BatmanBeatles

The Simpsons Made Me Do It: Moments That Influence Everyday Life

Every time I have to drag the trash cans to the curb, I say Homer's garbage rant from "Trash of the Titans" in my head:

"Stupid trash, rotten, stinky, hate world, revenge soon, take out on everyone. Eeeewww, garbage water! *shakes fist at sky* You're pushing me, baby!"

• Like 3

I say that every time my cat meows in my face.  Also, I will never not say "Or-eh-GA-no? What the hell?" when cooking.  (I use oregano a lot, too.) My kids are affectionately (and sometimes not-so-affectionately) called "my damn wiener kids."

• Like 3

I almost always refer to Massachusetts as Taxachusetts. 

And the longer I live in New York, the more I realize that I should be so lucky to live under Taxachusetts tax laws.  Which is sadly taking some of the fun out of it for me.

It's amazing how often in real life "Simpsons did it" is appropriate.  There was something in the news a few weeks ago that made me think that (too bad I can't remember it), and I could never take that sci-fi drama The Dome seriously.

In tribute to the late Wes Craven, when I see a Freddy Krueger movie, I can't stop seeing the image of him singing "Springfield Blows."

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1

Every time I see a friend from high school that has gotten (surgically) bustier since then (which, come to think about it, is more than I would've assumed), I always think ""Wow! Look at those magumbos!".

• Like 2

I'm clicking off the choices for my benefits open enrollment here.

Is there ANYBODY who gets to Dental and doesn't have Lenny's voice in his or her head saying "Dental Plan!" and then Marge right behind it with "Lisa needs Braces!"

• Like 3

I just saw The Force Awakens over the weekend and in the

final scene where Rey hands Luke his lightstaber

, was I the only one that had Mark Hamill singing "Luke be a jedi tonight" in my head?

• Like 1

In Ontario they recently changed the laws so grocery stores are allowed to sell beer. Yesterday I was shopping and a woman behind me at the cashier was buying nothing but a 6 pack of Coors light and a bag of Skittles.

• Like 1

I just saw The Force Awakens over the weekend and ....was I the only one that had Mark Hamill singing "Luke be a jedi tonight" in my head?

I feel shame now that I wasn't doing that myself.  I did keep hoping in all the scenes they showed on the news where people were waiting online outside the theatre, that someone would walk by and say "Wow, what an ending! Who would have thought Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker’s father!” 

Whenever I am in a grocery store and there are several lines, I look for a line with mostly men and try to steer clear of lines with older people (and people with a bunch of kids from my own personal experience). Sad but true and it works more often than not.  

Apu: Mrs. Simpson, the express line is the fastest line not always.
That old man up front, he is starved for attention. He will talk
the cashier’s head off.
Apu: Let’s go to…that line.
Marge: But that’s the longest.
Apu: Yes, but look: all pathetic single men. Only cash, no chitchat.

Worst. episode. ever. Is used regularly in my house.

Sometimes when I see an item with a Made in America label I go "Made in America?! No thank you."

Whenever I go to Crossfit: Don't make me run. I'm full of chocolate. 

When I host a dinner party or any family event and am preparing a salad, I chant: You don't win friends with salad. You don't win friends with salad.

Edited by islandgal140
  • Like 1

I feel shame now that I wasn't doing that myself.  I did keep hoping in all the scenes they showed on the news where people were waiting online outside the theatre, that someone would walk by and say "Wow, what an ending! Who would have thought Darth Vader was Luke Skywalker’s father!” 

I, and this is a true story, recapped that scene to my children as we left the theater and put it in the context of what happened in the movie we just saw and how we could ruin it for people just like Homer did.

Sportsnet Stats pointed out on twitter yesterday that after yesterday's Hall of Fame voting, Ken Griffey Jr. joins Wade Boggs & Ozzie Smith from Springfield Nuclear Power Plant softball roster to make the Hall of Fame.  

I kept thinking that its great that he made the HOF after he got addicted to nerve tonic and developed extreme gigantism. 

• Like 3

Last night at trivia, the question was who were the two Republicans that ran against Bill Clinton.  I had a total brain freeze on Bob Dole and when I was reminded of the answer, my first response was The Simpsons!  How could I forget that from the Simpsons. 

I recently found myself telling yet another story that tied directly back to a coworker who happens to share quite a bit of my attitudes on life and is also awfully easy on the eyes.

In my head: "Mindy has a motorcycle!"

I'm going to hell for this, but when the news about the flint drinking water came out, I said "If it's brown, drink it down. If it's black, send it back."

I am going right with you because after reading an article about how fucked the town is and how much it would cost to actually fix the water system, I am wondering if they should just consider Plan B, you know moving the whole city 5 miles down the road.

For years I've bought books Everyone Must Read (like Crime and Punishment) and put them in a pile to read later. Later has finally arrived,and I'm reading the Iliad. The only problem is that I read all of Nestor's dialogue in Abe Simpson's voice. (Nestor is the wise old warrior that gives advise by telling rambling stories from when he was young).

• Like 2

I live in Northern Virginia and there is a Congresswoman running for re-election who I normally I would want to lose since she's a Republican.  But the Metro union seems to hate her so I'm on her side on that fight.  It basically comes down to "I Don't Agree with His Bart-Killing Policy, but I Do Approve of His Selma-Killing Policy". Thankfully she's in another district so I don't actually have to decide between Sideshow Bob and Mayor Quimby.

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Like 1

BatmanBeatles, my boyfriend actually said that quote over the weekend! He injured himself and has not run in a month, he said if he doesn't heal soon and get back to running he's going to have to resort to washing himself like that due to weight gain. 

No matter who wins this mess of a presidential election tomorrow I totally expect to hear Sideshow Bob's fantastic, villainous extended-version laugh when he's declared the winner of Springfield's mayoral election oh so many seasons ago in my head. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2016 at 11:01 AM, M. Darcy said:

It basically comes down to "I Don't Agree with His Bart-Killing Policy, but I Do Approve of His Selma-Killing Policy".

This was just on the other day, and I chuckled at that line. Still funny.

Apparently according to the most recent census the city i live in has grown a lot since the previous on. So the the headline in the local free paper was: City on the Grow.

Since we are about to go from Winter Wonderland to a Class 3 Kill Storm, thinking of Kent Brockman with the picture of an angry snowman brandishing an ice pick above him yelling "Damn you snow!!"

• Like 1

Since I'm looking up information on my dental plan, of course going through my mind right now is "dental plan/Lisa needs braces" over and over.

• Like 1

I was at a local thrift store on the weekend, and in the glassware section I saw a comemorative glass for the 1982 world's fair, in Knoxville, Tennessee. I almost bought it. I totally would have if there was a picture of the Sunsphere on it.

The Simpsons came in handy at trivia last night.  They asked about a reclusive author that wrote The Crying of Lot 49...and I knew it from his Simpsons appearance.  

And, they asked what TV founding father said "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man".  I really wanted to answer Hans Sprungfeld but thought better of it.  

I've heard "Dirty Deeds" on the radio several times in the last few weeks, and having heard The Simpsons version before hearing the real version, I keep getting "Kindly deeds done for free" stuck in my head.

• Like 2

The word for Friday 11/17 on my word of the day calendar was "gourmand". 

Thank you Homer for teaching me that one about 25 years ago. 

Edited by JTMacc99