WendyCR72

What New Foods Have You Tried?: Like It? Hate It? Share Here!

40 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Try it in cookies - it makes them sort of butterscotchy.

While I was Googling how to make browned butter I found a site on how to use it, and they mentioned cookies.

Edited by chessiegal

On 9/22/2018 at 3:26 AM, HunterHunted said:

I'm really really lactose intolerant and the Green Giant versions have a lot of milk in them. They gave me stomach cramps for days.

Were they not labeled?

1 hour ago, Brookside said:

Were they not labeled?

They probably were, but I didn't think to look and I had a coupon. However even after eating a small amount, I was kind of surprised by how much they affected me. That tells me that milk is probably the chief binder.

I feel like Kroger has been crushing it on their private brands for a while now.  They have had some interesting kettle and ripple chip flavors, like Smoked Gouda, Carolina Barbecue-and they've all been really tasty!

I just tried their Moroccan style barbecue sauce and it.is.the.bomb.  They also have a Thai inspired one and a few others.  They're in a glass jar, in the barbecue sauce section.  I keep buying them in multiples (i'm single) because I'm terrified they'll get discontinued.  I'm sure I could come up with a recipe, the ingredients statement is pretty basic, nothing weird, but seriously-so good!!  I recommend sauteeing some onions and braising chicken thighs in them, then making a bowl with Garam masala seasoned carrots & sweet potatoes.  Maybe some farro or couscous.  

• Like 2

Got these at Sam’s Club the other day. They are so good. They’re in irregular shapes so I just eat one clump for a slightly sweet treat after lunch. I could devour the entire bag but am trying to show restraint knowing that next Thursday will be ugly diet-wise.

1C196E28-BE8B-435C-A959-C05686801DF0.jpeg

• Like 2

We had a regular salad the other week, but it’s how the lady dressed it was unusual to me. She took a packet of Italian (Good Seasonings) dressing mix and sprinkled it on the salad and then squeezed a lime over it. Tossed and served. The flavor was a little strong, and it was somewhat salty. Usually I see this stuff put in a bottle with oil and vinegar, shaken and served. Interesting. 

It's only recently I've tried fried chicken and waffles and it's a rather intriguing mix of fried with sugary opulence- not unlike bacon with syrup. BTW, since the topic got mentioned in the Commercials That Make You Scratch your head, this is as good a place as any to mention that it's only in recent years that any restaurants in my Southeastern US city have offered it- as it is NOT either traditional meat-and-three/ soul food (those cuisines are virtually identical for good reason). It seems that fried chicken and waffles were first concocted by Harlem musicians in the late 1920's/ early 1930's who had rehearsed/played far too late for supper but too early for breakfast AND liked their traditional Southern fried chicken (since they'd mostly emigrated from the US Southeast) yet also had learned to like waffles which then  were almost exclusively a Northern breakfast item. Anyway, someone got the idea to have BOTH together at the same time in the wee hours ( e.g. from 4AM to 6AM) so they could sup/breakfast and it became a Harlem fave for decades but it's only been in recent years that it spread to other parts of the US!

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Blergh said:

It's only recently I've tried fried chicken and waffles and it's a rather intriguing mix of fried with sugary opulence- not unlike bacon with syrup. BTW, since the topic got mentioned in the Commercials That Make You Scratch your head, this is as good a place as any to mention that it's only in recent years that any restaurants in my Southeastern US city have offered it- as it is NOT either traditional meat-and-three/ soul food (those cuisines are virtually identical for good reason). It seems that fried chicken and waffles were first concocted by Harlem musicians in the late 1920's/ early 1930's who had rehearsed/played far too late for supper but too early for breakfast AND liked their traditional Southern fried chicken (since they'd mostly emigrated from the US Southeast) yet also had learned to like waffles which then  were almost exclusively a Northern breakfast item. Anyway, someone got the idea to have BOTH together at the same time in the wee hours ( e.g. from 4AM to 6AM) so they could sup/breakfast and it became a Harlem fave for decades but it's only been in recent years that it spread to other parts of the US!

There’s a place near me that serves chicken and waffles on Wednesday nights for $1.95. It’s a whole waffle (covers a plate) and half a chicken breast. They couple it with $5 glasses of wine...and not the cheapest stuff. Obviously it’s very popular, but the best part is what’s next door. A free Bluegrass jam. You can gave a great night out for $10. (I’m in the south). 

P.S. Thank you for the history of this great combination. 

