OnceSane

S18.E10: #HappyHolograms

Still burning over Ike calling him a Grandpa, Kyle teams up with some heavy hitters in the entertainment industry to create the most extravagant televised Holiday Spectacular ever. He's sure that this event will be just the thing to bring families together again. Meanwhile, multiple holograms are still on the loose in South Park.

Even though I should've expected it, I was shocked to see that Hologram Robin Williams was added to the "Washington Redskins Go Fuck Yourself Holiday Special" (great callback to boot). Speaking of which, I loved how the livetweet bar at the bottom of the screen was nothing but hatetweets for CartmanBrah. (ETA: did anyone else notice "@cockmagic4life?")

At first I shuddered at Iggy Azalea with Elvis. Then I was horrified at Kurt Cobain singing into a shotgun. But then none of that beat the horror of Cosby singing "Baby It's Cold Outside." This show continues to amaze me with that.

So...what gets rid of PewDiePie? Then again, we in the real world are still trying to figure that out. And here I was expecting Mr. Hankey to save the day.

Edited by Galileo908

Anybody else feel that the focus was scattered? Or maybe it's because I was expecting Mr. Hankey and I got PewDiePie instead. Or maybe I'm a Grandpa, unable to deal with the rampaging continuity.

ETA: Seriously, this PewDiePie is a big deal? Then again, I'm the one that watches abridged versions of anime, so who am I to judge?

I think all the mass confusion was Trey & Matt pretty much saying "we painted ourselves into a corner here, so we're just gonna bombard you with everything at once."

• Like 2

Anybody else feel that the focus was scattered? Or maybe it's because I was expecting Mr. Hankey and I got PewDiePie instead. Or maybe I'm a Grandpa, unable to deal with the rampaging continuity.

ETA: Seriously, this PewDiePie is a big deal? Then again, I'm the one that watches abridged versions of anime, so who am I to judge?

No, scattered is a good word.  It was a mess and I was surprised we didn't get a Randy as Lorde resolution.  But it was fun nonetheless.

I kept expecting them to summon Mr. Hankey at the end.

Cartman going "Transcendence" had me laughing.

Edited by benteen

Apparently his You Tube Channel has over 6.6 billion views and he has 32 million subscribers.  Really.

I kept expecting them to summon Mr. Hankey at the end.

You and Kyle both. He looked legit surprised when PewDiePie showed up.

Seriously, what's the lesson for the episode/season? That Cartman doesn't care if he get bad attention? We already knew that.

One reason to rewatch: check out the Twitter handles. Lots of references dropped from past seasons. Also, notice how Angelina Jolie is scratching herself, like she did at the end of "Lice Capades."

I think the lesson of the season is that there are a lot of things that push us apart and make us suspicious of each other, and thus spend less time together, but at the end of the day, we can all agree that "Customer Service" has no idea what's going on.  And don't underestimate the lengths Cartman will go to to get his own bathroom!

• Like 2

Well I apologize for any concerns I had that they would drop the ball in part 2. The climax may not have been particularly brilliant, but it was definitely a culmination. I only regret they couldn't work in Handicars.  (Or they did and I missed it.)

Speaking of which, I loved how the livetweet bar at the bottom of the screen was nothing but hatetweets for CartmanBrah. (ETA: did anyone else notice "@cockmagic4life?")

The livetweet bar was FILLED with references.  Beside cockmagic4life, there was glutenKillz and cisginger, and then a bunch of older references like ShakeWeightFan, stepOneUnderPants, and cheezedOut.  Plus there were jokes in the actual tweets like "too soon" during the Cosby bit.

Last I saw he makes over $7 million a year via YouTube, making him the highest paid channel on there.  So that's a genuine big deal, though not the kind of money other mediums make.

Edited by Amarsir

#iamsoconfused

I was trying to understand the REAL message behind this episode but am coming up with nothing. Usually it's pretty clear what they are trying to really say about something, but this one was really, really weird and messy, and it was kind of a cop-out to have the characters repeating how confused they were to make it seem like they were doing it on purpose.

