OnceSane

S18.E08: Cock Magic

Kenny excels at playing the game, Magic: The Gathering. He has the boys' full attention until a new, hard-core activity gets in the way. When Wendy tries to get Stan to pay attention to what she's doing, she realizes that what he does with his guy friends always comes first.

Not gonna lie, I laughed really hard at the cockfighting roosters playing Magic.

So not only is Randy Lorde but also the Great Flydini? I loved how the drum music followed Randy everywhere, plus we saw an actual drummer.

This episode was great up until that ending. Still no clue what's going on.

People still play Magic: The Gathering? Yu-Gi-Oh! made more sense to me, as least when the anime was on. What saves the episode? Cocks fighting with cards instead of talons, and the Amazingly Randy. Seriously, when was the last time Stan facepalmed over his father's sheer stupidity?

I did think the bit with the dong coming out of the cop's mouth was overkill. Brrrrrrrrrrrr.

This episode didn't do that much for me.

Their Magic accuracy was maybe 50%. They used real card names and reasonable mockups of cardbacks, but the gameplay was pretty off.  Not nearly as good as the WoW episode.  (Although miles better than that Magic-like card game they pretend to play on Big Bang Theory.)

I understand why.  They took a 20-minute game about bluffing and making odds calls and turned it into a 20-second action sequence.  I don't blame them for doing that given the plot they wanted - and sometimes I think the Magic's developers would rather the game played that way as well.  But it made the whole think seem more like a cheap reference than theme-inspired episode.  (Again, unlike when they did WoW.)

Randy was very much in character.  But since they already had a ridiculous Randy theme this season with Lorde, I kept wondering why they'd dropped that.  Either Lorde should have been a 1-episode thing or they should have run it throughout the season and not made him Amazingly Randy

Overall I could only give the episode a C.  One of the weaker episodes for me this season along with The Cissy.

Edited by Amarsir

Ha, all i could think about while watching this was the cock fighting episode on Seinfeld: "Jerry, it's 3:30 in the morning. I'm at a cock fight. What am I clinging to?"

Then when Amazingly Randy pretended to guillotine his own cock at a six year old's birthday part, I was reminded of Phoebe's date on Friends saying, "I write erotic novels for children. They're wildly unpopular." How or why Randy thought his act was appropriate for a kiddie party is beyond me! I did love the drummer in the bathroom.

This episode was hilarious to me. I have never played Magic the Gathering, but everything was so absurd that I didn't care. These are my favorite kinds of episodes: no jumbled, half-assed social commentary, just some wacky, bizarre insanity. Don't get me wrong, sometimes they get social commentary right, but lately they completely miss the mark with it. When Randy first started his cock magic, I sat there with my mouth agape. And then there he was with the drummer in the bathroom, and then with the birthday party, and then as the cock magic halftime show. It just kept getting weirder and weirder and I loved it.

I realize I occasionally can have the humor of a 12 year old, but every time Randy was doing his cock magic routine, I was in tears. The boys on the couch just staring in horror, with a Stan face palm (which in and of themselves always funny to me), mixed with Randy's delighted face was perfect.

• Like 2

We get it.. You're allowed to say shit. I'm not liking this season at all so far. Damn. 

Yeah. They started doing that on American Dad since it moved to TBS and I don't find it nearly as funny as the bleeps.

Randy's cock magic was hilarious.

• Like 2

This episode was hilarious to me. I have never played Magic the Gathering, but everything was so absurd that I didn't care.

I like when they do absurd. You didn't need to have played the game to get it; it wasn't about the game. It's roosters playing cards! 

This season has been great for Randy. Usually he just overreacts and does stupid stuff. He actually has things going on. There was a drummer in the bathroom with him. I was dying. 

When Randy seemed to cut off his own penis, I initially thought it was real and there was going to be a "Randy accidentally cuts off his own dick" subplot.

I like when they do absurd. You didn't need to have played the game to get it; it wasn't about the game. It's roosters playing cards! 

Exactly! They could have been playing euchre and it would have been just as ridiculous.

This episode didn't do that much for me.

Their Magic accuracy was maybe 50%. They used real card names and reasonable mockups of cardbacks, but the gameplay was pretty off.  Not nearly as good as the WoW episode.  (Although miles better than that Magic-like card game they pretend to play on Big Bang Theory.)

I understand why.  They took a 20-minute game about bluffing and making odds calls and turned it into a 20-second action sequence.  I don't blame them for doing that given the plot they wanted - and sometimes I think the Magic's developers would rather the game played that way as well.  But it made the whole think seem more like a cheap reference than theme-inspired episode.  (Again, unlike when they did WoW.)

The Magic the Gathering inaccuracies bothered me, but yeah, I understand why they had to alter the game-play that way for the show.

The WoW episode was awesome, but I did have a gripe about how they could grind up to level 60 by killing level 5 pigs (I'm not sure of the exact level they stated in the episode) for days on end. We all know that once you get to a certain level, those level 5 pigs will no longer give any XP!  

Randy's Cock Magic was the best part of the episode. 

Was there any continuity to previous episodes this season? I didn't catch any specific reference.

Yes.  Randy apparently is doing concerts as Lorde b/c his son squandered all his money on Terrance & Phillip's crappy "freebie" video game.

I loved how the drum music followed Randy everywhere, plus we saw an actual drummer.

Wait, there was an actual drummer with Randy in the bathroom? I thought he was practicing playing drums with his penis.

People still play Magic: The Gathering? Yu-Gi-Oh! made more sense to me, as least when the anime was on. What saves the episode? Cocks fighting with cards instead of talons, and the Amazingly Randy.

The best part was roosters randomly drawing cards from a deck being better than playing it the way it's sppsd to be played.

When Randy seemed to cut off his own penis, I initially thought it was real and there was going to be a "Randy accidentally cuts off his own dick" subplot.

That's exactly what I thought had happened.