Edited by Mindthinkr · Reason: Added a P.S.
  • Like 3

They sell/sold it at the Motown Cafe restaurants; I once had it at the restaurant they used to have in Las Vegas; Grand Lux Cafe, a sister restaurant to Cheesecake Factory, also sells it—but they make it with chicken strips/fingers instead of pieces like breasts, legs, etc (which I think is a cop out). I think IHOP also has it & makes it with strips. 

KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) has it through the end of the year. They have it as the original chicken & waffles or a piece of chicken between 2 waffles “sandwich”. The KFC website says you can get either version of chicken & waffles with Original Recipe chicken too; the linked article doesn’t mention that.

On 11/24/2018 at 9:54 AM, Blergh said:

There used to be a place, Lucky J, that had locations in Austin and the Hamptons. It didn't have the most successful execution of either the chicken or the waffle, but it had my favorite taste variation: fried chicken, waffle, bacon, swiss cheese, hot sauce, and maple syrup. I suppose you could substitute hot honey or a spicy maple syrup for that last two ingredients, but I did like how the vinegar in the hot sauce cut through the fatty richness of the dish.

There is another place near me that's known for their waffle sandwiches.

https://www.wildchixwaffles.com

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Like 2

I never liked sweet mixing with my fried chicken.  I'd tried chicken and waffles a couple of times and...eh.  However, I was in NY in August and went to Spoonfed on 51st street and...wow!  I now "get" chicken and waffles.  It was spectacular!!  As was the rest of the food there.  And the service is so welcoming.  So if you're in NY for brunch, check it out.  Or for any other meal - it's just that they only serve chicken and waffles for brunch. 

• Like 1

Chicken and waffles was never a concept I "got".  I was encouraged (read bullied) into trying it a few times and I was never enlightened.  But I do "get" how some places do such a good job that the appeal is suddenly realized.

On 11/24/2018 at 7:54 AM, Blergh said:

it became a Harlem fave for decades but it's only been in recent years that it spread to other parts of the US!

Yes to originating in Harlem, but it has also been in Los Angeles for a very long time, not just in recent years -- Roscoe's House of Chicken & Waffles (founded by a Harlem native) has been doing big business here for over 40 years, and there have been several other options for at least twenty.  Roscoe's is an institution, and whenever anyone is skeptical about the combination, I take them there - if you don't like it there, you won't like it anywhere* - and almost everyone loves it, while no one has disliked it yet (just a "sure, tasty, but I don't get the hoopla" reaction). 

*We have enough other restaurants serving it that local publications have "best chicken & waffles in L.A." lists, but Roscoe's is king.

I'm in the "really good when I'm in the mood for it, but that's maybe once a year" camp. 

Edited by Bastet

6 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I’ve been to Roscoe’s in Pasadena, so I’m probably in the group who won’t like it anywhere.

I've never been to that one - I'm iffy on satellite locations in general when it comes to restaurants - but I'm sure it's close enough to the original that, yep, you're just not into it.

I bought some Panera Baked Potato soup at a grocery store since I’ve had, and liked it, in the restaurant.  It was incredibly bland and disappointing.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2018 at 4:46 PM, DeLurker said:

I bought some Panera Baked Potato soup at a grocery store since I’ve had, and liked it, in the restaurant.  It was incredibly bland and disappointing.

In that same vein. I bought their grocery store mac n cheese which I love in the restaurant and it was so wet and overly cheesy that I was disappointed I wasted the money. I also tried their store version of the tortilla soup and it was overly bean-y (so many beans - it was more beans than broth!) and tasted nothing like the store. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mishy said:

In that same vein. I bought their grocery store mac n cheese which I love in the restaurant and it was so wet and overly cheesy that I was disappointed I wasted the money. I also tried their store version of the tortilla soup and it was overly bean-y (so many beans - it was more beans than broth!) and tasted nothing like the store. 

Same for the broccoli cheese soup . And worse- I live alone and got it at Sam’s (the 2 bucks off sale or whatever got me) so I wasted a ton of it. 

However anytime something is described as “overly cheesy” my ears perk up so maybe I should give the mac a go in a normal persons serving. I’ve never had the real at Panera to compare. 

I used to go to Panera a lot and do the pick two. Then when it became like tiers of pick two they’d say “that will be 10.75 (with water)” and while I’m not a huge eater often wondered if I could say “please sir, I want some more”.

• Like 1

Coconut sugar.  The first bag I bought “just to try” based upon something someone said here and someone else said someplace else.  I just bought my second bag, so I guess it’s a pantry keeper.

• Like 2

On 12/7/2018 at 5:57 PM, KnoxForPres said:

However anytime something is described as “overly cheesy” my ears perk up so maybe I should give the mac a go in a normal persons serving. I’ve never had the real at Panera to compare. 