Wouldn't watch this episode again, barely finished it as it was.

I think they were saying that people watch tv and interact differently nowadays and that's the new paradigm. I don't live tweet, for example, but I get why people might enjoy that. I don't necessarily think it's isolating. 

I wanted the episode to be more about Randy/Lorde. 

The Tupac/Michael Jackson just capping the producer in the background on tv was pretty dark but funny to me. 

It doesn't really make sense in the context of a 2-parter. There was no conclusion to Lorde or the holograms, unless killing a producer we'd barely met is supposed to count as closure. The problem of not getting Pewdiepie was eclipsed by Cartman so the original problem would be the solution. We had no idea how Shelley ended up feeling about Randy/Lorde, since that was played as a joke. (Albeit a decent one.)

However, this entire season most of us have been cheering the inter-episode continuity and hoping for more. And there's no question they went over-the-top on that. So as a season-ender I was entertained by that, even if it doesn't relly function as an episode.

WOW.  You have to hand it to Trey and Matt for cramming all those pop culture references along with almost every storyline they've used this season: Bill Cosby, the police shooting/choking, that Johnny Depp movie Transcendence, and even a reference to the late Robin Williams as a hologram.  I let out a sigh of relief when Hologram Kurt Cobain just shot out a Christmas sign out of his rifle, but yeesh.  I shudder to think what they might have done with Robin Williams.

All in all, the continuity was interesting this season.  Definitely the standout episodes were Handicar, the virtual reality episode, and of course The Magic Bush.

I'm wondering if the episode wasn't scattered on purpose as a way to show how our attention is all over the place. I mean, I'm watching Sleepy Hollow, typing this, and eating. 

• Like 1

I feel like a "grandpa" er, I guess "grandma" because each season I become more and more disconnected with the episodes. I don't really keep up with pop culture stuff, so I had no idea about PewDiePie, I don't know who Lorde is, I don't know about freemium stuff or this hologram thing. The last thing I "got" was the Game of Thrones parody only after I decided to give the series a watch.

I still find it funny for what it is, but maybe I'm getting too old for this show. Sigh.

WOW.  You have to hand it to Trey and Matt for cramming all those pop culture references along with almost every storyline they've used this season: Bill Cosby, the police shooting/choking, that Johnny Depp movie Transcendence, and even a reference to the late Robin Williams as a hologram.  I let out a sigh of relief when Hologram Kurt Cobain just shot out a Christmas sign out of his rifle, but yeesh.  I shudder to think what they might have done with Robin Williams.

Thinking about it now, I guess the show being a mess WAS the point. They were making fun of how all these shows now are not greenlit for any other reason than being something that people will talk about in social media, leading to pointless integration and general messes of shows making it to air ('Eaten Alive' anyone?) The proof was in the pudding by the way all the hashtags on this episode began trending around the U.S. So yes, the idea that it's not about the content anymore but the discussion, as someone put it. This was the real version of the Go F*ck Yourself Christmas Special.

• Like 2

I feel like a "grandpa" er, I guess "grandma" because each season I become more and more disconnected with the episodes. I don't really keep up with pop culture stuff, so I had no idea about PewDiePie, I don't know who Lorde is, I don't know about freemium stuff or this hologram thing. The last thing I "got" was the Game of Thrones parody only after I decided to give the series a watch.

I still find it funny for what it is, but maybe I'm getting too old for this show. Sigh.

Maybe the show's keeping you young by filling you in on all these references.

I still love this show and am not among those who think the later seasons are all inferior to the earlier ones (some of the later seasons are actually among my very favorites), but this season was pretty hit and miss for me. Like many of you, I loved the effort to continue certain storylines beyond just one or even two episodes, but the actual execution was lacking to me. I stopped finding the Randy/Lorde stuff interesting and funny after the first time it popped up.