CofCinci

Serial

2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I really want to know more about Faye, the town clerk. Something was very weird there with her and that list of people John knew.

Me too. It was just so damned shady with that list. And of all people why did John pick her to call during? 

Spoiler

Maybe she took the money from the freezer and not Tyler....

• Like 1

Her not calling the men at all was just wrong, but calling the cousins first--while also wrong--made more sense when it was revealed that Rita had lived there and she & her husband own property there.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was left with mixed opinions on both Rita and Tyler by the end, when earlier I had felt one was "good" and the other "bad."

And what is with the town hall having lists of people's friends?!

• Like 1

I cannot stand John.

Spoiler

He definitely had a mental illness and likely had mercury poisoning

but he's such a narcissistic ass that I feel no sympathy for him.

On 4/15/2017 at 9:32 AM, ABay said:

Her not calling the men at all was just wrong, but calling the cousins first--while also wrong--made more sense when it was revealed that Rita had lived there and she & her husband own property there.

I think the part that Brian never focused on but that made the most sense, is that Faye called the cousins first because they were family.   I can't even imagine how traumatic it must have been for her and I'm assuming she really was in shock afterward.   By the way, episode 7 was one of the most difficult things I've ever listened to.  

I'm going to spoiler tag the rest just in case anyone is still listening: 

I liked that in the end S-Town wasn't about small town corruption, a murder mystery, or even simply about despair in a modern world, although there were elements of that throughout.  

It was equal parts the incredibly sad fate of people experiencing social isolation at John's level and a micro representation of so many of the social ills that plague us.   Despite literally having to cover my ears, as was my husband, during much of the "Church" self-harm material, I think it was included mostly to show that John's deteriorating mental state could be charted very easily as coming to a fevered pitch at the end of his life.  

I appreciated knowing that there was a likely cause -- mercury poisoning -- and that he had been a different sort of man earlier in his life.  I found him very interesting but constantly off-putting.  It's clear that the last year of his life was just a long march of emotional agony, and he simply lost the will to keep going on.  I thought it was truly heartbreaking that Mary Grace actually got better in the care of the cousins because John's increasing tendency to isolate himself isolated her also.   

I was in floods of tears at the end though.  John was a man who was as cursed as he was blessed.  It was Tyler who raised the most questions for me.  He was playing by the rules of life as he understood them but by the end of John's life, his relationship with Tyler was detrimental to both of them.  

It was as if every problem that we can see on the macro level -- systemic corruption, rampant greed, increasingly overt racism, the price of loneliness and the weight of what we have done to the world in terms of our environment -- was in this story.  But I did think Brian Green, who was wonderful throughout and clearly cared about John, gave a hint as to what may have happened to his money.  Two separate times people asked him to turn off the tape and go off the record.  He did so.  Both times the subject was whether there might be some money there, or in Tyler's case, whether or not he found it.  

This was one of the best podcasts I'd listened to in a while, all the way through episode 5.  Episode 6 was probably a little too much time devoted to it but it did ultimately emphasize how lonely John really was in the world.  Episode 7 is something I never want to sit through again.  Not because it was bad, simply because it was incredibly difficult and uncomfortable.  

• Like 1

I keep trying to get into S-Town, but listening to John is terribly exhausting. I mean, the guy compared his old school to Auschwitz for goodness sake; you'd expect that sort of attitude from a 16-year-old, certainly not a 40+ year old man. He might be more well-read than his neighbors, but he's certainly not any more impressive. 

• Like 3

The trailer for season three of Serial is up. First episode drops on 9/20.

Well, the trailer just brought my rage level up about forty three notches. Our criminal justice system is so broken.

Two episodes in, and I'm already way more engaged than I was with S2.

I'm going to guess the judge profiled in the second episode is going to have a harder time winning reelection in November, had this not aired.

• Like 5