radishcake

Small Talk: Ughngnggh! Ugghhnnn!

2 hours ago, Superclam said:

Remember Pixie Sticks? They didn't even try to hide the fact that they were just sugar with a little color and sour added in.

Pixy Stix were, like, fucking great.  Back when I was helping coach my oldest daughter’s Little League softball team, one of the team moms had bought something like several cases of the stuff and would hand them out to the girls right before each game.  We rode to a perfect 14-0 season on the back of those diabetes-inducing little fuckers.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

I heard of turkish delight but didn't know what it was. And treacle, wtf is treacle?

I can officially say I'm all bruised up on my knees for valentines day. I just biffed it in the hallway tripping over a stool. but that's not how I'll tell it.

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

16 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

We also used to break off icicles outside and eat them like suckers. Imagine, with all those germs yet we survived somehow.

When I was a kid and Mother was cooking sausages, I always nicked at least one and ate it raw, delicious, when cooking rashers of bacon she used to cut off the rind and layer of bright white fat, I used to grip the fat between my teeth and pull the rind off, then eat the fat, totally raw, she baked loads of cakes and I used to eat all the scrapings of left over mixture, raw eggs and all. I never once got ill  and I never get stomach upsets to this day, just lucky? Mmmmmm,  if a parent let their child do that today the kid would end up in care 🤢

• Like 2
  • Laugh 2

18 hours ago, Nashville said:

Ever see Marathon Man, with Dustin Hoffman?  I saw it as a teen, and the “interrogation scene” in that movie reinforced a phobia about dentists I didn’t shake until I was in my thirties.

One of my favorite movies that I still watch. 

Also a big fan of  "Three Days of the Condor".  Now that is a scary flick.

I watched "Deliverance" the day after Christmas.  Nothing says the holidays like Ned Beatty running up a hill.

6 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Remember when the candy was all behind the glass counter, the store man would take a tiny paper bag, you could pick what you wanted and get the bag full for 0.05 cents? This discussion sent me to  Google and look! You can buy this again! I loved the vanilla one.

https://www.amazon.com/Bonomo-Turkish-Flavor-Variety-Bundle/dp/B01313XE9G

Turkish Taffy is a dentist's dream. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Superclam said:

Remember Pixie Sticks? They didn't even try to hide the fact that they were just sugar with a little color and sour added in. Same thing with those pouches of sugar that came with a hard candy paddle to slurp it up with. 

My lips are puckering just thinking of the sour flavor.

I was never much of a fan of Circus peanuts.  

• Like 2
  • Laugh 1

I would think the unopened cereal prizes could be worth something and certainly the baseball cards.

I used to love getting temporary tattoos as the prizes in crack jack. Most were duds. I never liked fruity cereal. Captain crunch was my favorite. of course, gotta eat with milk and cereal separate and only 1 spoonful meets at a time. and never ever ever drink the milk! blech.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

I watched "Deliverance" the day after Christmas.  Nothing says the holidays like Ned Beatty running up a hill.

The movie is great. The acting is stellar and mostly follows the book exactly, but although the homosexual rape occured, the long, drawn-out "Squeal like a pig" didn't happen in the book at all. I must say that this was Burt Reynold's finest moment. He was book Lewis, through and through. I read the book before I saw the movie and wasn't disappointed. I think it's the memory of that movie that made me see Joe and the Claimers as so frightening.

3 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

When I was a kid and Mother was cooking sausages, I always nicked at least one and ate it raw, delicious, when cooking rashers of bacon she used to cut off the rind and layer of bright white fat, I used to grip the fat between my teeth and pull the rind off, then eat the fat, totally raw, she baked loads of cakes and I used to eat all the scrapings of left over mixture, raw eggs and all.

Raw pork. Jesus! Haha! When my mother was cooking those sausages, I had to have them burned, like burned black. Burned sausages with ketchup - yum!

• Laugh 2

Also a big fan of  "Three Days of the Condor".  Now that is a scary flick.

Major fan of both the movie and the book (Seven Days of the Condor).

BTW - If you like that, you’d probably also enjoy The Eiger Sanction (book and/or movie); some very -ah- unique character studies involved.

Edited by Nashville
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, nachomama said:

I used to love getting temporary tattoos as the prizes in crack jack. Most were duds. I never liked fruity cereal. Captain crunch was my favorite. of course, gotta eat with milk and cereal separate and only 1 spoonful meets at a time. and never ever ever drink the milk! blech.

I was one of those kids that was far more interested in the prizes in the box than the cereal itself.  It didn't take long for my parents to figure that out.

Mail away offers were also pretty cool.  Mail away box tops for various things.