It was overly wet/loose and maybe I read that as overly cheesy and it's not like that in the restaurant. In the restaurant it's just nice and creamy but this was very gloopy and wet for some reason. But perhaps it won't turn you off like it did me because I am used to the restaurant version and you haven't it before.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:46 PM, DeLurker said:

I got Panera lemon chicken soup at the grocery store and there were very few pieces of chicken. My favorite store does their own soup to go and I prefer it to Panera.

In the last 5+ years, new (to me) apple varieties keep showing up in my grocery stores and I feel obligated to give each of them a try. 

Yesterday I found Autumn Glory and Evercrisps. 

Evercrisps seemed very similar to Honey Crisp apples (very popular in casa DeLurker) so that one will be bought again. 

Autumn Glory was the most unapple like apple I've ever tasted, although I did like it very much.  The packing box said stuff about notes of cinnamon and a caramel like taste.  It was nice and firm, although not necessarily crisp.  I wonder how it would hold up in baking?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

In the last 5+ years, new (to me) apple varieties keep showing up in my grocery stores and I feel obligated to give each of them a try. 

Yesterday I found Autumn Glory and Evercrisps. 

Evercrisps seemed very similar to Honey Crisp apples (very popular in casa DeLurker) so that one will be bought again. 

Autumn Glory was the most unapple like apple I've ever tasted, although I did like it very much.  The packing box said stuff about notes of cinnamon and a caramel like taste.  It was nice and firm, although not necessarily crisp.  I wonder how it would hold up in baking?

On a recent Martha Bakes episode, she had an apple orchard guy on who is working to save a bunch of heirloom varieties that have kind of gone under the radar or almost lost completely.  It makes me wonder if your 2 new ones are one of the ones he saved!  Bonus points that he looked like Johnny Appleseed's long lost grandson, lol.

I love Honeycrisp.  I don't care what they cost.  They are unparalleled.  I made Ina Garten's mile high apple pie with them, and I called it the $20 apple pie, haha.  But that's what it cost.  (It was delicious, BTW).

• Like 2

If you like peaches, try “ PF Flamin’ Fury 17”.  Freestone, born and bred in SW Michigan and amazing.  They keep wonderfully in the fridge, great for pies, and freeze well too, for winter peach eating.  (Yes, I am eating some right now.)

From USA TodayM&M’s Introduces New Flavors, Candy Bars

The story is from last fall (I think). I’m posting now because the candy bars are/should be out now. There are 5 flavors: Milk Chocolate, Peanut, Crispy, Almond & Crispy Mint. All are milk chocolate bars with M&M Minis. I bought 3 single bars (1 each of the Milk Chocolate, Crispy, & Crispy Mint) through Amazon & got them last week but I haven’t tried them yet.

I doubt I’ll try any of the new M&M flavors. None of them really appeal to me; especially not the Chocolate Hazelnut flavor & the 1 with jalapeño, the name of which I’ve forgotten already.

I tried the wavy Pringles in the regular flavor.  Seemed less salty than regular Pringles (which I quite liked) and not oily like most regular wavy chips.  The texture seemed wrong though.

I’d eat them if they were around, but wouldn’t choose them over the original style.

I would try the English toffee peanut and maybe the Thai coconut peanut. I'm not a huge M&M fan (the only one i like is peanut). After trying the Hershey and Reese's bar I think I'll pass on the candy bars. 

I think I would like to try the hazelnut flavor, but in the end I'll probably just stick with regular M&M's. I like Nutella a lot, though, and one of my favorite chocolates ever is Fazer Geisha chocolates.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 6:44 PM, EllieH said:

I tried a sample of Chocolate Mint Hummus at the grocery store, it was.... something....

I would suggest skipping it.

Ummm, whoever thought of that has weird tastebuds...

5 hours ago, DarkRaichu said:

I am hopelessly addicted to Cocoa Dusted Almonds from Costco / Kirkland.  :P

Trader Joe's once had those, too. I was heartbroken when they were discontinued. But it's probably just as well. No more temptation to eat an entire plastic tubful!

• Like 1

My grocery store offered a free Larabar. I chose a chocolate chip and something flavor. I'd say I got exactly what I paid for it. I'm not sure I'd get another one even if it was offered for free.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 4:59 PM, chessiegal said:

My grocery store offered a free Larabar. I chose a chocolate chip and something flavor. I'd say I got exactly what I paid for it. I'm not sure I'd get another one even if it was offered for free.

Giant Food, right?  I got one too (peanut butter/chocolate) and had the same reaction.  Blech.

