeah a trailer reset-button wrap up would have been better here. Show Lisa or Homer waking up and the old "To serve Man" twilight zone ep on the TV (implying it was all a dream) would have been perfect here (and a tie back to the THOH). This was so unSimpsony, that it's one of the few times I wouldn't mind a reset button and/or Dream episode.

• Like 1