19 hours ago, OoohMaggie said:

When I was a kid and Mother was cooking sausages, I always nicked at least one and ate it raw, delicious, when cooking rashers of bacon she used to cut off the rind and layer of bright white fat, I used to grip the fat between my teeth and pull the rind off, then eat the fat, totally raw, she baked loads of cakes and I used to eat all the scrapings of left over mixture, raw eggs and all. I never once got ill  and I never get stomach upsets to this day, just lucky? Mmmmmm,  if a parent let their child do that today the kid would end up in care 🤢

Can't you get tapeworms from doing that?

What are the signs?  Does your ass uncontrollably wiggle when you walk? 😃

• Like 1
  • Laugh 2

17 hours ago, nachomama said:

I would think the unopened cereal prizes could be worth something and certainly the baseball cards.

Those were the days long before baseball cards had any real value (late 70s early 80s). 

I would imagine a lot of people aren't too happy that their baseball cards were tossed out by their parents.

I don't know what he did with the cereal prizes.  He moved a way a few decades ago, his parents have long since died, and the house they grew up in sold.😢

Edited by icemiser69

Speaking of wiggle, I remember as a kid when my parents allowed me to have the "Water Wiggle", but put their foot down when I asked for "Jarts".  Of the two, I always thought the Water Wiggle was far more dangerous because of its unpredictability.  I thought the Jarts were only a problem if somebody did something stupid with them. 

18 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

The movie is great. The acting is stellar and mostly follows the book exactly, but although the homosexual rape occured, the long, drawn-out "Squeal like a pig" didn't happen in the book at all. I must say that this was Burt Reynold's finest moment. He was book Lewis, through and through. I read the book before I saw the movie and wasn't disappointed. I think it's the memory of that movie that made me see Joe and the Claimers as so frightening.

By today's standards, Ned Beatty probably wouldn't have been considered obese.  Overweight, sure, but not obese.

I saw the movie on Turner Classic Movies and the host had talked about how Reynolds performed a stunt that landed him in the hospital. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I saw the movie on Turner Classic Movies and the host had talked about how Reynolds performed a stunt that landed him in the hospital. 

From the Wikipedia entry for Deliverance:

In one scene, the stunt coordinator decided that a scene showing a canoe with a dummy of Burt Reynolds in it looked phony; he said it looked "like a canoe with a dummy in it". Reynolds requested to have the scene re-shot with himself in the canoe rather than the dummy. After shooting the scene, Reynolds, coughing up river water and nursing a broken coccyx, asked how the scene looked. The director responded, "like a canoe with a dummy in it".

😆

• Like 3
  • Laugh 1

17 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Can't you get tapeworms from doing that?

What are the signs?  Does your ass uncontrollably wiggle when you walk? 😃

Oh for the innocence of childhood!

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

18 hours ago, Nashville said:

From the Wikipedia entry for Deliverance:

In one scene, the stunt coordinator decided that a scene showing a canoe with a dummy of Burt Reynolds in it looked phony; he said it looked "like a canoe with a dummy in it". Reynolds requested to have the scene re-shot with himself in the canoe rather than the dummy. After shooting the scene, Reynolds, coughing up river water and nursing a broken coccyx, asked how the scene looked. The director responded, "like a canoe with a dummy in it".

😆

I thought there was a scene missing from the movie.  Normally TCM shows their movies uncut.

Burt Reynold's character ends up with a compound fracture of the leg after he ends up falling out of the boat.  They had no problems showing the injury.  However, they never showed the leg being "set" and stabilized.  All of a sudden he has his leg immobilized with a couple of oars and other material strapped to that leg. 

TCM showed "The Bad Seed" (1956) last night.. That movie gives me the creeps.  I can't watch it.

I recorded Hitchcock's "Life Boat".   I have never watched it.

Tonight on TCM they are airing  "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World".  One of my favorite movies.  That is a long movie.  Great cast.

Edited by icemiser69

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I thought there was a scene missing from the movie.  Normally TCM shows their movies uncut.

The scene most frequently cut is a little more -ah- detailed examination of Ned Beatty's tribulations.

Burt Reynold's character ends up with a compound fracture of the leg after he ends up falling out of the boat.  They had no problems showing the injury.  However, they never showed the leg being "set" and stabilized.  All of a sudden he has his leg immobilized with a couple of oars and other material strapped to that leg. 

The leg break was scripted; the tailbone break, not so much. 😉

• Like 1

I recorded Hitchcock's "Life Boat".   I have never watched it.

Such a great movie!! A full drama unfolds with a small cast and one set. You can only have that with great actors. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nashville said:

The leg break was scripted; the tailbone break, not so much

Right. The broken leg, with the bone protruding through the skin was in the book, which went into more detail about that. I highly recommend the book.

Another interesting tidbit: When "Banjo Boy" was supposed to turn away from Ronny Cox he wouldn't do it, since he liked Cox, so Ned Beatty was told to stand behind Cox. Banjo boy didn't like Beatty, so he turned away.

IMO, one of the greatest scenes ever:

• Like 1