radishcake

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

I was born an Army brat.  My father got out of the military not too long after I was born, but he had a touch of The Great Santini about him; part of his time in service had been as a drill sergeant, and it took him a while to shake that loose - one of the reasons why to this day I respond as quickly to my last name as I do my first, because when I was in trouble I got addressed by surname at something in the neighborhood of 130 dB or so.

Anyway - the earliest bonding experience I remember with my father?  Him spending a few afternoons teaching me the proper way to throw a bayonet.  By the time we were done I could sink a bayonet into a tree better than an inch deep from an 8-10’ range or so, about three different ways.  I was 5 at the time.  That was kinda our relationship’s version of playing “catch”.  🙂

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

6 hours ago, Nashville said:

I was born an Army brat.  My father got out of the military not too long after I was born, but he had a touch of The Great Santini about him; part of his time in service had been as a drill sergeant, and it took him a while to shake that loose - one of the reasons why to this day I respond as quickly to my last name as I do my first, because when I was in trouble I got addressed by surname at something in the neighborhood of 130 dB or so.

Anyway - the earliest bonding experience I remember with my father?  Him spending a few afternoons teaching me the proper way to throw a bayonet.  By the time we were done I could sink a bayonet into a tree better than an inch deep from an 8-10’ range or so, about three different ways.  I was 5 at the time.  That was kinda our relationship’s version of playing “catch”.  🙂

Is it safe to assume that your dad wouldn't care if you had the outdoor game Jarts? 

Some of the things that my parents let me have as a kid were a heckuva lot more dangerous than Jarts (lawn darts).   They wouldn't let me have Jarts.

I remember my dad dragging me into a smoke filled bowling alley on Friday night's so he could play in his league.   The bowling alley smelled like cigarette, cigar, and pipe, smoke.  I have never smoked in my life, but I have breathed in enough second hand smoke in my lifetime to choke a horse.   The stench of stale beer was also evident.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Nashville said:

My father got out of the military not too long after I was born, but he had a touch of The Great Santini about him;

"Shut your yaps and police this place up, sports fans!"?  Sorry to hear that, Nashville. I read the book and then saw the movie.😱

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

"Shut your yaps and police this place up, sports fans!"?  Sorry to hear that, Nashville. I read the book and then saw the movie.😱

No worries.  Pa wasn’t 100% full-blown “Bull”-ish - especially not the drinking - but it took him a little while to adjust to life outside the constraints of military expectations and norms, and the drill sergeant discipline and behaviors took a LONG time to shake loose.  Also probably didn’t help that his only son was a four-eyed liberal intellectual with a big brain and even bigger mouth (yeah, we got those in the South too).  😄

• Like 3