OnceSane

S18.E09: #REHASH

Kyle can't figure out why Ike and his friends want to watch people comment on things going on around them rather than experience it for themselves. Meanwhile, the Marsh family needs money after Stan spent it all on freemium games, so Randy is forced to perform live to bring in some cash.

"What's a PewDiePie?" Cartman becomes the ultimate Let's Player: He's doing a Let's Play on life. I thought the fourth wall breaking on him at the end was fantastic.

So..just about ALL of the running gags came into play tonight. Gluten, Lorde, Canada, Cock Magic, Freemium gaming. Hell, Michael Jackson came back in hologram form!

Hologram Tupac being sent after Hologram MJ? Gold.Sharon sleeping with hologram Tupac? Also gold.

Man, can't wait for next week.

LOL on Tupac being the first hologram.  So true.

Loved that all the storylines this year are coming together in an epic two-parter.  Can't wait for next week.

I love South Park commenting on this.  It's like people who go to concerts and events and spend the whole time filming it.  I think Louie CK had a bit on that.  Why the hell do they go to those events and spend the entire time filming in on their tiny phones?

That was weird. And off-putting. Or maybe I'm being a fuddy-duddy like Kyle and Stan. Next week's finale should be interesting, or it could be a car accident waiting to happen.

• Like 1

That was weird. And off-putting. Or maybe I'm being a fuddy-duddy like Kyle and Stan. Next week's finale should be interesting, or it could be a car accident waiting to happen.

I know what you mean. South Park has done other buildups where the ending turned out to be ... fine, but not as clever as the multiple threads would have implied. I like how they're keeping up with season continuity, but I'm not getting myself psyched for a big tie-it-all-together conclusion.

Yay, more continuity!  And I had a feeling this season would end with another two parter.

The thing about commentary being bigger than the actual entertainment is so true.  Just look at us: we all come here to read everyone else's thoughts about a show.  That's funny and scary at the same time.

• Like 4

^Which I don't really think is a problem. It's not like I don't watch a show and only go to online to talk about it. I don't think live tweeting during a show is that big of a deal. However, I do agree with their point that the commentary is bigger than the quality of the entertainment is true, and very true of current pop stars. 

I would have liked to see more Randy/Lorde at the concert jawing with the other stars than with the kids because I think the first two scenes of them + Cartman's thing got the point across. I think the Wendy Williams show wasn't really necessary.

The whole hologram subplot is great. The entire Randy plots this season has been some of their best stuff. 

So everyone in the family knows Randy is Lorde but the sister?

I was a little disappointed that Mr. Garrison seemed to be erasing actual biology information from the board. I miss the days when we glimpsed his lesson plans and they were all about The Facts Of Life or something else ridiculous.

Edited by Amarsir

What happen to Mr. Garrison actually? He only seem to be getting few sentences lately.. I miss the days when he was part of the story major. To much Randy centric these days. I actually can seen Mr. Garrison being Lorde instead of Randy ya know?

• Like 1

I for one thought we got a little burnt out on Garrison plots back then, so I think it's kinda refreshing that another character took his place.

That being said, I miss Chef. Both as Isaac Hayes and for being the only person in South Park that had some semblance of sanity. He was always the guy the kids went to for advice, and now they have no one. These days the only "sane" characters seem to be Sharon and Mrs. Cartman.

• Like 2

I for one thought we got a little burnt out on Garrison plots back then, so I think it's kinda refreshing that another character took his place.

That being said, I miss Chef. Both as Isaac Hayes and for being the only person in South Park that had some semblance of sanity. He was always the guy the kids went to for advice, and now they have no one. These days the only "sane" characters seem to be Sharon and Mrs. Cartman.

And the occasional Mimsy as the voice of reason...

• Like 1

This episode was kind of slow, not too many funny moments--a lot of repetition of the same joke without any variety.

I wonder if these final episodes will be Kyle's version of "You're Getting Old." The living room scene where he gets disillusioned kind of had that same serious tone.

I might be the minority but I found this ep to be borning. Ironic as it is I thought cartman was just rehasing humor. Come on! This is cartman! He needs to be more evil then a floating screen effect from Superman.

I think I damn near died from Sharon muttering "whatever keeps you from doing cock magic."  It was just muttered so low, but it was so freaking funny to me.  That, and the line reading from Stan on "Why did you rub your clit?"  And Randy's defenses of his bad behavior always kill me - his defense of "Someone told me to!" reminded me of his defense on saying the N-word "Well, what was I supposed to do, it was for $20,000!  Stan, remember, Daddy only said that word because he thought he was going to win money!"