10 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Giant Food, right?  I got one too (peanut butter/chocolate) and had the same reaction.  Blech.

Yes. I've gotten some decent items on their "Free Friday" but this wasn't one of them.

I have kefir, yogurt, Kerrygold cheese, and three types of vegan milk in my fridge right now. Living the life!

Anyway today I tried Planet Oat extra creamy unsweetened plain oat milk after suddenly realizing Shop-Rite now has a million different types of oat milk out of nowhere. I guess it's a trend now or something? This brand apparently was just launched a few days ago by the Hood milk company (yay dairy companies getting into the plant game). I think I have had oat milk before, but it was years ago. I should have been having oat milk this whole time! It's really good. It has a creamy, nutty, starchy taste...if you've ever had rice milk it's pretty similar but thicker consistency. Another great thing is that it's high in calories (120 cals per cup, 90 for the non "extra creamy" version). Nut milks have hardly any calories and are just basically for putting in tea or recipes.

Am I allowed to put oat milk in my oatmeal, or...?

Also tried Silk unsweetened vanilla soy milk today. I get the plain unsweetened all the time but decided to try the vanilla. It was pretty much as you would expect. Will probably be good in oatmeal or with my chicory coffee substitute.

The interesting thing is companies really try to get plant-based meat substitutes to taste like meat, but they don't care at all about getting plant milks to taste like milk. The reason probably being that plant milk on its own tastes wayyyyy better than milk. I've always been really grossed out by milk for some reason, like the taste and smell of it, even though I love yogurt and like cheese. I was drinking plant milk for years long before I ever went vegetarian.

On 1/31/2019 at 4:59 PM, chessiegal said:

Larabars are annoying because they would be so much better taste and digestibility wise if they just blended the nuts into a nut butter.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2019 at 11:18 AM, PRgal said:

Ummm, whoever thought of that has weird tastebuds...

I actually enjoy chocolate hummus (haven't tried the chocolate mint). It's like a healthier chocolate pudding. I think a lot of people automatically dismiss the dessert hummuses because they expect hummus to be savory and have garlic and so on. But chickpeas, tahini, and oil don't really taste like much so they are a good base for many flavors.

6 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

I have kefir, yogurt, Kerrygold cheese, and three types of vegan milk in my fridge right now. Living the life!

Anyway today I tried Planet Oat extra creamy unsweetened plain oat milk after suddenly realizing Shop-Rite now has a million different types of oat milk out of nowhere. I guess it's a trend now or something? This brand apparently was just launched a few days ago by the Hood milk company (yay dairy companies getting into the plant game). I think I have had oat milk before, but it was years ago. I should have been having oat milk this whole time! It's really good. It has a creamy, nutty, starchy taste...if you've ever had rice milk it's pretty similar but thicker consistency. Another great thing is that it's high in calories (120 cals per cup, 90 for the non "extra creamy" version). Nut milks have hardly any calories and are just basically for putting in tea or recipes.

Am I allowed to put oat milk in my oatmeal, or...?

Also tried Silk unsweetened vanilla soy milk today. I get the plain unsweetened all the time but decided to try the vanilla. It was pretty much as you would expect. Will probably be good in oatmeal or with my chicory coffee substitute.

The interesting thing is companies really try to get plant-based meat substitutes to taste like meat, but they don't care at all about getting plant milks to taste like milk. The reason probably being that plant milk on its own tastes wayyyyy better than milk. I've always been really grossed out by milk for some reason, like the taste and smell of it, even though I love yogurt and like cheese. I was drinking plant milk for years long before I ever went vegetarian.

Larabars are annoying because they would be so much better taste and digestibility wise if they just blended the nuts into a nut butter.

I agree that the nut milks taste way better on their own.  I'm not a vegetarian and I try to eat very little dairy (I am obsessed with skin care and dairy is TERRIBLE for that).  I think coconut or almond milk yogurts are actually really  yummy, and lend themselves well to that application as well.  I use dairy when needed in recipes, etc, but if I'm sauteeing something, it's olive oil; my coffee creamer is almond milk, etc.  

I've hated milk since I was a kid.  We actually had REAL milk, like from a cow, when I was really young.  I disliked it because it was a little yellow and it was super rich.  Kids are so stupid, right?  LOL.  It still cracks me up how great I had it and didn't appreciate it at all!!  

I like to use unsweetened non-dairy milks in making my overnight oatmeal so that I can control the sweetness level and flavor.  But I do love the chocolate coconut milk with oats and bananas.  I wake up excited for breakfast when I make that!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, larapu2000 said:

I agree that the nut milks taste way better on their own.  I'm not a vegetarian and I try to eat very little dairy (I am obsessed with skin care and dairy is TERRIBLE for that).  I think coconut or almond milk yogurts are actually really  yummy, and lend themselves well to that application as well.  I use dairy when needed in recipes, etc, but if I'm sauteeing something, it's olive oil; my coffee creamer is almond milk, etc.  

I've hated milk since I was a kid.  We actually had REAL milk, like from a cow, when I was really young.  I disliked it because it was a little yellow and it was super rich.  Kids are so stupid, right?  LOL.  It still cracks me up how great I had it and didn't appreciate it at all!!  

I like to use unsweetened non-dairy milks in making my overnight oatmeal so that I can control the sweetness level and flavor.  But I do love the chocolate coconut milk with oats and bananas.  I wake up excited for breakfast when I make that!

Unfortunately stores in my area need to stock more unsweetened vegan yogurt. The vegan yogurts they have are all full of sugar. They do have this one unsweetened cashew milk yogurt which is good, but it's expensive so I have only bought it once. The So Delicious brand also has unsweetened coconut milk yogurt that has really good reviews, but none of the stores in my area have it :( I also love putting plant milk in oatmeal, overnight or otherwise, and I just put some frozen berries or bananas and cacao powder and/or vanilla extract in there for flavoring.

It's probably for the best you didn't drink raw milk anyway. Maybe your body was telling you something!

2 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

It's probably for the best you didn't drink raw milk anyway. Maybe your body was telling you something!

We had a pasteurizer, so it wasn't raw milk!

• Like 1

Coke just introduced (or is just about to introduce) Orange Vanilla Coca-Cola & Coke Zero Sugar. The Today show’s Kathie Lee Gifford & Hoda Kotb tried it on Friday’s show. They were confused by the taste and didn’t seem to like it—Ms. Gifford even reminding that Vanilla Coke was a previous flavor bust (I thought that tasted like somebody dumped a powder compact in a Coke)—but their opinions don’t necessarily mean that much, or are accurate. I like that orange vanilla flavor combo, so I’m hoping it’s better than plain Vanilla Coke was—but because of that flavor being so bad I’m not holding out much hope for the new flavor. I wish they’d just bring back Coke Lime, or Lime Coke (whichever way the name went)!

23 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

I wish they’d just bring back Coke Lime, or Lime Coke (whichever way the name went)!

YES! Even remember them using a riff of that song "Lime in the Coconut" in the commercials for it. (I do like the California Raspberry Coke out now. The Peach Coke was fine but I tasted little "Coke" in that; that tasted more like Snapple Peach Iced Tea, honestly. And I like Cherry Coke.) 

I agree that Vanilla Coke tasted horrendous. Although someone somewhere must still make it as I see it sold on Amazon.

• Like 1

Coca-Cola reintroduced Vanilla Coke in the U.S. in 2007 (according to Wikipedia). It may not be common, but it's there. It's also on Coke's website.

4 hours ago, auntlada said:

Coca-Cola reintroduced Vanilla Coke in the U.S. in 2007 (according to Wikipedia). It may not be common, but it's there. It's also on Coke's website.

We were talking about bringing back Lime flavored Coke. I think I knew the Vanilla had been brought back; it can stay gone, as far as I’m concerned.

7 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

We were talking about bringing back Lime flavored Coke. I think I knew the Vanilla had been brought back; it can stay gone, as far as I’m concerned.

I'm aware of the talk about lime Coke. The tenor of the conversation, however, seemed to me to imply a belief that Coca-Cola no longer made vanilla Coke. (Personally, I like the vanilla Coke, although not as much as cherry, and I hated the lime.)

I like Vanilla Coke and hated Lime Coke - it tasted like Furniture Polish Coke.

Vanilla Coke is sold in cans (12 packs) at all the grocery stores I frequent.  

Last winter, I think it was winter, I tried Pepsi Fire which was a cinnamon flavor.  I didn’t make it past a few sips - it was horrendous.

I don't drink soda any more, but if they brought back lemon flavored Pepsi (Pepsi Twist?) I would absolutely make an exception. I loved that. 

Lime Pepsi and Coke both tasted like floor cleaner.

35 minutes ago, janestclair said:

I don't drink soda any more, but if they brought back lemon flavored Pepsi (Pepsi Twist?) I would absolutely make an exception. I loved that. 

Lime Pepsi and Coke both tasted like floor cleaner.

Coke and Pepsi in general taste like floor cleaner to me. I don't know why people like it so much.